Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Just wait until you find out about General Sekshu L. Predator

edit : worst snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Booley posted:

Yeah, this works fine as a starter but isn't designed to be one, I'd expect the starters to be at a much lower pricepoint, as $200 is a lot for someone just thinking about getting started to drop.

That is more or less my point, as the poster I originally responded to seemed disappointed that the box he purchased wasn't explicitly a "starter." I think it's a fine entry point with a second rulebook for a pair of people to split, even though it is a limited launch box rather than the starter that will carry through the whole edition. I guess you don't end up with two of the chapter approved books, and the data sheets for both sides are in the same book, but there will (presumably) shortly be new codices for Marines and Necrons.

It would be interesting to see the DI sprues mixed back in with the exclusive Indomitus sprue to make a new starter. You could easily get:

Gravis Captain
5x Intercessors
5x Hellblasters
3x Inceptor

Along with

Primaris Chaplain
Judicator
3x Bladeguard
Bladeguard Standard bearer
3x Eradicator

As a beefy starter that would encourage people to buy both new and old models to flesh out their units. 23 models makes a good half for a starter box. DI had 22 space marines, for example.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

PinheadSlim posted:

Just wait until you find out about General Sekshu L. Predator

edit : worst snipe ever

Lol I had to read it out loud twice.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lungboy posted:

Like you handwaving away your claims of being promised that everyone who wanted a copy would be able to get one as "heard it on a stream" then supplying multiple quotes of them explicitly *not* stating that everyone would be able to get a copy, but rather that they made a shitload of copies, which they did?

Fine

https://twitch.tv/649619567

1:36:34

Adam Troke: Is this limited? The answer is this is a launch box, when it's gone it's gone. This is designed for thee true fans of Warhammer 40,00 who are hyped for the new addition of the game. So umm there are lots of them, you will be able to get your hands on one if you want one, but err for a limited time. So don't delay as they won't last forever. Is that fair to say Eddie?

Eddie Eccles: Yeah that's absolutely true. You're quite right Adam. We've made lots and lots and lots of this box. It's the best box for Warhammer 40,000 that we've ever made so we've made absolutely loads, but it wont be around forever.

Which is just one of the streams where they made such a comment.

So now can we agree that flipping out over someone feeling bad for a friend, and when they are told they are acting like a dick they tell everyone to gently caress off like an aggressive prick is totally unnecessary? Good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Stephenls posted:

I'm really curious when they're going to announce that proper starter.

It is an interesting one isn't it.

I think starting with what, the sisters box way back when that had a bunch of new models and the codex, this weird 'enthusiast' splash release is here to stay.

My guess is we get a Dark Vengeance sized starter with like, half the models from Indomitus.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I'm interested in playing Imperial Guard but don't like the heads, and I want to use Pig Iron bits for the heads. But a problem I think I might run into is I think the guardsmen with plasma/melta weapons are metal, and that the head is built solidly into the model, making conversion difficult. Anyone have experience with this?

Here is the conversion I want:

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Starting to think maybe having the next edition prerelease + a bunch of new and good models for the games most popular army + updating a classic army all in a single limited edition box may not have been the best idea

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kitchner posted:

Fine

https://twitch.tv/649619567

1:36:34

Adam Troke: Is this limited? The answer is this is a launch box, when it's gone it's gone. This is designed for thee true fans of Warhammer 40,00 who are hyped for the new addition of the game. So umm there are lots of them, you will be able to get your hands on one if you want one, but err for a limited time. So don't delay as they won't last forever. Is that fair to say Eddie?

Eddie Eccles: Yeah that's absolutely true. You're quite right Adam. We've made lots and lots and lots of this box. It's the best box for Warhammer 40,000 that we've ever made so we've made absolutely loads, but it wont be around forever.

Which is just one of the streams where they made such a comment.

So now can we agree that flipping out over someone feeling bad for a friend, and when they are told they are acting like a dick they tell everyone to gently caress off like an aggressive prick is totally unnecessary? Good.

Fifteen minutes is technically a limited time in which it is possible to want something.

Yeast posted:

It is an interesting one isn't it.

