Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I will never get over the spear shaped like a rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Looks like it's a slingshot with a spearhead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wouldn't this, for most history, have been "everyone"? If you didn't bring your entire family and poo poo, why even invade?

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

xtal posted:

If the Bible was written by God themself you wouldn't think they'd need an errata issue. What's next, Newer Testament?

god did errata it, read the quran

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Paladin posted:

To be fair, every ten years the latest right wing conspiracy rediscovers the (summary of the) book and/or card game and goes "Look, they said everything they were going to do RIGHT HERE!"

My favorite continuing theme wrt the right being credulous idiots is when they're consistently unable to do the reading on previous generations. Here's a book that ties every conspiracy together, maybe I should read it to see what one take on that would look like? It's a breezy fiction piece, no footnotes or academic work/outside sources required. No, far better to assume there's nothing to learn and I can see through the Conspiracy on my own/with a little help from my friends. Critical thinking is un-American.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wouldn't this, for most history, have been "everyone"? If you didn't bring your entire family and poo poo, why even invade?

to extract resources and transfer them to your own country/the imperial center

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

not familiar with this specific comic, but even for the ‘migrating barbarian nations’ reported by surviving Roman accounts, mothers and young children were not part of the combat parties; they tended to travel as ‘together’ as tens of thousands of humans did, with and responsible for what you could call the ‘baggage train’

the real answer, of course, is that this work’s creator(s) felt the need to REALLY hit the reader in the face with the sense of horror and self-loathing Gunspear McLanternjaw is experiencing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

not familiar with this specific comic, but even for the ‘migrating barbarian nations’ reported by surviving Roman accounts, mothers and young children were not part of the combat parties; they tended to travel as ‘together’ as tens of thousands of humans did, with and responsible for what you could call the ‘baggage train’

the real answer, of course, is that this work’s creator(s) felt the need to REALLY hit the reader in the face with the sense of horror and self-loathing Gunspear McLanternjaw is experiencing

that's Mr Flintstone to you, and the point was they weren't meeting on some battleground like they were told they were going into their village to kill them all

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thats . . . a flintstones comic?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Phi230 posted:

Thats . . . a flintstones comic?

You are in for a treat my friend

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/02/634937720/yabbadabba-what-these-arent-the-flintstones-you-remember

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/22/15000062/flintstones-comic-interview-russell-pugh

Intel&Sebastian has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Jul 13, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

that's Mr Flintstone to you, and the point was they weren't meeting on some battleground like they were told they were going into their village to kill them all

I now feel like I might have viewed the incorrect Flinstone as a child

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LonsomeSon posted:

I now feel like I might have viewed the incorrect Flinstone as a child

buckle up, friend

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LonsomeSon posted:

I believe certain Germanic tribes used to put their women right behind the army, both to cheer on the men, and to shame them in case they started to retreat. Also to remind them that their wives and mothers would certainly be enslaved by the Romans should the Romans prove victorious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm curious to see how Betty rubble is portrayed...for um.. reasons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ron Jeremy posted:

https://www.previewsworld.com/SiteImage/CatalogImage/STL034086?type=1

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

That's some uncanny valley poo poo and I feel kinda uncomfortable tbh. Their bodies look like R. Crumb drew them but their faces look like a japanese pedophile drew them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

That's some uncanny valley poo poo and I feel kinda uncomfortable tbh. Their bodies look like R. Crumb drew them but their faces look like a japanese pedophile drew them.

her style in the comic itself is a lot more natural though a bit inconsistent. As a work it is good but felt a lot more breathless than his Snagglepuss one where he's a gay southern dandy getting set up by the HUAC

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

his Snagglepuss one where he's a gay southern dandy getting set up by the HUAC

This is canon now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Norton the First posted:

I believe certain Germanic tribes used to put their women right behind the army, both to cheer on the men, and to shame them in case they started to retreat. Also to remind them that their wives and mothers would certainly be enslaved by the Romans should the Romans prove victorious.

the problem with these accounts is that they were recorded by Romans, who also tell us that each Germanic tribe would maintain a wasteland around their village where nothing was allowed to live, and the size of the dead zone was a mark of tribal power

it’s certainly possible and even likely that something like this was done by some Germans, but it’s also likely that the women who hypothetically participated were younger, of fighting age, and prepared with training and equipment to function as auxiliaries or support units which might need to fight, as well as being the best possible version of battlefield cheerleaders

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ron Jeremy posted:

That's a variant cover drawn by Howard Chaykin.

It's unusually tame and work-safe for a late-career Chaykin piece.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is canon now.

Correct!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ron Jeremy posted:

The Rosie Odonald one

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anytime the whole HUAC comes up I always love to point out to people the entire "commies in the govt" was invented outright by an alcoholic pill popper who was going to lose an upcoming election and went whole hog on accusing anyone and everyone he could get away with "four are freedums" and succeeded wildly.

And republicans today look back fondly and wish they could do the same to their enemies again today.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There actually were Soviet agents in the government but if anything McCarthy gave them more cover than they had before by being a raging oaf on a witch hunt.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pentyne posted:

Anytime the whole HUAC comes up I always love to point out to people the entire "commies in the govt" was invented outright by an alcoholic pill popper who was going to lose an upcoming election and went whole hog on accusing anyone and everyone he could get away with "four are freedums" and succeeded wildly.

And republicans today look back fondly and wish they could do the same to their enemies again today.

the reason they can't is because the enemies also agree with all the stuff the HUAC said lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

is there an arc about a hunter who transitions to gatherer

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

is there an arc about a hunter who transitions to gatherer

You're thinking of Zootopia.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

I'm now anti-flintstone dc comic run.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the flintstones comic is for people who lose their poo poo when theres a reference to marxism in spongebob

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1283033751421943817

Dixie Cretin Seaman has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Jul 14, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Cameron_Gray/status/1282313831390339073?s=20

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
more like Nick Schwerer Gustav am I rite

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IntegrityforUSA/status/1283111298364997634

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh my God JC a plea.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh my God JC a plea.

A plea!

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/zaidjilani/status/1282888185962467333?s=21
are you loving kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

who is this fuckwad and how are they so bad even twitter won't give them a blue check