Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

While we’re on the topic of models that don’t show up in their own kits:

Plastic Obliterators. The sculpts are so good, and they actually seem decent-ish on the tabletop, but they were only available in Shadowspear (and by extension, Start Collecting Chaos Space Marines, since from what I understand that’s just the Chaos half of Shadowspear.)

Thing is, I (and I’m sure many others) didn’t want the Master of Possessions, or Greater Possessed, or the Venomcrawler. But you can’t buy Obliterators separately, and even eBay has them for ludicrous prices.

I have Obliterators now, but I honestly feel like I should have just bought the drat Start Collecting box. :gbsmith:

Yeah the new Obliterators loving own and need a multipart kit asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kitchner posted:

Nah, to be honest I lose my temper at some people in this thread as they are arseholes when I shouldn't, but it's never been a problem when dealing with people in real life. Mostly because the people here who immediately start insulting people and telling them to gently caress off when they disagree with them wouldn't dare do it in real life.

Actually, being able to tell strangers to gently caress off when they hover by your table spoiling a game is a rarely required but very necessary ham life skill. Maybe best to steer clear of "c u at Warhammerfest" style posturing online though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Kitchner posted:

Mostly because the people here who immediately start insulting people and telling them to gently caress off when they disagree with them wouldn't dare do it in real life.

Fairly sure it was you that started with the homosexual and autistic slurs dude.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for all that. I'll probably be back posting questions as I read rules and get the codex.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

jesus WEP posted:

man i kinda wish i hadn’t bought indomitus. is the 40k player base this terrible in general or

I preordered my indomitus box through the flgs so I'm just hoping it comes through (it was confirmed by the owner but given all the kerfuffle I'll believe it when it's actually in my hands)

But rest assured I am a huge rear end in a top hat, and once I'm sure I either did or didn't get one, I'll throw my entire spiteful being into one or the other side of this argument. For now I'm just updating my excel on potential allies/enemies in the coming posting war

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lungboy posted:

Fairly sure it was you that started with the homosexual and autistic slurs dude.

I never said anything of the sort, I did insult Joe though after he started insulting me and telling everyone who told him he was an rear end to gently caress off.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Kitchner posted:

I never said anything of the sort, I did insult Joe though after he started insulting me and telling everyone who told him he was an rear end to gently caress off.

Can the both of you just agree to disagree already instead of cocking up the thread with your petty bullshit? He's not going to come around to your side or feel bad for your friend, and even if he did it would do gently caress all to fix the situation. Just let it go.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mikey Purp posted:

Can the both of you just agree to disagree already instead of cocking up the thread with your petty bullshit? He's not going to come around to your side or feel bad for your friend, and even if he did it would do gently caress all to fix the situation. Just let it go.

Yeah you're right, I'll just ignore him. Sorry everyone.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

jesus WEP posted:

man i kinda wish i hadn’t bought indomitus. is the 40k player base this terrible in general or

Believe it or not this thread normally (outside of a number of very noticeable posters) is better than the majority of internet commentary on 40k.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jesus WEP posted:

Depends on who you play with.

If you're just playing with your friends, then they're as cool or as terrible as your friends are.

If you play pick up games at your local game store, then you'll see the best and worst of humanity. You can have great games, make new friends, and deepen your appreciation for the hobby. And you can also run into the local That Guy who brings a tournament list to casual games, has poor personal hygiene, cheats to win, and is a bad winner and worse loser. It's a craps shoot, I'm afraid.

If you go to tournaments, you'll discover that most events, especially the big ones, have some kind of Sportsmanship score and that if people act too much like assholes they'll lose points and compromise their ability to win. So everyone, even the assholes, are on what is for them their "best behavior."

