Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

err posted:

someone talk me out of something

Project Zomboid. It's been nearly ten loving years since the first demo and it's still a shadow of a game. You'll probably die of natural causes before that thing is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ha i thought it left early access like a couple years ago or something but apparently not. still in ea

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think Project Zomboid is literally the oldest Early Access game in existence at this point. It's practically the one that started it all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Samuringa posted:

How is the Project Zomboid development? I remember they had one big fuckup where one dev lost a laptop with all their future updates and they had no backups(weird story but they stuck up to it and not like I followed the news anymore)

In the beta build currently (which is afaik stable) there's a new animation system and it's amazing, easily the best zombie game out there, or at least close to it. (hi state of decay 2)

Det_no posted:

Project Zomboid. It's been nearly ten loving years since the first demo and it's still a shadow of a game. You'll probably die of natural causes before that thing is complete.

"still a shadow of a game" boy you haven't played it recently, it has a great loop of search, build, survive.

That said you are correct it will never be finished, which is okay.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the beta build currently (which is afaik stable) there's a new animation system and it's amazing, easily the best zombie game out there, or at least close to it. (hi state of decay 2)
If you haven't tried out Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead yet, do so sometime. It's free and I'm kind of curious how you think it compares.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

err posted:

Yeah I wanted a more sim-y style game. But that video of Project Hospital looked good, but maybe not $15 good, so I cut it anyway.

Two Point Hospital is so good. Buy that instead of whatever this is. And don't buy multiple Final Fantasy games at once. Get IX, which is the best, and try VIII on the next sale.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I think Project Zomboid is literally the oldest Early Access game in existence at this point. It's practically the one that started it all.

7 years strong.

Pretty sure any other EA games from 2013/14 that are still in EA have just been abandoned or are being worked on by a tiny handful of people.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Samuringa posted:

How is the Project Zomboid development? I remember they had one big fuckup where one dev lost a laptop with all their future updates and they had no backups(weird story but they stuck up to it and not like I followed the news anymore)

Still hurts my eyes to look at but a ok game

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Roluth posted:

Dominion with all expansions is still the best overall deckbuilder, because it doesn't use a market row like the million other offshoots. The online implementation is a bit expensive if you want to play with all the cards unqualified (~4 euro a month), but only one person needs a subscription to play with all the cards, and you can check a box in matchmaking to wait for a person with the subscription.

I've only really played Dominion, in this category. Would you mind answering what is a market row and why is it bad? Dominion has a row of cards that you set out at the beginning, and you can (only) buy from those cards. I'm guessing that's not what a market row means?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Det_no posted:

Monster Hunter and Iceborne: "What? That's not cheap!", I hear you say. And you are not wrong. But as someone that just broke 500 hours of playtime, 200 of them entirely with a friend, Monster Hunter is an insane value proposition that not a lot of action games can match. Yeah it's sometimes repetitive but always challenging, fun and the eternal sense of progression is very nice. It's almost like an MMO except you pay once in your life. I can see myself easily putting in at least a hundred more hours but in truth I'll probably double my playtime eventually.

This is true. Monster Hunter isn't really "for me," because long intense boss fights stress me out, but I still found myself going 'wait, we've been playing for five hours?' when I played with my brother and our friend.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Extremely hot take: ranking those ff games

7=8>9

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

9 is cool and all but it's not that good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

err posted:

someone talk me out of something

I really tried to like Project Hospital but could not get into it. It's far more "Sim"-ey than Two-Point, but I think that's a detriment to the game imo. It's kinda neat because you can make diagnoses on your own depending on what symptoms are showing up, but because the illnesses are real illnesses, there were a lot of times that I just didn't know what something was or where they had to go to fix it or get diagnosed or anything like that. Conversely, Two-Point has fake silly made up diseases which means you have to learn what they are and where they go for treatment anyway, but it's far less serious about it and more fun because of it. I will say that PH is way better at the hospital design stuff, you can make a fairly realistic looking hospital with lots of decorations and stuff hanging from the walls, but after so many failed attempts at running a successful hospital I just gave up on it and went back to Two-Point.

