Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I think the point is that by the time you’re turning the NY Metro into a Ronco Human Rotisserie Cooker, you will have had much bigger problems to deal with over several years that will probably make most places incompatible with human life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphemism posted:

goons are cool because if you're wrong about something 10 different people will tell you even if one person did it already

Not true, I was wrong about something earlier and everybody yelled at Pick instead

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

uncurable mlady posted:

I think the point is that by the time you’re turning the NY Metro into a Ronco Human Rotisserie Cooker, you will have had much bigger problems to deal with over several years that will probably make most places incompatible with human life

yeah there will have almost certainly been mass deaths in places without ac by the tens of thousands to millions, likely from famine. i dont think a heatwave in an AC filled place is going to be some sort of catalytic event because we'll have already lost the ability to grow coffee and poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
temperature number go UP!!!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
People wouldn't die enmass from not being able to sweat because theres like a dozen low tech solutions for that like "stay underground/inside/near or in water during the shittiest parts of the day"

You will get some in the beginning like you do with all heat waves but yeah. The real impact is going to be agricultural and economic impact.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 14, 2020

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
in terms of dramatic climate change events the top is probably a megasandy that wipes out nyc. systemic effects like persistent drought and sea level rise will kill even more but it wont be flashy

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

its not going to be anything as cool as a super heat wave killing millions in a day. its going to be more draughts, more floods, more fires, more covids, more bad crops, more invasive species.

instead of the day after tomorrow its more the day after

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

a solid retirement plan now is less 401k more prepper compound in the yukon

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SKULL.GIF posted:

did you know you can die of hypothermia at 85 degrees fahrenheit? it requires a constant, steady wind

Ah, so Wyoming in August.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You can also get hypothermia at those temps without the wind by simply submerging yourself in a pool of ice water until you develop hypotheria

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

witchy posted:

in terms of dramatic climate change events the top is probably a megasandy that wipes out nyc. systemic effects like persistent drought and sea level rise will kill even more but it wont be flashy

A megasandy wouldn't wipe out NYC but it would certainly do an absolute shitload of damage. But yeah I think we'll be seeing more frequent hurricanes/tornadoes/droughts/megafloods and just death by a thousand paper cuts instead of One Extreme Flashy Event, because a tear here, a tear here, no time (or lets be real, money/interest) in rebuilding here, another tear here, one there and everything starts to unravel and nations do ??? to try to maintain status quo and their own citizens first. for gently caress sake India is on the verge of running out of water and last year like New Dehli or something with 50 million people had basically ran out of water entirely on fumes and many rural places have to have it trucked in. South Africa as well saw Cape Town running on fumes. A lot of the discord and refugees in south america has been due to prolonged droughts, the syrian civil war was predominantly driven by a prolonged drought. Indonesia experienced some massive flooding that killed thousands and displaced thousands more just late last year. Puerto Rico is still hosed. Grand Bahamas(?) was wrecked and still is. There's still damage from Sandy that hasn't been repaired and iirc one train station is still shut down (or maybe just recently re-opened). If 1-2 million Syrian/Afghani refugees could fracture the EU in half and bring about a massive rise in right-wing parties taking (minority) power in government, just get ready for what even 1% India refugees is going to cause and the EU is going to dissolve and splinter into closed-border nation states and in America it's going to get worse than just kiddy-concentration camps too.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1282776822468546560

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7P247rfrw

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

its not going to be anything as cool as a super heat wave killing millions in a day. its going to be more draughts, more floods, more fires, more covids, more bad crops, more invasive species.

instead of the day after tomorrow its more the day after

yeah, the climate change stuff is gonna proceed at a infuriatingly slow pace because people will just adapt to the little things that get worse every year until the sun of everything becomes unbearable or causes a disruption in a large part of the food chain

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You don't really need a megasandy to turbofuck NYC

