Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, how's the battery life on the Galaxy S20?

I wouldn't want to do 120hz with any less than the ultra's 5000mah battery but if you turn it off it should be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

The current iPhone SE has a very long life ahead of it and is a great value, but with your phone usage pattern it sounds like you'd get just as much out of any of the Android One Nokias, which get 3 years of security updates and start at $120-ish.

It's not so much about the money as much as it is about the waste. It looks like iphones historically get about 5 years of support. To me, that is incredible value.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Bear in mind you're still going to have to have the battery replaced every 18 months, especially on the models that come with a small capacity battery in the first place. Maybe not such a big deal if you have Apple stores but if you don't it's a massive pain in the butt.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

dissss posted:

Bear in mind you're still going to have to have the battery replaced every 18 months, especially on the models that come with a small capacity battery in the first place. Maybe not such a big deal if you have Apple stores but if you don't it's a massive pain in the butt.

Is that a recent development? My wife has had iphones for as long as I've known her. They've all lasted longer than that without issue. Even still, we live in an area with 3 or 4 apple stores nearby.

EDIT: nvm, I'm seeing that I'm derailing the thread. I really did not intend to turn this into a "convince me to stick with android" discussion. I believe that the change makes sense for me, but who knows what will happen between now and october. Not currently looking for alternatives.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 14, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

RZA Encryption posted:

Is that a recent development? My wife has had iphones for as long as I've known her. They've all lasted longer than that without issue. Even still, we live in an area with 3 or 4 apple stores nearby.

EDIT: nvm, I'm seeing that I'm derailing the thread. I really did not intend to turn this into a "convince me to stick with android" discussion. I believe that the change makes sense for me, but who knows what will happen between now and october. Not currently looking for alternatives.

Depends on the phone maybe? My 6S was fine after two years when I traded for a Pixel 2. The Pixel was utter poo poo after 2 years, both me and my mom's. My ex's 6S was fine until the 3 year mark and it took a nosedive and we eventually traded that in for an XR

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RZA Encryption posted:

Was particularly bad during the 6S/7/8/X era - that's when they did the silent throttling thing that the class action that has just concluded was complaining about.

We have quite a lot of iPhone deployed at work and the XR/XS have definitely improved but then they started off with much better battery life so you don't tend to need to discharge them so much each day which is what kills the battery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Shout out to the exactly two people who read all these words, LastInLine and Clam Down.

LOL I was just about to ask how this going for you last week and never got around to it, I'm glad to hear the experiment was a success!

Edit to add to the further discussion:

I've always used my phones the way you currently use yours (don't carry it around with me at home, barely use it if I'm out, it always sits on my nightstand and I answer things on the Chromebook). Let me assure you that with that lifestyle, it doesn't matter how good or bad the battery is as long as it isn't at risk of exploding and can make it through a workday.

I'd still be using my Pixel XL if it got security updates.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 14, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not, but it depends on a lot of factors. If you're the type to use your phone heavily and run through more than a charge a day, you'll end up needing a battery replacement much sooner than someone who only lightly uses their phone. Even if you don't use a phone much, all batteries degrade over time somewhat. Similarly, the smaller your battery is, the more the degradation hurts, so the sooner it'll hit a point where you need to replace it.

It also depends on what you're willing to accept. If a phone gets, say, 10 hrs OST / 50 hrs standby out of the box, and after two years it only gets 5hrs OST / 25hrs standby, is that bad enough to want to replace it? If you use it a lot and now can't get through a work-day without it dying, probably yes. If you only use it here and there and just need to slap it on a charger before bed, probably no.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Linking instead of embedding because I didn't want to resize. I'm continually impressed by what the sensor in the OnePlus 8 Pro can do.

