Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

what does forums darling mean in a 2020 adtrw where either some people agree a show is cool or people decide to vaguepost about how bad it is for 30 pages

as a young depressed lesbian i connected with the focus gridman placed on akane and rikka as teenagers struggling with living in a world that feels much greater than either of them individually, putting akane in a position where she felt inclined to do horrible things to maintain her own sense of emotional safety. i like that the show contrasts and eventually connects together both characters as integral to the show's emotional arc and themes. it's fair to say that outside of them the rest of the cast is fairly simple and undeveloped but i think calling akane or rikka undeveloped is disingenous, there's not a single episode of gridman that doesn't dedicate itself to explore them emotionally

That I feel like I've seen most of the more active posters cop for GRIDMAN. Recall seeing it in a ton of best of lists. Not really a big deal.

That's an interesting perspective, these kinds of post-eva things that deal more in baking in their own atmosphere than hammering in the fine details, the key is whether the specific feelings explored resound w you where it's speaking to ya down to your blood or it doesn't. My experience w hs ennui isn't reflected in either character's situations or struggles to the point where it ever felt clear to me what position Akane was in where she felt she had to do what she did.

She's most interesting as a portrait of a frustrated/self-loathing teen creative, the show spends most of its time in the back half elaborating on her feelings and she has a lot of em, but I feel like the lack of finer detail does extend to both Akane and Rikku's situations and characters to the extent that by the end, it's nice she's redeemed I guess, but spread out so piecemeal among the puzzlebox bs and the robot fights, it gets emotionally jumbled to the point where the core relationship of the show didn't give me much to respond to. GRIDMAN's very much the kind of show set up to where your response to it depends on what you as a viewer bring to it, and that aint nothin'. The robot fights sure are cool, too.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly, no. It's an absolutely bog standard "power of friendship" thing with above-average animation and a light dusting of foot fetish.
'Friendship' lol

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought Gridman was very close to being great but had a lot of stuff that just kinda filled up space and should have been improved or cut. Like Rikka, Akane, and Anti's stuff all worked but most everyone else was super boring and a waste of time.

Also it was loving hilarious that the bonus episodes were lesbian ASMR.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the show was about lesbians so

there's a reason the anthology manga is 90% comedy yuri comics

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the manga anthologies rule btw

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I said hilarious, not bad.

I should probably read that anthology.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Literally the only complaint I have with Gridman is that the last episode feels very rushed, I don't know if it needed a whole additional episode but even just an extra 5 minutes and change would've probably helped.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
symphogear ruined anime lesbians for me like dark souls ruined all other games for me

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"It's the symphogear of"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I watched the first ep of grid based on the vague ambient hype of the forum, didn’t see anything special (for me), stopped watching new anime for another year.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I watched Gridman because I loved Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad when I was a kid.

I paid maybe 60% attention to it my first run through, and I found it serviceable but uninspired. After reading the thread on it, I gave it another shot and found it more enjoyable. But 2018 was such a slammer for good anime, I don't think it cracked my top 5. :shrug:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DamnGlitch posted:

I watched the first ep of grid based on the vague ambient hype of the forum, didn’t see anything special (for me), stopped watching new anime for another year.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've gotten through 3 eps of this and I'm not sure what makes it great? Animation is nice but the story seems really generic so far. Does it get better?

Though there are bits of foreshadowing, a lot of what makes it a good chatacter study is really backloaded. Ep 6 is the big exposition dump episode, and the show got a lot more interesting for me from ep 7 onwards. There's also a lot of fun, small bits that are call backs to the old gridman/kaiju series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

symphogear ruined anime lesbians for me like dark souls ruined all other games for me

i feel weird about using a pretty good anime with lesbians as a value judgment on all other anime with lesbians, even as a joke

there's lots of stories about lesbians in anime and manga that all approach different things from different angles and nothing would depress me more than to have one specific one i like held up above the rest as a weird joke instead of just, appreciated as one of them

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 10, 2020

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought Gridman was very close to being great but had a lot of stuff that just kinda filled up space and should have been improved or cut. Like Rikka, Akane, and Anti's stuff all worked but most everyone else was super boring and a waste of time.

Also it was loving hilarious that the bonus episodes were lesbian ASMR.

Wait, there were bonus episodes? I did a quick search and didn't find anything about them, what am I missing?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was a series of ASMR shorts on the bluray.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Julias posted:

Though there are bits of foreshadowing, a lot of what makes it a good chatacter study is really backloaded. Ep 6 is the big exposition dump episode, and the show got a lot more interesting for me from ep 7 onwards. There's also a lot of fun, small bits that are call backs to the old gridman/kaiju series.

Ah, ok. I ended up binging through Mo Dao Zu Shi on youtube to make my sword riding ancestors proud, but I'll try watching Gridman through those episodes you mentioned.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but are the original Gatchaman shows worth watching? i like Star Blazers and Space Pirate Harlock and the first Gundam so i'm fine with anime of a similar vintage, and i like Ultraman and Sentai and Power Rangers so stuff being silly or monster of the week is fine with me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but are the original Gatchaman shows worth watching? i like Star Blazers and Space Pirate Harlock and the first Gundam so i'm fine with anime of a similar vintage, and i like Ultraman and Sentai and Power Rangers so stuff being silly or monster of the week is fine with me

If you like old anime and tokusatsu you'll probably greatly enjoy Gatchaman

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Endorph posted:

'Friendship' lol

The Colonel posted:

i mean the show was about lesbians so

there's a reason the anthology manga is 90% comedy yuri comics

slow pan over 'random' bulletin board

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

If you like old anime and tokusatsu you'll probably greatly enjoy Gatchaman

awesome, i'll add it to the pile of things to eventually get around to watching. thanks~

