Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress off Batman posted:

It's Scotland op, not Serbia. Serbia isn't yet a member of the African Union.

I always get my Baltics confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Junior G-man posted:

So apparently the EC President was campaigning on behalf of the EPP candidate in Serbia.

Not that anyone here in Vanuatu even noticed that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

i say swears online posted:

I always get my Baltics confused

Telling the steppe-countries apart can be a challenge, yes.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I don't know where to put this, but it's pretty loving amazing.

So, Novo Banco, a bank that was created once BES was dissolved in Portugal, has the "good" assets from that bank - the good loans etc.

It was sold to Lone Star funds, and the guy chosen to lead it (Byron Haines) came from another fund called Cerberus.

Now, Novo Banco has been a headache for the Portugal taxpayer. Every year it has billions in losses, and in the sales contract basically any losses have to be compensated by the taxpayer's money for some reason (lmfao).

Apparently a whistleblower has send a complaint to the EU authority that Novo Banco has at one point sold 300 million in assets that the bank had with a 70% discount to.. Cerberus.

So Lone Star is effectively pillaging and looting everything in the bank, probably to leave the carcass in a few years, while on the other side the taxpayer money goes in. Just loving incredible stuff guys, capitalism at its best.

No one will ever be arrested for this. No one will pay for any of it. But the social destruction of Portugal by other empires is pretty ironic.

https://www.publico.pt/2020/07/08/economia/noticia/novo-banco-vendeu-activos-70-desconto-fundo-chairman-ligado-1923514

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pretty sure Lone Star is supposed to be a security company in the cyberpunk dystopia, not another dumb hedge fund or whatever. These assholes can't even get the basics right.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure Lone Star is supposed to be a security company in the cyberpunk dystopia, not another dumb hedge fund or whatever. These assholes can't even get the basics right.

in this cyberpunk dystopia it's hedge funds all the way down, baby

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Imagine having a bank which has a contract that its losses are covered by the taxpayer. Would you:

A) Make loads of wildly risky loans, sell off the successful ones to a fully private entity (at a discount, while putting the kickbacks directly into your own pockets) while billing the taxpayer for the inevitable trash fires that remain on the books

or

B) Knowingly buy bad loans from other banks at a premium, knowing you can turn them into more money at the taxpayers expense

The correct answer of course is por que não os dois.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah this modern trend of just transferring public money to besuited vampires really sucks!!!!!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah this modern trend of just transferring public money to besuited vampires really sucks!!!!!

Oooh look, a racist, Russian nazibrexiteer that wants refugees and children not protected by the EU, I see!

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

If we support the banks with public money does that mean the wealth that's available to the banks is considered a public good and can be used to subsidize public works and give everyone a guaranteed income? Or am I being silly?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Very silly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

An insane mind posted:

If we support the banks with public money does that mean the wealth that's available to the banks is considered a public good and can be used to subsidize public works and give everyone a guaranteed income? Or am I being silly?

Nah. The money given to a bank is called a capital injection to propel investments the banks make forward.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Bloomberg - EU Powers Suffer Shock Defeat as Irish Take Key Finance Job posted:

The euro region’s smallest nations staged an uprising to put one of their own in charge of finance ministers’ meetings and strike a blow against the bloc’s major powers.

Ireland’s Paschal Donohoe won a secret ballot of 19 colleagues Thursday to become president of the Eurogroup, defeating the Spanish favorite, Nadia Calvino, who was backed by the European Union’s four biggest economies.

Germany, France, Italy and particularly Spain were angered by a loss that they failed to see coming, said one official with knowledge of the process. Smaller countries from eastern Europe said they felt that in backing Donohoe they were supporting one of their own, said another.

The fact that both leading candidates came from countries that were bailed out during the sovereign debt crisis is a sign that the EU is ready to turn the page on the divisions of the austerity years. Yet the small countries’ revolt is all the same an ominous statement of intent ahead of summit talks next week where Germany and France are trying to win backing for a massive stimulus package to revive the economy after the coronavirus.

