Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Omar al-Bishie posted:

so the 9th rules are out, when will we know how the factions stand in terms of competitiveness? I'm interested in orkz and want to make sure I don't assemble a bunch of trap units

The YouTube channel Tabletop Titans has being doing great breakdowns on each of the factions in 9th Ed (they were playtesters and so have had access to the rules)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

If you really wanna build/paint and don't wanna blow cash on bad units just go with some sure fire things. Gretchin, Boyz, Warbosses (foot or mounted), Weirdboyz and prrrrrrrrrrobably Mek Gunz will be pretty safe bets on being at least usable.

I was thinking lootas would also be a solid choice, they seem to be a top tier ork unit

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Jumping on the dope rear end robot bandwagon.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Omar al-Bishie posted:

so the 9th rules are out, when will we know how the factions stand in terms of competitiveness? I'm interested in orkz and want to make sure I don't assemble a bunch of trap units

Orks will mostly have less command points and have a bit harder time locking units in melee this edition. The smaller board size also hurts their teleportation skill a bit since there’s just less ground to cover. The changes in terrain are also going to make it tougher to hold most structures.

They’ll have new advantages though since victory points are now mostly gained for board control instead of kills. We got bodies everywhere and don’t need to care at all if gretchin are pulled off the board in horrifying quantities. The morale phase changes also help to keep them from running en masse if you don’t have a unit nearby to smack them about for an autopass.

Unit by unit it’s hard to say what will be meta since we don’t know point yet. The rules seem good for Lootas and SAGs though

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Orks will mostly have less command points and have a bit harder time locking units in melee this edition. The smaller board size also hurts their teleportation skill a bit since there’s just less ground to cover. The changes in terrain are also going to make it tougher to hold most structures.

They’ll have new advantages though since victory points are now mostly gained for board control instead of kills. We got bodies everywhere and don’t need to care at all if gretchin are pulled off the board in horrifying quantities. The morale phase changes also help to keep them from running en masse if you don’t have a unit nearby to smack them about for an autopass.

Unit by unit it’s hard to say what will be meta since we don’t know point yet. The rules seem good for Lootas and SAGs though

what makes it harder for melee this edition? I didn't play 8th and haven't read much up on 9th yet so I'm out of the loop

edit: out of curiosity what is the cheapest 40k army to field?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 13, 2020

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Alokgen posted:

Jumping on the dope rear end robot bandwagon.

Oh that is lovely! Very nice color choices. Szeras :allears:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Omar al-Bishie posted:

what makes it harder for melee this edition? I didn't play 8th and haven't read much up on 9th yet so I'm out of the loop

edit: out of curiosity what is the cheapest 40k army to field?

Stratagems to break out of combat
Shorter engagement range so less ranks can get in combat at once
Vehicles/monsters can now fire at your boyz in melee
Charging through ruin walls to avoid over watch is less of a thing now
Etc

Cheapest army to field depends how many variations on your main list you want to be able to field. Like armies that field smaller more elite units are usually cheaper but space marines have a billion unit variations you’ll keep buying because you have low willpower

Orks are definitely not the cheapest. I’m putting more than 150 plastic green men on the table at once when I’m playing orks

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

yeah, I'm aware that orkz are expensive. I was planning on buying them piecemeal and working my way up to bigger games

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Probably the cheapest is going to be two weeks from now Necrons.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

moths posted:

Probably the cheapest is going to be two weeks from now Necrons.

they don't really interest me besides as antagonists to fight, in which case they're dope. I think I'm gonna invest in a daemon prince and I'm researching how to convert some Sigmar chaos troops into cultists, since cultists are ANOTHER unit without a proper kit.

edit: I'm thinking blood warriors would make EXCELLENT berserkers and bloodreavers would make boss cultists.

double edit: I think I'm gonna pick up a daemon prince when some funds are available, I've had my eye on that kit since I was a kid, and I don't think I'd mind having one just for display.

Also, this is my favorite thread on this forum, y'all make for some interesting reading (besides 40,000 pages of arguing bitterly about that box selling out, that was bad)

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 13, 2020

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It’s not like combat focused armies are gone or anything, the shorter distances make a pretty big positive difference for them, even if the starting distances are the same - because you can’t hide things way in the back of your deployment zone, since there isn’t any ‘way in the back’ anymore. No one really know how things will balance out, despite what the loud proclamations of ‘All is lost. Melee will never win again. We will never see a smash captain again’ (single tear runs down cheek).