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i feel weird about using a pretty good anime with lesbians as a value judgment on all other anime with lesbians, even as a joke

there's lots of stories about lesbians in anime and manga that all approach different things from different angles and nothing would depress me more than to have one specific one i like held up above the rest as a weird joke instead of just, appreciated as one of them

not a joke

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think theres a lot of stories about lesbians in anime that are better executed than symphogear, then, even as someone who loves symphogear

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

It's hard to find stuff that doesn't get into weird fetishy territory

I tried to watch Citrus but the whole stepsister thing turned me off

Is Bloom into You good?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think there are plenty of things that don't get into "weird fetish territory", and arguably there is harm done in labeling certain kinks or premise setups as "weird fetish-territory" because it builds a certain connotation that any type of relationships that aren't mainstream or vanilla, or "standard", so to speak, are lesser, "deviant", "problematic" relationships, which can do harm in a person's own examination of themselves and what they desire/is alright in a relationship.

With that said, yeah Bloom into you is good. So is Kase-San &, and After Hours.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Akanesasu no Shoujo
Granbelm
Gridman
New Game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's hard to find stuff that doesn't get into weird fetishy territory
It really isnt op

That said yuri anime is relatively rare but theres a shitton of yuri manga

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Julias posted:

I think there are plenty of things that don't get into "weird fetish territory", and arguably there is harm done in labeling certain kinks or premise setups as "weird fetish-territory" because it builds a certain connotation that any type of relationships that aren't mainstream or vanilla, or "standard", so to speak, are lesser, "deviant", "problematic" relationships, which can do harm in a person's own examination of themselves and what they desire/is alright in a relationship.

With that said, yeah Bloom into you is good. So is Kase-San &, and After Hours.

The way they set it up didn't seem tasteful to me. Maybe it's gets better later or whatever but I lost interest. And thanks for the recs.

I'm just not into cheap fanservice anymore I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 14, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bloom Into You is excellent and I'm contractually obligated to say that it's one of my all-time favorite character dramas of any type. Anime adaptation's very strong too, only real flaw I can point out is that it doesn't hit a great stopping point so you have to read the (even more outstanding) manga to finish.

Also yeah, out-and-open "let's you and me date" yuri anime can be kind hard to find but if anything it feels like there's a small boom going on in yuri manga over the last couple years, really isn't that hard to find something good regardless of what your preferred story or relationship type is.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The way they set it up didn't seem tasteful to me. Maybe it's gets better later or whatever but I lost interest. And thanks for the recs.

I'm just not into cheap fanservice anymore I guess is what I'm trying to say.

citrus isn't a cheap fanservice thing, and tbh i can't really think of a lot of dedicated yuri anime or manga in recent years that are, just fanservice with no genuine exploration

like "tastefulness" is a weird word to me cause like how you actually apply that, and how do you apply that to an anime based on a manga by a female author

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The one girl being pushy and forceful with the other, and them doing the whole "we're not blood related so it's ok" thing, just not my thing anymore.

It's cool it was written by a female author I guess but that's not gonna change my opinion on the series itself.

Though this pales in comparison to Happy Sugar Life (which for some reason I actually did finish watching cuz I hate myself, I guess I was holding out hope that the main character would receive some comeuppance) which had all kinds of inappropriate comedy and creepy fetishizing of a single digit age child from pretty much every character in the series.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 14, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i too love to declare series that are explicitly about lesbians that are dealing with complex feelings lesbians have as 'fanservice' while praising a series that doesnt even explicitly confirm lesbianism and is primarily an action show (and also has 267 shots of the main character's rear end)

however, im glad to hear you enjoyed happy sugar life :)

anyway yeah if you want yuri anime that is pretty inoffensive bloom and kase-san are the big options. if youre okay with manga id have five billion recs for you

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Also wasn't there some maid show or something along with another series in a similar vein, gently caress, what the hell was going on a couple years ago

Edit: Ok I'm done bitching about garbage, time to finally check out Bloom into You

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm watching Yamato 2199 on this thread's recommendation and it's v good, but also kind of funny how it's 100% just naval battles on a space backdrop. They even have a space submarine in there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grate deceiver posted:

I'm watching Yamato 2199 on this thread's recommendation and it's v good, but also kind of funny how it's 100% just naval battles on a space backdrop. They even have a space submarine in there

Yamato 2199 knows exactly what kind of show it wants to be, and by god does it run all the way with it. The dimensional submarine is such a stupid goddamn thing on paper and I utterly adore it :allears:. They could've easily just gone for a cloaked ship as an analogue, but no they actually make the drat thing dive between dimensions instead with ocean waves rippling off it and everything as it "submerges". Nevermind the other dimension looking completely underwater, because why the gently caress not? :science:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

grate deceiver posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed that show when I watched it earlier this year. Its still hilarious to me with th ending reveal with his brother being mortally ill, but still managing to knock up the space princess

Yaaaaa maaaa toooooooooooooooooooo (do doodooooo do dodoooo)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is an episode of ai mai mii where they are on a bus that gets taken hostage by dolphins. i cna not find it any more. what episode was it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

found it

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

which episode was it? now i want to rewatch it

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

It really isnt op

That said yuri anime is relatively rare but theres a shitton of yuri manga

Most yuri seems to be more comedy than drama, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's... tons of lesbian drama manga? comedy is common but it's hardly overpowering everything else, i could name plenty of more grounded stuff. there's a ton of prolific authors who mostly do dramas, there's even a ton of dramatic yuri doujins for stuff