I took this in pro mode from a tripod (hanging on my open living room window). Just wish the power lines weren't in the way from this vantage point.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch the comet later this week. If nothing else, this is an easy thing to setup to see the faint stuff to know where to look with my Sony A6000 or Nikon P900.

https://i.imgur.com/JkSoxKX.jpg

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

EDIT: NVM, figures just flipping it off and on again for the eleventh time is apparently the solution.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HEAVILY cropped, but Neowise captured on OP8P

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol WTF, Google. I transfered my music from GPM to YTM the other day, and since I had to create a channel, I called it "my poo poo". For some reason, Google then changed my name in its system to "My poo poo", including in Gmail!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the Note10+ like? Koodo has such lovely options right now but I dont think things are gonna be getting any better right now. Phones have just gotten way too expensive. Camera is most important to me.

There isn't a whole lot wrong with my P20 Pro but, while there are no actual dead touch areas, there is something funny right around where my thumb normally sits where it will stop mid swipe and its increasingly annoying me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

hooah posted:

Lol WTF, Google. I transfered my music from GPM to YTM the other day, and since I had to create a channel, I called it "my poo poo". For some reason, Google then changed my name in its system to "My poo poo", including in Gmail!

That's just a formality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dear God, Samsung. I'm already considering going with an iPhone (for a change), then you pile on with stupid poo poo like this.

quote:

End of Service Notice - WEIGHT MANAGEMENT, CAFFEINE SERVICE

Weight management, caffeine and calorie tracking are no longer available in new versions of Samsung Health (starting with 6.11 for Samsung Health Mobile, 4.10 for Samsung Health Galaxy Watch). Clock faces can no longer display this data.

Galaxy Watch or Galaxy Fit users who still use the "Caffeine", "Weight Management" and "Calories" widgets in older versions will no longer be able to check the content on their phones when downloading Samsung Health Mobile version 6.11. The related data stored in Galaxy Watch or Galaxy Fit can only be saved temporarily and will be deleted after a certain time.
http://content.samsungknowledge.com/notices/49/de-DE/de_DE.html
(Translated. Not sure where the English page is.)

I can understand caffeine tracking, but weight and calories?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd imagine it's because basically no one used it, and instead have been using other more purpose-built / full-featured 3rd party calorie tracker apps.

e; if their slimming down of the Health app in any way means that the stupid Samsung Watch companion app can be cut down from its current 500MB, that'd be great, because drat that thing is bloated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I typically use MyFitnessPal when I have another dieting stint, but it syncs back to Samsung Health, too, which is faster to navigate when I want to quickly look up daily stats or progress. Because MFP is a pain in the butt.

--edit: Samsung is making an S20 Fan Edition?!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 17, 2020

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

codo27 posted:

Whats the Note10+ like? Koodo has such lovely options right now but I dont think things are gonna be getting any better right now. Phones have just gotten way too expensive. Camera is most important to me.

There isn't a whole lot wrong with my P20 Pro but, while there are no actual dead touch areas, there is something funny right around where my thumb normally sits where it will stop mid swipe and its increasingly annoying me.

Well, I haven't tried taking pictures of the night sky with mine, yet. What should I test out camera-wise? One thing worth mentioning: I've had mine since almost the release and I still notice its heft compared to previous Notes and oversized Galaxies. I don't know if this is something that will bother you if you're the type casually using your phone for stuff for long periods of time.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

codo27 posted:

I love mine for this.

The screen is absolutely top-tier in IQ, but lacks 120hz options. I haven't used 120hz on a phone, so don't miss it.
The cameras are good, the wideangle in particular works well with Samsung's processing ideology.
You can only really compare camera samples yourselves these days. Any popular handset also has a Google Camera APK you can download and use if you prefer the way GCam works.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

codo27 posted:

Bought mine on Black Friday and once I got used to the Samsung way of doing a few things that I couldn't replace with the default Android way (without fuckery), I don't miss my Pixel at all. It's been 8 months and it still runs like a freight train and the massive battery has completely eliminated my range anxiety. I also have 768GB of storage thanks to 256 onboard and a 512 MicroSD, so I'll never have space issues when I shoot 4k or super-slow-mo videos (which I do often having a teenager in the house who is prone to doing stupid poo poo that makes me laugh).