Probably the biggest change for combat is that tri-pointing and wrapping is quite a bit harder, though not impossible - and you can get out of it with the new stratagem. It’s honestly one of the best changes to how melee works from 8th, even if it does hurt melee focused armies a little. It was such a stupid mechanic. Once you figure it out, the whole game became one of cajoling opponents into accepting fiddly, often impossible to be precise with, movement shenanigans of “a quarter inch this way and then I can consolidate again over to the closest with this stratagem and then I attack with my hands instead of my weapons so I don’t kill the unit, making me completely invincible, blah, blah”. It was super stupid and it’s a bit of a tragedy that it ended up being considered the ‘ultimate skill’ for melee armies.

Anyway, one of the reasons combat is not as dead as the chicken little doomsayers would have you think, is that the new missions (which are by far the best missions GW has ever made) make the game very focused on objectives, less focused on kills, and makes taking the mid-board super important. If you’re not getting in there, you’re absolutely gonna lose. It also means that counter-punch units, which can hit hard and actually remove an opponents units are more important than ever. This is great for melee, since it’s traditionally a role melee units excel at. The problem for melee was always ‘getting there’ and they never had a problem vaporizing anything the pay touched. At the same time, while the new terrain rules are better for shooting than the ITC terrain, it’s still not bad for melee, as long as your units are behind, not on, the certain types of terrain they are completely invisible. No overwatch also helps certain types of melee (fragile ones especially) a bit, but not overly much. Cut them down stratagem might be a little on the weak size, maybe 5s and 6s would have been better, but I didn’t play test so.

Finally my guess is that units that naturally do both shooting and fighting are gonna be great in 9th. Especially vehicles, like dreadnoughts. While you can shoot in melee now, it’s still only in your own shooting phase, which is half the output of a melee unit. So if you charge something that has no real melee, like a leman russ punisher, or a storm cannon leviathan for that matter, they will get to shoot next time if they don’t fall back (since it’ll be the opponents turn) but they’ll be at -1 and if they don’t manage kill the thing they’re in combat with, they’ll be fought twice more - which should kill literally anything. Once in the opponents fight phase, and then again in your fight phase.

Anyway, we’ll see how it shakes out, but personally I don’t think it looks that bad for melee. Like 8th, melee lives and dies by the terrain so how boards are gonna be set up is important too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Eej posted:

Salamander green is so bright and garish as a primary colour. I know you can just paint a Successor and play as the originals but I feel like you gotta keep some of the spirit of the original somewhere. You can dial back the intensity of the green but then you kinda look like loyalist Death Guard...
You could just paint them in the official paints from GW for HH, they're a darker green.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

they don't really interest me besides as antagonists to fight, in which case they're dope. I think I'm gonna invest in a daemon prince and I'm researching how to convert some Sigmar chaos troops into cultists, since cultists are ANOTHER unit without a proper kit.

edit: I'm thinking blood warriors would make EXCELLENT berserkers and bloodreavers would make boss cultists.

double edit: I think I'm gonna pick up a daemon prince when some funds are available, I've had my eye on that kit since I was a kid, and I don't think I'd mind having one just for display.

Also, this is my favorite thread on this forum, y'all make for some interesting reading (besides 40,000 pages of arguing bitterly about that box selling out, that was bad)
Don't forget the Cultists of the Abyss if you want additional variety, although they're also monopose.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Revelation 2-13 posted:

It’s not like combat focused armies are gone or anything, the shorter distances make a pretty big positive difference for them, even if the starting distances are the same - because you can’t hide things way in the back of your deployment zone, since there isn’t any ‘way in the back’ anymore. No one really know how things will balance out, despite what the loud proclamations of ‘All is lost. Melee will never win again. We will never see a smash captain again’ (single tear runs down cheek).

Probably the biggest change for combat is that tri-pointing and wrapping is quite a bit harder, though not impossible - and you can get out of it with the new stratagem. It’s honestly one of the best changes to how melee works from 8th, even if it does hurt melee focused armies a little. It was such a stupid mechanic. Once you figure it out, the whole game became one of cajoling opponents into accepting fiddly, often impossible to be precise with, movement shenanigans of “a quarter inch this way and then I can consolidate again over to the closest with this stratagem and then I attack with my hands instead of my weapons so I don’t kill the unit, making me completely invincible, blah, blah”. It was super stupid and it’s a bit of a tragedy that it ended up being considered the ‘ultimate skill’ for melee armies.

Anyway, one of the reasons combat is not as dead as the chicken little doomsayers would have you think, is that the new missions (which are by far the best missions GW has ever made) make the game very focused on objectives, less focused on kills, and makes taking the mid-board super important. If you’re not getting in there, you’re absolutely gonna lose. It also means that counter-punch units, which can hit hard and actually remove an opponents units are more important than ever. This is great for melee, since it’s traditionally a role melee units excel at. The problem for melee was always ‘getting there’ and they never had a problem vaporizing anything the pay touched. At the same time, while the new terrain rules are better for shooting than the ITC terrain, it’s still not bad for melee, as long as your units are behind, not on, the certain types of terrain they are completely invisible. No overwatch also helps certain types of melee (fragile ones especially) a bit, but not overly much. Cut them down stratagem might be a little on the weak size, maybe 5s and 6s would have been better, but I didn’t play test so.

