Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hellioning posted:

Felix is probably the best written non-lord character in this game.

Blue hair, dead parents, important family, wields a sword.

He's the best written non-Lord because he's a Lord in disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hellioning posted:

Felix is probably the best written non-lord character in this game.

I'd put him below Dorothea, Hubert, and Shamir but he's definitely up there.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ever since the FEH summer reveal there's been a bunch of new art of the characters they chose in their outfits (Ingrid, Sylvain, Byleth, Rhea, Dorothea, Lorentz) and a bunch more characters who weren't picked, and while most are just opportunities to draw titties (including the original art honestly) I do like that apparently everyone drawing fan art has agreed that Edelgard doesn't know how to swim, which leads to really cute pictures like this:

https://twitter.com/Oneirio/status/1281284267436204032

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Edelgard would never use an Immaculate One floatie. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DC Murderverse posted:

ever since the FEH summer reveal there's been a bunch of new art of the characters they chose in their outfits (Ingrid, Sylvain, Byleth, Rhea, Dorothea, Lorentz) and a bunch more characters who weren't picked, and while most are just opportunities to draw titties (including the original art honestly) I do like that apparently everyone drawing fan art has agreed that Edelgard doesn't know how to swim, which leads to really cute pictures like this:

Well that part is canonical. She cannot swim. IIRC it's in her Bernie supports.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Eimi posted:

Well that part is canonical. She cannot swim. IIRC it's in her Bernie supports.

lol I guess that's what I get for not doing a CF run

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ScruffyTurtles/status/1281076055965655042

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

So, I've been missing out by ignoring Hanneman all three playthroughs?

Just discovered yesterday that if you don't recruit Hanneman and Manuela, they appear as Church units in the invasion of the Monastery. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AlternateNu posted:

Just discovered yesterday that if you don't recruit Hanneman and Manuela, they appear as Church units in the invasion of the Monastery. :v:

Yeah, Hanneman rules and has some good supports.

He's uh, pretty bad as a unit since he has Dedue tier speed though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

They also appear in a paralogue in Azure Moon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Harrow posted:

Yeah Felix is great, both as a character and in battle (where he's one of the strongest characters in the game)

I had to do a double take when I read his passive because it is bonkers, especially in the early game.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

AlternateNu posted:

I had to do a double take when I read his passive because it is bonkers, especially in the early game.

It feels more like a trap to me as battalions hit +3 mt super early game and just go up from there, while also adding defensive stats and gambits. I've been getting everyone to C in authority and it has been good.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sometimes I see 3 stars next to a stat when I go to train it. What does it signify?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Yeah Felix's trait feels like garbage anywhere past early game. Even without +5 mt, many of the batallions give defense/resistance as well which helps a lot.

Also my entire team is getting spd screwed so I might end up rolling with just Byleth or something. Friggin' Dimitri is at 9 spd at level 15. It's not a huge deal since the statues seem to give huge xp gains but drat. I want to double something please.

Shadow225 posted:

Sometimes I see 3 stars next to a stat when I go to train it. What does it signify?

If you tutor that student in that stat 12 times (4 for each star), it will change from a bad red arrow (decreased stat gain) to a good blue arrow (increasing stat gain) and they'll get a special ability from it. It's only worth it in some cases but it can be useful.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 10, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also the stat turns into a strength, which a few students really appreciate (Dorathea really likes having Faith magic being turned from a weakness to a strength). A lot of the skills you get with them can be eh (I think one is Seal Movement lol) so maybe just look up which ones are okay on Serenes Forest since it’s always super light on plot spoilers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's worth noting that units with hidden talents tend to actually not be very good in whatever skill it is. like for example felix has a talent in reason but his spell list is exactly two spells long. similarly people with talents in weapon skills tend to learn exactly one special weapon art with that weapon, while people with natural affinity usually learn about 2-3 on average.

not that this should hold you back from doing them,. it can still be very useful for various purposes to have a strength in that skill.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also giving Lysithia Thunderbrand and Thrysus is hilarious.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm making constance punch people and nobody can stop me

