Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cardiovorax posted:

Little personal tip: make sure you check the store pages of each game for bundles which might have additional discounts. I bought a 1.98$ game for 1.78$ yesterday because it was bundled with a game I already own and I got an extra ten percent off on top of the 80% off that it already had. Sure, it's just 20 cents, but depending on what you're interested in, this might add up quickly.
Kiwami 2 is 62 NIS (or however many $) but 56 as part of the bundle with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, both of which I already own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can slide your mouse through any recipe without variation really fast! Which means I'm really good at making lovely recipes and really bad at making the actually difficult stuff! It's terrible and I don't know why I play this way but I'm too used to it to change now!

This is thought crime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xander77 posted:

Kiwami 2 is 62 NIS (or however many $) but 56 as part of the bundle with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, both of which I already own.
It works out to about an additional 1.70$ off on my end, which is a pretty sweet deal for a good game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know how to say this without making Jack Thompson sound right, but what are some good intense, violent action games along the lines of Katana Zero or Hotline Miami that uh, aren't those?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Party Hard, maybe? Although I suppose that depending on how you feel about the gameplay, it's too much of a puzzle game to count for that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Acerbatus posted:

I don't know how to say this without making Jack Thompson sound right, but what are some good intense, violent action games along the lines of Katana Zero or Hotline Miami that uh, aren't those?

My Friend Pedro is pretty much this to a T.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

It's not exactly what you're looking for but there's always Sniper Elite if you wanna giggle maniacally about gore and then feel bad about it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Acerbatus posted:

Haven't played it myself but Ape Out is supposed to be excellent.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

I've heard good things about Ape Out but I can't vouch for it since I haven't played it yet.

e: I'm dumb shoulda refreshed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Infinity Gaia posted:

At least feel confident that you're not as wrong as me, the person who plays CSD3 with a mouse (and the CTRL key).

Wakes up reads the thread some good interesting opinions in here Iratus is good yes yes ---

How???? How! Please explain how this goes and if it works!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can slide your mouse through any recipe without variation really fast! Which means I'm really good at making lovely recipes and really bad at making the actually difficult stuff! It's terrible and I don't know why I play this way but I'm too used to it to change now!

No! No no no!!!!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Short answer: No.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Acerbatus posted:

You probably already have it since basically everyone has it, but Nuclear Throne is insanely good and very intense.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've never graduated from CSD1 because the mouse control is doable mixed with some key board commands compared to the tabbed pages on the sequels.

The only good keyboard control in CSD is fish filleting. If I wanted to play a typing teacher I'd get out Typing of the Dead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

zedprime posted:

I've never graduated from CSD1 because the mouse control is doable mixed with some key board commands compared to the tabbed pages on the sequels.

The only good keyboard control in CSD is fish filleting. If I wanted to play a typing teacher I'd get out Typing of the Dead.

It's not a typing teacher, it's a reflex rhythm game that uses the keyboard. Like how sudoku uses numbers but isn't math.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I've only really played Dominion, in this category. Would you mind answering what is a market row and why is it bad? Dominion has a row of cards that you set out at the beginning, and you can (only) buy from those cards. I'm guessing that's not what a market row means?

I didn't see an answer to this on the first page, so I'll answer.

Dominion has you set up your kingdom before the game starts. You have 10 static kingdom cards that do not change. All players have access to them, especially since no pile can be depleted before a player has a chance to get them. Let's say you have a base game set up with Chapel, Village, Blacksmith, Festival, and Market (there are supposed to be 10 but I'm stopping at five to type and think less).

A market row replaces that idea with a few cards randomly drawn from a deck. So you would shuffle the Chapel, Village, Blacksmith, Festival, and Market into a deck, and draw say 2 cards face up that can be bought. When one of those two cards is bought, another is drawn from the deck to replace it either immediately or at the end of the player's turn.

Let's say that you want to get a Smithy Village engine running in the base game. You can simply buy the Blacksmith and Villages on your turns as you see fit. In the market row game, you have to hope that you even get the chance to purchase the two cards. What if the player before you buys the Blacksmith you see? If another does not replace it on your turn, you are forced to pivot strategies or lose tempo. Not by choice, but simply because the game introduced an RNG effect that affects the decision space of the players in a way that they have no agency. You don't get to control what cards you can buy, only whether you can buy what you see.

Tldr: market row is bad because it introduces luck into the genre in a way that does not affect all players equally and removes ability to effectively play to strategies

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's not a typing teacher, it's a reflex rhythm game that uses the keyboard. Like how sudoku uses numbers but isn't math.
Sudoku is math because logic is a subset of math.

A rhythm game using the keyboard is a typing game. You're literally touch typing based on prompts by the time you're keyboard only.

Filleting fish in CSD1 is fun because it's a neat haptic thing to go swish swish swish on the keyboard and all of that has been excised for Ctrl M = Mustard.

E. I don't want to detract from the actual improvements in CSD2 and especially 3. The parts with serving bins and actual metrics on how complicated a recipe are are really cool and I just wish the minigame input wasnt straight up typing.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Counterpoint: in coop vs the board deckbuilders like Legendary market rows are fun and good

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Acerbatus posted:

Synthetik.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hard disagree.

