Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

V. Illych L. posted:

attempting to dismiss the deep flaws of the contemporary british welfare state as first world problems without a very developed argument is liable to cause some frustration in areas where that is held as given

I am not dismissing that there are not flaws. When you look at the system the UK has, what it offers..etc to most of the world, then relative the UK has a generous welfare state. Is it perfect? No of course not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
The UKs social welfare system currently only looks good if you squint your eyes real hard and only compare us to places like Syria.

The reality is very different. It is demeaning and currently designed to dehumanise applicants and try and deny as many people as possible. IDS created the current system to punish people and keep them in poverty and force people into extreme measures just to survive.

And all while being told on one hand that there is no magic money tree, and on the other throwing billions in tax breaks to the most well off. The current scandal with Jenkins barely registers on the poo poo the government tries to pull off on the regular.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
didn't the whole 'magic money tree' thing get completely blown out of the water like a week later when they literally gave a billion dollars to the NI theocrats as a bribe

also you're spending literal tens of billions on the american plane that barely flies

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

NGC773 posted:

I am not dismissing that there are not flaws. When you look at the system the UK has, what it offers..etc to most of the world, then relative the UK has a generous welfare state. Is it perfect? No of course not.

you're dismissing it as effectively a first-world problem, I.e. not a really serious or systemic issue

a big thing about the welfare state is that it displaces by its very nature a lot of unformal networks of assistance upon which people have previously relied, especially religious and family groups. in many cases, this is a part of the welfare state's stated objective, a way to break the power of sects and clans. the problem is that when the welfare state starts withering away, those networks aren't really there anymore to soften the blow for those involved. this means that those who fall through the cracks of a welfare state are often *worse off* in objective terms than those who fall in a non-welfare state where family commitments etc are still strong. the typical example of this is dignity in elder care, but the present british welfare state hasn't got cracks so much as ravines where thousands disappear

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NGC773 posted:

No need for the personal insults.

The BOE cannot continue to let the money printers go off forever. Look at what happened to Germany in the 1920s when the printers go wild.

hyperinflation has never once been caused accidentally. It is a deliberate policy choice, as it very much was when the Weimar knowingly crushed the economy to game war-debt. Unless you have an MA in econ or readily-available papers on the matter, then you've got nothing of value to add on the subject..

You're getting insulted because you've decided to reject the lived experiences of tens of thousands of people, empirical data on both disability reforms and COVID, both basic and complex understandings of fiscal policy, and anything approaching actual knowledge of how the disability system works or the legal challenges the government has faced. I feel pretty good about it.

You can take the opportunity to reflect on that, or you can keep shitstirring about left-wing echo chambers in a forum that has plenty of centre-right people who regularily contribute insightful things without dogpiling. I'm confident I can guess which.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

didn't the whole 'magic money tree' thing get completely blown out of the water like a week later when they literally gave a billion dollars to the NI theocrats as a bribe

also you're spending literal tens of billions on the american plane that barely flies

$1.5tn last I checked

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Spangly A posted:

hyperinflation has never once been caused accidentally. It is a deliberate policy choice, as it very much was when the Weimar knowingly crushed the economy to game war-debt. Unless you have an MA in econ or readily-available papers on the matter, then you've got nothing of value to add on the subject..

You're getting insulted because you've decided to reject the lived experiences of tens of thousands of people, empirical data on both disability reforms and COVID, both basic and complex understandings of fiscal policy, and anything approaching actual knowledge of how the disability system works or the legal challenges the government has faced. I feel pretty good about it.

You can take the opportunity to reflect on that, or you can keep shitstirring about left-wing echo chambers in a forum that has plenty of centre-right people who regularily contribute insightful things without dogpiling. I'm confident I can guess which.

$1.5tn last I checked

Yes, hyperinflation was deliberately caused. That doesn't mean that printing money is an easy way out to spend more. Printing money excessively will cause more issues than problems it solves.

By your logic no one should be entitled to an opinion unless they are degree educated on a subject. Nonsense. I only said cut out the personal insults because they were that, insults. I have no issue with people disagreeing with me, I want to debate and test different topics with people.

No need to no platform people with opposite views.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NGC773 posted:

Agreed that the Govts response to COVID has not been good and that other EU countries have done it far better. My argument is that the easing of lockdown has to happen before the economic effect causes an even more adverse environment than COVID ever did.
The whole point of a lockdown is to minimize the effect of COVID, the more successful you are the more adverse the lockdown is relative to COVID in terms of economic effects - that's the whole point. You shouldn't compare the effect of the lockdown to the effect of COVID under lockdown, but COVID with no lockdown. Which as we see in the US suppresses consumption pretty well on its own because the majority does not want to risk their health to go eat at a restaurant.

