Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

idg why people don't just buy a ricoh gr or sony rx100 and a cheap phone, it's like the same price as getting a kilobuck mobile device with a tiny sensor and the pictures are a million times better

i'm not going to carry an actual camera though. largely the principle of going with the best cameras was more important 10 years ago when the cameras were universally a lot worse, it wasn't very hard to give up when it got to be a phone i didn't want for several other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

horrible nerds have this weird desire to have one device that does everything, rather than a couple of devices that each do their individual task better. idk why. maybe it's like a star trek tricorder thing. maybe it's fomo. maybe just spec sheet anxiety.

see also: gaming laptops instead of a powerful desktop + a light notebook.
there is also the mirror universe version of this - the nerd who carries a separate tool for every task (myrtar loadout style) because they dont want to compromise with a one-size-fits-all solution. they were big in the early days of smartphones, when theyd make a point of carrying a separate digital camera and pda and phone and flashlight and gps device and etc., and scoffed at people trying to use a smartphone to do all of those things

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I have no overlap between caring little enough about my photos that i cba bringing my dslr with me, but caring enough that my smartphone would be inadequate

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

horrible nerds have this weird desire to have one device that does everything, rather than a couple of devices that each do their individual task better. idk why. maybe it's like a star trek tricorder thing. maybe it's fomo. maybe just spec sheet anxiety.

i have this fight all the time at work. we have to take a bunch of pictures and run esoteric control software for a bunch of stuff and instead of just buying cameras and laptops we have some galaxy brains that are obsessed with the idea of doing everything on a phone. so every couple of months they’re buying (with taxpayer dollars, naturally) whatever the newest anroid phone is and then doing a bunch of stanky hacks to get it to halfway connect what we need it to talk to while simultaneously taking poo poo rear end pictures. meanwhile i’m tcb with my five year old canon point and shoot and fujitsu laptop from the same vintage.

edit: my laptop is a fujitsu

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 8, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

idg why people don't just buy a ricoh gr or sony rx100 and a cheap phone, it's like the same price as getting a kilobuck mobile device with a tiny sensor and the pictures are a million times better

because even a small camera is still pretty big, though in bullguy's case that doesn't matter since he's made it clear he never leaves his house, so i'm not really sure why he cares about cameras at all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Midjack posted:

edit: my laptop is a fujitsu

i didn't know anyone outside of the japanese government still used fujitsu

hell, idk if it's even possible to buy fujitsu here any more

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

when something spontaneous happens, a decent-enough camera in your pocket is a lot more useful than a dslr in your car. also love to look like a japanese tourist from the 80s by walking around random cities with a huge camera

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Endless Mike posted:

because even a small camera is still pretty big, though in bullguy's case that doesn't matter since he's made it clear he never leaves his house, so i'm not really sure why he cares about cameras at all

actual size of the rx100 qirex is talking about compared to an iphone 11 (non-max)

The_Franz posted:

when something spontaneous happens, a decent-enough camera in your pocket is a lot more useful than a dslr in your car. also love to look like a japanese tourist from the 80s by walking around random cities with a huge camera

see above.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i didn't know anyone outside of the japanese government still used fujitsu

hell, idk if it's even possible to buy fujitsu here any more

tells you how old it is. :v:

you can still get them but they're not widely available in retail channels anymore.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

actual size of the rx100 qirex is talking about compared to an iphone 11 (non-max)

those two dimensions presented sure have me convinced, going out to buy a camera right at this moment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
iphone 11 max with leica m4 35mm camera

phones are too loving big

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

see above.
except that you still have to carry the phone regardless, plus whatever else you carry for a day

it's fine when you're doing a thing where you expect to be taking photos, not so much just out and about

basically:

jesus WEP posted:

I have no overlap between caring little enough about my photos that i cba bringing my dslr with me, but caring enough that my smartphone would be inadequate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

now show them from the side

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you dummies think you have to carry everything in your pockets? put away the jorts and carry a small bag like the other 80% of the world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guess i'll just get a neck strap for my phone then

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

do you dummies think you have to carry everything in your pockets? put away the jorts and carry a small bag like the other 80% of the world

people who drag giant cameras everywhere are such loving dorks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

then i'd like to have a good camera for the many inevitable moments when i don't have the bag on me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

try actually experiencing something instead of mediating it through a loving screen. far more skilled photographers than you have taken pictures of whatever common-rear end garbage you're spending $2000 to capture

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

then i'd like to have a good camera for the many inevitable moments when i don't have the bag on me.

ask a lady whether she thinks this is a realistic problem

carry on then posted:

try actually experiencing something instead of mediating it through a loving screen. far more skilled photographers than you have taken pictures of whatever common-rear end garbage you're spending $2000 to capture

wow man that's really deep. hey can you ask your older brother to buy us beer this weekend

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 8, 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

my life has improved so much since I started doing this. idk how I got by on pockets for so long

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

good point, I too often long for a camera when I’m in the shower

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

ask a lady whether she thinks this is a realistic problem

wow man that's really deep. hey can you ask your older brother to buy us beer this weekend

thanks for admitting you're a child

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

people who drag giant cameras everywhere are such loving dorks

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
tHe BeSt cAmErA iS tHe onE yUo HaVe WitH Oyu

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Soricidus posted:

good point, I too often long for a camera when I’m in the shower

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the best thing about the camera in my phone is that I can use its tiny lens as an excuse for any defects in my photos

*waits patiently to be owned with a selfie joke*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

just put it in your bag

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the only person who can yell at me for too much smartphone is David Lynch

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
most people basically use their camera for social media, nobody's carrying an extra thing for that unless they're an iNfLueNceR.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’ve bring a good camera for taking shots of the Junior Management, but lol at dragging one around all the time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

qirex posted:

I looked those up and lol they are insanely expensive.
I also very much doubt that the pictures are much better unless you are a photography enthusiast or in edge conditions.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I looked those up and lol they are insanely expensive.
I also very much doubt that the pictures are much better unless you are a photography enthusiast or in edge conditions.

you can get a rx100 mk3 for like 2 hundred on ebay. if you have no interest in taking pictures that aren’t suited for mobile cameras I guess it’s not relevant but none of these would have worked on a phone even today. these are from my old rx100 mk2 and none are edited except for cropping

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
cool, here is a photo i took with my phone at the pub while i was having fun with my friends

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i wish it were possible to buy avatars right now without funding the taxman, because that face really should be your av

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what can i say, i take pretty good photos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*squints*~

that is a quality rat tail

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't think buying someone's battered P&S second hand off ebay is a very good comparison either. It's $600 on B&H.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

even in star trek there was the communicator and there was the tricorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

after seeing your photos I agree that the problems with them would not be addressed by using a dedicated camera