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AlternateNu posted:

His passive is excellent early when battalions are bad but it means he eventually collapses in the lategame since he either a) Doesn't have a passive or b) Doesn't have a battalion.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

My Felix started doing well, he's a monster now. Also I like how the minimum base stats for classes works; I certified Annette as an armor knight and she got +6 defense and +4 hp. Feels like a pro strat for mages to do a quick dip into axe/armor to get the free stats.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Is there any way to quickly see whether my units are ahead or behind the curve stat-wise? I have the impression that my Edelgard and Ferdinand have had really good level ups since they barely take physical damage and dish out a ton in return + have good speed, but I'm not sure if that's just confirmation bias or whether they're ahead of where they should be at level 20.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Is there any way to quickly see whether my units are ahead or behind the curve stat-wise? I have the impression that my Edelgard and Ferdinand have had really good level ups since they barely take physical damage and dish out a ton in return + have good speed, but I'm not sure if that's just confirmation bias or whether they're ahead of where they should be at level 20.

Serenes Forest used to to that for older games but they stopped making them with Awakening (and they don’t even have the total class + character growths for Fates/Echoes which kinda sucks) but the general rule is that if your guys match the enemy’s level and curb stomp them that they’re pretty goddamn good.

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/growth-rates/

These are the growth rates so you can just punch in the numbers, add them to their base stats (https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/base-stats/) and see if you’re really curious. (Also classes affect growths but the basic/intermediate ones only have a slight impact). Edelgard’s base strength is stupidly high though so her hitting like a bulldozer is the rule rather than the exception.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks, I was afraid I'd have to do that. Can you easily see which stats will be raised to the class minimum when switching classes?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that's what the retired teacher in the Abyss is supposed to be for, but I have no idea how the parse his output except that he's super impressed when I've used stat boosters to shore up character's weak spots.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks, I was afraid I'd have to do that. Can you easily see which stats will be raised to the class minimum when switching classes?

From my quick googling, you need to manually check. After doing a cursory check on my own run, it mostly seems like mages getting def from armor knight classes and armor knights getting res from mage/priest classes are the big obvious gains, along with shoring up mag and str on any ambitious hybrids.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mercedes/Caspar paralogue on Maddening: turns out it's kinda tough!

On my first try I actually hosed up enough that I ran out of divine pulse charges and had to actually reset but I got it eventually, even if it meant staying up way too late

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

you could spend a lot of effort doing this, but why? if your units are blowing the enemies up, then they're good. if they aren't, then they're bad. everyone in 3h has good enough growth rates that they could turn out amazing with just a bit of luck, so there's really no need to go delving further into exactly what probability it was that your edel got super stronk.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's mostly out of curiosity, but also I'm playing on hard mode and the DLC paralogues are kicking my rear end even though I'm overleveled a bit and blazing through the non-DLC paralogues and story missions. Balthus' paralogue says it's recommended for level 13 and up but my level 15 team got its rear end kicked and I scraped by with my level 20 team when trying again later. So I'm wondering if I'm like, in front of the curve for level 20 and the DLC paralogues are just designed to be hard even then, or whether I got a bunch of good levels on some characters and bad levels on others, etc.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Deltasquid posted:

It's mostly out of curiosity, but also I'm playing on hard mode and the DLC paralogues are kicking my rear end even though I'm overleveled a bit and blazing through the non-DLC paralogues and story missions. Balthus' paralogue says it's recommended for level 13 and up but my level 15 team got its rear end kicked and I scraped by with my level 20 team when trying again later. So I'm wondering if I'm like, in front of the curve for level 20 and the DLC paralogues are just designed to be hard even then, or whether I got a bunch of good levels on some characters and bad levels on others, etc.

Tangent question, are those level recommendations dependent on difficulty level and/or NG+ status? (I'm guessing not.)

But if this is not a NG+ run (or you're not using renown to get early skills/weapon levels), I can see it still having a tough time on hard.