The problem with Sandy was the flooding. All you need are a lot of really bad flooding events, year after year, and you'll pretty much bankrupt the city as it tries to keep infrastructure operable. You still wouldn't wipe it out, but it'd be really, really bad. It took years for NYC to recover after Sandy and there are still long-term issues that haven't been fully repaired.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

You don't really need a megasandy to turbofuck NYC

The problem with Sandy was the flooding. All you need are a lot of really bad flooding events, year after year, and you'll pretty much bankrupt the city as it tries to keep infrastructure operable. You still wouldn't wipe it out, but it'd be really, really bad. It took years for NYC to recover after Sandy and there are still long-term issues that haven't been fully repaired.

bankruptcy doesn't matter for public institutions though as long as they wield political power

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Why the gently caress is this thread so focused on NYC it's like 1/1000th of the country.

It's also really ugly and dirty.

If our biggest concern is a big hurricane hitting NYC than it's a nothingburger. Big natural disasters damage big cities all the time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

bankruptcy doesn't matter for public institutions though as long as they wield political power

it does on a state/municipal level. it means killing off pensions and firing people, union busting, and gutting services and privatization and further neoliberal deathspiral. NYC despite having like 20 million people (7% of america) doesn't actually wield any real political power at a national level nor barely at the state level and all the rich epstein wexler trumps fucks dont' give a poo poo about what happens when they've got nice mansion retreat bunkers. now we'd certainly bail out mobile alabama and corpus christi though.

this is part of why the shutdowns have been so garbage and quick to OPEN ER UP is that even wealthy states are like 50 billion dollars in the hole now and can't print money and was their (very misguided, naive, and desperate) attempt to stop the hemoraghing. this is why it'd have been super loving important for an actual USEFUL bill to include printing like 5 trillion given directly to states because it'd keep people employed, keep things shutdown but keep some more vital projects going, and later keep the entire economy from stalling but mitch and pelosi et al have steadfastly refused because they want that to happen.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

we're talking dramatic/flashy events here, we'd never hear the end of a strong hurricane hitting the nerve center of american media and finance.

e: imagine Katrina but instead of hitting a bunch of poor black people it wipes out bankers and talking heads. though those people will likely be able to evac and the poorest will once again bear the brunt of it

witchy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 14, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

riseofmydick posted:

Why the gently caress is this thread so focused on NYC it's like 1/1000th of the country.

If our biggest concern is a big hurricane hitting NYC than it's a nothingburger. Big natural disasters damage big cities all the time.

NYC has literally 1/25th of the entire country's population, probably close to 1 in 20 people in the US live in the metro area, and it has almost all the country's rich housed there.

You can whine that it sucks but it is legitimately our biggest and most important city.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

riseofmydick posted:

draws a sharpie hurricane path from New York to Iowa

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shrecknet posted:

NYC has literally 1/25th of the entire country's population, probably close to 1 in 20 people in the US live in the metro area, and it has almost all the country's rich housed there.

You can whine that it sucks but it is legitimately our biggest and most important city.

New York state is almost fully 10% of US GDP and the NYC metro area is the richest metropolitan area in the country, and not by a small margin. NYC getting hosed up in one big event or in several smaller events over a few years would be really disruptive to the US economy as a whole.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 14, 2020

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

witchy posted:

we're talking dramatic/flashy events here
just pictured Steve Mnunchin being snatched up by a tornado

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shrecknet posted:

Good for it. I hate it. Because I hate America. I want it destroyed because it represents nothing for me but a bunch of rich racists and rapists. Including our very own president.

Crazycryodude posted:

It's 5% of the country, a whole fuckload of actual really rich rich people, and the headquarters of a bunch of media and also all of global capitalism packed into one city.

All the more reason to hope it gets destroyed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

riseofmydick posted:

It's 5% of the country, a whole fuckload of actual really rich rich people, and the headquarters of a bunch of media and also all of global capitalism packed into one city.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

riseofmydick posted:

Good for it. I hate it. Because I hate America. I want it destroyed because it represents nothing for me but a bunch of rich racists and rapists. Including our very own president.

