Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
That Spiders game has a hell of a blurb but Greedfall was so unbelievably janky (and I know their others are worse) that I don't think I can imagine getting it.
Unless they've learned some lessons from Greedfall but I doubt it, since it sold well and somehow reviewed well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I recently picked up Bug Fables and TWEWY on the switch.

My current experience with TWEWY can be succinctly summarised by :f5:. I’m also very confused by the pin evolution system and while it is fun, it’s not really been something I can sit down and just play for long periods of time.

Meanwhile, I’ve been really enjoying Bug Fables. While it probably isn’t able to do a Gwent, I strangely enjoy the spy card games and they end up being an easy way to amass berries. It’s reached a point where when I encounter new enemies, I’m more excited about the spy cards they make rather than what the enemies actually do. Also, hard mode is hard. I’ve had to burn through my items and then restock after every major fight. I still haven’t touched Devourer. It’s killed me far too many times.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm considering 7th Dragon III Code: VFD for the 3DS, primarily because that handheld has sort of been my toilet and insomnia go-to but I've spent most of the year playing Project Mirai DX and Fantasy Life, and I'd like something a bit more engaging. I'm not super huge on jRPGs, but the combat sounds fun from reviews and the one person I know who's played it. The issue is that it's considered a dungeon crawler, with calls to Etrian Odyssey, and those games I never had a good time with, because issues with map management, labyrinths, and hazards are just not fun for me. Knowing it (likely?) doesn't have the map-making gimmick, I'm still wanting to know how much is it like other dungeon crawlers in the sense of traps/hazards and memorization of crap? I tend to play it to make numbers go up and enjoy light tactics, which reviews touching on combat seem to indicate is a good time on this title, but no reviews go into the minute-to-minute moments other than "Dragons are like F.O.E's!"

So, is there anything else I'd spend a lot of time worrying about in 7th Dragon III? Or could I have a decent time slapping around monsters?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There is nothing remotely like that, iirc.

Also dragons are not like FOEs at all because unlike FOEs you never really encounter them before you're ready to kill them. And there are a billion of them. Honestly I would recommend just using items to avoid all random battles and get all your XP from dragons.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

And on a complete opposite note piggybacking on the post two posts above, are there ANY games besides the EO series and adjacent spinoffs that do in-game map making like it does? As it turns out I have a bizarre love for dungeon cartography and want more, but it seems like only EO does anything like it and I've played all of those games more than enough at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arzaac posted:

How mean-spirited are we talking here? Because on face value that actually sounds like it could be great, depending.
It's mostly comedic in tone so it never feels too cruel. Though there's definitely arc of uh, Japanese nationalism, from Far East of Eden to the creators' later work, Sakura Wars. The first Sakura Wars game is somewhat nationalist, the fifth is set in the US and has a mostly American cast. So there's sort of a progression of walking that stuff back that Far East of Eden is on the rougher end of.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jimmydalad posted:

My current experience with TWEWY can be succinctly summarised by :f5:. I’m also very confused by the pin evolution system and while it is fun, it’s not really been something I can sit down and just play for long periods of time.

That's perfect; you'll gain Shutdown PP while you're not playing :v:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Heh, PP....

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

idgi

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Infinity Gaia posted:

And on a complete opposite note piggybacking on the post two posts above, are there ANY games besides the EO series and adjacent spinoffs that do in-game map making like it does? As it turns out I have a bizarre love for dungeon cartography and want more, but it seems like only EO does anything like it and I've played all of those games more than enough at this point.

Strange Journey for the DS and its enhanced port for the 3DS, as well as the Persona Q games, if you can stomach Persona stuff nowadays.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

TWEWY is one of those games that gradually becomes more fun the more options you get (I mean, most are but TWEWY especially), which ends up kind of feeding into the combat loop since enemies have more varied pins based off of difficulty. The entire first week is largely a tutorial but after that you end up having tons of ways to turn Neku into a death blender.

Pin Evolution is pretty simple in practice, each pin that can evolve has up to three paths based on what kind of experience it mainly got (Mingle and Sleep are super weighted though, something like a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio compared to Battle). It’s honestly pretty silly that after two ports there’s still not an ingame pin compendium that shows the evolutions you’ve already gotten though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Taear posted:

That Spiders game has a hell of a blurb but Greedfall was so unbelievably janky (and I know their others are worse) that I don't think I can imagine getting it.
Unless they've learned some lessons from Greedfall but I doubt it, since it sold well and somehow reviewed well too.

Uh sad to hear that, I still want to get Greedfall but my backlog is huge. I did play Bound by Flame a while back, that was one of the most frustrating games to play, I remember the final boss being a complete nightmare on the hard difficulty. I feel like Spiders have a lot of great ideas and their settings are very creative but the execution is flawed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One day Spiders might build upon their 15 years of experience to make a game that reaches the soaring heights of mediocrity.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Last Celebration posted:

TWEWY is one of those games that gradually becomes more fun the more options you get (I mean, most are but TWEWY especially), which ends up kind of feeding into the combat loop since enemies have more varied pins based off of difficulty. The entire first week is largely a tutorial but after that you end up having tons of ways to turn Neku into a death blender.

