Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I think the fact that the violence is against monsters instead of people makes a big difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The goofy tone also helps. You can almost hear the demons going "aw, beans" when they get grabbed in a glory kill.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Doom 2016 is one of my favorite pinnacle FPS games yeah. Doomguy has so much character despite never speaking one word, it’s great.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
In the MegaMan ZX games you can slice large pickups to turn them into a number of smaller pickups of various types, so an unneeded weapon pickup can turn into two smaller weapon pickups, a small health pickup and also money, IIRC.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ashsaber posted:

Just started to get into Doom 2016, I'm really liking the difficulty curve so far. Only done the first three missions, but only died in combat maybe twice, though a lot of times I've been under the pressure of 1/4 health or less by the middle of a fight. Granted I am not really great at shooters, but I'm having fun.

All the weapons I've found so far are quite fun too, alternate fire modes really help weapons stand out and change up how you use them.

Finally, though the game is as violent as it is, it doesn't feel... mean? gross? I can go through zombies like health packs you need to dismember and not feel grossed out, whereas any time I try to watch a video of a modern Mortal Kombat game it makes me queasy within a couple minutes.

Really, really liking that the game basically lets you go around searching for secrets at your leisure, too, since I'm the type of idiot who needs to find eeverything.

Polygon has a video out somewhere that talks about how the inspiration for glory kills were basically equal parts slapstick, splatterstick, and heavy metal album covers. It's meant to be goofy and funny without being cruel.

The drat cacodemons gulp down the grenade loudly and make a sound like a cork being popped for god's sake.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP_1Zx79Loo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What have I done to you that you would taunt me such with things I can never have :negative:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've been playing the old Shin Megami Tensei for the SNES and apparently a good chunk of the demons are dark-aligned and will never join you. I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm playing a legitimate Japanese copy of it so the fault might probably isn't on the game but on the translation or it was mentioned in a manual I don't have, but boy did I waste a lot of time trying to recruit some of them

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Saints Row 2 is free with XBox live. There's a car that's a burger, fries, and a shake. If you drive it while holding pepper spray, the straw on the shake spews pepper spray.
:aaa:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Speaking of Saints Row, that series minus the first one is honestly really good in general.

Saints Row 2 stands out as easily the best GTA clone. It's ridiculous and over the top in all the right ways to be amazing.

Saints Row 3 is really good as well, but honestly suffers from having the absolute best set of opening missions of any game I've ever played. They're so good that, despite the introduction of some great characters, the rest of the game feels a little bit flat in comparison until the incredible end game missions.

Saints Row 4 is even more ridiculous than the previous games, and stands out to me as one of the most fun super hero games I've played. You really get a sense of how powerful you become towards the end game when you're ripping your way through entire hordes of enemies by the end game with the greatest of ease. Though, the super powered enemies were a little annoying to fight.

Gat out of Hell is interesting, but aside from the first game I think it's the weakest of the games. It's really just an expansion pack, and while they're are some good weapons that they added to the game there's not really a story tying it all together. It's more of a collection of side activities

People used to always make fun of the poop truck missions, and those are still ridiculous, but the games are honestly really fun and just ooze personality. I really enjoy the one-upsmanship in each game as well as the Saints get bigger and bigger. They're also really fun in co-op

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Speaking of Saints Row, that series minus the first one is honestly really good in general.

Saints Row 2 stands out as easily the best GTA clone. It's ridiculous and over the top in all the right ways to be amazing.

Saints Row 3 is really good as well, but honestly suffers from having the absolute best set of opening missions of any game I've ever played. They're so good that, despite the introduction of some great characters, the rest of the game feels a little bit flat in comparison until the incredible end game missions.

Saints Row 4 is even more ridiculous than the previous games, and stands out to me as one of the most fun super hero games I've played. You really get a sense of how powerful you become towards the end game when you're ripping your way through entire hordes of enemies by the end game with the greatest of ease. Though, the super powered enemies were a little annoying to fight.

