Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

This isn't obvious at first but you need Valla's Bequest to keep up Momentum stacks, the extra pierce on Strafe greatly improves the proc rate.

Really? Everyone on the ~leaderboards~ is using dawn with fortress ballista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yeah, I haven't gotten a decent Valla's so I'm not using one. It's not hard at all to keep momentum up, just launch a manual arrow every four seconds. So I'm not honestly sure what the strafe pierce would add.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fortress Ballista is deff better for high level GR, I was just responding to how you can keep up Momentum easier with Valla's.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I can't figure out what to change.

1 Blood Rush - Metabolism
2 Corpse Explosion - Final Embrace
3 Command Skeleton - Frenzy
4 Command Golem - Flesh Golem
■□ Bone Spikes - Path of Bone
□■ Bone Spear - Shatter

Paragon 52, softcore, BARELY completed GR22, a couple legendaries and 2 set pieces but mostly rares.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

exquisite tea posted:

Fortress Ballista is deff better for high level GR, I was just responding to how you can keep up Momentum easier with Valla's.

Fair. But I'm asking "How/why does that work, what does Strafe piercing change about Momentum at all?"

I'll give it a try to see if I can tell a difference myself, of course. But I'm curious.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times ITT, but I couldn't find the answer in the past few pages. Do the number of stacks on this season's Trials of Tempests buff just determine how much damage the effect does when it goes off?

or does it just make those loving WHIRLWINDS LOUDER???

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

I can't figure out what to change.

1 Blood Rush - Metabolism
2 Corpse Explosion - Final Embrace
3 Command Skeleton - Frenzy
4 Command Golem - Flesh Golem
■□ Bone Spikes - Path of Bone
□■ Bone Spear - Shatter

Paragon 52, softcore, BARELY completed GR22, a couple legendaries and 2 set pieces but mostly rares.
Well, if you did GR22, then complete the rest of the journey and strap on the other four pieces of the set. Also, you'll need Bone Armor.

Beyond that, you'll probably want to upgrade some 2h scythes. Basically any combination of two (wear one, cube the other) combined with 6pc Inarius will give you more than enough DPS. Find some way to not die (Dayntee's and a curse, Widsom of Kalan, double unity, Razeth's or Aquilla in the cube, Lornelle's in a pinch, etc.) and you're golden.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bio347 posted:

Well, if you did GR22, then complete the rest of the journey and strap on the other four pieces of the set. Also, you'll need Bone Armor.

Beyond that, you'll probably want to upgrade some 2h scythes. Basically any combination of two (wear one, cube the other) combined with 6pc Inarius will give you more than enough DPS. Find some way to not die (Dayntee's and a curse, Widsom of Kalan, double unity, Razeth's or Aquilla in the cube, Lornelle's in a pinch, etc.) and you're golden.

It's not that set, I don't think. Every time I press X for 'Claim Reward' on the season reward screen, literally nothing happens and my mailbox is still not interactive.

mekyabetsu posted:

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times ITT, but I couldn't find the answer in the past few pages. Do the number of stacks on this season's Trials of Tempests buff just determine how much damage the effect does when it goes off?

or does it just make those loving WHIRLWINDS LOUDER???
I'm assuming it's based on DPS but have done no research at all toward this end.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mind over Matter posted:

Fair. But I'm asking "How/why does that work, what does Strafe piercing change about Momentum at all?"

Yeah this is where I'm at as well. Saying that the item helps keep momentum up without saying why when strafing doesn't do it in the first place doesn't help much.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tubgoat posted:

It's not that set, I don't think. Every time I press X for 'Claim Reward' on the season reward screen, literally nothing happens and my mailbox is still not interactive.

Are you opening the bags of loot that it gives you?

...is your inventory full when you try to claim them?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you opening the bags of loot that it gives you?

...is your inventory full when you try to claim them?

It may actually have been, but I'd think it would play a sound or message or otherwise indicate in even the most subtle fashion that further action was required from me.

Unrelated to quote, but I believe I have That One Broad's Sunstone cubed.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Mind over Matter posted:

But I'm asking "How/why does that work, what does Strafe piercing change about Momentum at all?"

