Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EightFlyingCars posted:

Farley you son of a bitch

I get frustrated just looking at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Cessna posted:

I get frustrated just looking at that.

Mahjong is exactly the 4 PM dick flattening meme

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
mahjong quiz: spot the player going for kokushi

:thunk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Farley you son of a bitch

karaten riichi for flow

(karaten riichi actually isn't a terrible idea as dealer because people will frequently fold against any dealer riichi lol)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
btw if you're interested in pro mahjong, the m-league finals is airing tomorrow at 6am eastern daylight time on https://abema.tv/now-on-air/mahjong

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Oh wow I didn't realize that you don't need a VPN to watch it anymore like you used to

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finally had to learn how fu works. Way in fourth in the last round as the dealer, I thought I was scoring a cheap win just to stay alive but after calling ankan on a set of dragons and winning shortly after I had 4 han (three dora), 60 fu for 12000 points and a win. I was just hoping to snag some extra dora but I see the 32 fu from that quad of honors -- ok wait checking the table again that actually didn't make much of a difference, the 30 fu I think would have had with just a set would have made for an 11600 point hand anyway? This game is weird.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
fu stands for "gently caress u"

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Watching Ooi in M League has been a guilty pleasure lately. I don't know if he's gonna be playing tomorrow but here's a drinking game if he does: take a swig every time Ooi makes a pained expression, he slams a discard, or there is audible sighing

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Finally had to learn how fu works. Way in fourth in the last round as the dealer, I thought I was scoring a cheap win just to stay alive but after calling ankan on a set of dragons and winning shortly after I had 4 han (three dora), 60 fu for 12000 points and a win. I was just hoping to snag some extra dora but I see the 32 fu from that quad of honors -- ok wait checking the table again that actually didn't make much of a difference, the 30 fu I think would have had with just a set would have made for an 11600 point hand anyway? This game is weird.

When you hit 4 Han, it is rare for fu to even matter since getting 20 fu is really hard (even pinfu hands, despite the name, are usually 22 fu and thus scored as 30 fu) and 30 fu almost puts you at mangan territory. The main time it should really be part of your calculations is for a 3 Han hand.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Generally manual fu calculation matters for a) hands with honor/terminal ankou or multiple simple ankou, and b) any hands with kan. Otherwise, pinfu tsumo is 20, most open hands are 30, toitoi is usually 40, and closed hands are usually 30/40 tusmo/ron

MegaZeroX posted:

When you hit 4 Han, it is rare for fu to even matter since getting 20 fu is really hard (even pinfu hands, despite the name, are usually 22 fu and thus scored as 30 fu) and 30 fu almost puts you at mangan territory. The main time it should really be part of your calculations is for a 3 Han hand.

Open hands with a pinfu shape are 30 (the explanation isn't worthwhile, it's just that open hands are considered to be 30 minimum) and tsumo pinfu is always 20. You don't get the 2 fu bonus for closed tsumo for pinfu, it's a special case.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 23, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hopefully this works, there always needs to be more strategy literature in english and this is one of the best one's I've read since the original RB1

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/584898975446859796/720982540948734002/Gentaros_tile_efficiency_course.pdf

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hopefully this works, there always needs to be more strategy literature in english and this is one of the best one's I've read since the original RB1

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/584898975446859796/720982540948734002/Gentaros_tile_efficiency_course.pdf

Worked for me, thanks!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
AnimEVO Mahjong Soul rules draft:
https://twitter.com/zanverse/status/1277825942916870145

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

No seasonal outfits? Wack.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
headbump is even more wack. nobody likes headbump!!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like headbump. How would you even write a mahjong manga without headbump

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not that I can completely keep track of even the more basic stuff at speed yet but playing online do good players take note of the little pause that occurs after discard when someone has a call on that tile but declines and mentally file that knowledge away to remember if they appear ready and haven't shown that block later?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yes which is why if you look at the pro players they often have it on auto deny unless they are looking to open their hand

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Honor tiles, and maybe some of the other tiles, will always have a random pause attached to them whether or not somebody can call.

Speaking of little things to notice, whether a player discards the tile they just drew or whether they replace it with a tile in their hand also have unique animations. The animated position from their hand they discard a tile from in the case of tedashi doesn't correspond to the actual position, though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Not that I can completely keep track of even the more basic stuff at speed yet but playing online do good players take note of the little pause that occurs after discard when someone has a call on that tile but declines and mentally file that knowledge away to remember if they appear ready and haven't shown that block later?

The game randomly inserts fake pauses to combat that. If the pause is really long though, it's definitely a player thinking.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Drake pointing with approval at: the Tenhou promotion screen
Drake raising his hand to dismiss: the gnawing realization that the Tenhou promotion screen is probably the most affirming thing that happens to me most weeks

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
That feeling when you get Ronned twice in the second round and losing the game. :negative:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
F

E) I would have laughed so hard if someone had managed to pull a 4 kan abort there

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How... how could you look at that calls and think it's OK to discard a wind tile there??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How... how could you look at that calls and think it's OK to discard a wind tile there??

looking at the hand, he was last place and tenpai with a shitload of dora, and it's game over if north wins anyway. honestly not really a wrong decision.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
AnimEVO registration is open.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just checking, this is a good case to stay dama? Leading in the last round of tonpu as non-dealer so I don't care about points, dual pon wait on either my seat wind or a dragon so I don't need riichi for a yaku and can't set a suji trap, dealing in could definitely cost me the win so it seems worth keeping the option to fold if I need to.

e: holy poo poo lmao

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 11, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tbh with a dual honor shanpon wait I might riichi just because those tiles are likely to be considered relatively safe