Pin Evolution is pretty simple in practice, each pin that can evolve has up to three paths based on what kind of experience it mainly got (Mingle and Sleep are super weighted though, something like a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio compared to Battle). It’s honestly pretty silly that after two ports there’s still not an ingame pin compendium that shows the evolutions you’ve already gotten though.

Ok, I quickly set everything to level 1 so I get max pins. I’m on day 6 with Shiki I think? I find it hard to know when to stop because this game can heavily incentivise grinding because I want to get ALL THE OUTFITS so I can always stay on trends.

I feel like half my combat is wildly smashing and that seems to work? It feels frantic yet I know what I’m doing? The game’s weird but fun. Bug fables is taking my time at the moment.

Is there a way to tell which evolution path a pin goes down or do you have to research that?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Greedfall won't hold you up like BbF, it's very easy. Idk why Goons are so down on it, it's better than the Bethesda/BioWare fare of the last five years.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Leraika posted:

Strange Journey for the DS and its enhanced port for the 3DS, as well as the Persona Q games, if you can stomach Persona stuff nowadays.

I love Strange Journey but that game uses an automap. I'm specifically looking for the incredibly specific gimmick of drawing my owns maps. And yeah, I included Persona Q and the sequel in the "spinoffs" category since both games are literally a collab between the teams, I think?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Infinity Gaia posted:

Just play dungeon crawlers old enough that the ingame maps are barebones, restricted, or nonexistant to the point you need to draw your own on graph paper!

This isn't a joke, my dungeon crawler experience was limited to Etrian Odyssey and The Dark Spire when I tried Wizardry IV Gaiden on SNES more or less on a whim, and it was really fun playing through and drawing maps on graph paper.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

does it *have* to be in-game cartography? because you could pick up any number of old dungeon crawlers and start drawing maps.

E. oh, same idea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck you can just draw maps of the dungeons in super mario rpg if you want to. i cant stop you.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I guess I could give that a try, sure. I mostly just like how the EO dungeons encourage the cartography by having a number of things to note down and FOE paths to draw and one way paths and such. I doubt it'd be quite as much fun to draw my own map in one of those old dungeon crawlers that's just a series of featureless hallways. I guess what I really want is more goddamn EO games, sadly. Maybe it's been long enough I should just replay EO3, I probably forgot most of the map gimmicks...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Obviously it'll depend on the game but going back to the one I mentioned, Wizardy IV Gaiden is very much not featureless hallways. There's NPCs to talk to and puzzles to figure out and traps to avoid and one-way doors and switches that do stuff but don't tell you what they do so you need to take notes.

Also the teleporters are really cool, visually it just looks like the other terrain is right there (sort of like the portals in portal or something) so they can have some cool and/or clever setups.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I love Strange Journey but that game uses an automap. I'm specifically looking for the incredibly specific gimmick of drawing my owns maps. And yeah, I included Persona Q and the sequel in the "spinoffs" category since both games are literally a collab between the teams, I think?

Sorry, it's been so long since SJ that I couldn't remember whether you drew/added stuff or not.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man Ys 8 really took its time to introduce the villains. So much so that it's kinda weird there's villains at all.

Though, I think i'm kinda down for how even this late into the game it's not afraid to still introduce new things. It wasn't so long ago that the game just introduced a whole time-shifting element which ended up being like one of the main gimmicks of the game. And it hasn't stopped switching things up since then because now we've got global apocalypse via dinosaur attacks. It just wasn't where I expected the game to go.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man Ys 8 really took its time to introduce the villains. So much so that it's kinda weird there's villains at all.

Though, I think i'm kinda down for how even this late into the game it's not afraid to still introduce new things. It wasn't so long ago that the game just introduced a whole time-shifting element which ended up being like one of the main gimmicks of the game. And it hasn't stopped switching things up since then because now we've got global apocalypse via dinosaur attacks. It just wasn't where I expected the game to go.

i wasn't a fan of the shift, especially in the context of the larger series. no other ys game has a threat even close to what the adephagos represents, it's jarring

though i do like that the "villains" of the game aren't even really villains, they're more like cosmic working stiffs who are just there to file reports on the apocalypse and have varying degrees of mixed feelings about doing so

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

heck you can just draw maps of the dungeons in super mario rpg if you want to. i cant stop you.

I can. *cracks knuckles*

Don't you fuckin' dare.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The murderer was such a weird sort of...not really a side story, but a completely pointless plot element that felt so dumb. There's a guy stuck on a deserted island with only a handful of survivors, so his plan is to...kill them? To what end?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I dunno if I would call them villains if they don’t actually do anything and aren’t really against you.

