Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

RamboMoe posted:

You can't roll of shame 400 lbs

To be fair if you get pinned with 400 your bro doesn't have to take the time to add a plate when he finds you and calls 911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

RamboMoe posted:

I've seen a video of someone doing exactly this, can't seem to find it now unfortunately

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

RamboMoe posted:

You can, you just get petechiae bruising from your rib cage all the way to your pelvis and feel like you really need to pee constantly for a day or so

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

You can, the question is whether or not you survive it.

Something to be said for choosing an honorable death after your failure.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk

This is around 350. I've done it up into the 200s, the trick is just to roll it off fast. And no 135 doesn't hurt, lol. I could casually hold a conversation with 135 laying across my stomach. Grow some abs or a beer belly or both.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

RamboMoe posted:

found it https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2450257991710549&id=382357268500642

assuming the blue plates are 20s and the green plates are 10s that looks like 240kg

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.
Both those videos are more of a toss of shame than the classic roll, but OK, I guess you can roll of shame 400 lbs

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

doverhog posted:

Someone in the thread asked before if a blacksmith could make you plates. The answer is yes, any kind of metalworker can make plates. Ask for a quote on price.

Most of my kettlebells come direct from a local foundry.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Nothing is real so lift like your spine doesn't exist.

Bent press own zone

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Isn't it crazy how basically nothing bad can happen to your upper back

I can't think of a single common sports injury that affects the scapula or thoracic spine

Wish the rest of the body was like that

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix posted:

Isn't it crazy how basically nothing bad can happen to your upper back

I can't think of a single common sports injury that affects the scapula or thoracic spine

Wish the rest of the body was like that

Lol ask anyone who does jujitsu how’s their upper back

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ask me about my decade old, upper back trigger point from somehow screwing up a barbell row.

Also I am back to lifting after getting all my health poo poo resolved!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Does anyone have that video of the lady doing a leg press and locking her knees and the weight breaks her bones ?

Wanna send a warning to a friend about the dangers of locking your joints, he’s just starting out and I noticed he did that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Does anyone have that video of the lady doing a leg press and locking her knees and the weight breaks her bones ?

Wanna send a warning to a friend about the dangers of locking your joints, he’s just starting out and I noticed he did that
Is locking your knees slowly and with a weight that you can press from a good depth actually dangerous? I'm very skeptical when people claim that any position within your passive range of motion is inherently dangerous, almost anything can be safe when it's progressively loaded.

feelix fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 13, 2020

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

There are no set rules in the gym other than "Don't be a dumbass"

Most still fail to obey this rule

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The video you're looking for wasn't a normal leg press it was some automatic machine that didn't need weights and she didn't break anything just hyper extended the poo poo out of her knees.

There's nothing wrong with locking out your legs in a leg press.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

RamboMoe posted:

Who fails on 400 pounds?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Guyver posted:

The video you're looking for wasn't a normal leg press it was some automatic machine that didn't need weights and she didn't break anything just hyper extended the poo poo out of her knees.

There's nothing wrong with locking out your legs in a leg press.

I don’t know but it looked horrible

I‘ve avoided locking any joints and it’s worked for me for 20 years

How about a dip or a deadlift ?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Wait are you saying you don't lock your elbows on dips or knees deadlifts? What the hell? Dips are like whatever but a deadlift is a contested lift in multiple sports and it's not legal unless you lock your knees. It's definitely absolutely 100% fine to lock your knees and elbows on every single free weight lift

If you've been lifting for that long maybe you're thinking of the old school bodybuilder advice not to lock your joints but that's to maximize time under tension and it probably got misinterpreted as a safety consideration by a lot of people

feelix fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 13, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Yup, I’ve always avoided “hard locks” of all joints, where you press as far as you can go and can’t bend any further

Usually I stop a little before that, feels pretty solid and strong, and thankfully don’t have any issues in my joints so far, besides creaky knees

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I don't lock my elbows because it means doing this.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So there was a big storm here last night and it knocked over a tree onto my driveway. I casually axed the trunk (it was still half rooted) and then picked up the tree and carried it off.

I felt so strong.. so manly... SO ALIVE

What I’m trying to say is that being fit has its practical uses too, especially in emergencies. gently caress yeah

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

I don't lock my elbows because it means doing this.

Looks normal to me

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Trochanter is my street name

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RamboMoe posted:

I get out of bed every morning just fine.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I lock all my joints as hard as possible at all times

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

RamboMoe posted:

Not with that attitude

Someday with the grace of God I will turn my insides into pure foie gras as I roll myself out like a tube of Colgate

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Just lmao if you don't possess the core strength to suck your prolapsed intestines back in after rolling 400lbs off your body

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I did it!

https://youtu.be/vdVBBnWrCnc

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Nice ez lift

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fallows posted:

Nice ez lift

Pls no bully, I'm small and don't have any more plates.

E: Unless you meant that it went smoothly. Then thank you!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
you had more in you. get more plates

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Pls no bully, I'm small and don't have any more plates.

E: Unless you meant that it went smoothly. Then thank you!

I meant the second part, u look like you couldve done more like ddd said

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

If you can do it once you can do it twice.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I had forgotten a second pair of 2.5lb plates (lol) and went back and did a single of 305. I really do need another pair of 45s, if anything, just so I'm not stacking infinite plates on the bar to hit my target weight.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

you need to add like 20 lbs on that

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Made it look easy, congrats :cheers:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Also totally timing your pull to the music. Don't try to hide it.

Nice lift

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I can deadlift 440x5 no problem, but yesterday I did 340x10 figuring it wouldn't be so hard and felt like dying and got some crippling DOMS. The human body is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I miss the gym so much.