But since tournaments are ultimately competitive, you'll also run into the most loophole exploiting, vicious combo using, abusive possible lists to play against. That's because most tournaments are judged not just on wins and losses, but by margin of victory. So it isn't enough to just win all your games. If you want to win the event, especially a big event like LVO, Adepticon, or NOVA, then you have to win every game in a curbstomp. You need to table your enemy, claim all the victory points, and hear the lamentations of the women. Which, in turn, means putting together as unfair of a list as possible. Which means that the games themselves can be not very fun....who likes getting curbstomped on the way to someone else's victory?

Which isn't to say you can't have fun, tense games at a tournament. Smaller events are less likely to have the really abusive lists present, and if you go in just trying to have fun, and recognize in advance the possibility of getting curbstomped by an unfair list as the cost of doing business, then tournaments can be quite enjoyable.

But if you're one of the alas, all too common, example of "I MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS" players, then I hope you're rich because you'll need to be to keep up with a competitive meta that changes with every new book, FAQ, and points change that GW puts out. A House Raven Castellan Knight can be the top dog king of the hill unit for a few months, then eat a points increase and the nerf of a few stratagems and suddenly be $170 (plus painting time and materials) of plastic gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, never to be seen again. Whole factions can rise and fall with each new book release and FAQ. It was amazing how may painted Iron Hands armies showed up on eBay within a week of the nerf to the Devastator Doctrine. Iron Hands are still a good army, arguably very good. But they were no longer blatantly unfair the way they had been before the nerf, so the meta-chasers dumped them for pennies on the dollar to go chase the next big thing.

Of course, then COVID Papa Nurgle showed up and killed Adepticon and every event since then, so we never found out what the next big thing was. And now 9th Edition is only a couple of weeks away, so who the gently caress knows what's going to be good now?

I know I'm looking forward to finding out, though.

tl;dr - Warhammer players can be great people who are fun to play against. They can also be terrible shitbags who are awful to play against. It's the same spectrum of people as everywhere else in life. :shrug:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Speaking as someone who missed out on the limited sisters release in a similar fashion I can understand how people might be disappointed they didn’t get the nice new box, especially those who haven’t seen how fast these sets have sold out before. But Is there any doubt that GW didn’t produce as many as they possibly could? The frustrating part for me in previous events was seeing the quantities being scalped on eBay.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tommu posted:

Believe it or not this thread normally (outside of a number of very noticeable posters) is better than the majority of internet commentary on 40k.

Yeeeaaaah, this is not wrong.

The only content I have to offer so far is a WIP shot of an old Taurox I finally got around to paint. :shobon:

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Awesome Taurox, from what I have heard it is supposed to be a great vehicle in 9th. BS 3 ect.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeeeaaaah, this is not wrong.

The only content I have to offer so far is a WIP shot of an old Taurox I finally got around to paint. :shobon:

I think you need to park this guy in a better neighborhood next time

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think you need to park this guy in a better neighborhood next time

It's in for a service job, the tires in the back are being prepped.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I don't know if people are interested, but if you're near Madison WI or willing to drive there to pick stuff up, I'm Board Games has copies of Indomitus left in their allotment to sell.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
In the way of hobby talk ignoring the box set, I've been working on how to run a fun narrative crusade thing with friends.

I think I'm going to say the crusade force has to start of 25PL (500 points) rather than the normal 50PL (1,000 points) on the basis most players are using new armies or new to the hobby, and having the extra units to tailor your list from gives an advantage.

The other thought is that you'll not get the 10 VP for having a Battle Ready army in a Combat Patrol (500pts/25PL) mission, on the basis that it let's you play straight away you can without being penalised, but there's still an incentive to paint your models if you want to play with bigger armies. It also means if you have like 600 out of 1,000 points paints and you don't want the penalty you can still play 500 points .

The only other rule then is I was going to do campaign "rounds" where we end each one with a big multiplayer narrative battle, and it's basically designed to present some part of a story of an invasion. I was thinking after the first two rounds everyone's crusade force gets a boost of its supply limit for free to bring it up to the "normal" size.

