Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Atricks posted:

The numbers from China are more than a little suspect based on the nature of the CCP, plus there is a lot more going on in Hong Kong that would make this effective cover for the other "Security Law" crap going down there. (It's gatherings of 4 or more, not just Disneyland) The government forced them there.

It doesn't excuse Florida, but I wouldn't read much into what goes on in China.

Have you seen how tight things locked down in China? They installed devices on people’s doors to ensure they quarantined. They were extremely thorough in containment and controlling this and that’s not propaganda or state media portraying that, it’s from first hand video from Americans that live there documenting their quarantine on social media. If we had done a single day of their quarantine protocol dumb white people would cry about it for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheNBPA/status/1282780045606563843/photo/1

who could have ever predicted such a thing

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think a lot of this fear is overblown and yet I still think Galaxy’s Edge should just be closed off. Rise is all about group experience, the Falcon ride is all about touching things, and so is the robot assembly line thing. Take away all that and what you have left is a bar (which wouldn’t be legal even in Texas) and a lightsaber store.

Reopen it as part of their holiday push, since that’s when Disney tends to market the hell out of Star Wars. By then either the situation will have changed or people will be more resigned to taking risks with this.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 14, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I think a lot of this fear is overblown

I know 5 people with Covid and the 6th just died. gently caress off with this.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I know 5 people with Covid and the 6th just died. gently caress off with this.

I am so, so sorry BL.

Craptacular! posted:

Reopen it as part of their holiday push, since that’s when Disney tends to market the hell out of Star Wars. By then either the situation will have changed or people will be more resigned to taking risks with this.

I hope they're closed 100% in no more than a month until there is either a vaccine or a treatment that makes this thing a joke.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://twitter.com/ParkHoppersShow/status/1282741910571016193?s=20

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I think a lot of this fear is overblown

No gently caress you. My mother in law had it, was in the ICU for 2 months and was moments away from being put on a vent multiple times and now has to carry oxygen around with her probably the rest of her life.

Close the parks.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
https://twitter.com/thrillgeek/status/1283059569065889794

This is a pretty significant part of the ride if you have never been on it, the Rise pre-shows are mini attractions themselves.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Man it sucks that I still haven't gotten to do Rise.
That drat ride better be fully intact at the end of this lovely tunnel.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mattfl posted:

No gently caress you. My mother in law had it, was in the ICU for 2 months and was moments away from being put on a vent multiple times and now has to carry oxygen around with her probably the rest of her life.

Close the parks.

I was specifically replying to the guy who basically felt that people can't even pass within six feet of each other. That if they can actually get American Karens to follow the kind of guidelines they use in Tokyo (which really aren't that aggressive and more rely on basic courtesy of things people here often won't even admit are any issue) then it shouldn't be that bad. At that point the only problem is outside the gates, e.g. that it exists in a state governed by someone as incompetent as DeSantis.

But we can't keep everything shut down and out of work "until there's a vaccine". New York etc shut down in 1916 for Polio, but the vaccine wasn't created until 1954.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 14, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Edit not worth it

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I was specifically replying to the guy who basically felt that people can't even pass within six feet of each other. That if they can actually get American Karens to follow the kind of guidelines they use in Tokyo (which really aren't that aggressive and more rely on basic courtesy of things people here often won't even admit are any issue) then it shouldn't be that bad. At that point the only problem is outside the gates, e.g. that it exists in a state governed by someone as incompetent as DeSantis.

But we can't keep everything shut down and out of work "until there's a vaccine". New York etc shut down in 1916 for Polio, but the vaccine wasn't created until 1954.

I'm a lady.

We do not have American Karens following any guidelines, per multiple posts that have been shown with people all up each other's asses and pulling masks off and so on.

No one is saying that we have to shut down everything but a theme park is not essential and should be closed.

Your understanding of the risk of transmission and infection of this is not good and you should really speak to a medical professional about the thoughts you've had in this thread because they need to help you understand how bad this virus is.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm a lady.

We do not have American Karens following any guidelines, per multiple posts that have been shown with people all up each other's asses and pulling masks off and so on.

No one is saying that we have to shut down everything but a theme park is not essential and should be closed.

Your understanding of the risk of transmission and infection of this is not good and you should really speak to a medical professional about the thoughts you've had in this thread because they need to help you understand how bad this virus is.

:yeah:

Craptacular! posted:

False dilemma. The point of shutdowns is to reduce cases to 0 and then safely reopen, with constant monitoring to contain new outbreaks at the source. Plenty of countries that aren't the US have already done this.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 14, 2020

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Apparently since we can't fix stupid, we have to ventilate it instead.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Roadie posted:

The point of shutdowns is to reduce cases to 0 and then safely reopen, with constant monitoring to contain new outbreaks at the source. Plenty of countries that aren't the US have already done this.

