Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’ve got some news for you, Gavbot has feelings too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I can't say gav has pleased me with his handling of the virus but honestly he's all California's got and I'd rather half a half hard response than a micro penis sized Trumpian response.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Newsom was doing really well until a bunch of other states started opening up in late May, basically everywhere but the Bay Area pointed to it and frothed at the mouth over how unfair it was that they had to stay closed when we were clearly beating this thing, and he caved to that pressure. If he'd kept a full SiP in place through June we'd probably be in a significantly better spot right now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I can't say gav has pleased me with his handling of the virus but honestly he's all California's got and I'd rather half a half hard response than a micro penis sized Trumpian response.

:dong:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Any theories as to why the Bay Area has overall had such high compliance and relatively little bellyaching about SiP as compared to other regions?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Kenning posted:

Any theories as to why the Bay Area has overall had such high compliance and relatively little bellyaching about SiP as compared to other regions?

2+ decades of PMC computer touchers already conditioned to essentially SIP by sitting in front of a computer all day, building apps to replace what used to be local economic activity in an unconscious effort to alleviate horrible working conditions, commutes, and rents caused by yawning regional inequality

SIP was always what Silicon Valley was building toward

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

Newsom was doing really well until a bunch of other states started opening up in late May, basically everywhere but the Bay Area pointed to it and frothed at the mouth over how unfair it was that they had to stay closed when we were clearly beating this thing, and he caved to that pressure. If he'd kept a full SiP in place through June we'd probably be in a significantly better spot right now.

What are his choices if the fed won't print money? California the state cannot print money right? Can the Governor put an actual legal hold on rent, mortgages and give people something with which to buy food? Would the fed let California take out a massive loan for a trillion dollars to keep the largest economy in America on hold for 18 months?

Centrist Committee posted:

PMC computer touchers already conditioned to essentially SIP by sitting in front of a computer all day, building apps

Is the 'joke' that you're using a bunch of phrases incorrectly? Like how PMC doesn't actually do the work of touching a computer or writing code, and a computer toucher isn't someone that writes code? Or is my understanding of these 3 concepts flawed?

droll fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 9, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
California could absolutely put a rent freeze in place, yes. We also already have a state program in place for getting food to seniors during the pandemic which could in theory have been expanded to others who can't afford food and can't get on food stamps or unemployment.

No the state cannot print money or borrow to cover budget shortfalls outside of some specific circumstances. They could hike taxes on the wealthy but on top of probably not flying at all with our succ dem state legislature it also probably wouldn't get money into State hands fast enough to make much of an impact.

That said I was only advocating to keeping the SiP in place for another 1-2 months. I'll recant if I'm wrong, but I don't think that would have bankrupted the state. As things stand we're probably going to end up even worse off in the long run if we keep up this cycle of browning out and having to shut back down vs just biting the bullet and shutting down for 3-4 months to get this loving virus under control at least locally.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenning posted:

:gaysper:

droll posted:

Is the 'joke' that you're using a bunch of phrases incorrectly? Like how PMC doesn't actually do the work of touching a computer or writing code, and a computer toucher isn't someone that writes code? Or is my understanding of these 3 concepts flawed?

Computer touchers are anyone that touch computers for a living, from IT to software development. Cushy white-collar office jobs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Iono, could it be maybe that in addition to tech the absolutely bonkers cost of living meant people did not need to choose eating over health and were able to just postmates and amazon anything they needed?.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:gaysper:

Computer touchers are anyone that touch computers for a living, from IT to software development. Cushy white-collar office jobs.

Gotcha. And PMC to you means a worker that works in an office vs. say a worker that works on a construction site; the type of labor. To me PMC means the middle managers at all of my past and present office jobs that don't do anything except go to meetings to decide what I will be working on for them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, no one was going to Target or the grocery store anyways and a ton of jobs were already WFH

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

droll posted:

Gotcha. And PMC to you means a worker that works in an office vs. say a worker that works on a construction site; the type of labor. To me PMC means the middle managers at all of my past and present office jobs that don't do anything except go to meetings to decide what I will be working on for them.

