Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shrecknet posted:

Looking for input, most importantly: is this NFS "the good one" since I no longer have a 360 to play the actual good one.

TIL there's Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. Hmm. I have Hot Pursuit and kinda liked it kind of didn't because it lacks an open world - how does Most Wanted compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm not sure what a PVM is, but the ideal situation is an old CRT TV.

after playing games on a Penis Vagina Monster I could never switch back

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Though there is an LP of the game happening at the moment, I recommend people get Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina. Lobotomy Corp is essentially an SCP management simulator while its sequel, Library of Ruina, is a deckbuilder rpg. Both games are great and well worth the investment.

However, Library of Ruina spoils the end of Lobotomy Corp so if you’re gonna get both, you should try and finish Lobotomy Corporation before jumping into Library of Ruina.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Though there is an LP of the game happening at the moment, I recommend people get Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina. Lobotomy Corp is essentially an SCP management simulator while its sequel, Library of Ruina, is a deckbuilder rpg. Both games are great and well worth the investment.

However, Library of Ruina spoils the end of Lobotomy Corp so if you’re gonna get both, you should try and finish Lobotomy Corporation before jumping into Library of Ruina.

wait a minute Lobotomy Corp has an ending?! That is extremely cool, I thought it was an endless sim kinda like Rimworld. I don't know why I thought this.

Library of Ruina on the wishlist, toot toot!

quote:

deckbuilder rpg

me: wait there's too many of those the market's gonna get over-saturated
gamedevs: ha ha cards go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Deck building is just a really good way to introduce a kind of guaranteed streamlined randomness that players have an easier time reasoning about than abstract stats like the difference betweent a 65% and and an 75 % to hit chance.

I'm just surprised we haven't seen the deck building thing extend out further. Gimme a deck building RTS.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Impermanent posted:

Deck building is just a really good way to introduce a kind of guaranteed streamlined randomness that players have an easier time reasoning about than abstract stats like the difference betweent a 65% and and an 75 % to hit chance.

I'm just surprised we haven't seen the deck building thing extend out further. Gimme a deck building RTS.

They made that, it was called Battleforge. EA killed it, but it's being remade by the community.

Unless you mean deckbuilding in the Dominion sense.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This new deckbuilding trend is really helping me spend less money on games :v:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I bought games too late into the sale to review them but here are some recommendations for games I've played before and are dirt cheap:

Tooth and Tail: A "casual" RTS that's actually pretty tough but can still be played on a gamepad, PC Gamer called it "Pikmin-like" and I guess it's true. Pretty, great music, interesting "eat the rich" kinda plot. The mission design in the campaign was spotty at times and the original asking price might just have been a little high but now it's 90% off and such a steal it should actually be illegal.

theHunter Call of the Wild: My boy theHunter is still doing things and hanging out in the top sellers. These days the game is in a steady cycle of new content being made, things being broken on release and then a couple weeks of patches to fix stuff. It's a bit of a mess but the game is objectively better than before with more reasonable scoring methods and their fancy tech that makes procedurally generated antlers/horns for animals, let people try and find the perfect trophy. It's like 5 bucks for the base version, which includes my favorite map, and still the ultimate walking simulator.

Monster Hunter and Iceborne: "What? That's not cheap!", I hear you say. And you are not wrong. But as someone that just broke 500 hours of playtime, 200 of them entirely with a friend, Monster Hunter is an insane value proposition that not a lot of action games can match. Yeah it's sometimes repetitive but always challenging, fun and the eternal sense of progression is very nice. It's almost like an MMO except you pay once in your life. I can see myself easily putting in at least a hundred more hours but in truth I'll probably double my playtime eventually.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Impermanent posted:

Gimme a deck building RTS.

Take a peek at Golem Gates. The story and cutscenes are completely forgettable and the pathfinding is very questionable, but it is a deck building RTS and I had enough fun with it to play through the campaign when it came out. Not sure how much post release support it has received, but I heard about it originally from someone in this thread.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Necronator: Dead Wrong :v: (E: there's more than one!)

There's also a decent deck-building chess game from cardboard land.

My favorite deck builder is Aeon's End, which gets rid of a lot of the variance in your personal deck. There's a nice added strategic layer from the fact you never shuffle your deck (it just gets flipped when empty) and don't discard unused cards (they just gum up your hands). Unfortunately, the digital version only has the base game and none of the three big-box or eight small-box expansions that have been released so far. It also still a digital version of a physical game and doesn't have a narrative or metaprogression.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Given the events of Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers I am not sure showing more interest for the Chrono Trigger franchise is a good idea.