People are shittalking Zomboid but I actually found it extremely enjoyable. I might actually go back to it once my backlog allows me to because there really is no other zombie survival game out there that gives you the feeling of being completely surrounded by a horde of zombies and having to quickly decide which window do you jump out of and whether or not your shins can handle the fall.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Grapplejack posted:

9 is cool and all but it's not that good

Counterpoint: No, it's actually the best of the three.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does the pc version of 9 let you speed up/skip the super slow battle loading that made me hate it on ps1

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Awesome! posted:

does the pc version of 9 let you speed up/skip the super slow battle loading that made me hate it on ps1

Yes! With the Moguri mod you can change the battle frame rate and also speed up the transition into battle. This is the same mod that adds the AI- generated backgrounds.

It also lets you change the font back to the old PS1 font, which is so much better.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

wait a minute Lobotomy Corp has an ending?! That is extremely cool, I thought it was an endless sim kinda like Rimworld. I don't know why I thought this.

Library of Ruina on the wishlist, toot toot!

me: wait there's too many of those the market's gonna get over-saturated
gamedevs: ha ha cards go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

FWIW I think Library of Ruina is pretty different from like, Slay the Spire or something. It's not a roguelite at all, there's a penalty for losing but you don't ever have to start the game over. You have teams of (currently) up to 4 characters, each equipped with decks of 9 cards that you customize in between battles. You receive "books" from winning battles that you burn to get more cards, like booster packs or gacha pulls but without any way to pay more real money for them. They're adding new story episodes every week and it's been really heating up lately, with some of the great story and gameplay synergy that made Lobotomy Corp special.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cardiovorax posted:

If you haven't tried out Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead yet, do so sometime. It's free and I'm kind of curious how you think it compares.

CDDA is its own ridiculous beast, whereas Zomboid is pretty much your best either Romero or 28 Days Later style zombie game. You have full options to customise your experience, including what sensory functions the zombies have (Sight, smell, hearing), their speed (Walkers vs Runners), infectivity (Bite = death, scratches = death, or just uh, dying), when do the government shut off electricity and water etc. You can go all out on building and farming, or just stick to scavenging until everything runs out. It's got great multiplayer support too!

I prefer playing Romero style shamblers where individually zombies are no threat, but the hordes are plenty, relentless, and if they corner me I'm doomed. It's really incredibly tense and you never, ever, ever want to make unnecessary noise.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Last I checked the official HD remaster of HoMM III didn't include any expansion content and thus is hard to recommend. The game is frequently on sale over at GoG and can be brought up to modern resolutions together with all kinds of handy extra features with a fanmade mod.

Zereth posted:

IIRC the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on steam is missing a bunch of content compared to the GOG version.
As I understand it, they didn't have any of the source code for the expansion stuff at the time.
There WAS a development on that front, actually...
https://twitter.com/DiskBlitz/status/920801845349466113
https://twitter.com/DiskBlitz/status/1108839717913542658
https://twitter.com/DiskBlitz/status/1275097089643393024
...but we may or may not ever see Ubisoft touch it again. (HD was released back in 2015.)

In any event, it's very true that grabbing the originals on GoG is the pro move. All you'll get with HD is cheevos.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anyone know if https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150640/YuGiOh_Legacy_of_the_Duelist__Link_Evolution/ is actually any good?

I like card games, but i've never actually played YGO, and i'm bored of magic et al.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Begemot posted:

Yes! With the Moguri mod you can change the battle frame rate and also speed up the transition into battle. This is the same mod that adds the AI- generated backgrounds.

It also lets you change the font back to the old PS1 font, which is so much better.

