Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Title change and a bunch of pictures of smoked meat. It's Christmas in July!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp garlic
1 Tbsp onion
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I use Amazing Ribs' "Meathead's Memphis Dust Dry Rub"

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup American paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Slather up the pork with plain yellow mustard and pat that stuff on, as much as will stick.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
Tablespoon of garlic, onion, pepper, cayenne powders.

Slather with mustard, coat heavily with rub.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bless.

(Now to figure out what American paprika is!)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Bless.

(Now to figure out what American paprika is!)

Sweet paprika, as opposed to the spicy Hungarian paprika or smoked paprika.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Subjunctive posted:

Hit me with a good rub recipe for pulled pork, not too spicy. I’m stuck in a rut.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I use either this or meathead's rub depending on what I'm smoking. You'll see that some rubs have a considerable amount of sugar or none at all. I feel like the sugar is important to building a good bark on a long smoke, but doesn't really carmelize properly on a shorter smoke.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been using the Pork Barrel rub from Costco (because I am lazy) and I mix it 50/50 with brown sugar for stuff like pork butts. Ribs I just use it straight.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Canuckistan posted:

I think he's saying that electric ovens will cycle over and under the target temperature, and that the MES will have the same behavior.

Yepper.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah I gotcha. I was still surprised to see how much of a curve it does though. Looks like I could either deal with it or buy a PID for $150 to get the range a bit tighter.

Honestly I might just sell this thing and get a WSM or something down the road. I’ve tried using it probably ten different times and gotten decent results twice. I’d like to have something that can finish chicken so the skin is a bit better as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

nwin posted:

Ah I gotcha. I was still surprised to see how much of a curve it does though. Looks like I could either deal with it or buy a PID for $150 to get the range a bit tighter.

Honestly I might just sell this thing and get a WSM or something down the road. I’ve tried using it probably ten different times and gotten decent results twice. I’d like to have something that can finish chicken so the skin is a bit better as well.

Yeah, I never really thought of it before. When I first got into smoking it was mostly about controlling temps. On another forum a newbie was worried about going from 250-275 or whatever. The reply was, check your oven, you'll be amazed how well your smoker (in this case of course charcoal) does with temp fluctuation.

Not sure what your situation is with space/money/climate/etc. but I like having both options.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 6, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I know it was somewhere in this thread and I can't find it, but what are the vortex knockoffs on Amazon?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure what you're specifically asking, but if you simply search Weber vortex, all the knockoffs show up in the results as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

um excuse me posted:

Not sure what you're specifically asking, but if you simply search Weber vortex, all the knockoffs show up in the results as well.

Ah, that was helpful. I was searching for vortex ring and got all kinds of different crap.

Is there a preference in all these? This is for a 24"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Liquid Communism posted:

Sweet paprika, as opposed to the spicy Hungarian paprika or smoked paprika.

Ah, in Canada that’s either just “paprika”, “sweet paprika”, or “Spanish paprika”. I didn’t know that there was an American paprika tradition, and I guess didn’t notice it labeled that way when I lived in the US. Thanks!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, in Canada that’s either just “paprika”, “sweet paprika”, or “Spanish paprika”. I didn’t know that there was an American paprika tradition, and I guess didn’t notice it labeled that way when I lived in the US. Thanks!

I lived in America for a decade and I too never heard of 'American paprika' :shobon:

(just sweet vs spicy, same as anywhere else)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I would be shocked if most people can dial a traditional smoker to be more temperature accurate than a MES/oven. How about a pellet grill like a Traeger?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You guys are this close to making me upstream a ripple calculator to HeaterMeter.

“Commit 80e3739a: Calculate MMSE in your MES!”

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I would be shocked if most people can dial a traditional smoker to be more temperature accurate than a MES/oven. How about a pellet grill like a Traeger?

My WSM was all over the place. At best, +\- 25 degrees. But I didn’t have a gasket kit on it. I heard it improved greatly with better seals.

My BGE will hold the same temperature, +\-5 degrees for like 12 hours. That’s per the dome thermometer and my Weber iGrill thermometer. Don’t know if kamados count as traditional.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Internet Explorer posted:

My 22" WSM (with gaskets) can usually hold +/-5F (certainly +/-10F without breaking a sweat), and usually the biggest variations are going to be caused by it going in and out of the sun, or if the wind picks up. I can certainly hold it more accurately than either of my ovens hold temperature (and I assume an MES by extension as well).

The main difference is in how electric ovens work compared to burning a fuel source. Ovens are either ON or OFF, with no in between setting. So oven's have to cycle their element ON and OFF to try to maintain temperature at a set point - depending on the efficiency of the oven, and its available power, this will dictate the 'duty cycle' (or percentage of the time the element is ON vs. OFF) to maintain a given setting. Because oven heating elements are not super responsive (they take tens of seconds to fully come up to temp) and the oven itself is a large thermal mass, they can't be cycled ON and OFF quickly. So an oven may turn its element ON for 30-60 seconds at a time, let the temperature rise inside (my ovens are about +/-25F - so it will rise up 50F from the lowest point in it's cycle), then turn the element OFF and let it coast back down 50F over the course of minutes until it decides it needs to cycle again. And the difference between ON and OFF in this case is the full power of the oven, which for a standard kitchen oven is probably around 3-4kW of power. It is very hard to control temperature accurately when your only tools are zero power and 3-4kW of power. I assume an MES is better than a kitchen oven (because they are smaller and therefor should be more responsive) - but I assume they still cycle over a wider range than their setpoint would lead you to believe.