Gat out of Hell is interesting, but aside from the first game I think it's the weakest of the games. It's really just an expansion pack, and while they're are some good weapons that they added to the game there's not really a story tying it all together. It's more of a collection of side activities

People used to always make fun of the poop truck missions, and those are still ridiculous, but the games are honestly really fun and just ooze personality. I really enjoy the one-upsmanship in each game as well as the Saints get bigger and bigger. They're also really fun in co-op

GOoH is the best one. Yeah, it's short, but it was also way cheaper than the others :shrug:. The side activities are the best bits anyway. I will say though, the price of unlocking stuff is stupidly high. You can finish everything in the game and still not even come close to accessing everything.

SR2 is the best one, except that it's barely functional and extremely dated. But if you can get past those issues it's still super fun and has the best story and characters.

SR4 is really funny and great to play once. After that, you've seen all the set pieces and heard all the jokes and the flaws stand out a lot more. The radio gets super repetitive, the wardens get in the way of the fun, there are some really tedious missions to get through and the powers and weapons just aren't that great once the novelty wears off.

SR3 improves a lot of the gameplay from 2, but the story and tone are all over the place and there are some really awful characters (eg. Zimos :barf:) and plot points. It also has the same issue as 4 where the jokes and set pieces are a chore to sit through the second time around. And it's sort of a weird halfway between 2 and 4 thing where it's not really sure what kind of game it's even trying to be. It's the only game in the series (other than the first, which I've never played) that I just wouldn't recommend at all.

The original Saints Row you can watch on YouTube and then you'll get the callbacks and references in SR4.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Have you played the Prototype games? SR4 copied the movement directly from there, and it has waaay better combat powers. Also you can surf on people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

SR3 improves a lot of the gameplay from 2, but the story and tone are all over the place and there are some really awful characters (eg. Zimos :barf:) and plot points. It also has the same issue as 4 where the jokes and set pieces are a chore to sit through the second time around. And it's sort of a weird halfway between 2 and 4 thing where it's not really sure what kind of game it's even trying to be. It's the only game in the series (other than the first, which I've never played) that I just wouldn't recommend at all.

Saints Row 3 is somewhat neutered because the developers had THQ looking over their shoulder constantly telling them to keep things to a relatively soft M/PG rating iirc.

Saints Row 4 was published by Deep Silver, who gave Volition free reign and why it's so much better.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

GOoH is the best one. Yeah, it's short, but it was also way cheaper than the others :shrug:. The side activities are the best bits anyway. I will say though, the price of unlocking stuff is stupidly high. You can finish everything in the game and still not even come close to accessing everything.

SR2 is the best one, except that it's barely functional and extremely dated. But if you can get past those issues it's still super fun and has the best story and characters.

SR4 is really funny and great to play once. After that, you've seen all the set pieces and heard all the jokes and the flaws stand out a lot more. The radio gets super repetitive, the wardens get in the way of the fun, there are some really tedious missions to get through and the powers and weapons just aren't that great once the novelty wears off.

The original Saints Row you can watch on YouTube and then you'll get the callbacks and references in SR4.

Yeah it's a shame that saints row 2 is really unplayable these days on PC at the very least. They're allegedly reworking the code or something very slowly to get it playable again. Mechanics wise I don't think it's really any more dated than, say, playing San Andreas or anything like that?

I dunno, GooH was fun, but the story being kind of non-existent just didn't really gel with me for whatever reason. I totally agree though that it had a really good collection of side activities, and for the price its worth playing. And anything that includes insurance fraud can't be all bad!

Truthfully, I think the middle part of Saints Row 3 was a bit of a chore the first time. I still had fun with it, but man was the pacing uneven. I would agree though that, unless you played 2 and 4 and you're looking for more i wouldn't really push for someone to play it. If there was a way to just play the set pieces at the beginning and the end though... I honestly do think if they ironed out the pacing here and included more of those high moments the game would be fine.

I haven't played Prototype, so I dunno about that being a better implementation, but I mostly really enjoyed the fourth game. I'll totally agree though that the wardens are a huge pita, especially towards the end game. It wasn't really enough to ruin my enjoyment though.

Admittedly I've got pretty low standards for entertainment however so :shrug:

Even then, no one should subject themselves to Saints Row 1. That is one of the most boring GTA clones I've ever played

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah it's a shame that saints row 2 is really unplayable these days on PC at the very least. They're allegedly reworking the code or something very slowly to get it playable again.

2 has worked fine for like years at this point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

2 has worked fine for like years at this point.