The crusade force I'm going with is (pending points increases) :

quote:

1 x Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator Armour with Daemon Hammer
1x Company Commander with a power fist
1 x Infantry Squad w/ plasma gun
1x Tempests Scions squad, Sgt with power sword, 4 Plasma Guns
3 x Armoured Sentinels (1 with lascannon, 2 with autocannons and a hunter killer missile).

If I have to drop something I suspect it will be the lascannon sentinel. The back story I have is that it's a puritan Inquisitor who has got a squad of Kasrkin and Sentinels to help search for some sort of Mcguffin, and he's been assigned a regimental sergeant major (the power fist has sergeant stripes) as a Guard liaison and they've been assigned a squad of infantry as a bodyguard.

I'm taking the opportunity to kit bash the inquisitor using the least GK looking GK Terminator bits, combined with the shoulder pads from the limited edition chaplain (he has GK ones), with a Primaris marine head with a very puritan haircut.

I'm also painting up the guard units from the three colour tournament standard they were to "parade ready". I've done the infantry squad, and made a start on the Kasrkin.

I want to do before and after photos at some point, but here's the Kasrkin Sergeant before getting a first layer of varnish and the final touches on the base etc.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 12, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
That dude is so great. How do you paint so small for the 🏅?

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

MRLOLAST posted:

Awesome Taurox, from what I have heard it is supposed to be a great vehicle in 9th. BS 3 ect.

There's a strategem in the guard PA book where if you blow a CP you can get it hitting on 2's if you move half it's movement range or less. They're probably still overcosted but if they're better in 9th I'm all for it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MRLOLAST posted:

That dude is so great. How do you paint so small for the 🏅?

Thanks! Well to tell the truth I painted that medal ages ago, and I repainted over the little aquila shape on the medal itself, now it's just a gold disc but i may go back and paint a pattern on it before the second coat of varnish.

I've been practicing my freehand a lot recently, just painting logos and stuff nothing fancy, and what I've been learning is:

1) While it's true good painters don't need really small brushes, if you're merely "OK" like I am, then small brushes help paint small detail in my opinion. I have a magnifying glass thing on my daylight lamp but I've never used it as it's all about your hand-eye coordination and fine motor control, which needs practice. A while ago I switched to Army Painter brushes and the "default" set comes with an Insane Detail brush which is fairly thin and helps a lot.

2) I sort of paint like a stencil, as I find it easier to cut down than to add. For example, to paint the Cadian symbol I don't free hand a pyramid, then freehand two pillars, then paint a dot. I paint a straight line in the middle of the shoulder pad, then paint a triangle at the top of that line (So it looks lik an arrow). Then I paint down from the end of each triangle and add a dot in the middle of the line. Then I use black to seperate the top from the pillars, paint around the dot, and knock a slanted side off each pillar. So for that medal's stripe I would bet I painted the whole thing white, then painted the red sides, then touched up the white if needed.

3) I have been thinning my paints down a lot more, to the point I'm sure if a good painter stood next to me they'd say "That's too thin". When you have a very small brush though it can't hold lots of paint unless you smash it into your wet pallette, so it's hard to gently caress up, and when you do, it's not bad to paint over as it's thin. This means you can touch up the same design multiple times and it doesn't look blobby.

4) Wet Pallettes are amazing, I was using a home made one, but I bought an everlasting one for like £30 and it's better, but not super essential.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 12, 2020

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You know what, because of my abiding respect for you as a poster and my understanding that you're too busy to read the thread, I'll summarise for you.

It's been stated that more copies will come in August once they've produced more boxes. My source for this is a shop that sold 300 copies today and promised that they have an allocation of 200 more copies in that later run. Do take that with a pinch of salt though because it's been established by Kicthner that I made it up, for reasons. Likewise, I Said Come In! linked to a UK shop that had 90 copies remaining at ten past five. Over seven hours after they first went up. Goons were buying from it, but as yet we don't know if they were crisis actors employed by Big Ham. We need to dig deeper.

