Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have the newest AVIN in my E92. It isn't completely seamless but it's never poo poo the bed on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks, he's looking to pay under 20k so the 340 is probably not gonna happen. He also wants a manual transmission and AWD, so this is not gonna be easy lol.

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/used/2013-BMW-335i-xdrive-WBA3B9C51DJ465824

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bape Culture posted:

Those android things always seem amazing at first and then 10 minutes later just throw a wobbly and they never work again and there’s no aftermarket support etc. I would buy one of the Gucci Pioneer CarPlay ones that fits instead

I would go with one of the Pioneer or Alpine ones, but I have two issues:

1) The car has factory nav, which means that the entire radio and all connections to speakers, etc is actually in the trunk. I don't think there's any way to connect the aftermarket head units to the stock head unit connectors, but if there is, that would be neat.
2) I want to keep stock audio so as to do less loving around than I have to, and I don't think the Alpines or Pioneers work with the stupid DSP amp.

I have the newest AVIN in my E92. It isn't completely seamless but it's never poo poo the bed on me.

What's gone wrong?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That's one of the only ones I could find and it has a little problem:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's gone wrong?

- The support you get by buying AVIN rather than one of the identical cheaper ones on alibaba is not that great. I haven't needed to run a warranty RMA yet, thankfully, but I suppose that's one reason to buy from them, assuming they honor it.
- The instructions are rear end poo poo. Seriously, the worst I've seen. If you need help, totally PM me, I am happy to save you some time.
- The volume controls on the steering wheel work but the track changing doesn't.
- Audio is run through the headphone jack, which is way inferior in quality to the bluetooth audio. If your car has Bluetooth audio, and you're using carplay or android auto, buy the wired adapter and you can continue to use the Bluetooth over the factory iDrive unit for audio while using Carplay for the interface on the AVIN. Another potential option is one of these, I haven't tried it and don't know how good it sounds though.
- I think I am in the minority on this but I have been having an issue with carplay audio "skipping" during playback, like a bad CD. Hooking my phone up straight to the headphone jack fixes this, so I've just been rolling with that for a bit, but it may have been fixed in an update.

Despite the issues I'm pretty satisfied, having CarPlay is a godsend.
The carplay skipping issue hasn't been fixed since then, so yeah, I just run the audio from the headphone jack on my phone.
Also, the iDrive controller doesn't completely work because it's still controlling the CIC system. So, it can gently caress with your car settings or switch to the radio input, etc, while you're trying to use it to control the AVIN.

But I am still pleased with my purchase, having CarPlay is well worth it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think some of the problems would be mitigated in the E39 because there's no iDrive controller, and of course the car's too old for Bluetooth phone let alone Bluetooth Audio. But that all sounds like annoyances I can live with.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah, they're just annoyances. If you can get it cheap on aliexpress, I don't think it's worth buying through AVIN.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

1) The car has factory nav, which means that the entire radio and all connections to speakers, etc is actually in the trunk. I don't think there's any way to connect the aftermarket head units to the stock head unit connectors, but if there is, that would be neat.
Contact support at Crutchfield. They have tons of adapters to make almost anything work with factory stuff.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think some of the problems would be mitigated in the E39 because there's no iDrive controller, and of course the car's too old for Bluetooth phone let alone Bluetooth Audio. But that all sounds like annoyances I can live with.

I got this for my E39, it's pretty great. https://www.bluebus.dev/

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

That's one of the only ones I could find and it has a little problem:

Huh, I'm surprised it's still CPO. I had the same damage to my 09, someone stopped while turning left and I clipped their bumper. The body shop down here did a fantastic job on it. Mine was kind of extensive, but the car looked great with a new headlight and bumper!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Huh, I'm surprised it's still CPO. I had the same damage to my 09, someone stopped while turning left and I clipped their bumper. The body shop down here did a fantastic job on it. Mine was kind of extensive, but the car looked great with a new headlight and bumper!
Mine was CPO'd after a quarter panel and the bumper were replaced.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can CPO a car that's been in an accident as long as it can be repaired to factory specifications - which means not even a nick on the frame. Replacing a quarter panel doesn't affect the car in an appreciable way.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think it can if it's a monocoque car and the quarter panel is structural?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Have you seen many lotus elise's around?

or is it 'lotuses elise'? engrish hard grr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Elise clamshells aren't structural

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I think it can if it's a monocoque car and the quarter panel is structural?