I have no idea what PMC means sorry

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Software is only like 15% of the bay area's employment. But another huge chunk is hospitality, and tourism shut down completely. Another big chunk is biotech; they understand health and safety protocols well. Another is banking: they can all easily work from home. Another is education: all our colleges shut down.

But I don't think the employment sectors are the whole story. A big part of it I think is that the decisions to shut down, and when, and how, are by law in the hands of the county health supervisors, and not in the hands of mayors. So there's been less political calculations going into those decisions than we've seen in many other regions around the country.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

The no masks thing is a Freedom Fries fight the terrorists CHUD reflex, we simply have different kinds of lunatics.

droll posted:

Only a computer toucher would say this.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

droll posted:

PMC was originally proposed as "includ[ing] such groups as scientists, engineers, teachers, social workers, writers, accountants, lower- and middle-level managers and administrators, etc." It's basically any educated professional knowledge worker.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

acksplode posted:

PMC was originally proposed as "includ[ing] such groups as scientists, engineers, teachers, social workers, writers, accountants, lower- and middle-level managers and administrators, etc." It's basically any educated professional knowledge worker.

"professional middle class"?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Professional-managerial class. Basically workers whose productive output is a more efficient capitalism.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"professional middle class"?

Professional Managerial Class

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
OK got it so some Computer Touchers are not PMC (like the ones that google something for the PMC to make their laptop work again). Or is the helpdesk worker making $20 an hour also PMC? Might help me understand if someone can draw up a flowchart that utilizes simpsons memes

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol at all the silly people who think the Bay Area is entirely populated by rich sheltered computer touchers

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rah! posted:

lol at all the silly people who think the Bay Area is entirely populated by rich sheltered computer touchers

Oakland isn't in the bay area I guess because tech companies refuse to hire black people soooo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sydin posted:

People were already calling him adolf hitler, Gav's a politican regardless of any action he does. He does good poo poo, but he definitely feels political constraints just like anyone else. So he wavered, and honestly mentally I was convincing myself this thing was over while reading the contrary every loving day. It was hard to not force yourself to believe you could escape the lockdown.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

droll posted:

OK got it so some Computer Touchers are not PMC (like the ones that google something for the PMC to make their laptop work again). Or is the helpdesk worker making $20 an hour also PMC? Might help me understand if someone can draw up a flowchart that utilizes simpsons memes

computer touchers probably fall under the umbrella of pmc as it was originally conceived. the concept is older than this but "pmc" itself was coined in the 70's:

Barbara and John Ehrenreich. 'The Professional-Managerial Class.' Radical America, March-April 1977" posted:

We will argue that the "middle class" category of workers which has concerned Marxist analysts for the last two decades -- the technical workers, managerial workers, "cultural" producers, etc. -- must be understood as comprising a distinct class in monopoly capitalist society. The Professional-Managerial Class ("PMC"), as we will define it, cannot be considered a stratum of a broader "class"
of "workers" because it exists in an objectively antagonistic relationship to another class of wage earners (whom we shall simply call the "working class"). Nor can it be considered to be a "residual" class like the petty bourgeoisie; it is a formation specific to the monopoly stage of capitalism. It is only in the light of this analysis, we believe, that it is possible to understand the role of technical, professional and managerial workers in advanced capitalist society and in the radical movements."

We define the Professional-Managerial Class as consisting of salaried mental workers who do not own the means of production and whose major function in the social division of labor may be described broadly as the reproduction of capitalist culture and capitalist class relations.