No country has zero cases. States like Florida and Arizona are absolutely shooting themselves in the foot because their hospitals are being quickly overwhelmed, but the point of the shutdowns was to keep cases at a level medical resources can handle.

I do think WDW should shut down again, because DeSantis is running everything into the ground and what’s happening in Miami-Dade will be coming to Central Florida very soon. But the park’s operation guidelines will probably be used in Tokyo and Paris without issue because those parks aren’t dealing with the self destructive :911: leadership.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

No country has zero cases.

China is down to +6 cases per day... and all the of new ones as of today are people returning from overseas, not domestic cases. New Zealand is at an average of under one new case per day, and those are all people returning from overseas. South Korea is at +40 cases per day from a high of +1000 per day without even a real lockdown, just by people actually doing the right and all avoiding nonessential interaction for a while.

Don't fixate on the literal number zero. The point is that there's a right way to handle a pandemic, and the US instead started late, got halfway through, and then gave up.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Roadie posted:

on't fixate on the literal number zero. The point is that there's a right way to handle a pandemic, and the US instead started late, got halfway through, and then gave up.

This.
Our prime minister stressed when the "polite" lockdown started that the goal wasn't 0 cases. It was to get the cases low enough that outbreaks can be contained and handled and that the medical staff and supplies would be sufficient.
Now, we've reopened. People are going on their holidays again and having large gatherings. I think we have about 500 cases in a week.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I think we have about 500 cases in a week.

Nationally, the US had over 65,000 cases yesterday. And I feel like that can't really be driven home hard enough. That's the average size of most American small cities. While that doesn't sound super spooky, you start to realize that in 3 days, that's the entire city of Amarillo (if those numbers were to be sustained; the problem is that they are being sustained). And in a week, it's literally the entire city of Atlanta. So every week we're creating a total and complete infection of a major metropolis like Atlanta, with no end in sight, and literally no containment and, better yet, the numbers keep getting worse. We are seeing exponential growth. And now the Trump administration just kicked the CDC off manning the numbers.

And I'm not even worried entirely about the US. Other countries are getting this under control and, as mentioned above, the people coming home from abroad keep reinfecting everything. I keep hoping that the US won't be the cause of this thing killing millions globally, but it's a small world after all and people are commuting this virus everywhere.

E: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 15, 2020

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Craptacular! posted:

No country has zero cases. States like Florida and Arizona are absolutely shooting themselves in the foot because their hospitals are being quickly overwhelmed, but the point of the shutdowns was to keep cases at a level medical resources can handle.

I do think WDW should shut down again, because DeSantis is running everything into the ground and what’s happening in Miami-Dade will be coming to Central Florida very soon. But the park’s operation guidelines will probably be used in Tokyo and Paris without issue because those parks aren’t dealing with the self destructive :911: leadership.

The number zero is not the point. The point is to get the number down to something quite low, as other countries have done. Once the number is low the virus can be managed proactively via contact tracing and testing. Both contact tracing and testing become much easier and more effective with a low number because less contact tracers are needed to track cases, there’s less possible sources of infection for them to investigate, and less tests are needed.

Yes, this likely requires federal coordination. But it is very possible. We could already be doing it. You could already be in disney world and hugging your grandma.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
On a personal note I’m quite dispirited that the advice of do strict social distancing till the number is low and manageable, then test and trace needs to be sold by pointing at other, successful countries who have used it. This has been the advice of the experts literally since the first week of the pandemic and America has been fatally deaf to it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dren posted:

This has been the advice of the experts literally since the first week of the pandemic and America has been fatally deaf to it.

Found your problem. If you think this country would heed the advice a experts, you need to get in line behind climate change and vaccines and probably dozens of other really important expert observations that have been made and ignored because "muh freedom"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No surprise but a lot of the Epcot updates are "paused".

Edit: LOL, just having a normal reaction to theme park cutbacks during a world-changing pandemic:

quote:

fter all this time. Disney could have worked on the Epcot overhaul years ago.

But Disney has ignored it. Epcot is officially the worst Disney park in the world. Most of its attractions have been neglected far too long.

Blame the cheap and lazy executives for chasing stupid trendy IP fads.

Then the coronavirus ruined everything. The Epcot overhaul has died.

Figment will never get revamped! No Festival Center! No Journey of Water! Most of the new Epcot pavilion symbols like the Festival Center and Moana is just worthless now.