If it's a bolt on quarter panel it's not structural

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

BlackMK4 posted:

The Elise clamshells aren't structural

I ment the quarter panel on that thing, thats a part of the monocoque
clamshells sure are just bumpers

https://i.imgur.com/5v36m5i.png

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 3, 2020

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
This is the BMW thread, right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rscott posted:

If it's a bolt on quarter panel it's not structural
It's an E92, so not a bolt on.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

It's not 'structural' per se, it's a shell
Technically* the 85% of the rigidity is on the inside frames under the body shell (main factor being the floor, firewall, beams, arches - everything lower than windows level), 10% from the body shell itself (roof, quarter panels, metal side skirts) and 5% from the windows

*actual % vary from car to car

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Big Jesus posted:

This is the BMW thread, right?

Yes, where we talk about the merits of the Camaro and mustang and what makes them superior.

I prefer to slum around in an M3. I still believe all should do the same.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone help me with this erection please

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Two-hander, at least. Burnouts in current condition are wholly endorsed.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

The next piece of Armco is going to regret it being arm and co with that reinforcement. Do burnout

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

vote_no posted:

I've got an F30 335xi that I have this vague idea about manual-swapping. I have no idea how viable that is, though.

I think the F30 328 is still a really fun car, which I am pretty sure could be configured with AWD and a manual -- might find one of those around 20k.

FYI There’s no such thing as a 328 xdrive with a manual as far as I know in the US.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

The next piece of Armco is going to regret it being arm and co with that reinforcement. Do burnout

New name for Bape’s car is The Berlin Wall.

Looking stout!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

You just gonna run with no front end so you don’t have to keep fixing them?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do any of you E39/E46 people have experience with the aftermarket Android Auto head units designed for them? Specifically looking at the AVIN Avant-4.

I have the newest Avin in the M5, I like it. The hardware is good quality, the instructions are terrible as noted above. They are basically “look at this dude’s thread for an x5”. The M5 has DSP which requires a cable to be run from the trunk to the dash which is super annoying, I think non-nav/DSP cars it’s much easier.

You also need to get the I-bus app installed for the steering wheel controls to work, which is not installed be default (at least not when I got mine). Although my controls all work fine. It can also do some coding like unlock/locking and lights.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Didn't know about the iBus app, looks cool, too bad it doesn't work on e9x.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

M3 and M4 spy photos with uncovered grills.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What a sad lack of fender flares on both.

E: looking at these on my phone, but it looks like the m3 wears that grill a little better than the 4.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe some day BMW will build a sub-3000lb performance car again

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Since the new thing is install all the options and then disable via software the stuff you don't pay for, I doubt it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I kind of doubt it because sub-3000 is almost definitely not achievable in a street legal EV, but maybe they'll do a swan song ICE performance car that weighs 2,999 and costs $190K

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

fyallm posted:

Just bought 10 bmw cca raffle tickets, wish me luck

eh, gently caress it. I remember someone in this thread winning a drat car from the last one; 10 tickets it is. that’s like a 1 in 500 chance, which actually isn’t terrible

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You're still supposed to buy them across the raffle time according to what secondary drawing you want. That said, this period IS the Michelin Tire prize, so good work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I kind of doubt it because sub-3000 is almost definitely not achievable in a street legal EV, but maybe they'll do a swan song ICE performance car that weighs 2,999 and costs $190K

finally, the BMW M2999

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazda is trying to make their EVs light -- by putting a small battery in them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Maybe trump will roll back airbag regulations and crash safety guidelines and we can get back to the ~* good old days *~ of 1 ply cardboard doors and spindly A pillars to keep weight down.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
More shots of the M3

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

snugglz posted:

eh, gently caress it. I remember someone in this thread winning a drat car from the last one; 10 tickets it is. that’s like a 1 in 500 chance, which actually isn’t terrible

Ten tickets? poo poo, I only bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You get a grill badge for "free" if you buy ten tickets!