Their role in the process of reproduction may be more or less explicit, as with workers who are directly conderned with social control or with the production and propagation of ideology (e.g., teachers, social workers, psychologists, entertainers, writers of advertising copy and TV scripts, etc.). Or it may be hidden within the process of production, as is the case with the middle-level administrators and managers, engineers, and other technical workers whose functions, as Gorz, Steve Marglin, Harry Braverman and others have argued, are essentially determined by the need to preserve capitalist relations of production. Thus we assert that these occupational groups -- cultural workers, managers, engineers and scientists, etc. --- share a common function in the broad social division of labor and a common relation to the economic foundations of society.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Never forget that Gavbot is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Gettys. Sure, he's on the liberal end of the spectrum (and for a billionaire family, so are they, mostly) and Newsom has done some legit good things, and deserves credit for that. But he's never, ever going to be the guy we want him to be, because he's Money, he comes from Money, he's in the pocket of Money. And he's inextricably tied to the Democratic party, to boot.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/2019/01/gavin-newsoms-keeping-it-all-in-the-family/

He might be the most liberal person displayed on this chart, but he's still deeply, deeply embedded in it and will never be outside of it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leperflesh posted:

Never forget that Gavbot is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Gettys. Sure, he's on the liberal end of the spectrum (and for a billionaire family, so are they, mostly) and Newsom has done some legit good things, and deserves credit for that. But he's never, ever going to be the guy we want him to be, because he's Money, he comes from Money, he's in the pocket of Money. And he's inextricably tied to the Democratic party, to boot.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/2019/01/gavin-newsoms-keeping-it-all-in-the-family/

He might be the most liberal person displayed on this chart, but he's still deeply, deeply embedded in it and will never be outside of it.

Huh. Never knew that.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I recall Gavin took all the mean comments about wine caves personally because hey he owns a wine cave and he's just a regular guy like anybody else!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I wonder if Brown would have been more forceful with this stuff instead of leaving it up to individual counties?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I recall Gavin took all the mean comments about wine caves personally because hey he owns a wine cave and he's just a regular guy like anybody else!

Yup, PlumpJack Winery. One of the Gettys, Gordon, is a big opera fan, he wrote an (extremely bad and lovely) opera I had to sit through once about Plump Jack, and they slap the PlumpJack label onto all of their luxury brand poo poo, it's like discount and/or superior label to the Trump label.

quote:

Before the inception of PlumpJack Estate Winery, there was just a humble wine store, opened in 1992 in the Fillmore neighborhood of San Francisco, called PlumpJack Wines. Based on a mutual love and passion for wine, California Governor Gavin Newsom and composer/philanthropist Gordon Getty opened the wine store with a mission of creating an approachable environment for people to learn about and purchase wine.

Newsom and Getty were inspired by one of Shakespeare’s most memorable characters, Sir John “PlumpJack” Falstaff. A down-to-earth, fun-loving, irreverent character, rivaled only by his fierce loyalty to Prince Hal (Henry V), with whom he shares more than a few goblets of sack (wine) at the local tavern. With this philosophy in mind and an opportunity to create their own winery, Newsom and Getty acquired a century-old 42-acre vineyard in the Napa Valley.

https://plumpjacksquawvalleyinn.com/

Squaw Valley was built up for the 1960 winter olympics, it's a luxury type resort place, and the PlumpJack Inn there is another joint Newsom/Getty venture. It's like 100 yards from the ski lifts and stuff, quite swanky.

Gavin Newsom has never experienced anything in his life that wasn't sumptuously luxurious and padded by literal billions of dollars. He's the publicly accessible, handsome, charismatic face of a secretive private billionaire family, who just happens to have taken measure of the wind in California and understood that success would mean alignment with the Democratic party and liberal causes.

I'd rather have him than any Republican; and he is, and will be, far more effective than many of the more liberal (and not wealthy) options I might generally prefer, both because of his experience and especially because of his connections. But we must never lose sight of the fact that he's got an ultra-wealthy family standing behind the curtains pulling his levers.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Complaining on the forums changes things. Just got word last night they're not re-opening the school.

The people that do are going to be horrified at what happens, btw. The case count is going to skyrocket, and the kids are going to end up home anyway when all the teachers are legit out sick or burning their accumulated sick leave to avoid coming in.