If you mean that it runs at the correct speed now, yeah. It's still got plenty of issues (including the always frustrating menu controls that can't be changed and the very weird car handling) and is going to feel extremely awkward to play for anyone who's used to more modern games. I wouldn't say it's unplayable - I played it quite recently - but it's definitely going to be a hard sell for anyone who didn't play it back when its competition wasn't as strong.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It hasn't really aged very well in terms of general gameplay on consoles either. I mean I'm well aware that its issues on PC extend way beyond that into the realm of basic functionality, just saying it's a tough one to go back to, let alone pick up now (then again, so is GTA Vice City, for example).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

If you mean that it runs at the correct speed now, yeah. It's still got plenty of issues (including the always frustrating menu controls that can't be changed and the very weird car handling) and is going to feel extremely awkward to play for anyone who's used to more modern games. I wouldn't say it's unplayable - I played it quite recently - but it's definitely going to be a hard sell for anyone who didn't play it back when its competition wasn't as strong.

Yeah, it doesn't have VtM: Bloodlines level of issues, but in part that's more because of luck than anything; if I remember correctly it had huge bugs in Windows 7 that made it unplayable, that were fixed in Windows 8 not because of anything deliberately done, but just because that port is jank in such specific ways that something 8 changed just happened to fix it. Performance fluctuates wildly between people, too, because it's so weird about hardware, and there's a bunch of little things broken about it that you probably wouldn't notice if you didn't know they were broken in the first place.

Oh, and also right now the multiplayer is straight-up inoperable without mods. The servers they used for it are down and have been for years, because they were Gamespy.

Again, Volition did confirm late last year that they're fixing the PC port sometime this year (no ETA, I can only imagine that pandemic shenanigans slowed it down). Fixing a bunch of those performance problems, using the Steam multiplayer that I think 3 and 4 used, and adding in the DLC that never hit PC.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Nobody should be surprised by neat little details in Metal Gear games by now, but here's a bit of throwback.

In Metal Gear Solid 2, there is a few segments where Raiden has to hang down from pipes and walkways in order to proceed.
When hanging, holding L2 and R2 at the same time will make Raiden do a chin-up. If you do 100 chin-ups, Raiden's grip strength increases, and you can dangle for longer.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Saints Row 2 and GTA San Andreas are the king and queen of "open world sandbox crime game" for me. Big and varied, but not so bloated with empty space and lovely minigames to become a drag. Plus they don't take themselves so drat seriously.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

Saints Row 2 and GTA San Andreas are the king and queen of "open world sandbox crime game" for me. Big and varied, but not so bloated with empty space and lovely minigames to become a drag. Plus they don't take themselves so drat seriously.

SR2’s map is what elevates it over SR3/4 for me. Stillwater has so much more variety and character to it than Steelport does.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

Nobody should be surprised by neat little details in Metal Gear games by now, but here's a bit of throwback.

In Metal Gear Solid 2, there is a few segments where Raiden has to hang down from pipes and walkways in order to proceed.
When hanging, holding L2 and R2 at the same time will make Raiden do a chin-up. If you do 100 chin-ups, Raiden's grip strength increases, and you can dangle for longer.

Snake can do that too, and what's more, if you drop from one ledge and grab onto another one below, it counts as doing ten chin-ups, so you can 'power level' it by just dropping and regrabbing a ledge. There's a VR mission that takes advantage of that.

Related; in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, when Snake is holding onto a ledge, he's doing the same pull up animation from Metal Gear Solid 2.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

my brother

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I only played How The Saints Saved Christmas once but I remember it being quite good, one of the better over-the-top Christmas-y games out there. Short enough that it might not be fair to call it a real "game" though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

I wouldn't call that "barely functional" either, is the thing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

t-.-t posted:

Snake can do that too, and what's more, if you drop from one ledge and grab onto another one below, it counts as doing ten chin-ups, so you can 'power level' it by just dropping and regrabbing a ledge. There's a VR mission that takes advantage of that.

Related; in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, when Snake is holding onto a ledge, he's doing the same pull up animation from Metal Gear Solid 2.

and it should be pointed out that having a levelled up grip gauge is totally useless gameplay-wise as there are no scenarios where it's useful

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I wouldn't call that "barely functional" either, is the thing.