I like the idea of a game with no villain but I guess there needs to be something to fight against.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Utgardaloki posted:

Greedfall won't hold you up like BbF, it's very easy. Idk why Goons are so down on it, it's better than the Bethesda/BioWare fare of the last five years.

This and the combat isn't much more janky, it's certainly better than any DA or any Bethesda RPG

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i wasn't a fan of the shift, especially in the context of the larger series. no other ys game has a threat even close to what the adephagos represents, it's jarring

though i do like that the "villains" of the game aren't even really villains, they're more like cosmic working stiffs who are just there to file reports on the apocalypse and have varying degrees of mixed feelings about doing so

This is my first Ys game so that didn't really bother me I guess. I'm still just kinda dealing with the idea that the answer to the question of "Why are there dinosaurs on this mysterious island" is that this island is where the apocalypse begins, and the apocalypse is dinosaurs.

Anyway, Ys 8 has been really good I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

I dunno if I would call them villains if they don’t actually do anything and aren’t really against you.

I like the idea of a game with no villain but I guess there needs to be something to fight against.
Most Atelier games don't really have a villain.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

Most Atelier games don't really have a villain.

Unless entropy and decay can be considered such

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Regarding Ys 8, I do miss the lack of inventory management from the older games. Not having the option to heal through boss attacks or have to deal with status effects was a feature, not a shortcoming. Felt like a very clean, stripped down action game experience without the extra JRPG bloat.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

This and the combat isn't much more janky, it's certainly better than any DA or any Bethesda RPG

Greedfall isn't perfect but man the setting and the look of the game are on point and definitely better than anything Bioware has put out in ages. There's some fun depth to combat and it's fairly well written. Mods are available on PC and really help too. It's not one of my favorite games but it definitely beats a lot in the genre especially recently. It's no Witcher 3 but what is?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

multijoe posted:

Regarding Ys 8, I do miss the lack of inventory management from the older games. Not having the option to heal through boss attacks or have to deal with status effects was a feature, not a shortcoming. Felt like a very clean, stripped down action game experience without the extra JRPG bloat.
It's why I still feel that Origin and Oath are still the best Ys in terms of actual gameplay, they geared the challenges (usually the boss fight) to be a certain way that required you to actually continuously get better and learn their patterns to succeed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Levantine posted:

Greedfall isn't perfect but man the setting and the look of the game are on point and definitely better than anything Bioware has put out in ages. There's some fun depth to combat and it's fairly well written. Mods are available on PC and really help too. It's not one of my favorite games but it definitely beats a lot in the genre especially recently. It's no Witcher 3 but what is?

I'd play Inquisition a million times over Greedfall. The same goes for Skyrim and I don't like Skyrim.

It's little things. Like getting into a building and having a huge spoiler in the codex entry. Or having to walk around a huge distance because there's a tiny twig in the way that the game decides you can't walk over. Or the areas being empty until you get the quests to go there.
Outside of all the broken poo poo it just doesn't tie together well in any spot. I said it before but the game feels a bit like playing a MMOG on a private server - where they're not quite sure how it works so loads of scripting breaks and all the assets constantly repeat and the maps are all kinda off.

I did a review on steam although there's another review up there that was spot on and I can't find now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Greedfall broadly does a decent impression of its genre and looks fine in videos but when you actually get into it it's a thousand little cuts of jank. Tiny graphical and technical glitches. All your animations being just a little bit clumsier than you want them to be. Finicky quest triggers. Comma splices, always the comma splices.

Other than that its main structural issue it has is its quests pretty consistently end with the imperialism being done by a bad actor who is foiled by you, the benevolent colonialist governor, either lawfully punishing them or lawfully murdering them after painstakingly establishing just cause. It's extremely "it's not the system that's broken."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Caphi posted:

Greedfall broadly does a decent impression of its genre and looks fine in videos but when you actually get into it it's a thousand little cuts of jank. Tiny graphical and technical glitches. All your animations being just a little bit clumsier than you want them to be. Finicky quest triggers. Comma splices, always the comma splices.

Other than that its main structural issue it has is its quests pretty consistently end with the imperialism being done by a bad actor who is foiled by you, the benevolent colonialist governor, either lawfully punishing them or lawfully murdering them after painstakingly establishing just cause. It's extremely "it's not the system that's broken."

As I put in my review it's really annoying that the game focuses on the Malicor but never tells you what it actually is. Especially when it seems as though it fucks up your face and your character has a big black mark on their face so...surely they have it? But nope, it's an unrelated big black mark. Okay.

I also hated that I supported the natives in the game but sometimes your character would suddenly say something really lovely and racist about them out of nowhere. Thanks for that game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Taear posted:

I supported the natives in the game but sometimes your character would suddenly say something really lovely and racist about them out of nowhere.

Ah, the ally experience.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Ah, the ally experience.

You're actually half native! Apparently.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Colonel posted:

makes the original tengai makyou iii feel like a weird ghost game even though effectively the team just turned it into its own indie jrpg

What game is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

What game is that?