Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

subwoofer and $700 cables on the way!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yes but that's not a cable, it's an interconnect.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Yes but that's not a cable, it's an interconnect.

i have no idea what that means but it's under the RCA audio cable section and it's 700 so lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

actionjackson posted:

subwoofer and $700 cables on the way!!

Whoops, accidentally ordered 700 $1 cables

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

Do not buy $45 RCA cables.

:emptyquote:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My monitors just have inputs so I don't think the subwoofer will work as it also only has inputs! Whoops.

Is there some really easy DIY way to angle my monitors up? I assume having them directly on my desk isn't the greatest.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 8, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

actionjackson posted:

My monitors just have inputs so I don't think the subwoofer will work as it also only has inputs! Whoops.

Is there some really easy DIY way to angle my monitors up? I assume having them directly on my desk isn't the greatest.

Keep the sub. Get a receiver with bluetooth and an LFE out, and some tower speakers.
Think about it this way; at least you'll have half as many wires running to your speakers as you would powered monitors.
Or are we not talking about the credenza setup anymore? I'm having a hard time keeping up.

If you want to isolate the monitors, these ain't bad:
https://www.parts-express.com/talent-miw1-studio-monitor-acoustic-isolation-pads-foam-wedge-set--233-140

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Jesus loving Christ I feel like I've been reading about your stupid speakers, turntable and desk across every thread on the forum for the last two weeks, and I still have no clue exactly what you're trying to accomplish!

If you're trolling, congratulations, you got me!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A popular local club closed down due to coronavirus and they’re auctioning off their stuff. Some of the stuff looks interesting but it would all be overkill for my current or any future home: https://rasmus.com/auctions/CsG4JNoEvIKKNoapridN/a/M30372-18th-Lounge-DC-Nite-Club-Music-Venue-Auction---Washington--DC

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Residency Evil posted:

Really?

Is there a place that at least has a list of speakers to check out in a given price range? Specifically for home theater use?

I'd recommend adding a list to the first post of the thread, but there's really just so much out there. Would it at least be worth it to include popular starting points or goon favorites? Of course someone would have to start a new thread since Hob Gadling is banned.

My current home theater is a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX bookshelf speakers on stands, a pair of Ascend CMT-340 SE monitors as surrounds, and some cheap Klipsch subwoofer (can't remember the model #, it's a holdover from a while back). Periodically heated discussions will break out here about whether a center channel is required or not. I was using an Ascend CMT-340 SE center until I got the Sierra-2EX; the sound is so much better through that pair compared to the two with the center, so I just unplugged it.

Upgrading my subwoofer in my home theater is the next place I was planning to go (as far as audio, I might be replacing the TV first). I'm really not that smart when it comes to subwoofers though. I was looking at SVS as a starting point and I'm wondering what I would get going from one series to the next- is there a point of diminishing returns? Is the PB-16 Ultra a waste of money for example? And what's the benefit of using two subs over one- is that to ensure a more uniform bass sound throughout the space? I'm much more interested in fidelity than I am in overall volume- I'm in a townhouse at the end of a row with only one neighbor, so I can be a little loud at times but can't go crazy. Ideally I'd want something that sounds clear and precise at low overall volumes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Subwoofers are awesome but they're also probably the most annoying, tricky thing in audio.

How much/many subwoofers you need is largely determined by a combination of room, grognard level and if you want to merely feel bass or be punched in the stomach by it. Is it a closed room or open? Big or small? If it's open or very large you'll need to push more air which would mean larger subs. The level of bass, with its super long wavelengths measured in feet, can be super inconsistent in a room. The easiest way to deal with this is multiple subs which will work to reduce peaks and valleys in response. That said configuring and calibrating two subs to sound good is probably more than twice as much work as one. Do you have flexibility in placement or are there only one or two spots where you can fit subs?

I'd ballpark estimate if you have more than a grand in budget and space for them one should consider multiple small/medium subs over one giant one. If you have a normal sized room with normal height ceilings I don't see a lot of value in something like a PB-16 [except for the novelty value of freaking out your guests] over say a pair of PB-2000s.

e: Conventional wisdom is sealed subs are "faster" or "tighter" and ported have more max output. There's much debate around this but I ended up with a sealed sub because of size and that my first one was sealed and I never felt like I needed "more."

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 8, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Howdy thread, I am looking into upgrading my av receiver to one that can handle 4k.

I'm only doing 5.1 currently and was thinking of either another denon or maybe an onkyo.

Any recommendations?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

MacheteZombie posted:

Howdy thread, I am looking into upgrading my av receiver to one that can handle 4k.

