Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dogen posted:

Ice Hockey

Get Super Blood Hockey on Steam, it's hilarious.

edit - oh hey it's on a bunch of consoles now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

Get Super Blood Hockey on Steam, it's hilarious.

edit - oh hey it's on a bunch of consoles now too

Steam is good. The premise reminds me of Mutant League Football on Genesis, which was also great. Also sport games and chiptunes reminds me that Super Dodge Ball was a non-terrible early NES game.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

As an old that grew up with the NES, and also lived through the 20 or so years that old consoles and CRTs were literally worthless, watching zoomers pay top dollar for old dated tech that weighs 100lbs is very funny to me. I'll just play those old games on my switch, and sparingly because tbh they aren't that good for the most part.

I get it though. This is how boomers seemed to feel about me collecting vinyl in the late 90s. like "why the hell are you buying records? We have CDs now". I can see the novelty factor, but I have no romantic feelings towards old dated poo poo anymore. Give me the future.

100% this. Last year I wanted to play Donkey Kong Country, so I dug out the SNES and game.... and poo poo wouldn’t boot up. I wasn’t in the mood to troubleshoot the problem for more than a few minutes or mess with setting up an emulator, so I just bought the game on the Wii U Virtual console for 5$ and had a blast with something that worked. I suppose now it’s free with the Nintendo subscription on the switch, but I was happy to pay a few bucks for the experience then. Less than I’d pay to see a movie. Plus, I still haven’t figured out any way to display cartridges, they’re just in a bin, taking up space with the hope one day I’ll figure out something to do with them.

That being said, I love collecting vinyl, especially new releases because it’s a different listening experience, supports the artists I love, and something tangible that displays nicely.

I’ve about hit my storage capacity with Lego though, even after purchasing a bunch of shelves and bins. Though, every so often I see something I have to buy

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

100% this. Last year I wanted to play Donkey Kong Country, so I dug out the SNES and game.... and poo poo wouldn’t boot up

The batteries in the cartridge were probably dead. Some of them still turn on with saved info from 30 years ago, and for others you might have to get them swapped out for new ones.

That's one of the best things about Lego, that no matter how long it sits it's ready to go right away and you're immediately back into it with no fuss.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The batteries in the cartridge were probably dead. Some of them still turn on with saved info from 30 years ago, and for others you might have to get them swapped out for new ones.

That's one of the best things about Lego, that no matter how long it sits it's ready to go right away and you're immediately back into it with no fuss.

Oh yeah, derp, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. My brain was stuck on power supply or the cartridge connector not making good contact like the NES ones that often went bad. Much appreciated-I’ll crack open the cartridge and give that a shot!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

It looks pretty cool, but $200+? Eeeuurgh. For $200 you could buy a real NES with some games and get a nicer old CRT from goodwill or craigslist. It would look about the same on display but you could actually play games.

Or I can play those games via emulator and not have a bunch of poo poo I don't want.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh yeah, derp, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. My brain was stuck on power supply or the cartridge connector not making good contact like the NES ones that often went bad. Much appreciated-I’ll crack open the cartridge and give that a shot!

There might be a local outfit that can take care of it for you. I don't know the exact type of battery, only that it's closer to a watch battery or those little silvery disc/cylinder types. Harder to find at the store than your average AAA battery for sure.

I might post the space racers I made later. I just haven't had good light despite it being summer on account of living in a haunted house (I don't own a light box)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

My googling is failing me but has anyone else come across a remember a Lego fans blog where they were modding the Jurassic Park gates and detailing the progress? Thanks if you can!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well, glad other people like the look of that set. I'd much rather a scene out of a game or something.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Barracuda is up for back order

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Duvel posted:

Barracuda is up for back order

Ooooooooooooo

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I know it's crazy, but I really want a second copy of that set. It's so good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

you cant get all that for $200

Waltzing along is the obnoxious old man sitting around complaining about kids these days of the thread

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Invictus posted:

Waltzing along is the obnoxious old man sitting around complaining about kids these days of the thread

Get off my lawn

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I don’t know designer names etc but I’m fairly certain I saw a MOC exactly like that Nintendo set at bricks cascade last year. It did indeed have a rotating scene on an internal tread.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’ve about hit my storage capacity with Lego though, even after purchasing a bunch of shelves and bins. Though, every so often I see something I have to buy
IDERS :laffo:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1283008429162979329?s=20

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Up on the store pages as well, Aug 1st release, 299$ Canadian, 199$ US.