Does it work for the Gamepass version or just Steam?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

CDDA is its own ridiculous beast, whereas Zomboid is pretty much your best either Romero or 28 Days Later style zombie game. You have full options to customise your experience, including what sensory functions the zombies have (Sight, smell, hearing), their speed (Walkers vs Runners), infectivity (Bite = death, scratches = death, or just uh, dying), when do the government shut off electricity and water etc. You can go all out on building and farming, or just stick to scavenging until everything runs out. It's got great multiplayer support too!

I prefer playing Romero style shamblers where individually zombies are no threat, but the hordes are plenty, relentless, and if they corner me I'm doomed. It's really incredibly tense and you never, ever, ever want to make unnecessary noise.

Eyyy someone who understands me. Sneaking from zombies is good, and it is terrifying to break into a house and the alarm goes off and you just turn and run before sneaking because every zombie is going there and aaaaa

as for CDDA I haven't cracked that beast yet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finally bought Dominions 5. I haven't even started my first game yet and I already feel overwhelmed, guess I'll pick the Early Ages

e: or I guess Middle Ages since it's the default

e2: wtf is going on

e3: lol my god is Enemy of Infants, Patron of the Rich

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 8, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does it work for the Gamepass version or just Steam?

Only steam, since microsoft locks down all the files for anything on the windows store. Can't mod anything you get through there.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Adding to the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 disscussion, yes you should really be buying classic games on GOG.com as they usually supported better over there. They apply patches and fixes to get the game working on modern OSes, not to mention that they are DRM free and you can download offline standalone installers for them.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Zomboid is boring as hell, is the problem. They had interesting (in retrospect, pie in the sky) ideas for NPCs but gave up and stripped them all out of the game years ago so the game currently is the same as every other zombie survival game but isometric

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Deviant posted:

Anyone know if https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150640/YuGiOh_Legacy_of_the_Duelist__Link_Evolution/ is actually any good?

I like card games, but i've never actually played YGO, and i'm bored of magic et al.

I played the original Legacy of the Duelist and it was alright? You could fight with the precon decks or build your own.

The game also has a sealed mode where it's difficult to figure out.

Also 'paleo' Yugioh plays completely differently from the new-Yugioh with the emphasis on fusion, XYZ, synchro summons.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Begemot posted:

Only steam, since microsoft locks down all the files for anything on the windows store. Can't mod anything you get through there.

Bummer. :( Thanks. :)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

I played the original Legacy of the Duelist and it was alright? You could fight with the precon decks or build your own.

The game also has a sealed mode where it's difficult to figure out.

Can you play the sealed and draft modes against the AI ?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Zomboid is boring as hell, is the problem. They had interesting (in retrospect, pie in the sky) ideas for NPCs but gave up and stripped them all out of the game years ago so the game currently is the same as every other zombie survival game but isometric

What zombie survival games are you talking about, I want to play them!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

unless you count star citizen lol

there's also The Long Dark whose story mode still isn't finished and the game was first launched in early access in 2014

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Choose one: Monster Train or Griftlands?

They sound like similar games to StS

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

monster train

it is superficially similar to slay but plays pretty differently

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Before the sale ends, are there any good/great "walking simulators"? I already have Outer Wilds, Firewatch, and Edith Finch.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

pentyne posted:

Before the sale ends, are there any good/great "walking simulators"? I already have Outer Wilds, Firewatch, and Edith Finch.
Tacoma

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Seconding that it is real good. By the people who made Gone Home but had the misfortune of coming out when walking sims fell out of vogue.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pentyne posted:

Deliver Us the Moon

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

pentyne posted:

The Norwood Suite

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

The Chad Jihad posted:

Can you play the sealed and draft modes against the AI ?

Yup, I played the sealed mode vs the AI. I lost horribly because I had no idea what I was doing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

err posted:

Choose one: Monster Train or Griftlands?

They sound like similar games to StS

Monster Train, it's good and past 1.0 whereas Griftlands is still in need of balance and everything