Compare this to burning charcoal (or gas, or pellets, or whatever) - where you can have a constant combustion rate going, set by the available fuel and oxygen intake - so your heat flux into the smoker can be very constant over long periods of time (vs. the ON/OFF of an electric). Things like huge water pans that increase the thermal mass inside the smoker further help to hold the temperature constant even if you have mild variations in combustion rate. With practice, you can dial in a really nice equilibrium that only gets disrupted by a) running out of fuel or b) external factors like sun/shade and wind/rain. Something like a BGE or something that is super well insulated and has a huge mass in itself should be able to do far better than a WSM.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My MES was pretty solid with only a +/-15F swing cycle based on my Fireboard data:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Starting the corned beef that will eventually become pastrami.

Started with a 14 pound brisket from Costco.

Then shaved 3 pounds of fat in the first trim.

Then split the point and flat...

...which took off another pound of fat

Toby came in to watch

Stuck it into he largest stock pot I have that's usually just for brining turkeys

Added a little salt

Then some of the other salt

Dumped in picking spices and 2 gallons of water

Then stuck it in the fridge...barely

I'll see it again in 12 days.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m very interested in the pastrami, but the inside of that fridge makes me want to give you a hug and a salad.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I just paged through the pictures but I'm going to assume that was a picture of the salt and pepper rub that flashed by quickly.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I’m very interested in the pastrami, but the inside of that fridge makes me want to give you a hug and a salad.

That has to be the beer/overflow fridge. Either way, I think those eggs are a leeeeetlle outdated.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

*Stares at $3600 in candles*

It's the second fridge used almost exclusively for hosting and the occasional couch crasher.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

BBBR is my favourite rub. I bought it randomly at a BBQ store about 5 years ago and got hooked. It's also incredibly good on chicken.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

um excuse me posted:

*Stares at $3600 in candles*

It's the second fridge used almost exclusively for hosting and the occasional couch crasher.

Oh, excellent. Have been tempted that way myself recently.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Penzey's Barbecue of the Americas. Ignore their suggestions, just cover ribs and pork shoulders with it. Their other rubs are good too, but Barbecue of the Americas :discourse:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

Penzey's Barbecue of the Americas. Ignore their suggestions, just cover ribs and pork shoulders with it. Their other rubs are good too, but Barbecue of the Americas :discourse:

I miss having a Penzey’s two blocks away, or indeed in the same country.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

This is super close to meathead’s Memphis dust recipe. I love penzey’s so I’m not saying don’t buy the premixed stuff, but I try to use their spices whenever I make up a batch of Memphis dust.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

VERTiG0 posted:

BBBR is my favourite rub. I bought it randomly at a BBQ store about 5 years ago and got hooked. It's also incredibly good on chicken.

It is great on veggies too. And just about everything else. If I am going with a store bought mix, I go with this and the Meat Church stuff.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would seem to me that most pork rubs revolve around brown sugar, paprika, and garlic. Anything else is just building off of that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Got the pork on the smoker, probably a late dinner tonight but oh well.

Boy, do I need to replace the gaskets though...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I use their BBQ 3000 and 3001 on lots of poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Got the pork on the smoker, probably a late dinner tonight but oh well.

Boy, do I need to replace the gaskets though...

Seems picturesque to me. I have two Weber's, neither of which have seals, it's like a steam train, baby

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Lawnie posted:

This is super close to meathead’s Memphis dust recipe. I love penzey’s so I’m not saying don’t buy the premixed stuff, but I try to use their spices whenever I make up a batch of Memphis dust.
I don't really like Memphis dust, so I had to compare!

Memphis dust: brown sugar, white sugar, sweet paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, ginger, onion, rosemary
Barbecue of the Americas: salt, paprika, allspice, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, black pepper, thyme, ginger, white pepper, cinnamon

I think even if you were to add sugar to BotA, they'd still have different flavor profiles. I agree using Penzey's to mix your own whatever is great, though!

tater_salad posted:

I use their BBQ 3000 and 3001 on lots of poo poo.
I have leftover BBQ 3001 ribs in my fridge right now :getin:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
To me, meathead's Memphis dust is defined by the crushed rosemary. Absolutely love it, adds a tangy note to the finished product that I couldn't place if I didn't know it was in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

um excuse me posted:

Seems picturesque to me. I have two Weber's, neither of which have seals, it's like a steam train, baby

There's a super weird and angry debate on the BGE forums about what gaskets to use. Apparently, many people on the forum recommend using industrial "Rutland" gaskets which aren't actually designed or approved for use around food since they contain fiberglass:
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1165663/best-replacement-gasket

An article on nakedwhiz about safety:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/rutlandgasketsafety.htm

But apparently they work super well and last forever and are better than all the competitors. Or something.

Have you guys waded into this flame war / have a strong opinion on gaskets?