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

codo27 posted:

I had the US Snapdragon version and it was a great phone. Good performance and screen. Shame it doesn't have 90 or 120 hz but other than that it's a solid choice.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dear God, Samsung. I'm already considering going with an iPhone (for a change), then you pile on with stupid poo poo like this.

http://content.samsungknowledge.com/notices/49/de-DE/de_DE.html
(Translated. Not sure where the English page is.)

Apparently it's some specific thing that's going away?

quote:

I was more than a bit upset to learn that Weight tracking is going to end … turns out it doesn’t.

My inquiry to Samsung Health customer support got me an instant reply, clarifying that it is indeed Weight /Management/ (the calories grading thing) that ends.

Weight tracking is here to stay.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-health-getting-rid-weight-food-caffeine-tracking/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-4-xl-back-panel-issue-1138848/

Pixel 4 XL has a possible battery swelling issue which causes the glue on the glass back of the phone to give and pop off of the frame.

Users on both Reddit and Google's support forums are reporting the issue after a few months of use, case or not.

Edit: Just looking through the r/GooglePixel thread on this, anyone asking Google for help is poo poo out of luck and they won't do anything. Even in warranty.

Those who have gotten it RMA'd have received devices with the exact same issue down the road or ones that are already having the issue.

UBIF will fix it, though it sometimes happens again. In that case, take it back to UBIF and they'll fix it again for free.

Also these:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/hsuo5x/_/fyf7uzh posted:

Current UBIF employee here!

If you're looking at buying a Pixel 4 XL... Don't. Just don't.

It has so many recurring issues that I can't speak on because because of contracts, but it's a trainwreck. I’m posting this from an alt just to be careful, but we try to keep 3-4 Pixel 4XL motherboards of each storage capacity because of the number of issues that require a motherboard replacement. They’re constantly giving us updates talking about changes they’re making to parts to try and remedy these problems, but a few of the issues are on their 3rd or 4th iteration.

Don't get the P4XL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/hsuo5x/_/fyfpgtc posted:

For some reason, it seems like most of the flagships tend to have a lot of hardware issues, while the midrange phones don’t have near as many. The Pixel 3a(XL) never really comes in for anything other than shattered screens.

I would have to say Samsung tends to have the fewest issues for flagships, though. Above all, the defective hardware in Samsungs tends to have less catastrophic effects than Pixels. The most serious Samsung issues usually require something like the ear speaker or charge port to be replaced, whereas Pixel issues usually affect things like the battery or motherboard.

Granted, we don’t really see much except Samsung/Google/iPhone, so I can’t really speak on OnePlus/Oppo/etc.

Edit 2: Non XL users are also having this issue.

It seems to be on the top right side, opposite of the camera. UBIF will fix it under warranty of the phone. Google may claim it's cosmetic damage and refuse to help. They also may ask for pictures to prove you didn't break it.

Looks like it's easier to just go through UBIF and hope it's not a battery issue.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 18, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pixel 4 stuff

I hope my luck holds out because honestly I like the P4XL quite a bit. I like the orange color, I like and prefer the face unlock to a fingerprint sensor, and I like pretty much everything about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's the currently recommended provider for secure (as far as that is possible anyway) cloud storage? I'm starting to realize that the fifteen free gigs I get from Google just really aren't enough anymore and I don't really know where to look these days, because I don't want to pay a hundred dollars per year for a terabyte of storage that I'll never fully use, either. It should, of course, be Android-capable, but I also need it to be as multiplatform-capable as possible, because I use a variety of systems and I need to be access all my stuff on any of them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I pay $2/month for OneDrive.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/compare-onedrive-plans-2/

A large reason was a holdover from when I was accessing it on my Xbox 10 years ago and I already had it all setup.

I used Resilio Sync for a while before setting up a local network at home. It's free to use, but stores data on your PCs, not the cloud. So, it's unlimited, but it's up to you to make backups. And you need to have at least one computer running to access those files.
https://www.resilio.com/individuals/

I know there are more secure providers out there, but it's been so long since I looked that I'd be hesitant to suggest anything at this point.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I hope my luck holds out because honestly I like the P4XL quite a bit. I like the orange color, I like and prefer the face unlock to a fingerprint sensor, and I like pretty much everything about it.