Strafe piercing won't change anything about momentum stacks because projectiles from the 4p GoD bonus don't give you Momentum stacks even if they come from a pierced Strafe projectile, but Valla's does do something useful: since the 4p GoD bonus that fires off generators has a 9 frame internal cooldown and triggers on one of your Strafe projectiles hitting an enemy, if you end up with a 7 or 8 frame Strafe breakpoint (1.66-2.13 aps iirc) the Valla pierces' delayed damage (or rockets from that strafe rune) can add in 4p GoD triggers when you otherwise wouldn't get them. There's a big text dump translated from the chinese d163 forums that goes into further detail, and Wudijo has a couple videos that discuss it as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Strafe piercing won't change anything about momentum stacks because projectiles from the 4p GoD bonus don't give you Momentum stacks even if they come from a pierced Strafe projectile, but Valla's does do something useful: since the 4p GoD bonus that fires off generators has a 9 frame internal cooldown and triggers on one of your Strafe projectiles hitting an enemy, if you end up with a 7 or 8 frame Strafe breakpoint (1.66-2.13 aps iirc) the Valla pierces' delayed damage (or rockets from that strafe rune) can add in 4p GoD triggers when you otherwise wouldn't get them. There's a big text dump translated from the chinese d163 forums that goes into further detail, and Wudijo has a couple videos that discuss it as well.

This went way over my head and I think I'm gonna just keep using the other one that lets me do the ice path strafe rune because it gives my strafe the movespeed one too.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

bio347 posted:

Kadala simulator says not until 70. Simulacrum is the "expansion spell" for the necro anyway, so 61 would've been the absolute earliest.

Trip report on the new necro set: It is so incredibly refreshing to be able to play the class without reliance on the big cooldowns and shenanigans thereof, without needing to numlock something, and without exploding the second a monster looks at you. Mediocre top end power or not, irritating amulet reliance or not, A+++ would recommend.

Yeah I like it too, and I think once I get RORG and add Aughild's, I should be able to do like GR 90, maybe.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Tubgoat posted:

It may actually have been, but I'd think it would play a sound or message or otherwise indicate in even the most subtle fashion that further action was required from me.

Unrelated to quote, but I believe I have That One Broad's Sunstone cubed.

I don’t know if it’s this or not but they don’t go to your mailbox. Rewards go into the bag in your inventory where your cosmetics and gems are kept. It’s the top tab.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Tubgoat posted:

I'm assuming it's based on DPS but have done no research at all toward this end.

It looks like the stack number goes up by 1 for every kill, but I'm not sure what having additional stacks actually does when the effect goes off. Does anyone know?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

mekyabetsu posted:

It looks like the stack number goes up by 1 for every kill, but I'm not sure what having additional stacks actually does when the effect goes off. Does anyone know?
Its damage is based on the number of kills.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Thanks!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's amazing how powerful the Shadow Impale set is, it took me a fuckton of time to work my way up to GR 70 on other builds, but the sheer damage output of Impale meant that I could hit GR 70 relatively soon after I got my Dagger and Quiver.

Granted I died like once or twice, but even so, it's the first time I've ever managed to get a (useless) Primal this quickly.

My next GR (lowered to 55) also gave me a (useless) Primal.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

bio347 posted:

Its damage is based on the number of kills.

Gotcha. Thanks!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My first class in d3 was necro skeleton mages before I realized all the top end stuff was basically run around for a minute and blow all cooldowns and I hated that style so I’m really curious to play the new set!

I’d also like to try the new DH set, for now I am leveling one as my first class since it seems like a quick start

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'll choose not to read into the valla's discussion since I found a primal fortress ballista. :v:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Does anyone have this one the PS4 that is willing to level me up to 70? I got to about 40 yesterday and boy is it tedious.
RC_Cola_In_A_Can

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
How are tal rasha wizards these days, is it just a speed run build now?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Suburban Dad posted:

I'll choose not to read into the valla's discussion since I found a primal fortress ballista. :v:

I don't have a primal (or even ancient) one but I had a good one drop for me last night and yeah I'm on the ballista train now.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's amazing how powerful the Shadow Impale set is, it took me a fuckton of time to work my way up to GR 70 on other builds, but the sheer damage output of Impale meant that I could hit GR 70 relatively soon after I got my Dagger and Quiver.

Granted I died like once or twice, but even so, it's the first time I've ever managed to get a (useless) Primal this quickly.

My next GR (lowered to 55) also gave me a (useless) Primal.

The quiver helps so much with hate generation that just makes the build so much easier to play. I also was able to fly right into GR70 once I got the quiver and ancient KP, took about 250 paragon for kadala to stop giving me every other possible quiver but definitely the fastest I've hit primals for time invested.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Does anyone have this one the PS4 that is willing to level me up to 70? I got to about 40 yesterday and boy is it tedious.
RC_Cola_In_A_Can

I have a small group on early evening EST through late evening PST, you're more than welcome to come hop on with us

PSN: Waroduce

just tell me you're a goon and need a PL in the little note :)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I like how this weeks challenge rift is a LOD Monk that has only two ancient items equipped.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's called a challenge rift, not a casual rift!