Notwithstanding the disingenuous tone, I was traveling yesterday. I got to a wifi spot two minutes to spare, but it didn't work out.

Kitchner posted:

I want to do before and after photos at some point, but here's the Kasrkin Sergeant before getting a first layer of varnish and the final touches on the base etc.

This guy kicks rear end. Nicely done.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Maneck posted:

This guy kicks rear end. Nicely done.

Thanks, really weird spending so much time painting these guys, I timed myself painting a guardsman and it was like 2 hours per model, so 20 hours painting a squad worth about 40 points that will die really easily is bonkers.

Since my Guard army is all painted to tournament standard already and my friends are having to start from scratch more or less with their armies, my goal is to only field units that are "parade ready" in terms of shading, edge highlighting etc.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm sure some of the frustration stems from Coronavirus. Releasing an expensive, limited, desirable item while people are looking at the uncertain job markets and going "I would really like to buy this, but can't justify dropping $200 USD on toy soldiers right now" is not at all a nice feeling.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
The sheer intensity of this Indomitus release has had me feeling thankful that I play neither army. This is one of those instances where not being a Marine player is actively advantageous.

As it is, I haven't preordered the 9th Ed core rulebook, since I doubt there'll be any difficulty getting hold of one.

What I'm saying is that Chaos is better and that the Word Bearers won the Heresy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Trying to decide if I want to do a successor to Blood Angels, Raven Guard or Salamanders. Blood Angels are the choppiest and you get to go over the top with the angelic theme but a lot of their bread and butter are old models like Sanguinary Guard and Death Company that would need some kitbashing to look the same size as all the Primaris coming out. Raven Guard are slightly less strong in melee but their shenanigans let you get less mobile models like the Justiciar into range quickly plus they have great black and blue colour scheme options. Salamanders are green (booo) but get hilarious boosts to flamers and meltas and Eradicators are a thing now. The latter two chapters can mostly get by with just Primaris models which is handy for a newbie like me. Any suggestions?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Eej posted:

Trying to decide if I want to do a successor to Blood Angels, Raven Guard or Salamanders. Blood Angels are the choppiest and you get to go over the top with the angelic theme but a lot of their bread and butter are old models like Sanguinary Guard and Death Company that would need some kitbashing to look the same size as all the Primaris coming out. Raven Guard are slightly less strong in melee but their shenanigans let you get less mobile models like the Justiciar into range quickly plus they have great black and blue colour scheme options. Salamanders are green (booo) but get hilarious boosts to flamers and meltas and Eradicators are a thing now. The latter two chapters can mostly get by with just Primaris models which is handy for a newbie like me. Any suggestions?

What's wrong with green :colbert: ?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eej posted:

If you're doing a successor chapter, you can paint them whatever color you want. That's the joy of being a successor. For that matter, as long as you don't invest too heavily in chapter specific units (like Sanguinary Guard or Wulfen) you can even change your mind about who they're successors to on the fly. (By which I mean between games, not during one!)

Primaris are clearly the future of the line. With every release, the niche for old school Marines narrows. I'd suggest you grab some cheap intercessors and play around with paint schemes until you find one you like. Then expand on that with other Primaris stuff until you have 500-1000 points and can start playing some Crusade games. Then grow your army organically over time.

Just like you should experiment with color schemes you should also experiment with chapter rules. Play Ultramarines one game, Raven Guard the next, Salamanders the one after that, and Iron Hands after that one. Find the style that you enjoy playing, and then go with that.

Once you have a style and a color scheme, then you can start buying units that work best in your style and with your custom chapter. You'll naturally specialize, as some units work better for some styles than others. In a year or so (depending on your available free time and budget) you'll be good to go.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lungboy posted:

What's wrong with green :colbert: ?

Salamander green is so bright and garish as a primary colour. I know you can just paint a Successor and play as the originals but I feel like you gotta keep some of the spirit of the original somewhere. You can dial back the intensity of the green but then you kinda look like loyalist Death Guard...