“We need an understanding for the positions of small and medium-sized economies,” said Gernot Bluemel, the Austrian finance minister. “Ireland has pursued a disciplined reform agenda in recent years and knows the challenges and requirements of the European aid mechanisms.”

While the result is a sign of the unease in much of the EU at what are seen as strong-arm tactics from the big countries, it’s also testament to the charm of a 45-year-old Dubliner who positioned himself as a bridge builder who could span the divide between the fiscally conservative northern nations and southern governments hardest hit by the pandemic.

“It’s an interesting coalition you managed to pull together,” the former Irish prime minister and now enterprise minister, Leo Varadkar, told Donohoe at a press conference in Dublin.

Donohoe’s relaxed, personable qualities were present from his earliest days as finance minister in 2017.

He was looking after his children at the family’s redbrick home in north Dublin when two senior officials turned up with the paperwork for the sale of a government stake in AIB Group Plc.

With the Irish taxpayer set for a windfall of 3 billion euros ($3.4 billion), Donohoe told his aides to get a photo of the signing so that he could post it on social media. But when he looked at the picture, he decided that his garb of shorts and a hoodie didn’t quite strike the right tone.

The picture never did see the light of day.

“People like Paschal, regardless of rank,” said Feargal Purcell, a director at public relations firm Edelman who grew to know Donohoe well when he was a government spokesman. “He’s that irresistible combination of intelligence and likeability, a man who smiles and delivers.”

Blue-Collar Votes
It’s been a swift rise for Donohoe, who was first elected to the Irish parliament in 2011. A member of the center-right Fine Gael party, he has since held his seat in the mainly blue-collar area where Mary Lou McDonald, leader of the left wing group Sinn Fein, also has her constituency. As he campaigned for his colleagues’ votes, he told them that background had gotten him used to cut-throat electoral fights.

Donohoe has consistently preached of the need for fiscal discipline, while also endorsing southern Europe’s push for the mutualization of debt during the coronavirus crisis. He’s gone along with international efforts to overhaul the global corporate tax system, while remaining adamant that smaller countries in the bloc need the right to set their own tax rates.

Some Highlights From Paschal Donohoe’s Career
His ascent is also testament to Ireland’s success in building alliances with other like-minded EU nations such as the Baltic and Benelux countries in the wake of the U.K.’s exit from the bloc. Former Irish central bank governor Philip Lane is now the European Central Bank’s chief economist. Former government minister Phil Hogan holds the pivotal job of European Trade Commissioner.

‘Teak Tough’
At the same time, Donohoe is a skilled political operator willing to take tough decisions. As transport minister in 2015, he pushed ahead with the sale of Aer Lingus Group Plc to IAG SA in the face of union opposition and concern it may cost his party votes in his north Dublin district, where many of the airline’s workers lived.

He’s faced down bankers in their quest to win the return of bonuses, banned after the state bailouts and on a recent call with business leaders, he reproached one prominent figure, who had used a high-profile radio slot to call for a cut in sales tax, according to a person who was on the call.

The chief executive would have been better advised to use the time to reassure customers on the safety of his reopened business, Donohoe told him, saying he had heard his tax pitch before.

“People know he’s teak tough,” said Purcell. “And he’s not finished yet.”

The major economies can try, and may often, set the agenda but structurally it's only possible by broad consent.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Owling Howl posted:

The major economies can try, and may often, set the agenda but structurally it's only possible by broad consent.

Lol this reads like a complete shitheel who's good at public relations.no wonder Bloomberg wrote this glowing profile.
"Hard and fair tax reform but nations can still be tax havens" gently caress offfff

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I had similar concerns so I asked an Irish mate for feedback and he linked me to an article from the irish times, which just quotes the bloomberg article in its entirety

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So let me get this guy's position straight: he is there to safeguard the right of Ireland to be a tax haven, while getting the larger economies to pay for Irish debt.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Irish person here - Pascal's not terrible but hes in no way good either. Hes intelligent, likable, and competent. But ideologically hes also an entirely milquetoast centre-right jerk.