All the more reason to hope it gets destroyed.

The 8 million normal people stuck there probably don't deserve it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

New York state is almost fully 10% of US GDP and the NYC metro area is the richest metropolitan area in the country, and not by a small margin. NYC getting hosed up in one big event or in several smaller events over a few years would be really disruptive to the US economy as a whole.
how much of this gdp is just furiously trading pieces of paper or computer bits amongst each other though

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

comedyblissoption posted:

how much of this gdp is just furiously trading pieces of paper or computer bits amongst each other though

Hey cmon be fair a good chunk of that gdp is also weird/illegal sex acts

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
it still blows my mind that every sidewalk in manhattan is permanently lined with piles of trash just sitting out in the open

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

witchy posted:

in terms of dramatic climate change events the top is probably a megasandy that wipes out nyc.

what is that? desertification?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oxsnard posted:

it still blows my mind that every sidewalk in manhattan is permanently lined with piles of trash just sitting out in the open

yeah its a very pedestrian friendly city

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

oxsnard posted:

isn't nyc is perpetually underfunded (except for the nypd lol) for how much money it generates and is basically held hostage by the state which doesnt give a gently caress because its so gerrymandered n hosed up that nyc doesnt represent 99% of the state legislature like it should?

but ya also come to sf, same thing we got a whole lot of trash lining everyplace.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Giga Gaia posted:

:eyepop: did anyone die? dhahran has a lot of people living in it

I think he means Abadan, not Dhahran, if I'm thinking of the same one. It was in 1967, 188° F (87° C) in the sun. Hundreds of people died and asphalt melted in the streets. Meteorologists dismissed it for decades because "temperatures can't go that high", then in the 2000s weather satellites over Iran regularly detected average temperatures in uninhabitable deserts above 159° F (70° C), and in 2011 they detected a temperature of 183° F (84° C) in Sudan.

To be clear, this is ground temperature which is higher than air temperature, which is higher than wet bulb temperature. But yeah, extremely hot weather and human populations are a bad combo.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Xaris posted:

isn't nyc is perpetually underfunded (except for the nypd lol) for how much money it generates and is basically held hostage by the state which doesnt give a gently caress because its so gerrymandered n hosed up that nyc doesnt represent 99% of the state legislature like it should?

but ya also come to sf, same thing we got a whole lot of trash lining everyplace.

it's way worse than SF because the city planning all took place 150 years earlier

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Flavahbeast posted:

what is that? desertification?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Chamale posted:

I think he means Abadan, not Dhahran, if I'm thinking of the same one. It was in 1967, 188° F (87° C) in the sun. Hundreds of people died and asphalt melted in the streets. Meteorologists dismissed it for decades because "temperatures can't go that high", then in the 2000s weather satellites over Iran regularly detected average temperatures in uninhabitable deserts above 159° F (70° C), and in 2011 they detected a temperature of 183° F (84° C) in Sudan.

To be clear, this is ground temperature which is higher than air temperature, which is higher than wet bulb temperature. But yeah, extremely hot weather and human populations are a bad combo.

i actualyl looked it up on wikipedia(the free encyclopedia) and he was talking about dhahran. shits wild

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Telsa Cola posted:

I am literally sitting on a branch making GBS threads in the woods rn
Nice humblebrag.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the nyc trash mob didnt want to do rolling trans cans like we do in california because theyre loving cruel rear end holes. also i guess it might make more jobs for trash guys? unsure.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

rolling trans cans
dont doxx me

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
everything will be fine

because NUMBER IS UP!!!!!!!!!!

FUNDAmeNtals ARE Str0nG@!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tubgoat posted:

Nice humblebrag.

Cell service in the middle of loving nowhere is fantastic because I can poo poo post.