Finally my guess is that units that naturally do both shooting and fighting are gonna be great in 9th. Especially vehicles, like dreadnoughts. While you can shoot in melee now, it’s still only in your own shooting phase, which is half the output of a melee unit. So if you charge something that has no real melee, like a leman russ punisher, or a storm cannon leviathan for that matter, they will get to shoot next time if they don’t fall back (since it’ll be the opponents turn) but they’ll be at -1 and if they don’t manage kill the thing they’re in combat with, they’ll be fought twice more - which should kill literally anything. Once in the opponents fight phase, and then again in your fight phase.

Anyway, we’ll see how it shakes out, but personally I don’t think it looks that bad for melee. Like 8th, melee lives and dies by the terrain so how boards are gonna be set up is important too.

We should also note that, except for the Tau, most everyone can only Overwatch once per Charge Phase, and even that costs a CP. So that helps melee armies a lot, since only one unit per turn will ever eat Overwatch, and sometimes if the charge target hasn't got enough guns to make a difference, you won't take any Overwatch at all! (Again, unless you're fighting Tau.)

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

You could just paint them in the official paints from GW for HH, they're a darker green.

Don't forget the Cultists of the Abyss if you want additional variety, although they're also monopose.

those are cool, thanks, I had not seen them before!

edit: am I reading properly that berserkers can replace their gun with a chain axe and have two melee weapons?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 13, 2020

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
stealing this from elsewhere but i'm going to start saying that squads are maintaining proper social distance when i'm measuring cohesion

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
If they do end up super cheap from a flooded market of people only interested in marines; is getting a second sprue something that would be good for starting a necron army, or is it a lot of unit types that you wouldnt want more of for a standard sized army?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 13, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

man i kinda wish i hadn’t bought indomitus. is the 40k player base this terrible in general or

Decided to browse the thread for the first time in years since 9th is happening and... absolutely yes. The toxic people involved in this game are the main reason I stopped playing.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

the secret is to only paint and never play

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

anyone have some examples of Khorne daemon princes that are painted in way that isn't overwhelmingly red? the flesh tones of the models I'm seeing on Google are typically red, and that seems like it would look kind of boring with World Eater red armor. I like black armor, but I don't want to look like Black Legion, so I was thinking of maybe inverting the stereotypical look and making the skin a darker color to contrast with the red armor, but I have no idea what that would really look like.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Omar al-Bishie posted:

anyone have some examples of Khorne daemon princes that are painted in way that isn't overwhelmingly red? the flesh tones of the models I'm seeing on Google are typically red, and that seems like it would look kind of boring with World Eater red armor. I like black armor, but I don't want to look like Black Legion, so I was thinking of maybe inverting the stereotypical look and making the skin a darker color to contrast with the red armor, but I have no idea what that would really look like.

Pitch black with ember effects about the spines/eyes are quite effective.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

Pitch black with ember effects about the spines/eyes are quite effective.

this does look pretty cool, thanks for the advice.

I might field a couple princes, they seem really loving powerful

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Sisko posted:

The YouTube channel Tabletop Titans has being doing great breakdowns on each of the factions in 9th Ed (they were playtesters and so have had access to the rules)

I got very confused here between Tabletop Tactics and Tabletop Titans but they are indeed both great WH40k channels

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Winklebottom posted:

the secret is to only paint and never play

that and only play with friends

saying that I am so inexperienced right now I can't imagine how horrible it would be to stumble through a game with me if you were a total stranger !

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
On the Tabletop Titans channel they have been doing battle reports and they are pretty much the only ones I can stand to watch. The tabletop tactics guys are smart, but they are super over the top and remind me of the crazy nerds that used to wind me up when I played in clubs and stores against strangers all the time.

What I've seen in the battle reps so far is that while shooting is still very powerful, what's most important is grabbing objectives and holding onto them. Armies that sit back and attempt to just blast away don't win. This means melee armies do have an advantage, but it seems to be an early game one, as by late game they find their units being picked off the objectives they are on.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I started to watch art of war wh40k on YouTube that is very geared towards competitive tournament play. They have a nice setup for twitch streaming to.
It's not so much nonsense as Table Top Tactics ( I like both TT channels though but tactics are a bit over the top).