So basically he won't gently caress anything up terribly, he'll get along with everyone, and he'll talk a good talk/have good PR about things. But hes also just going to completely defend the status quo.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
"The candidate supported by the big powers, who lost, was the candidate of big economic stimulus" sounds like ultrabullshit to me.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dawncloack posted:

"The candidate supported by the big powers, who lost, was the candidate of big economic stimulus" sounds like ultrabullshit to me.

Germany and France just wanted to give money away to everyone else but they wouldn’t take it!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blut posted:

Irish person here - Pascal's not terrible but hes in no way good either. Hes intelligent, likable, and competent. But ideologically hes also an entirely milquetoast centre-right jerk.

So basically he won't gently caress anything up terribly, he'll get along with everyone, and he'll talk a good talk/have good PR about things. But hes also just going to completely defend the status quo.

O'Donoghue's likability only extends as far as his colleagues. On the ground he is not liked and as minister for finance he continued to push austerity.

Nothing will change.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

O'Donoghue's likability only extends as far as his colleagues. On the ground he is not liked and as minister for finance he continued to push austerity.

Nothing will change.

He got the second highest % of first preference votes in his constituency that elects 4 candidates in the last two elections, and topped the poll there in his the election before those. All the while being a centre-right, pro-rich people politician but representing a largely working class constituency. A constituency that regularly in the past had no Fine Gael (his party, for non-Irish readers) TDs (MPs) at all. I don't agree with his views at all either but its quite factually incorrect to argue hes not liked. He definitely over-performs in terms of vote getting.

Anecdotally according to any (non-FG) civil service people I know who've worked with him hes also very likable in a professional setting apparently. Much more-so than some of his party colleagues.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Im not doubting you Blut, but this is pretty funny: the dude was elected with 13% of the vote, or a whoping 6k votes in is favour,2k of which was from ranked choice?
I love ireland.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blut posted:

He got the second highest % of first preference votes in his constituency that elects 4 candidates in the last two elections, and topped the poll there in his the election before those. All the while being a centre-right, pro-rich people politician but representing a largely working class constituency. A constituency that regularly in the past had no Fine Gael (his party, for non-Irish readers) TDs (MPs) at all. I don't agree with his views at all either but its quite factually incorrect to argue hes not liked. He definitely over-performs in terms of vote getting.

Anecdotally according to any (non-FG) civil service people I know who've worked with him hes also very likable in a professional setting apparently. Much more-so than some of his party colleagues.

I would hardly say getting in on the 9th count while being a very high profile minister shows his popularity, even amongst his constituents. Also what are you talking about with regards to Dublin Central? FG have held seats there nearly constantly since 1981. The three elections they failed to get a seat there were elections where FG had significant losses across the country. In certain years they held half the seats available in the constituency.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

I would hardly say getting in on the 9th count while being a very high profile minister shows his popularity, even amongst his constituents. Also what are you talking about with regards to Dublin Central? FG have held seats there nearly constantly since 1981. The three elections they failed to get a seat there were elections where FG had significant losses across the country. In certain years they held half the seats available in the constituency.

In the last 20 years from 2002-2011 there were no FG seats in the constituency. Which included the 2007 election, when FG won a higher % of votes nationally than in either 2016 or 2020 - both elections in which, in contrast, O'Donohue got elected easily. And their candidate in 1992 only scraped in on the last count. Pre 1990 it was safer FG territory, but back then support for both Fianna Fail &FG was so high almost every constituency had a safe seat for both of them. Since the party system has been fracturing more in the last 30~ years it hasn't been a safe FG seat by any metric.

Again, you mightn't like him, but if Mary Lou (the Sinn Fein party leader for non-Irish readers, one of the 3 highest profile politicians in the country) wasn't his constituency rival Pascal would be topping the poll in his constituency. You cant claim "on the ground he is not liked" when hes spent a decade repeatedly getting easily elected in a constituency that a different FG candidate would struggle in, that these days isn't their territory at all.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The European General Court has ruled that Ireland does not need to reclaim 13 billion euros in tax breaks from Apple. The European Commission saw this tax ruling with Apple as illegal state aid but unfortunately the court disagrees.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

u brexit ukip it posted:

The European General Court has ruled that Ireland does not need to reclaim 13 billion euros in tax breaks from Apple. The European Commission saw this tax ruling with Apple as illegal state aid but unfortunately the court disagrees.