I'm only doing 5.1 currently and was thinking of either another denon or maybe an onkyo.

Any recommendations?

Get the Denon X series that you can find in stock and fits your budget, there don't seem to be any good deals right now

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dogen posted:

Get the Denon X series that you can find in stock and fits your budget, there don't seem to be any good deals right now

Accessories4Less has the X1500 for 400 and the X1600 for 450, I’d probably go with one of those. (There’s also the comparable S-series receivers - the AVS Forum Denon thread has a good summary of the differences as you step up/down the line that might guide you in figuring out which one you want.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

Kalman posted:

Accessories4Less has the X1500 for 400 and the X1600 for 450, I’d probably go with one of those. (There’s also the comparable S-series receivers - the AVS Forum Denon thread has a good summary of the differences as you step up/down the line that might guide you in figuring out which one you want.)

Yeah, I've been waiting for a good deal on a Denon and it seems like there's nothing. Seems like the x3500 goes on sale for $500 every now and then and would be worth the upgrade, but again, it's been a while since a deal came up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I got a 4400 for $800 last year and could not be more pleased, and now it almost feels like stealing.

3500 for $500 would be a drat good deal too.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

MacheteZombie posted:

Any recommendations?
Just chiming in to say I've been happy with the couple of onkyos I've gotten over the last dozen years.

Most recent was 2ish years ago, a tx-nr676 I think.

Main reason going with them was bang for buck, past history, and it was available to pick up at best buy locally. I probably was mainly looking for $350ish receivers at the time.

The only issue I have with it is it's built in Pandora app times out a lot for some reason, seems buggy. I use HDMI ARC with TCL TV and it works great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions! Gunna look into these today.

Is there anything that can be done with old av receivers that still work? Trade in on accessories4less?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

e: Conventional wisdom is sealed subs are "faster" or "tighter" and ported have more max output. There's much debate around this but I ended up with a sealed sub because of size and that my first one was sealed and I never felt like I needed "more."

Sealed subs control the driver excursion better than ported because as the name suggests they're airtight. Assuming it's well designed this means the thing should have more accurate response/attack than a ported sub hence why you get the audiophile terms 'fast, tight and musical' used to describe them.

Ported are definitely louder but not necessarily better unless you need raw output due to a particularly huge room.

And then you have folded horns which have a sealed driver chamber and high pressure on the front of the driver so have great driver control and then the entirety of the horn to both amplify and also filter what comes out the end meaning they're really loud and also very clean. So basically the best of sealed and ported... Downside being they're a lot bigger than both ported and sealed. You can get really high quality audio from them out of tiny drivers and gently caress all power though.

I do love a horn, I have several but my general setup sub is a dual ported with one of the ports blocked off with a pair of rolled up socks because it sounded worse with them both open where it is :v:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 8, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Another question, and probably a dumb one:

Should I be on the look out for any specific HDMI cables?

Was thinking about replacing several of mine with these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13779

My current TV (vizio p702ui-b3 from 2015ish) can do 4K @ 60Hz* (with only 1 port lol), but I don't mind "future proofing" a few cables if necessary. If this is a better question for a different thread please let me know, happy to be dumb in the appropriate place lol.

*effective refresh rate of 240 hz, whatever that means

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

MacheteZombie posted:

Another question, and probably a dumb one:

Should I be on the look out for any specific HDMI cables?

Was thinking about replacing several of mine with these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13779

My current TV (vizio p702ui-b3 from 2015ish) can do 4K @ 60Hz* (with only 1 port lol), but I don't mind "future proofing" a few cables if necessary. If this is a better question for a different thread please let me know, happy to be dumb in the appropriate place lol.

*effective refresh rate of 240 hz, whatever that means

Monoprice is consistently a good product at a good value. I'd recommend them regardless of your bandwidth choice.

The current highest theoretical bandwidth is uncompressed 12-bit HDR 4k video at 120Hz (or 8k @ 60Hz), which works out to 48Gbps. That'd be these: https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables?&menuDisStr=hdmi%20cables&v_Bandwidth_uFilter=48Gbps&TotalProducts=45

Currently there are no sources that output that signal and the HDMI spec for it isn't yet finalized, but the next generation of consoles is expected to support something close to it. On the one hand your TV can't display those resolutions at that bit depth at that framerate, so you don't need the upgrade right now. On the other hand, a 6 foot 48Gbps cable is 12 dollars so you wouldn't be breaking the bank either way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

Monoprice is consistently a good product at a good value. I'd recommend them regardless of your bandwidth choice.