I think starting with what, the sisters box way back when that had a bunch of new models and the codex, this weird 'enthusiast' splash release is here to stay.

My guess is we get a Dark Vengeance sized starter with like, half the models from Indomitus.

I'm guessing it'll be closer to Know No Fear sized -- that is, about the size of a Start Collecting box. Put in the two big sprues from Indomitus, about another sprue worth of troops, and a magazine-sized rulebook.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 12, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I'm interested in playing Imperial Guard but don't like the heads, and I want to use Pig Iron bits for the heads. But a problem I think I might run into is I think the guardsmen with plasma/melta weapons are metal, and that the head is built solidly into the model, making conversion difficult. Anyone have experience with this?

The Cadian Command box has plastic melta/plasma but I think only one of each as do the Stormtroopers, there are multi-packs of Marine melta/plasma but it might look too large and it comes with hands attached.

Victoria Lamb has v.good "not-"meltas and plasmas if you're willing to go third-party, Anvil's are also ok but keep in mind they're part and parcel of their arm systems (I don't think they have them "loose").

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 12, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Plasma guns can be solved by using Grenade launcher arms and space marine plasma guns which can be bought as a pack, Duncan posted a tutorial that makes it look way easier than it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH0h-fA_EWE

I did it though for my AM Kill Team and they look pretty good.

Melta weapons are a bit tougher, as someone pointed out your only choices is the command squad for 1 melta gun or converting the metal model.

The other option is for £17 you can buy the Death Korp of Krieg weapon set, which comes with two plasma and two melta guns, plus two Krieg like grenade launchers and a flamer. The arms would all go to waste though.

Unless something radically changes the meltaguns aren't that commonly used, so maybe stick with the Duncan video on the conversion to get the plasma guns, but even then to be honest i think it's more common for infantry squads just to be as cheap as possible, so I wouldn't even worry about special weapons.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Warhammer 40K: New Title Pre-Ordered

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I'm not sure this proves the betrayal that you you think it does.

quote:

So don't delay as they won't last forever.

Not "sleep in for nearly an hour after opening and by the way don't fall for those fake shops that still have stock six hours later".

Omar al-Bishie posted:

The question's been answered, so I'll just add a word of warning. The Pig Iron heads will require a bit of clean up of a mold line over the head, not the worst thing in the world but it is pewter. They may also need a bit of filing down to fit neatly into the neck socket. They do look great when done though.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 12, 2020

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Omar al-Bishie posted:

The Cadian Command squad (or the Catachan Command squad if you're a ham of finer taste) have plastic plasma gun, meltagun, grenade launcher, and flamer in them. You could pick up a couple of those and make some cool officers or veterans with the other bits.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I just hope they don't squat Elysians because Victoria Lamb just came out with some loving ace not-Tallarns.

I know they will though.

:(

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm not sure this proves the betrayal that you you think it does.

Not "sleep in for nearly an hour after opening and by the way don't fall for those fake shops that still have stock six hours later".

lol if you think that saying "everyone who wants one can get one but they wont be around forever" can be reasonably interpreted as "Don't be 45 minutes late to them going on sale" then there's no hope for you buddy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Land raiders are called land raiders because they’re named after the magos Arkhan Land. I really can’t love them as much as I used to after finding that out. It’s just so dumb.

It's better than the real reason, which is that the British army used Land Rovers and that was a 2000AD level en-metaling.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I just hope they don't squat Elysians because Victoria Lamb just came out with some loving ace not-Tallarns.

I know they will though.

:(

Apparently Mad Robots released the Maraconi Warhawks recently. Or as a friend joked, the Macaroni Warhawks. :v:

I still need to get grav chutes for my Harakoni Kitbash but Anvil's won't be back in stock for what seems to be another six months at most and Mad Robot are US based so that's out of the question.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

Apparently Mad Robots released the Maraconi Warhawks recently. Or as a friend joked, the Macaroni Warhawks. :v:

I still need to get grav chutes for my Harakoni Kitbash but Anvil's won't be back in stock for what seems to be another six months at most and Mad Robot are US based so that's out of the question.

They look too up-armored to be Elysians but yeah, they'd be good Baron's Men (IIRC the Harakoni are 4+).