[edit]Even though Chrono Trigger is easily, IMNHO, the best JRPG of the 16-bit era and I haven't played a JRPG I've enjoyed more than it.

What's the bit about Radical Dreamers?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Vambrace is a strategic Roguelite, narrative-driven Darkest Dungeon-inspired, turn-based RPG with an overworld map

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Stickman posted:

Necronator: Dead Wrong :v: (E: there's more than one!)

There's also a decent deck-building chess game from cardboard land.

My favorite deck builder is Aeon's End, which gets rid of a lot of the variance in your personal deck. There's a nice added strategic layer from the fact you never shuffle your deck (it just gets flipped when empty) and don't discard unused cards (they just gum up your hands). Unfortunately, the digital version only has the base game and none of the three big-box or eight small-box expansions that have been released so far. It also still a digital version of a physical game and doesn't have a narrative or metaprogression.

Dominion with all expansions is still the best overall deckbuilder, because it doesn't use a market row like the million other offshoots. The online implementation is a bit expensive if you want to play with all the cards unqualified (~4 euro a month), but only one person needs a subscription to play with all the cards, and you can check a box in matchmaking to wait for a person with the subscription.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Roluth posted:

Dominion with all expansions is still the best overall deckbuilder, because it doesn't use a market row like the million other offshoots. The online implementation is a bit expensive if you want to play with all the cards unqualified (~4 euro a month), but only one person needs a subscription to play with all the cards, and you can check a box in matchmaking to wait for a person with the subscription.

I'm personally not too fond of Dominion because I find it's theme dry and if I'm going to play a game with minimal player interaction it might as well be co-op (hence the Aeon's End). Aeon's End is also one of the few non-Dominion deck-builders with a fixed market! But yeah, anyone who's getting interested in deckbuilders should definitely try Dominion.

There are a couple of market row deckbuilders that are still decent, like Valley of the Kings or Baseball Highlights 2045. I agree that it's a terrible mechanic for competitive multiplayer games, though. I do enjoy solo market-row versus the AI in something like Ascension, but the randomness is more manageable when it's just you!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 8, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Oh wow, I dug into the profile settings and noticed all the new options. They have game/software avatars available now as well. I could be the Katamari Prince if I wanted to be.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I just wanted to pop in this thread and "thank" the posters who kindly nudged me to plunging into FM2020 a week ago. I'm now 50 hours in and I have spent the past two days watching videos on youtube.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Lobotomy Corp is something that everyone needs to at least experience. There's nothing quite like it.

The Mindustry dev posted a first look at the next major update to the game. Basically, it's starting to look a bit more like Total Annihilation.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

buglord posted:

How does this compare to Wurm Unlimited? I’d love to play on a smaller carebear server with goons. :kiddo:

Last one I played on was a public server but it had a nice x3 experience/build multiplier which was really helpful.

Unlimited is no longer getting updates (and didn't sell much anymore as well).

The official servers are all 1x (obviously) but they recently adjusted the crafting difficulties of all the basic stuff so you no longer fail to create wooden planks when starting out, so overall the start should be significantly less tedious. There's also a ton of little QOL stuff that was added…so I'm really tempted.

Wurm is just, as I said, the chillest of games for me. It's so fascinating watching a server be developed over the years, people constructing highways to reach more remote places, canals being constructed, maps created. The steam servers aren't going to be connected to the old ones, but just traveling the old servers is fascinating in itself. Independence is 10? years old now iirc.

Maybe I should just found a little pizzeria next to the starter town when it launches, cooking food for new players. I could amuse myself with that for a few weeks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Det_no posted:

I bought games too late into the sale to review them but here are some recommendations for games I've played before and are dirt cheap:

Tooth and Tail: A "casual" RTS that's actually pretty tough but can still be played on a gamepad, PC Gamer called it "Pikmin-like" and I guess it's true. Pretty, great music, interesting "eat the rich" kinda plot. The mission design in the campaign was spotty at times and the original asking price might just have been a little high but now it's 90% off and such a steal it should actually be illegal.

theHunter Call of the Wild: My boy theHunter is still doing things and hanging out in the top sellers. These days the game is in a steady cycle of new content being made, things being broken on release and then a couple weeks of patches to fix stuff. It's a bit of a mess but the game is objectively better than before with more reasonable scoring methods and their fancy tech that makes procedurally generated antlers/horns for animals, let people try and find the perfect trophy. It's like 5 bucks for the base version, which includes my favorite map, and still the ultimate walking simulator.