Dama is probably fine though

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
my first yakuman against human players was a tsumo four concealed triplets in last round with 2 draws left. extreme luck.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Well this sure is the worst riichi I've ever called

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Wow, look at this braggart that has the self restraint to not declare riichi on a hell wait

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've started playing riichi mahjong again recently. Been getting better, though I still make some mistakes (the one that felt worst, even if it's probably not the actual worst, was having several concealed pons in hand , then reflexively calling on some kans and opening my hand, only to immediately regret it) and am trying to figure out when some things are a good idea (going for seven pairs, even when I already have five pairs in hand and plenty of time before the round ends, has almost never worked for me and I'm starting to feel like it's a trap, as an example that I remember; I've unfortunately forgotten some of the questions I wanted to ask here from a day or two ago).

Something I've been doing but kind of feel like a dick for, when I'm dealer and behind I tend to go for faster/simpler hands, even if they're only like 1k-2k points, so I can chain dealer rounds and try to catch back up. Given the way the rules work this seems like it's intended or expected, but it still feels kind of slimy.

Also for some reason it feels like, even when I'm doing really well in Mahjong Soul, my copper supply seems to be generally trending down slightly but steadily. It seems worse when I play south games rather than east, too, which has me starting to play more east rounds despite liking the longer south ones generally. Is this just due to how the game calculates copper rewards versus the cost of playing, or is it evidence that I am doing worse than I feel like I am? I don't spend the copper on anything besides entering matches, so that's not it.

And, when watching "in-progress" (I think there's a five minute delay) matches, why are some discarded tiles gray but not others? Every time I think I've figured it out something happens that disproves that idea.

Edit: Okay, just remembered something I've been wondering about, dealing with dora tiles that are either terminals or winds that aren't prevalent or your particular seat, and you don't have some other yakuhai that makes calling pon/chi (as relevant) for them a non-issue. Much of the time I see them just all get discarded in games, which I've done too when I'm pretty sure it's safe, but sometimes there are situations like having two in hand, someone discarding a third, and having to make the hard choice of how to react and what kinds of hands I could make if I called it. Sometimes there's a relatively easy(-ish) way to a half-flush or something, at least, but others...

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 20, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just learned about sekinin barai/pao and I love that someone thought to make that a rule.

Roland Jones posted:

Also for some reason it feels like, even when I'm doing really well in Mahjong Soul, my copper supply seems to be generally trending down slightly but steadily. It seems worse when I play south games rather than east, too, which has me starting to play more east rounds despite liking the longer south ones generally. Is this just due to how the game calculates copper rewards versus the cost of playing, or is it evidence that I am doing worse than I feel like I am? I don't spend the copper on anything besides entering matches, so that's not it.
In the month or so I've been playing, I was a little under breakeven on my actual play until getting better/hot recently. I'm always playing East-only in the Silver room. Also three or four times they've sent a bunch of coins with a message apologizing for downtime I never even noticed or celebrating some milestone on the site so regularly check the Mail tab under the Events button I think?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

And, when watching "in-progress" (I think there's a five minute delay) matches, why are some discarded tiles gray but not others? Every time I think I've figured it out something happens that disproves that idea.

If they discard a tile from their hand, it's normal, if they discard the tile the've just drawn, it's greyed-out.
This can be valuable information, but it is only visible like that in replays or while spectating.
You need to pay attention to that (and remember it) yourself while playing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Just learned about sekinin barai/pao and I love that someone thought to make that a rule.

In the month or so I've been playing, I was a little under breakeven on my actual play until getting better/hot recently. I'm always playing East-only in the Silver room. Also three or four times they've sent a bunch of coins with a message apologizing for downtime I never even noticed or celebrating some milestone on the site so regularly check the Mail tab under the Events button I think?

Okay, so it's not just me, thanks. I have plenty of copper at the moment thankfully (just dropping $5 on the charm that gives you $5 of jade immediately and $30 more over the course of a month gets you the first two VIP rewards, which include a lot of copper), but it had me concerned about the medium-long term.

Tamba posted:

If they discard a tile from their hand, it's normal, if they discard the tile the've just drawn, it's greyed-out.
This can be valuable information, but it is only visible like that in replays or while spectating.
You need to pay attention to that (and remember it) yourself while playing.

Thank you. This also reminds me that, after noticing that you can see from where in someone's hand their discard was, I was wondering about things like if, when drawing a second of a tile you're already intending to discard because it's useless to what you're going for, it'd be better to discard the one that's in your hand rather than the one you drew in case people are paying attention to that. (Assuming that having a pair of that tile doesn't mean you now don't want to discard it, of course.)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You can't actually tell the position of the tile from that. It's always the same animation of discarding a tile from the middle, even if they discard the outermost tile.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

7 pairs is a slow hand. If your hand isn't very good it may be faster than trying to complete your hand normally though. The other upside is that it's a hand you can potentially make while defending - you can choose between 4 discards every turn while staying in iishanten, and you obviously have a bunch of pairs you can discard consecutively if needed. You aren't ever forced to choose between breaking up your hand and discarding a dangerous draw like you are be with basically any other hand.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 21, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A hand that looks like a candidate for chiitoitsu may also be, depending on tile availability, a candidate for toitoi, and that's worth 2 han and still a yaku when opened. Easy to combine with some other yakus as well for big points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I think it works differently in Bronze room than the others, but you should generally not be losing coppers as long as you're taking 1st/2nd enough. Remember you can always get welfare coppers once a day in the Event tab if your currency runs too low.