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Lovely Joe is not lovely and you should really not communicate with them.

The lack of boxes after promises, and they were pormises, of "loads"is just vage enough to say many but possibly not enough.

They hyped the poo poo out of this an underestimated when they should have over estimated, they're doible sets they will sell, and they are currently the only way to get each model, you can't buy those bikes etc by themselves till who knows when.

It sucks your bud couldn't land a box due to a 45 min delay as with anyone else who were a click away annit sold out.

Doesn't sound like "loads" to me.

But its GW an they will get a pass like always.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Schadenboner posted:

I just hope they don't squat Elysians

I have some bad news for you.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

thanks for the replies all. using bits from the command squad, do they have hands and arms attached? I'm not the best at the modeling aspect of this hobby so I'm trying to minimize my effort aha

edit: I mean, as in how do I go about using the command squad bits? do I replace the lasgun and keep the guardsmen arms or does the command set have arms that can hold the plasma/melta weapons that can be put on regular guardsmen?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 12, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kitchner posted:

lol if you think that saying "everyone who wants one can get one but they wont be around forever" can be reasonably interpreted as "Don't be 45 minutes late to them going on sale" then there's no hope for you buddy.

Copies were still available at least seven hours after orders opened.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It occurs to me that, technically, we ended 8E using the same Imperial Armor Indices that we started it with, aren't we?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Omar al-Bishie posted:

thanks for the replies all. using bits from the command squad, do they have hands and arms attached? I'm not the best at the modeling aspect of this hobby so I'm trying to minimize my effort aha

edit: I mean, as in how do I go about using the command squad bits? do I replace the lasgun and keep the guardsmen arms or does the command set have arms that can hold the plasma/melta weapons that can be put on regular guardsmen?

From what I remember the arms are attached to the guns, you literally stick it onto the body, and the command squad comes with 5 bodies, legs, and heads. It's basically 5 dudes. If you ever have more than maybe 2 plasma and meltaguns though it will get expensive fast, so much so i'd actually get the krieg set from FW instead.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kitchner posted:

From what I remember the arms are attached to the guns, you literally stick it onto the body, and the command squad comes with 5 bodies, legs, and heads. It's basically 5 dudes. If you ever have more than maybe 2 plasma and meltaguns though it will get expensive fast, so much so i'd actually get the krieg set from FW instead.

If they're already doing Pig Iron (and therefore aren't dependent on 100% GW) I'd really suggest they look at Victoria Lamb's melta/plasmas, way way cheaper (5 guns for like USD 4) and aesthetically v.similar.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished off a Doomsday Ark!

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

For_Great_Justice posted:

Lovely Joe is not lovely and you should really not communicate with them.

The lack of boxes after promises, and they were pormises, of "loads"is just vage enough to say many but possibly not enough.

They hyped the poo poo out of this an underestimated when they should have over estimated, they're doible sets they will sell, and they are currently the only way to get each model, you can't buy those bikes etc by themselves till who knows when.

It sucks your bud couldn't land a box due to a 45 min delay as with anyone else who were a click away annit sold out.

Doesn't sound like "loads" to me.

But its GW an they will get a pass like always.

They made hundreds of thousands of boxes of Indomitus. It's the largest single print run they've ever done. It's likely that this box alone outsold every single non-GW tabletop company combined this year, excepting D&D and Magic. Making these box sets has a lead time of several months for production and they had to shut down their factory for a couple of months due to a global pandemic, otherwise there would probably be even more.

You can even still find boxes if you look around and hit up FLGS that aren't in major cities or do a ton of online business. Yes, it sucks they underestimated demand. But the actual models will be repackaged into start collecting boxes or a starter box before the end of the year, and probably within the next couple of months. Literally the only thing people are missing out on by not getting the Indomitus box is a textless cover version of the rulebook.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

It's better than the real reason, which is that the British army used Land Rovers and that was a 2000AD level en-metaling.

I thought the real reason was that it was an off the cuff joke about Land Speeders being called that, despite flying, that just sort of took on a life of its own.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why was this set in such high demand, anyways?