Did you watch the RUSD Board of Ed meeting last night? I watched the whole thing from 4:30pm till right before midnight (lol, what the heck is wrong with me), and that is not what they decided. They confirmed staff should start preparing homeschooling and virtual class setups, and asked the task force to create an in-person hybrid plan. The task force spokesman was very clear that a hybrid option would still involve in-person teaching with teachers being present all 5 days but different students showing up on different days. It's a weak decision from a Board of Ed that didn't want to look like they were opening the schools but also did not want to go full virtual. It also does not solve the issues of parents still needing to send children to childcare (so they're still going to jammed in with other kids) nor does it keep teachers out of the classroom. If you watched the meeting and saw something different then let me know.

Thankfully I enrolled the girls in private schools before that meeting as I now suspect those are going to fill up fast, since there isn't any other 5 day options for parents. I honestly feel bad for the children that are going to be even farther behind their peers scholasticly after this.

EDIT: I recall you living in Riverside, but if you're talking about a different district then feel free to ignore my post.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Oakland isn't in the bay area I guess because tech companies refuse to hire black people soooo

lol Oakland isn't the only place in the Bay Area with working class people and minorities

even the big bad neoliberal pelosi fortress of SF and the tech nazi exclusion zone of SJ, are full of poor people and non-white people and non-computer touchers. or maybe thats just what zuck wants me 2 think :vince:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: I recall you living in Riverside, but if you're talking about a different district then feel free to ignore my post.

I am not talking about RUSD, and your private school is going to end up closed within 4 weeks of the year starting.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I don't know why anyone would think that Plumpjack is a good name for a company.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rah! posted:

lol Oakland isn't the only place in the Bay Area with working class people and minorities

even the big bad neoliberal pelosi fortress of SF and the tech nazi exclusion zone of SJ, are full of poor people and non-white people and non-computer touchers. or maybe thats just what zuck wants me 2 think :vince:

Oh I know that, but Oakland was the most glaringly obvious problem with the "bay area is all white hipster techbros" line.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Leperflesh posted:

Software is only like 15% of the bay area's employment. But another huge chunk is hospitality, and tourism shut down completely. Another big chunk is biotech; they understand health and safety protocols well. Another is banking: they can all easily work from home. Another is education: all our colleges shut down.

I work for a biotech. If anyone wants some anecdotal evidence: we shut down hard, from 14,000 to just enough people on campus to maintain production lines, QC, and labs in phase II trials (about 600-650 people). Everyone else including contractors are WFH and getting paid even if they can't do real work from home. That's a substantial sum of money on idle payroll, and multinational megacorps don't do that unless the poo poo is actually hitting the fan.It's worth it to keep the workforce together for when normal happens again, but it's huge piles of cash.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Oh I know that, but Oakland was the most glaringly obvious problem with the "bay area is all white hipster techbros" line.

Richmond.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

mllaneza posted:

I work for a biotech. If anyone wants some anecdotal evidence: we shut down hard, from 14,000 to just enough people on campus to maintain production lines, QC, and labs in phase II trials (about 600-650 people). Everyone else including contractors are WFH and getting paid even if they can't do real work from home. That's a substantial sum of money on idle payroll, and multinational megacorps don't do that unless the poo poo is actually hitting the fan.It's worth it to keep the workforce together for when normal happens again, but it's huge piles of cash.

I'm in a similar situation. We are cautiously opening up (~50% of workforce stays home on any day, adjacent cubicles empty, etc.), with temperature screenings, constant cleaning of surfaces, etc. Employees are encouraged to wfh if able (I work in a lab, so I need to go in ~50% of the time to do my job.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Richmond, incidentally, is extremely cool. I lived there for like 7 years, and I wish my job wasn't location-specific, or I would still live there. Extremely vibrant working class town. The sort you don't expect to still exist in the Bay.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

east palo alto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Bodhidharma posted:

I don't know why anyone would think that Plumpjack is a good name for a company.

Well, it seems to be working for them. Though I agree, they should have just gone with 'Falstaff' as a cooler name.