Oof, Figured it'd be around there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
200 bucks huh, not bad, not bad.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

ok that's cool with the cartridge that can go in and the scrolling screen

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Captain Invictus posted:

200 bucks huh, not bad, not bad.

Yeah, I was anticipating $300 US considering the license and the target demographic being in their 30s and 40s.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oxyclean posted:

Up on the store pages as well, Aug 1st release, 299$ Canadian, 199$ US.

Oof, Figured it'd be around there
wait, the link in the tweet goes to the US store page and says $299. Are you sure it's not $299 USD?

edit: now it's saying $230 after reloading the page. um

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well that makes a bit more sense then a 100$ difference between regions.

e: I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who saw the 199$ US price and didn't just mis-report it. :v:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 14, 2020

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

It was definitely $200 when I checked earlier, but it’s $230 now.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Baron Snow posted:

It was definitely $200 when I checked earlier, but it’s $230 now.

$200 sounded too good to be true, $230 is manageable, $300 is too much

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It seems like the initial rushed out press release has the price at $199.99 and a lot of sites have reported that. Still, $230 is £183, and the UK price is £210, so that’ll be a US purchase for me (whenever the border reopens).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Deceptive Thinker posted:

$200 sounded too good to be true, $230 is manageable, $300 is too much

LEGO watches this thread and they saw we were all expecting more than $200 so they added 30 bucks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wish I could go pick it up day one in a lego store instead of having to order online and wait for it to be delivered.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Now to figure out how to replace the rotating screen with Tecmo Bowl

also I would buy this in a second if I could just casually toss $200 to China for 1-2 months

https://astrobricks.com/products/real-madrid-49

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Can’t wait to see the “mods” people make by replacing Mario with scenes from different games in the tv. This is almost opposite to the electronic Mario sets as far as how intricate it is and how much room people have to change things up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Can’t wait to see the “mods” people make by replacing Mario with scenes from different games in the tv. This is almost opposite to the electronic Mario sets as far as how intricate it is and how much room people have to change things up.

The demo video shows it's clearly designed to allow that too. Pop off the top of the TV and the whole belt slides in as one piece? That's gonna be fun.

Fell asleep last night thinking about how to do a metroid scene. Making Samus at that scale is gonna suck, but one of the hallways should be pretty easy. Hopefully some third party lego company starts making custom character tiles.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Please do a Commander Keen mod

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's almost like Lego knows what we like

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Day one buy for me. It’s like a heat seeking nostalgia missile.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So there's a rumour that the Nintendo system set advertises other cartridges coming later this year with new backdrops and pixel characters.

Apparently its designed so you swap that out with relative ease.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

So there's a rumour that the Nintendo system set advertises other cartridges coming later this year with new backdrops and pixel characters.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's cool, honestly. I still think the official LEGO one took it in a better direction, but it's very different.

The fact that this knockoff company would rather spend dozens (hundreds?) of pieces building up the shape of the molded baseplates rather than actually try to replicate said baseplates is amusing but makes a lot of sense. The manufacturing process is totally different, after all.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a regular schedule for when they release new Architecture sets? I know they do them on a rotation but wasn’t sure if it was a yearly thing or what.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PriorMarcus posted:

Jesus christ

Although Metroid and Zelda NES aren't as visually iconic as Super Mario Bros

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Don't know if you guys could help me on this, but I had a set as a kid that came with one of those big sculpted bases with a river running between two raised section. It had like a jungle theme and one half was a temple with little traps you could play with. I think the bridge was on a hinge so it could fall into the river where there was a little alligator figure. Anyone know what this would have been? This was probably between 1998 - 2000 or so. I also had the big soccer set that was sick.

I was thinking about getting a new set to build and display but nothing's caught my eye. I might spring for that NES but I really liked the play aspect of those sets I had as a kid. little moving parts and contraptions were always fun.