Sure, that was an exaggeration. But it's kind of like how a game that still works exactly the same as it did 30 years ago may be essentially unplayable now because people took the concept and improved on it to the point that the original now feels like it's broken. Except in this case it actually always was broken, but it was easier to overlook that back then.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Necrothatcher posted:

and it should be pointed out that having a levelled up grip gauge is totally useless gameplay-wise as there are no scenarios where it's useful

They did end up making it relevant in Twin Snakes, IIRC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something for Borderlands 3; GenIVIV's voice actor is clearly having a lot of fun doing "horny monkey" Jabber calls. I laughed like an idiot while blowing them all up because she was just so enthusiastic about it. :allears:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

christmas boots posted:

I've been playing the old Shin Megami Tensei for the SNES and apparently a good chunk of the demons are dark-aligned and will never join you. I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm playing a legitimate Japanese copy of it so the fault might probably isn't on the game but on the translation or it was mentioned in a manual I don't have, but boy did I waste a lot of time trying to recruit some of them

I don’t know if it’s mentioned anywhere, really. Just one of those things you’re supposed to realize at some point. Same with light-aligned enemies. They’re too loyal to their ideology to give a poo poo about you. I don’t remember if they even give you any dialogue options when trying to recruit them, I think they just tell you to gently caress off, more or less

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Replaying Mad Max... attacking an enemy camp when a storm hits is still as exhilarating now as the first time it happened to me. seriously awesome! especially when a group of enemies gets blown away by the winds before a fight starts. the risk of it happening to you is always there but drat the satisfaction of successfully destroying a camp during a storm is worth it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Mad Max was a really good game, and one of those that was really better than I ever expected. I liked the combat a lot, since Max is just so loving brutal with it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

John Murdoch posted:

They did end up making it relevant in Twin Snakes, IIRC.

You can really speed up the keycard temperature stuff with some climbing and hanging yeah

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Leavemywife posted:

Mad Max was a really good game, and one of those that was really better than I ever expected. I liked the combat a lot, since Max is just so loving brutal with it.

Slamming cars and them blowing up was ALWAYS badass

also i think there was a picture mode?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
When I was little, I always loved the unit portrait of the Dwarf Phalanx in Battle for Middle Earth 2 for how much his expression sticks out. I guess I still do!

"Your calvary and monsters are hosed."

William Bear has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Jul 13, 2020

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm fairly sure that there are some dog tags you can only get with a fully leveled grip. Whether or not that counts as useful is up to you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just beat Timespinner and it was pretty much perfectly paced. I did one completionist playthrough in around 6 hours, then sprinted through on NG+ to get the achievements for the alternate ending and hard difficulty in about an hour and a half. I ended up being finished with the gameplay right as I got the final achievement.

Overall it's a good one of those so check it out if you want a Castlevania where you fight with orbs instead of whips :orb:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Moon Monster posted:

I just beat Timespinner and it was pretty much perfectly paced. I did one completionist playthrough in around 6 hours, then sprinted through on NG+ to get the achievements for the alternate ending and hard difficulty in about an hour and a half. I ended up being finished with the gameplay right as I got the final achievement.

Overall it's a good one of those so check it out if you want a Castlevania where you fight with orbs instead of whips :orb:

I've been keeping an eye on that game ever since it hit my radar some time ago, but it rarely goes on sale. Never does on the Vita, anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I generally consider SR4 the best of the series- the writing is just absolutely top notch and the story missions are all incredibly creative. Arguably SR3 is where they figured out to make the story missions over the top setpieces, but I think it reaches perfection here, and Steelport is a lot more fun when you can bounce around it and run to the top of every building.

Though I will say for Steelport in SR3, it's not as varied but it has a very strong Rust Belt "there used to be industry here but now it all kinda sucks" vibe. Which kinda gives the whole game the feel of an 80s action movie.

They're all good games. SR1 even, it's basically completely redundant since 2 does everything it does and more, but the core gameplay is actually better than where the GTA games were at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Morpheus posted:

I've been keeping an eye on that game ever since it hit my radar some time ago, but it rarely goes on sale. Never does on the Vita, anyway.

it was on pc game pass for a while but i think it just left (or is just about to leave)