Lol that's loving dumb

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I mean, LoD provides benefits if you're wearing non-ancients too. Considering that the Gift set is Sunwuko which works just fine for an LTK build I don't understand it, but it's not completely worthless.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

Dr. Krieger posted:

The quiver helps so much with hate generation that just makes the build so much easier to play. I also was able to fly right into GR70 once I got the quiver and ancient KP, took about 250 paragon for kadala to stop giving me every other possible quiver but definitely the fastest I've hit primals for time invested.

Out of curiosity, what build are you using? I'm trying out this one (the T16) and just struggle with hatred once I'm all tapped out.

The good news is that Impale just wrecks everything now, but I struggle against packs. Should I reintroduce fan of knives or put Grenades back in?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Things that aren't impale aren't going to do any meaningful damage. You can use the lightning rune instead of the cold on impale if you have hatred issues.

You're gonna need Karlei's Point and Holy Point Shot though.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

bamhand posted:

Things that aren't impale aren't going to do any meaningful damage. You can use the lightning rune instead of the cold on impale if you have hatred issues.

You're gonna need Karlei's Point and Holy Point Shot though.

This helps a lot and I was running bat companion and preperation-punishment for some cooldown based hatred when needed before I got HPS. You 100% need Karlei's though even if its just cubed.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Switching to the lightning rune on impale will make a massive difference to hatred (the splinters count for regenerating hatred from the set), without that, t16’s are super painful because everything gets one-shot.

On another note, GoD is insane. Before this season I’ve only ever cleared up to maybe 75? Currently I’m at 104 and speed clearing 95’s (3 min rifts) to level up my gems. My 104 was a 9m clear using gems at 84/84/26 (taeguk/primary skill damage/stricken). It’s absolutely insane.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I goofed and redeemed 2 of the 3 demon hunter seasonal rewards thinking it was the new set. Should I just get the last bit, or save it for a different class?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pinball Jizzard posted:

On another note, GoD is insane. Before this season I’ve only ever cleared up to maybe 75? Currently I’m at 104 and speed clearing 95’s (3 min rifts) to level up my gems. My 104 was a 9m clear using gems at 84/84/26 (taeguk/primary skill damage/stricken). It’s absolutely insane.

Agree completely. My weapons are poo poo (Dawn and Fortress at like 2500 dps each) but I'm still up to GR 90 cleared with like half the timer left.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Out of curiosity, what build are you using? I'm trying out this one (the T16) and just struggle with hatred once I'm all tapped out.

The good news is that Impale just wrecks everything now, but I struggle against packs. Should I reintroduce fan of knives or put Grenades back in?

Impale with lightning rune as people said, but also try crafting Reaper's Wraps and using the passive that gives you hatred from picking up health orbs. If you still need hatred you can do bat companion and vengeance - seethe.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Alright, finished Inarius set and the set dungeon was refreshingly easy. Been able to do about T8 GRs so far.
Bone Armor is so silly with this set.

Do I want a 2h or 1h+off?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Impale with lightning rune as people said, but also try crafting Reaper's Wraps and using the passive that gives you hatred from picking up health orbs. If you still need hatred you can do bat companion and vengeance - seethe.

I used grenades + clarity wrists (50% damage reduction after using hatred generator) while I was still building.

Holy point shot is massively useful for keeping up hatred. If you don't have it, that's the next thing you need to aim for. With that and elusive ring, you should have tons of mitigation. It actually becomes easier to go up in GR when you're not 1-shotting everything because you can actually proc the hatred return. With impale build, I've found it's all about getting your toughness high enough not to die in those higher GRs.

FWIW I went from grinding GR40s without holy point shot straight up to 90 (about 5min) after I found a holy point shot which enabled me to finally swap out tools I was using for hatred generation for more mitigation/damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Alright, finished Inarius set and the set dungeon was refreshingly easy. Been able to do about T8 GRs so far.
Bone Armor is so silly with this set.

Do I want a 2h or 1h+off?

Probably depends what gear you've got. The Icy Veins build suggests the 2h Reilena's Shadowhook as the 'best' option, but if you get another good Legendary, you could probably run with that for a while, since all your generators are doing is plinking away at mobs anyway (in terms of damage, at least).

If you're looking to push GRs, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it, since you won't be doing that with Inarius. Just use it to farm up the gear you need for a 'better' build.