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Eej posted:

Salamander green is so bright and garish as a primary colour. I know you can just paint a Successor and play as the originals but I feel like you gotta keep some of the spirit of the original somewhere. You can dial back the intensity of the green but then you kinda look like loyalist Death Guard...

I’ve always based mine in Warpstone Glow so they’re a bit darker and it works fine :shrug:

Examples:

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
If you're doing a successor, you can do your own color scheme entirely. Green Blood Angels, Red Raven Guard, or Blue Salamanders, the choice is up to you. You could do something like the Crimson Fists where the chapter symbol is just a recolor of the parent chapter or make something entirely new.

If you're taking suggestions, the Ultima Founding has a bunch of Primaris only successor chapters founded at the start (?) of the Indomitus Crusade. The Necropolis Hawks have a pretty cool and unique color scheme and are specified as Raven Guard successors.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Do Blood Ravens since they apparently stole everything from all the other chapters. They can be everything.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

If you're doing a successor, you can do your own color scheme entirely. Green Blood Angels, Red Raven Guard, or Blue Salamanders, the choice is up to you. You could do something like the Crimson Fists where the chapter symbol is just a recolor of the parent chapter or make something entirely new.

If you're taking suggestions, the Ultima Founding has a bunch of Primaris only successor chapters founded at the start (?) of the Indomitus Crusade. The Necropolis Hawks have a pretty cool and unique color scheme and are specified as Raven Guard successors.

Oh yeah I was looking at Raven Guard successors for ideas and I liked the Necropolis Hawks and Raven's Watch a lot so I might just play around with those colours.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

so the 9th rules are out, when will we know how the factions stand in terms of competitiveness? I'm interested in orkz and want to make sure I don't assemble a bunch of trap units

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Omar al-Bishie posted:

so the 9th rules are out, when will we know how the factions stand in terms of competitiveness? I'm interested in orkz and want to make sure I don't assemble a bunch of trap units

We’ll have a much better idea when the point rebalance is released and people have some games to test. It’ll likely be a while still

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Probably won't know for sure for months yet. There'll be a good fortnight of frenzied theorycrafting after the points drop on Saturday and people start playing games, but nothing will be for certain until the tournament scene can rumble to life again without infecting all the dumb nerds who participate.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

poo poo, I was hoping to buy a few kits and paint them, I don't want to waste my time lol

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Omar al-Bishie posted:

poo poo, I was hoping to buy a few kits and paint them, I don't want to waste my time lol

I mean, just do that? If there was ever a time in life where “stay inside and assemble/paint space toys” was a valid decision it’s now.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

that's a fair point for sure. worst case scenario I can just have some cool looking models for my shelf, and I need to practice painting

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If you really wanna build/paint and don't wanna blow cash on bad units just go with some sure fire things. Gretchin, Boyz, Warbosses (foot or mounted), Weirdboyz and prrrrrrrrrrobably Mek Gunz will be pretty safe bets on being at least usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Eej posted:

Oh yeah I was looking at Raven Guard successors for ideas and I liked the Necropolis Hawks and Raven's Watch a lot so I might just play around with those colours.

If you enjoy adding bits of in-universe fluff around your mans, there's justification for varying up bits of the scheme too. For example on the Hawks, the white bits you could paint a more parchment color (which many people find easier to paint, although some Contrast methods for white seem really good) and say the armor just weathered and aged from the original color since your army has been on crusade for a long time without resupply.

Then some chapters vary the shoulder trim, chest aquila, and even knee pad color according to which of the 10 companies a squad belongs to, so you would have a reason to vary the trim color.

Most chapters also incorporate an additional splash color or two to mark our veterans and commanders. The classic is Ultramarines incorporating more white with silver or gold on metallic bits. With my Blood Ravens, I focus on adding more of the parchment color to the basic red of the scheme with gold for veterans, and then add just a touch of green for captains and other commanders.