Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

dialhforhero posted:

Also looking forward to Neo New York

:kamina:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

loving HELL

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

morallyobjected posted:

every time I walk by that building (which is not often--I don't live in Seattle) I wonder what the gently caress the point was

aside from whatever the architect claimed for a justification, whenever you see a weirdly shaped skyscraper in the united states it's often because the maximum permissible legal volume to build in is not a straight cuboid shape. for example, you could have a lot more space to build in above ground level than at ground level, because of 'air rights' and things like that. you may also get incentives for preserving open or green space at the ground surface, while still building out more volume above ground level

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

mega oof

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

:holymoley:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Begrudging respect.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Remember the time that guy blew his brains out on live tv?

This picture reminds me of that.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

dialhforhero posted:

Also looking forward to New New York

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BrianBoitano posted:

Another fun thing about the "beams near the outside" design was the need for a tuned mass damper. Basically, this is a huge counterweight in the upper floors which moves to cancel out any vibrations that get started. This was original design, and quickly caught on because besides making it safer it made taller buildings less vomit-inducing.

lol, one of the articles I read mentioned they were like "ok well good thing we've got the mass damper ---wait gently caress what if there's a power outage that lasts longer than the backup generators can handle?"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We should just build buildings into the earth instead, that way the surface will be all clear

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Underground arcologies when??

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Biplane posted:

Underground arcologies when??

Have I got a bad idea for you!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Jesus christ that website is loving unreadable on mobile.

Does it say why it's a bad idea beyond building it somewhere with lots of earthquakes?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mexico City is also sinking.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

the biggest giveaway that this is fake and will never happen is the $42 parking

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Icedude posted:

Does it say why it's a bad idea beyond building it somewhere with lots of earthquakes?

Balrogs.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Somewhere the King or Swamp Castle nods approvingly

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ma! The furries are confusing the Twitter bots again!

Context:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Where was this posted recently?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Things that look NSFW thread.

I like reading a bunch of PYF threads and watching these topics ripple outwards

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrianBoitano posted:

Ma! The furries are confusing the Twitter bots again!

I love that this post would haven been ENTIRELY incomprehensible at the time I joined these forums

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I dont care about the funny pictures anymore this thing about the building designed to fall over until it wasnt is *amazing*

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It was also in a politics thread since a feminist author wrote a book about misogyny in architecture and this was brought up as a feminine skyscraper

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Driving round my camels
In a Peugot full of smells

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Remember a time when men would execute themselves in a gruesome fashion when caught doing wrong? Now they just run for a second term.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hhhat posted:

I dont care about the funny pictures anymore this thing about the building designed to fall over until it wasnt is *amazing*

They pulled off a Reverse Jenga.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Remember a time when men would execute themselves in a gruesome fashion when caught doing wrong? Now they just run for a second term.

Another reason to be jealous of South Korea:

"LA Times this morning posted:

SEOUL — Police say the body of Park Won-soon, the mayor of Seoul, has been found in the hills in the northern part of the city, more than seven hours after they launched a massive search for him. The discovery was made early Friday.
Park had vanished amid sexual harassment allegations after giving his daughter a message that she described as sounding like a will, police said.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

morallyobjected posted:

every time I walk by that building (which is not often--I don't live in Seattle) I wonder what the gently caress the point was

you know the point. nothing is a bigger flared base then the earth. finally giants can have a butt plug.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/JkqnXPJ.mp4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://twitter.com/keet0007/status/1281234583963537413

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

This is apparently a real fish that lived 359 million years ago.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/KMKWrites/status/1281084519311765504?s=09

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BrianBoitano posted:

Another reason to be jealous of South Korea:

I read that last bit as “giving his daughter a massage”.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

-Zydeco- posted:

Has it been so long since the Snorks went off the air

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Icedude posted:

It's funny that it's bad on mobile because this is literally all I've got on any gizmodo group website for the past week

Cleared cookies, used a clean chrome install, then I stopped caring. I figure I'm not missing much

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

-Zydeco- posted:

:razz:+:coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Has it been so long since the Snorks went off the air

Holy gently caress, was that the cartoon with the underwater smurfalikes, and a dude trapped in a sunken ship???