A greased court no doubt. Giving pref treatment to apple and Google is a sticking it to china move.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The European General Court has just ruled that the US is too stupid to protect European user data, so Privacy Shield is dead.

Bad news for Google, Facebook and Co.

Edith:

Ironically, this happened because someone sued Facebook Ireland over them sending user data to their mother corporation in the US.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 16, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Libluini posted:

The European General Court has just ruled that the US is too stupid to protect European user data, so Privacy Shield is dead.

Edith:

Ironically, this happened because someone sued Facebook Ireland over them sending user data to their mother corporation in the US.

Still confused about the implications.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Libluini posted:

Edith:

Privacy shield was a joke anyway when the US had the Patriot Act that enabled spying on all "foreigners".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Privacy shield was a joke anyway when the US had the Patriot Act that enabled spying on all "foreigners".

The Patriot Act was part of the reasoning for the Court decision. Soon sending user data to the US will be illegal, if the EU and the US can't agree on a third deal to replace the two that now have failed in a row.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Well, sorry about those litany of failings Italy, we'll probably gently caress it up again next time

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

This article, imo, works very hard to pin the EU failures on overlooks, and the EC being just a week in, but doesnt do Italy the same favor.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

I dunno, it reads as bureaus within the EU only with advisory capacity instead of real power, delayed by burocratic redtape (love the croatia bit), then when poo poo got real every country told everyone else to suck it.

I mean lol
"Meanwhile, the virus was continuing to quietly seed. On 30 January, two Chinese tourists in Rome tested positive for coronavirus. The Italian government immediately banned all flights to and from China and sought a meeting of EU health ministers to push for stricter entry screening measures across Europe.
But the meeting took three weeks to organise. The Croatian government, responsible for convening it as holder of the rolling EU council presidency, had become embroiled in a financial scandal during which the prime minister, Andrej Plenković, had been forced to fire his health minister, Milan Kujundžić. By the time health ministers did finally meet on 13 February, pockets of cases were sprouting.
The response to the coronavirus threat had been “prompt and effective” declared the new Croatian minister of health, chairing the council meeting."

Or the italian representative missing a meeting because he didnt see a email.
The article is people_caught_with_their_pants_down.txt

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
My fave is still the French health minister resigning in mid-February to run for mayor in Paris, replacing the former candidate of her party who dropped out after a bunch of dick pics he sent were leaked online. She crashed and burned, predictably.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
My fave is how the mask came off (heh) and it became blindingly obvious that many politicians' only goal is full FYGM while performing any public service is a secondary goal for them at most.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just so we maintain belgium's reputation as a ... unique political union, evidence # 151412:

quote:

"Within the Flemish government there is a real awareness that the situation is serious", says political journalist Pieterjan De Smedt. "But a real interview was not possible: not with Jan Jambon nor with Wouter Beke, whom we would have liked to talk to about contact tracing. It is said that the virus is spreading rapidly among the population, and in fact contact tracing is not going well at all in Flanders".

De Smedt remarks something else remarkable. "Two of my colleagues, a sound engineer and a cameraman had just arrived and when they saw [Flemish ministers] Hilde Crevits and Bart Somers clambering out the back window. The spokespersons of the Flemish government emphasize that we shouldn't seek any ill intent from this moment, because Bart Somers apparently had to leave urgently, and that this was the shortest way to leave. Strange scenes, though."

Just ... I'm just done with this kangaroo court. I can't even mock this poo poo anymore. It's all too exhausting

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 17, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They just had to go and pick up some steamed hams.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bart probably had to leave on vacation before we lock down again, as now that we're getting the daily numbers again instead of weekly averages it's obvious that we're heading into a second wave of covid-19.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They were clearly getting it on, and had to get out of there to avoid a scandal. It's happened before with Flemish politicians

People say Belgium is boring, but we're actually the sensual Brazil of Europe, only with pudgy middle-aged people instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you can call us belgians many things, 'sensual' is NOT one of them.