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I just wanna say I appreciate the gently caress out of the Goonhammer articles, I've been delving into the faction guides and they've made it a lot easier for me to choose an army

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I just wanna say I appreciate the gently caress out of the Goonhammer articles, I've been delving into the faction guides and they've made it a lot easier for me to choose an army

I put together my first magnetized model thanks to their article on the subject. Thanks to them I only hosed up a little bit, as opposed to loving up completely.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is there a good place to look for what decals to apply to what models, that doesn’t involve reading books and books worth of lore? Is there a quick rule of thumb, like “just put the same thing on each intercessor in a squad”?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

jesus WEP posted:

Is there a good place to look for what decals to apply to what models, that doesn’t involve reading books and books worth of lore? Is there a quick rule of thumb, like “just put the same thing on each intercessor in a squad”?

It depends on the chapter, but for Ultramarines and 90% of codex compliant chapters then the image below should have all the info you need.

If you want a more specific chapter, then just look at their wiki page under the "Chapter Appearance" section or whatever

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

According to firestorm cards my indomitious box had been picked and is ready for delivery

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-9th-edition-munitorum-field-manual-points-review/
Ho-leeeeeeeee Christ did Genestealers take such a loving kick in the ovipositor. Combined with the inexplicable Noise Marine rise and that's 2 of my 3 current armies eating poo poo :negative:.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-9th-edition-munitorum-field-manual-points-review/
Ho-leeeeeeeee Christ did Genestealers take such a loving kick in the ovipositor. Combined with the inexplicable Noise Marine rise and that's 2 of my 3 current armies eating poo poo :negative:.

The only thing that's making me vaguely excited in 9E right now is that I painted up two Knights during lockdown. All my other factions are in either the "so so" or "lol, eat poo poo" lists in that review.

One of the Knights is FW so I fully expect that to get poo poo new rules too.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Ordered 2 boxes troops of sisters and the Domi and celestian box. Got 3 troops from GW.. same price and can't be bothered to ask them to change.
Guess they are easy to convert anyway and not like anyone can tell the difference if they are not in to sisters. Makes a good basis for a Order of Martyred lady army as well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

xtothez posted:

The only thing that's making me vaguely excited in 9E right now is that I painted up two Knights during lockdown. All my other factions are in either the "so so" or "lol, eat poo poo" lists in that review.

One of the Knights is FW so I fully expect that to get poo poo new rules too.

FW rules are being handled by GW's regular rules team now IIRC so they should hopefully be a little more in line with things this editions

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MRLOLAST posted:

Ordered 2 boxes troops of sisters and the Domi and celestian box. Got 3 troops from GW.. same price and can't be bothered to ask them to change.
Guess they are easy to convert anyway and not like anyone can tell the difference if they are not in to sisters. Makes a good basis for a Order of Martyred lady army as well.

Battle Sisters and Celestian boxes are the same box. Box builds Battle Sisters, Dominions and Celestians all from the same kit.

Literally the only difference between them is the Celestians have fancier helmets.

(Though in all honesty, they're super not worth it. Just build another Sisters squad, pretty much the same effectiveness for cheaper).

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

FW rules are being handled by GW's regular rules team now IIRC so they should hopefully be a little more in line with things this editions

Yeah probably. I do expect the base rules to be better thought out than the 8E indexes. However the trouble with Knights is that they rely on strats & wargear from the codex to optimise stuff, and lot of those options are keyworded to QUESTORIS or DOMINUS to stop Armigers using them. That has the side-effect of cutting Cerastus Knights out of half the codex.

I'm secretly hoping that the FW books are going to include some new stratagems.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

Battle Sisters and Celestian boxes are the same box. Box builds Battle Sisters, Dominions and Celestians all from the same kit.

Literally the only difference between them is the Celestians have fancier helmets.

(Though in all honesty, they're super not worth it. Just build another Sisters squad, pretty much the same effectiveness for cheaper).

I think Celestians could be great. I saw some tourney armies running 30 of them. Rerolling everything seems powerful and if they are bloody rose and have an Imagifier close they can even fight a bit + Preacher as well. Shoot ,rr everything with extra AP on pistols,
Then 4 st4 attacks with -1 ap per model in CC rr everything. Plus bodyguard if you need it.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 13, 2020

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

xtothez posted:

I'm secretly hoping that the FW books are going to include some new stratagems.

I hope they do keyword adjustment instead. Stratagems are already spread over too many books.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Thousand Son supremacy :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I always disliked play g against FW stuff because the rules were all over the place, hopefully with the rules coming under the general 40K team we can move to a point where its as well balanced as the normal product ranges. Hell, even include the FW models in the codexes but with a little logo next to them so you know they are probably arm and a leg prices. Though admittedly that would add about 100 pages of Guard tanks and like one entry for the Necrons or whatever.