In the longer term, a significant percentage of people who recover from COVID are likely not gonna fully recover, and thus their ability to work will be hampered by reduced lung capacity and general fatigue, possibly nerve/brain damage too in some cases. Even without geting into the discussion of the morality of looking at things from an economic point of view - which appears to be the only criteria you care about - the lasting effects of infection will result in real permanent damage to the core of economy, instead of bullshit numbers that have no relation to reality.

Going hard on a lockdown to really suppress cases followed by a slow relaxation of rules after a proper test and trace system has been implemented is the cheapest approach for anything but the immediate short term,
and the one with the least human misery to boot. The only downside is showing that government and collective action can actually achieve things.

*Has the UK had anything even approaching a proper lockdown?

NGC773 posted:

The BOE cannot continue to let the money printers go off forever. Look at what happened to Germany in the 1920s when the printers go wild.
Hyperinflation is a deliberate policy, it's not just what happens when you have a lot of inflation. And the timescales we're talking about here would not result in inflation ever worth worrying about. (Because a little inflation is perfectly fine and even good in some cases.)

NGC773 posted:

Yes, hyperinflation was deliberately caused. That doesn't mean that printing money is an easy way out to spend more. Printing money excessively will cause more issues than problems it solves.

By your logic no one should be entitled to an opinion unless they are degree educated on a subject. Nonsense. I only said cut out the personal insults because they were that, insults. I have no issue with people disagreeing with me, I want to debate and test different topics with people.

The issue is that you're factually wrong. Even accepting your ideological position, such as the economy being the priority, your conclusions do not conform to facts.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Jul 7, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the need to keep inflation low at all costs is also, amusingly, a core neoliberal/thatcherite dogma which in this context mainly serves to ensure that property prices increase more quickly than the rest of the economy, a policy which is currently on the brink of collapse in the most advanced countries

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NGC773 posted:

I am beginning to think this thread is worse than reddit for left echo chamber it appears to be.

oh my god lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of course, the classical tripartite-focussed social democrats were also very wary of inflation, but for entirely different reasons - they wanted to make annual real-term wage increases more easily achieved, which means very predictable and relatively low inflation is a priority. i do not believe that british workers have seen many real-term wage increases in recent decades, however

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

NGC773 posted:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

reddit, noted left wing echo chamber

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oliwan posted:

reddit, noted left wing echo chamber
REDdit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the UK welfare state is better than most other countries and hasn't been absolutely annihilated by the tories

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NGC773 posted:

I am beginning to think this thread is worse than reddit for left echo chamber it appears to be.

Most of the COVID chatter I have read in this entire thread seems to be rooted in an ideological debate. Anyone who disagrees is brigaded.

Leftism? In MY CSPAM? Can't believe it!

Everything is ideological. Denying this is an ideological statement in favour of the status quo because yes, simply leaving everything as it is while 1.5m households have to use charities to afford food is an inherently political statement.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NGC773 posted:

I for one am very pleased that you are posting here.

It means I'm no longer the worst poster.

Also, your tactical concession that the government could have done things better, or made mistakes, grossly understates the problem. They hosed up massively. That is why we are exiting lockdown later than anyone else, and in a chaotic, disorganised way. (Phased reopening my arse). Oh, with more deaths than any other country in Europe, and I think 3rd highest in the world? (I haven't checked latest figures, Brazil and US are probably ahead now). Others have already made the arguments about the government's handling of the pandemic.

I did something similar to you a few weeks ago - came in guns blazing, looking for an argument, and got shot down and insulted. This is not, as I soon realised, just the politics sub-forum of D&D (which I never visit). This is a more relaxed, chattier thread/sub-forum, so you are either in the wrong place by accident, or being provocative. I had also realised prior to that (but my experience here reinforced it) that I was not getting a broad enough perspective on politics and current events. Reading a broader range of perspectives will help you. As will acknowledging facts when presented to you.

Oh, one more thing! The current woeful status of the UK welfare system being a first-world problem? Yes, well, we do live in the first world.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

the UK welfare state is better than most other countries and hasn't been absolutely annihilated by the tories

They're only going to explain to you entirely in the abstract the concepts of demand, free goods and surplus income :cripes:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

They're only going to explain to you entirely in the abstract the concepts of demand, free goods and surplus income :cripes:

Osborne, Cameron, IDS and every other Tory who voted for and implemented austerity have blood on their hands.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

NGC773 posted:

Short dated gilt yields are currently negative (2Y is -0.08%, 5Y is -0.03%); if that sort of financing was available to you personally wouldn't you take it? Can you explain what problem you think is lurking here?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

NGC773 posted:

The only real issue with printing money is inflation. Inflation has basically vanished for rich countries. Japan has been in deflation for decades yet it continues to print money to prop up asset prices.