The current highest theoretical bandwidth is uncompressed 12-bit HDR 4k video at 120Hz (or 8k @ 60Hz), which works out to 48Gbps. That'd be these: https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables?&menuDisStr=hdmi%20cables&v_Bandwidth_uFilter=48Gbps&TotalProducts=45

Currently there are no sources that output that signal and the HDMI spec for it isn't yet finalized, but the next generation of consoles is expected to support something close to it. On the one hand your TV can't display those resolutions at that bit depth at that framerate, so you don't need the upgrade right now. On the other hand, a 6 foot 48Gbps cable is 12 dollars so you wouldn't be breaking the bank either way.

Thanks I saw it wasn't expensive to get the 48gbps cables but having not looked into this stuff in awhile I wasnt sure if they'd be the standard cable in the near future or not.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Josh Lyman posted:

A popular local club closed down due to coronavirus and they’re auctioning off their stuff. Some of the stuff looks interesting but it would all be overkill for my current or any future home: https://rasmus.com/auctions/CsG4JNoEvIKKNoapridN/a/M30372-18th-Lounge-DC-Nite-Club-Music-Venue-Auction---Washington--DC

meh none of that stuff seems like a terribly good deal and I'm not particularly interested in any of the PA stuff.
I'm surprised that a lof of that gear is already fetching as much money as it is. Also impressed by the sheer volume of stuff they've got too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

meh none of that stuff seems like a terribly good deal and I'm not particularly interested in any of the PA stuff.
I'm surprised that a lof of that gear is already fetching as much money as it is. Also impressed by the sheer volume of stuff they've got too.
The club had 4 floors including an open roof. Different DJ’s/music in each space.

Really surprised they went under since it was such a staple but I guess no revenue for 6+ months will do that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So I know my tv can't do it now, but is HDR10+ worth considering in my receiver purchase if I'm going to be looking at new tv's in a couple years?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

The club had 4 floors including an open roof. Different DJ’s/music in each space.

Really surprised they went under since it was such a staple but I guess no revenue for 6+ months will do that.

It has nothing to do with revenue and everything to do with the landlord being unwilling to renegotiate their lease, since they were insisting on increasing as they would in a pre-COVID world.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm looking at getting a new Soundbar.

I had a 2017 LG SH4 Soundbar, I'm looking at upgrading to either the SL6Y or the SL8YG.

Both are 3.1 Soundbars unlike the previous 2.1, which should make the dialogue easier to understand on TV.
The SL6 is half the price of the SL8. But the SL8Y has more fancy sound supports (Dolby Atmos) which I don't think is going to be a thing I'll notice. The built in Chromecast feature seems nice, does anybody have any experience? My wife does like streaming music from her phone to the Soundbar for listening.

There's also the option of adding additional wireless speakers later on for 5.1 sound. Has anyone any experience on how good that is?

Edit: I discovered that PC World are selling the SL7Y. It's cheaper than the SL6Y and has Chromcast built in. It might be the perfect compromise.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Both are 3.1 Soundbars unlike the previous 2.1, which should make the dialogue easier to understand on TV.

It won't. The audio will be going through drivers of the same size you have now, just in the middle but even if you turn it up it won't change the dialog relative to other audio because most of that will also be mixed to the center. It probably won't hurt anything given how small those drivers are but don't expect a major improvement.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Atmos devolves into a core dolby lossless track if you don't have height channels so that seems like a weird feature to advertise on a soundbar anyway? Like, can you add height channels to the setup somehow?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dogen posted:

Atmos devolves into a core dolby lossless track if you don't have height channels so that seems like a weird feature to advertise on a soundbar anyway? Like, can you add height channels to the setup somehow?

Most of them have a couple of those same beats pill drivers pointed at the ceiling but mostly it’s just a marketing checkbox. In my view Atmos is something you get to after you get bored with an actual surround system.

The Atmos sizzle reel sounds super good on my stereo setup though :v:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I'm happy with my very good 5.1 setup. Is there a part of me that wants to see the Atmos light go on on my receiver? Yes. Do I want to spend the money required and run some more wires and figure out where to put height speakers? Hell no.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dogen posted:

Yeah I'm happy with my very good 5.1 setup. Is there a part of me that wants to see the Atmos light go on on my receiver? Yes. Do I want to spend the money required and run some more wires and figure out where to put height speakers? Hell no.