Valley of the King approaches market row in a way that can be appreciated because you have foresight and agency in trying to determine the path you should take. Legendary and Big Book of Madness are almost non games because players don't have a guarantee that they can outplay the coop elements as presented, which is then exacerbated by maybe not seeing the pieces you need to even deal with the threats.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

quote:

CDDA
Make sure to download a Tileset. I use MSX Dead People tileset and everything looks great and easier to learn.

quote:

Project Zomboid
It’s... pretty barebone and gets boring really quickly. No, it’s more like you ran out of new things to do.

quote:

Darkest Dungeon
I played the older version, so my opinion might not apply anymore. The game balance design is terrible. It’s very difficult to make a profit from dungeon since you need to spend it on fixing your crippled members or invest into upgrades. I cheated cash to max out every upgrade and they only helps a little in battle and fix your men a bit faster. It’s fine if the goal is to unlock dungeon through mass casualties and losing money.

quote:

iratus
Now this is good combat design. You have lots of customization and combinations that gives you a fair shot at anything. Upgrade are actually useful and resources have more importance to your overall survival. Game balance might become too easy if you galaxy brain or luck into find a powerful team combo and/or some equipment that enables it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

zedprime posted:

Sudoku is math because logic is a subset of math.
This statement is complete and total nonsense. Logic is the philosophical discipline of correct and structured reasoning. It can be expressed in ways that look like mathematical expressions, but that doesn't make it math unless you're specifically talking about symbolic or mathematical logic.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I´m currently in the mood for some life simulators and thus far I´ve found https://store.steampowered.com/app/881420/Six_Ages_Ride_Like_the_Wind/ and https://store.steampowered.com/app/974910/Magical_Diary_Wolf_Hall/. Are there any other titles I should have a look at in this genre (that isn´t a google/crowd translated mess?)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cardiovorax posted:

This statement is complete and total nonsense. Logic is the philosophical discipline of correct and structured reasoning. It can be expressed in ways that look like mathematical expressions, but that doesn't make it math.
Philosophical logic is an umbrella containing math logic. Sudoku is very specifically a fun game made of set and graph theories, concepts very well claimed by math instead of philosophy.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I´m currently in the mood for some life simulators and thus far I´ve found https://store.steampowered.com/app/881420/Six_Ages_Ride_Like_the_Wind/ and https://store.steampowered.com/app/974910/Magical_Diary_Wolf_Hall/. Are there any other titles I should have a look at in this genre (that isn´t a google/crowd translated mess?)

If you're getting Six Ages, also get King of Dragon Pass. Its set in the same universe a few hundred years or so later, doing roughly the same things as it came first, but its phenominal.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

what's a good match 3 puzzle game to get before the sale ends?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

As much as I genuinely love viscera cleanup detail (I have entirely too much ADHD), it would be so much better with some kind of upgrade system. VCD with the ability to get better mops and buckets and stuff would be terrifyingly perfect for me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Under three hours to go, buy buy buy!

:homebrew:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

If you're getting Six Ages, also get King of Dragon Pass. Its set in the same universe a few hundred years or so later, doing roughly the same things as it came first, but its phenominal.
Already got it since it came back a few years ago on GoG.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Penpal posted:

what's a good match 3 puzzle game to get before the sale ends?

Gyromancer is pretty fun, but be ready to have an insanely inflated "hours played" count on it since the .exe doesn't like to close all the way in Windows 10.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

As much as I genuinely love viscera cleanup detail (I have entirely too much ADHD), it would be so much better with some kind of upgrade system. VCD with the ability to get better mops and buckets and stuff would be terrifyingly perfect for me.

Speaking of which, Shipbreakers is getting that no timer mode if that was your sticking point on it (the royal your.)

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Gyromancer is pretty fun, but be ready to have an insanely inflated "hours played" count on it since the .exe doesn't like to close all the way in Windows 10.

Or just the good old Puzzle Quest. It's always there for you. Someone even managed to get the expansion and updates that weren't officially released on PC to run with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

It's not going to be perfect but if you want something in the same kind of genre, House Flippers did it for me. Somehow I love cleaning up messes/fixing problems for other people in games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Baller Time posted:

Or just the good old Puzzle Quest. It's always there for you. Someone even managed to get the expansion and updates that weren't officially released on PC to run with it.

I replayed Puzzle Quest on the Switch recently and the slow animation speed drove me absolutely bonkers.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

It's not exactly match 3, but Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is the only matching puzzle RPG that comes close to the original Puzzle Quest for me, everything else just kinda sucks

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Already got it since it came back a few years ago on GoG.

You want the steam version too. The GoG release is the old classic version that you could get on disk by mailing physical money to A#, while the steam release is the updated one they put out after they recovered the source code. It has a couple new events, some very nice QoL features, and fixes some rather bad but hidden bugs (like the infinite recursive sheep spiral.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUDQYWk6qY

New noclip and it's about a game I am enjoying a lot!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

You want the steam version too. The GoG release is the old classic version that you could get on disk by mailing physical money to A#, while the steam release is the updated one they put out after they recovered the source code. It has a couple new events, some very nice QoL features, and fixes some rather bad but hidden bugs (like the infinite recursive sheep spiral.)
Really? You´d think that GoG would have caught up on that as well since they tend to be on the ball for those kind of things.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Its a different version, not just a regular update, which is why I imagine GoG doesn't have it. Plus its nice to have the option of both if you want.

Or I just could be nuts, I have bought the game like 6 times now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Not sure if it's been mentioned but as a heads up Noita is going to get a price increase this summer as it's heading towards 1.0 so the 25% off of the current price is probably the cheapest it's going to be for a while.