In this case, rather than buying shares in zombie companies, we use the money to fund the public good -- until inflation returns.

Real yields, and even now nominal yields, on gilts are negative.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NGC773 posted:

Seeing as the vast majority of low paid workers are in their 20s and that if you are under 50 the chances of you dying from COVID is ridiculously low no one should be worried.

If you have a pre-existing condition then you should follow government advice and take extra measures to isolate. If you are over 50, isolate.

A vaccine is at least 6+ months away, what would you continue a strict lockdown and complete shut down of the economy until then? If you think Brexit is bad, then shutting down an economy for that period will be 10x worse.

Wow you're either very dedicated to trolling or the actual dumbest poster I've seen all year. And I don't say that lightly!

You know loving nothing about welfare systems, about testing and tracing, about how pandemics work, about the economy, the list goes on.

I mean nobody accumulates this many opposite_of_reality.jpg opinions while reading any news with a critical eye but geez the commitment to the bit.

"The welfare system is fine and great compared to other countries with similar wealth", "The lockdown, not the pandemic loving everything up globally, is to blame for the economic slowdown... you made a bingo card didn't you.

You made a bingo card for lovely trolling and are not sharing it with the thread. For shame.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
"The odds for you to die are low and let's not speak of the people for whom this isn't true, or the economic impact of a demand crash."
"People have to work to live even if there's a massive unemployment spike."
"Lifting lockdown while the situation is all hosed up is the same as lifting lockdown when you have proper controls in place."
"SA is worse than Reddit."
"Tories will sort their poo poo out in time for the election."

"Let's just ignore all the long term effects for the hell of it."
"The UK is actually the best in the world and the evidence shouldn't enter into it."
"Just Google to find out how I'm right."
"We have hosed up but too late to fix anything now."
"Something Something Communism" (free space) (alab)

"If the system has failed the government/free market can surely fix it."
"I don't read clickbait/twitter/newspapers"
"I'm just hated because I have the wrong ideology not because I'm acting like a dipshit."
"National Credit Card!"
"Stop insulting me and debate my nebulous, undefended points."

We need ten more to figure out his entire bingo card.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NGC773 posted:

Most of the COVID chatter I have read in this entire thread seems to be rooted in an ideological debate. Anyone who disagrees is brigaded.

Every single time I share one of my opinions, people tell me I'm wrong, explain using examples why I'm chatting poo poo, and call me stupid?? Hmm. It must be a case of ideology

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

therattle posted:

I for one am very pleased that you are posting here.

It means I'm no longer the worst poster.

Bad posting isn't a zero sum game lad

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Crane Fist posted:

Every single time I share one of my opinions, people tell me I'm wrong, explain using examples why I'm chatting poo poo, and call me stupid?? Hmm. It must be a case of ideology

It is a case of ideology, they're only wrong about who has it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Crane Fist posted:

Bad posting isn't a zero sum game lad

Therattle has displayed the capacity to be slightly better which this other poster hasn't

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Continuity RCP posted:

Therattle has displayed the capacity to be slightly better which this other poster hasn't

If we only seek to be better than the worst how can we ever become the best

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is a dying gay webforum still owned by an incredibly dubious character, best was never really on the table

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Crane Fist posted:

If we only seek to be better than the worst how can we ever become the best

Got to start somewhere

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Therattle asked for things to read to improve their knowledge which is way more than most libs are willing to do

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

NGC, I know lots of people are calling you stupid, but it’s only because you’re posting stupid nonsense constantly

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

sorry quick question. i haven't read up on anything about boris since he left the hospital after being treated for covid. is he completely 100% healthy again?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

sorry quick question. i haven't read up on anything about boris since he left the hospital after being treated for covid. is he completely 100% healthy again?

He was healthy 1 week after he was 'nearly dead' in the ICU.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

He was healthy 1 week after he was 'nearly dead' in the ICU.

aw man. not even a LITTLE bit of long term damage?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because it was fake.

Mister Fantastic
Oct 25, 2007
Fallen Rib

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/19/chaos-and-a-car-crash-tories-begin-to-fear-boris-johnson-has-lost-his-vim

I guess some Tory MPs are concerned that he's not the same as previously but no real details here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do seem to remember that he looked measurably more like poo poo after coming out of the hospital, and it never really went away (despite his high baseline of looking like poo poo).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
We definitely have had inflation in the past few years, its just been in property values & rent

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Interweb posted:

He's doing pushups now. Well, at least one pushup for a photo op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

We definitely have had inflation in the past few years, its just been in property values & rent

Combined with close to zero pay increases for the public sector and close to stagnant increases in the private. I am about 10k worse off purchase power since 2010.