I cheated with some upfiring addons to my existing fronts, but once I saw the Atmos light turn on, I had to make it real.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm moving into a new apartment and will be unable to use my rear speakers going forward, is there some way I can connect them to my PC and use them as stereo speakers there? I currently have them hooked up with a speaker cable and banana plugs.

EDIT: I guess a small AMP like this should do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B06Y67PZB1/

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 11, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm moving into a new apartment and will be unable to use my rear speakers going forward, is there some way I can connect them to my PC and use them as stereo speakers there? I currently have them hooked up with a speaker cable and banana plugs.

Yes, but you’ll need to buy something to amplify the PC output (receiver, most likely). Then hook PC to a receiver (HDMI or optical TOSlink, ideally), hook speakers to receiver.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Just bought this house and move in at the end of August. Thinking about where in the basement to setup my home theater. I have a 65" OLED, Denon X1400, 7.1 speakers, and a left-side sectional couch. I'd like to check out doing two ceiling speakers. Here are some thoughts and questions I have, thanks!

TV stuff
- Not interested in putting the TV too high up on the wall like the previous owners did
- All the windows will be rough on the OLED
- Potential TV locations
- where that 4x4 brown shelf is - bright? kind of lose that sliding door, would move table over to other side of room
- the wall to the right of their TV (behind that is a staircase up, also the furnace space) - could impede access to the room behind that fireplace
- where that 2x4 shelf is - kind of inefficient use of room, that pillar is stupid
- There are some cables going through the wall in that fireplace but not sure where they all terminate or how I could reuse

Audio stuff
- Speaker placement advice? Requires picking a TV spot too
- This big square room seems like a nightmare for speakers especially the wiring, I've never put stuff in the wall before
- Don't know how the ceiling joists are positioned off the top of my head which I hear could impact having ceiling speakers
- Should I do ceiling speakers? Any specific speaker recommendations?

Network stuff
- I want to run network cable to wherever the equipment is too, probably out of scope for this post

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I'm in the market for a new reciever/amp and I'm a bit confused. I probably just need 2.0 but 3.1 wouldn't hurt.

Looking at Onkyo's website, there is:

$499
A-9150 Integrated Stereo Amplifier
2 x 60 W/Ch @ 4 Ohms

$499
TX-8270 Network Stereo Receiver
Power Watts/Ch (8 Ohms 20-20kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 100

$499
TX-RZ730 9.2 - Channel Network A/V Receiver
Power Watts/Ch (8 Ohms 1kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 100

They all cost the same, but the stereo amp seems way under powered compared to the other two. Since they are all $499 why wouldn't I just get the 9.2 Receiver?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Clearly they're going for more audiophile stuff on the first model. Most home speakers are 8ohms so it's only 30watts.

I mean it looks great with the center knob, they have a lot of technobabble on why it's good but I'll have someone else chime in on that.

It almost certainly has a traditional huge heavy transformer and perhaps not a class d amp like most newer (in last dozen years?) does.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have an 8270 [sort of] and really like it with my fairly inefficient speakers. The app is great when it works [around 90% of the time] but the menus would be pretty annoying if you’re not planning to hook it up to a TV.

A lot of fancier gear has lower amp ratings even for similar hardware because they know their customers aren’t really shopping for max power so the focus is on fewer, “better” watts. Most casual listening situations are using under 10 watts/channel. Also,if you look at the listed specs the 730 is not measured full range, just a 1kHz test tone. The manufacturers do this to make the number seem bigger. The only way to really compare of if they’re measured 20-20k at 8 ohms. That said, unless you’re an idiot like me and buy weird speakers any of those should work for you.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So... I'm in way too small a space to fit an actual surround system so I'm looking for a soundbar. I'm not terribly concerned with audio quality. My main needs are "sounds noticeably better than my TV's tinny as hell sounding built-in speakers, which are starting to drive me insane" and "doesn't cost an assload of money".

That seems like hopefully a pretty low bar to clear. Any suggestions? Or will any old sub-$100 soundbar from Amazon be OK?

Edit: On a related note, thanks to the extremely small amount of space, I'm gonna have to place the soundbar a mere foot higher than the floor. Is this going to be high enough to adequately hear the soundbar well from the typical seated position? I assume it is but I'm not sure.

...! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are B&W DM603 S3 any good at around $600 (used)? I've been putting off getting new speakers for years finally getting sick of my lovely 5.1 system and these popped up nearby. I've no reference for this so don't really know if it's good value or I'm better off with something new.

E: I'm not a brand whore so anything goes, but in europe b&w seems to be easier to get than say Klipsch and then I've no clue about the obscure but good stuff. Mostly for rock, some classical and movies.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 19, 2020