That said, I'm in the middle of AM, chapter 17, and lol that they give you basically the same Valley -> Bridge -> E&L series of battles as every other non-CF route. I swear, if they don't give me the opportunity to take back Firdiad and shank Cornelia, I'm going to be mad.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Deltasquid posted:

The DLC paralogues are insanely hard, yeah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's hosed up that Ignatz is my favorite unit on Verdant Wind Maddening

This kid turned out incredible this run. Just a crit machine one-rounding everything he sees with Hunter's Volley. What an amazing Sniper. I'm gonna miss this Ignatz when I finish this run.

Also I have Byleth as a War Master regularly reaching 100% crit rate with a Wo Dao+ so that's pretty fun too

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 11, 2020

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm loving the support conversations on my first playthrough of this game.

It's hilarious though how characters will call each other out and insult each other, and then when the dialogue is finished, I get a "Doodly-doo! Support level increased to level C!" or whatever.

Is there any point to unlocking multiple classes on the same level for a character? Or am I better off just focusing them on one class until they can get to a higher level class?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inu posted:

Is there any point to unlocking multiple classes on the same level for a character? Or am I better off just focusing them on one class until they can get to a higher level class?

It really depends on if you plan on taking the time to master classes for their abilities. Some of them are pretty useful (Brigand, Mage, and Pegasus Knight all have great master abilities, for example), but it can also take a while to master classes, especially on your first playthrough.

If I remember correctly, I didn't bother on my first Hard/Classic playthrough. I just picked one class per tier for each character and promoted every 10 levels and did just fine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Manuela is one of my favorites. She’s a bit crap as a unit because her proficiencies all kinda don’t lead into one another. But I really like her supports with everyone she has supports with

Between her and Persona 5 is “hot teacher who’s life is a mess” a trope now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manuela's proficiencies do line up pretty well with Trickster, weirdly. Maybe I'll try that and actually use her one of these runs :v:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
After not playing for a long time after beating Cindered Flower I picked this back up again and messed up my Blue Lion run by forgetting to do the White Heron and had no saves before it, which means I have never played this game with a dancer because on CF I made Flaynn my dancer. Oops!

I got so triggered I immediately started over with Golden Deer but was still pretty salty as I recruited Hilda and she was a complete wrecking ball

Upshot is, Hilda is even MORE of a wmd this time and whenever she kills something and shouts her name I too am shouting HilDA HilDA

I wish Golden Deer people weren't so boring though.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Harrow posted:

Manuela's proficiencies do line up pretty well with Trickster, weirdly. Maybe I'll try that and actually use her one of these runs :v:

I did that my CF run and it worked pretty well. It helped she rose to necessity of my limited recruitment gimmick and got good levels. But! If you want to talk Tricksters, let me tell you about Dorothea with the sword and white magic avoid abilities...

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I’m still working on making Constance a war monk because she currently lacks the proficiencies for it, but mystic blow seems to stack with fiendish blow, magic +2 and brawling prowess so she oneshots most enemies with mystic blow. It’s ridiculous

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Its Rinaldo posted:

After not playing for a long time after beating Cindered Flower I picked this back up again and messed up my Blue Lion run by forgetting to do the White Heron and had no saves before it, which means I have never played this game with a dancer because on CF I made Flaynn my dancer. Oops!

I got so triggered I immediately started over with Golden Deer but was still pretty salty as I recruited Hilda and she was a complete wrecking ball

Upshot is, Hilda is even MORE of a wmd this time and whenever she kills something and shouts her name I too am shouting HilDA HilDA

I wish Golden Deer people weren't so boring though.

Hilda does have some of the best victory quotes in the game.

*She just gets finished axing a dude to death.* "Uhg. You're making me all sweaty!"

As for Manuela, I used her a lot in my first playthrough because I was dumb and completely ignored the recruiting mechanic. So, I needed bodies. She ended up my most diverse character. By the end, she ended up mastering Mage, Priest, Thief, and Bishop, and spent time as a Swordmaster and Mortal Savant. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite is adult Hapi’s “Relax. You’re dead.” It reaches my inner stoic in a way that no one else quite does.