Asking for a friend who couldn't be less interested in Marines / Crons 🙃

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

what's better for shoota boy orkz, death skulls kulture or bad moons?

e: bad moons seem like rerolling 1s would be most effective, I'm not sure why only being able to reroll on e thing for death skulls is so highly rated in the goonhammer article, maybe I'm not understanding it?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 12, 2020

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Preem Palver posted:

They made hundreds of thousands of boxes of Indomitus. It's the largest single print run they've ever done. It's likely that this box alone outsold every single non-GW tabletop company combined this year, excepting D&D and Magic. Making these box sets has a lead time of several months for production and they had to shut down their factory for a couple of months due to a global pandemic, otherwise there would probably be even more.

You can even still find boxes if you look around and hit up FLGS that aren't in major cities or do a ton of online business. Yes, it sucks they underestimated demand. But the actual models will be repackaged into start collecting boxes or a starter box before the end of the year, and probably within the next couple of months. Literally the only thing people are missing out on by not getting the Indomitus box is a textless cover version of the rulebook.

Yes it take time but set realistic goals. Do a "limited sets we cannot garuntee how long they'll last!" rather than plenty.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

That is more or less my point, as the poster I originally responded to seemed disappointed that the box he purchased wasn't explicitly a "starter." I think it's a fine entry point with a second rulebook for a pair of people to split, even though it is a limited launch box rather than the starter that will carry through the whole edition. I guess you don't end up with two of the chapter approved books, and the data sheets for both sides are in the same book, but there will (presumably) shortly be new codices for Marines and Necrons.

It would be interesting to see the DI sprues mixed back in with the exclusive Indomitus sprue to make a new starter. You could easily get:

Gravis Captain
5x Intercessors
5x Hellblasters
3x Inceptor

Along with

Primaris Chaplain
Judicator
3x Bladeguard
Bladeguard Standard bearer
3x Eradicator

As a beefy starter that would encourage people to buy both new and old models to flesh out their units. 23 models makes a good half for a starter box. DI had 22 space marines, for example.

I haven't even started collecting yet (aside from this freebie Intercessor that the GW shop gave me) but I'm here for every time someone gets Judiciar incorrect

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sab669 posted:

We're all hobby idiots.

Yes it take time but set realistic goals. Do a "limited sets we cannot garuntee how long they'll last!" rather than plenty.

That is exactly what they did. Keep up, Dear.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Or maybe don't sell big, high discount/highly publicized releases as limited run box sets

They don't have to sell them forever but maybe making it a limited run was a bad and abitrary idea in the first place

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sab669 posted:

It's a really good value for money. For less than two Start Collecting boxes you get two upsized forces and the rulebook.

It's also all new models that will probably take months to appear separately.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Or maybe don't sell big, high discount/highly publicized releases as limited run box sets

They don't have to sell them forever but maybe making it a limited run was a bad and abitrary idea in the first place

Limited means everyone, especially scalpers will scoopmitnup "just in case". It went bad an hopefully they don't repeat it for 9ths official drop an starter sets.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

It's a really good value for money. For less than two Start Collecting boxes you get two upsized forces and the rulebook.

Several of the DI/KNF models still aren't available outside of those boxed sets.

:sigh:

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Eej posted:

I haven't even started collecting yet (aside from this freebie Intercessor that the GW shop gave me) but I'm here for every time someone gets Judiciar incorrect

At least it is a primaris unit with a name that doesn't start with "I."

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

moths posted:

Also GW's release schedule for new models is opaque, with unpredictable omissions. Suppressors made their debut in Shadowspear in March of 2019. They still don't have a stand alone box. Then on top of that, some countries get hit with long term stocking gaps, so even when they are released, actually getting a box may still not be possible. In short, if you miss out on a release, you may be in for a long wait.

With respect to today, I'm not sure if seven hours was a troll or something, but here it was out of stock here by about 30 minutes - tough to be precise because the website was a basket case.
It would be great if GW would make another run, but my sense is that they rarely have that flexibility because they've already got the next dozen something releases planned and in queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Technically they were, in fact, still in stock 7 hours later, because that is the time difference between 10AM UK time and 10AM PST (US preorder time).