From what I can tell, this is a widespread issue and most who check to see if it's peeling off have noticed it happening to them as well.

Google is, as usual, no help with the problem.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cardiovorax posted:

What's the currently recommended provider for secure (as far as that is possible anyway) cloud storage? I'm starting to realize that the fifteen free gigs I get from Google just really aren't enough anymore and I don't really know where to look these days, because I don't want to pay a hundred dollars per year for a terabyte of storage that I'll never fully use, either. It should, of course, be Android-capable, but I also need it to be as multiplatform-capable as possible, because I use a variety of systems and I need to be access all my stuff on any of them.

You can get 100gb from google for $2 a month if you really don't want to have to change anything about your setup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Back of my P4XL is completely uniform. I'll keep an eye on it of course, but so far not even the slightest hiccup with the device.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wacky Delly posted:

You can get 100gb from google for $2 a month if you really don't want to have to change anything about your setup.
I'm fine with changing things, if you have any other recommendations. I mostly want it to be safe because I would be putting work stuff on there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Back of my P4XL is completely uniform. I'll keep an eye on it of course, but so far not even the slightest hiccup with the device.

Yeah, I just checked mine and it's still okay for now. I don't know exactly how widespread it is, but apparently UBIF is forced to not talk much about P4XL's issues thanks to an NDA from either Google or UBIF corporate.

Supposedly, when you take the device in to fix it for this issue (or any issue), they'll also fix another issue that they can't speak about due to NDA.

This is really making me consider switching to iPhone...especially since Fi supports iPhones now and I'm quickly warming up to iPad OS.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Google hardware coupled with their aggressive defiance of giving good customer service has been an issue for years. Even the chromecasts have issues now.
Other android OEMs do have their poo poo together though. Nokia's whole line are tanky, reliable little overachievers. Oneplus have finally stopped making GBS threads the bed (touch wood). Sony phones, like most things they make, are over-priced because they're over-engineered. LG pretty much join Sony in that.
Samsung have higher brand loyalty than Apple because their phones are so well made. Their huge marketshare is largely based on "non tech people" buying a mid-range one, and then it's still fine years later so they keep it.
Apple have finally accepted they can't put the tiniest battery the tech specs allow in their phone and expect it to do well, so their past 3 releases have been hugely well received by their fans, especially last year's which saw a move to an "android sized" battery.

At this point Google just have their camera software going for them, and their lunch is pretty much eaten on that too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Dunno about Note10, I only have the 9 which I like. But just FYI, the new Note will be out in like a month I think. Even if you don't want it, the 10 will probably get discounted further.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Got an unlocked Pixel 3a XL recently that I use on AT&T. How do I get visual voicemail or what voicemail solution should I be using?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Does anyone know if the OnePlus Nord is coming to the U.S.? Sounds like an interesting phone judging by the specs.

Khanstant posted:

I think in 2008 I was still printing/writing down mapquest directions and asking someone at a gas station with a smartphone if I got lost.

I was still printing out Google Maps directions and borrowing siblings' smartphones for gps in 2019.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

90s Solo Cup posted:

Does anyone know if the OnePlus Nord is coming to the U.S.? Sounds like an interesting phone judging by the specs.

Not initially but it sounds like they left the door open to an official release later?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

For AT&T I use the visual voicemail app in the play store and it works, sometimes it takes a while to transcribe the call and it doesn’t do non English languages very well :allears:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

90s Solo Cup posted:

I was still printing out Google Maps directions and borrowing siblings' smartphones for gps in 2019.

There was a sales guy at work that would print out directions, except he had a smartphone and his job was at least 50% on the road, so I don't know why he did that.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

it doesn’t do non English languages very well :allears:

Never not hilarious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maneki Neko posted:

Not initially but it sounds like they left the door open to an official release later?

Basically this. Nothing official. It may come. If it does come we have no idea if the price will be as palatable due to them not wanting to devalue the other phones in the lineup which are already priced higher than than are in say, India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the bottom speaker on my pixel 3a xl went out, so my phone will no longer ring. however, i'm rooted and have the bootloader unlocked.

will i be able to rma this? or am i hosed?