Monster Hunter and Iceborne: "What? That's not cheap!", I hear you say. And you are not wrong. But as someone that just broke 500 hours of playtime, 200 of them entirely with a friend, Monster Hunter is an insane value proposition that not a lot of action games can match. Yeah it's sometimes repetitive but always challenging, fun and the eternal sense of progression is very nice. It's almost like an MMO except you pay once in your life. I can see myself easily putting in at least a hundred more hours but in truth I'll probably double my playtime eventually.

Literally the only reason I didn't get Iceborne this sale is because I know I'd lose a bucket of time to it relearning how to use a greatsword and then having fun, and I want to do other things this month :v:

God Monster Hunter World is SO GOOD

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wait, the "Dark Souls of" free spot wasn't filled!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Leal posted:

Wait, the "Dark Souls of" free spot wasn't filled!

The middle square is a free space (nothing to do with the game).

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Shadow225 posted:

What's the bit about Radical Dreamers?

It was a Japan-only game that, iirc, was made for some kind of insane satellite streaming TV game system in hotels or something (???), and is a tangentially related sequel to CT. There are fan translations available if you want to play it, which you shouldn't because it's terrible.

Crono Cross is the sequel to Radical Dreamers and references it a bunch more than CT, which is fine because Crono Cross is dogshit aside from the soundtrack.

Everything in the franchise that came after the original SNES version was worse than the next. Anyone who thinks the DS re-translation holds a candle to the Woolsey translation is a boor and probable sex criminal imo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I enjoyed Radical Dreamers. It wasn't great, but it had good music and I liked the mansion. Actually traversing it sucked, but eh, kinda expected that for a SNES text adventure.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

DatonKallandor posted:

They made that, it was called Battleforge. EA killed it, but it's being remade by the community.

And it was awesome and fun. My kid and I were super into it, I even spent some money on cards for him for his birthday. He was crushed when they pulled their usual EA poo poo and shut down the servers.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ask for games, taking more than one is encouraged. Give me your Steam profile if you don't have PM's.

Fluffy Horde
Think of the Children
Quest of Dungeons
Primal Carnage: Extinction
Paper Fire Rookie
Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom
Boundless

Desert Child

F1 2019 Anniversary Edition
Niffelheim

Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'd be interested in Niffelheim.

e: One more thanks to Sininu!

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 8, 2020

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
someone talk me out of something

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

err posted:

Project Hospital: watch this first.

I'm going to say Final Fantasy IX is the best out of the three in your cart, but.... let me ask a more relevant question: are you REALLY gonna play through three jrpgs this month/before they go back on sale?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

yes, I know I'm a hypocrite, yes I know I bought stuff for myself that I'm not going to get to soon, but listen, take my advice instead of emulating me.

ps kenshi is the Best. also it has a demo so play that before buying it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Don't buy any of the PC releases of ff since they have lovely midi versions of the music

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

err posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is an underrated game, but that's different from saying that it's actually good. Think carefully about how much you really want it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Xtanstic posted:

I just wanted to pop in this thread and "thank" the posters who kindly nudged me to plunging into FM2020 a week ago. I'm now 50 hours in and I have spent the past two days watching videos on youtube.

Find any total beginners* guides that seemed good?

* especially with only a passing /casual understanding of Football’s rules and tactics.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Are you sure you aren't mistaking Project Hospital for Two-Point Hospital?

err
Apr 11, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Are you sure you aren't mistaking Project Hospital for Two-Point Hospital?

Yeah I wanted a more sim-y style game. But that video of Project Hospital looked good, but maybe not $15 good, so I cut it anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grapplejack posted:

Don't buy any of the PC releases of ff since they have lovely midi versions of the music

Yeah but they all have mods to fix this, in addition to the A.I. upscaling mods

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

err posted:

Last I checked the official HD remaster of HoMM III didn't include any expansion content and thus is hard to recommend. The game is frequently on sale over at GoG and can be brought up to modern resolutions together with all kinds of handy extra features with a fanmade mod.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would definitely suggest buying 1 final fantasy to start with unless you really feel like you are going to play all 3 before the winter sale.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

err posted:

IIRC the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on steam is missing a bunch of content compared to the GOG version.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Last I checked the official HD remaster of HoMM III didn't include any expansion content and thus is hard to recommend. The game is frequently on sale over at GoG and can be brought up to modern resolutions together with all kinds of handy extra features with a fanmade mod.

Zereth posted:

IIRC the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on steam is missing a bunch of content compared to the GOG version.

good catch, what a weird thing that could easily be fixed. remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
How is the Project Zomboid development? I remember they had one big fuckup where one dev lost a laptop with all their future updates and they had no backups(weird story but they stuck up to it and not like I followed the news anymore)