Epcot will never be fixed! Disney doesn't care. They have been cheap and lazy far too long.

EPCOT overhaul has died!

Eric Idle and Judi Dench are immortal. 2002 CG Figment will still keep skunk farting in your face.

Blame Iger, Cheapek, and Imagineering for being paint by the numbers and chasing trending IPs instead of focusing on what made Epcot special in the first place.

We give up. The Epcot transformation is dead. Because Disney gave up.

quote:

Disney will never fix Figment and get rid of Eric Idle!!!! IF I DONT GET THE FULL EPCOT OVERHAUL!!! I WILL COMMIT SUICIDE TO MY LOVE FOR EPCOT!! IT IS BETTER IF THEY JUST DELAY INSTEAD OF MAKING IDIOTIC BUDGET CUTS!!

quote:

THESE PAVILION LOGOS ARE DEAD!!!! WE WILL NEVER GET THESE UNTIL 2027-2032!

quote:

Festival Center is gone! Moana is gone! Disney will never update Figment because all of those precious Figment/Dreamfinder people who rode the ride back in 1983 would probably be too old and would probably die once it gets revamped in 2050! Disney will never update because they do not give a god drat care about it. Fix it Disney now! Or you are going to hell!

quote:

What disappoints me is that Disney doesn't even care about fixing the Imagination pavilion and just letting it rot to death! Eric Idle is an immortal Satan from hell. And Figment is just obnoxious. I want this attraction gone forever so it can be replaced by Dreamfinder!

This is all the same person...https://forums.wdwmagic.com/search/1346585/

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 15, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Without a multilayered UFO building to put flower and garden booths, Epcot is now worse than your county fair.

That gutter troll should be condemned to WDSP for life.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

quote:

I WILL COMMIT SUICIDE TO MY LOVE FOR EPCOT!!

Okay it's okay to be sad to see a thing go away but drat that person needs to clam down.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'd buy a shirt with Eric Idle's face on it that says immortal satan from hell.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero One posted:

No surprise but a lot of the Epcot updates are "paused".

Edit: LOL, just having a normal reaction to theme park cutbacks during a world-changing pandemic:

This is all the same person...https://forums.wdwmagic.com/search/1346585/

Those all caps segments make me think of the psycho bandits from borderlands.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

quote:

Epcot is officially the worst Disney park in the world

I mean...this is still Studios, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Studios is great now. Full day park. Epcot without a good festival is a half day snore.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Studios is great now. Full day park. Epcot without a good festival is a half day snore.

poo poo, should've been clearer - I meant Walt Disney Studios over in Paris. The one that's getting the (inadvertently?) hilarious Catastrophe Canyon overlay

I'm pretty sure that park's reputation is still "pile of poo poo with Ratatouille's area as the only bright spot."

EDIT:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 16, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I had no idea it was a second park there :aaa:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Boxman posted:

I'm pretty sure that park's reputation is still "pile of poo poo with Ratatouille's area as the only bright spot."

Can confirm.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Their studios got hosed by budget cuts, and yet they felt it needed to open anyway. They tried to save it with Tower of Terror, which mildly worked, and then Ratatouille helped, but lord that park sucks other than those two rides.

It's supposed to get Galaxy's Edge at some point, but I feel like it's just gonna be smugglers and a mini version of the outpost and that'll be that.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Their studios got hosed by budget cuts, and yet they felt it needed to open anyway. They tried to save it with Tower of Terror, which mildly worked, and then Ratatouille helped, but lord that park sucks other than those two rides.

It's supposed to get Galaxy's Edge at some point, but I feel like it's just gonna be smugglers and a mini version of the outpost and that'll be that.

They were contractually obligated (in their contract with the French gov) to open a second gate by some number of years after opening the first gate.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Omnicarus posted:

I appreciate the Bushido spirit of the Floridians and Disney goers. They understand that an act may have implicit value even if if it results in your death. There is honor in riding the teacups and meaning in the lapping pools of SplashMountain, though the end that awaits us all comes faster then. Yet The Disney Goers care not where they fall, only that their fastpast is glorious.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Can confirm EPCOT is no snooze.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I’ve been twice (2014 and 2019) and enjoyed Studios. Granted it’s not the biggest Disney park- but between ToT, Crush, Rat, RnR, and Toy Story it’s still a great park. Also they now have a mini food and wine!

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Rendez-vous Gourmand or whatever is really good and it was especially good because in general the food throughout DLP kind of sucks, but when I was last there Rock 'n' Rollercoaster was shut for an Avengers re-theming so there were only like 3 rides that were really worth it (Ratatouille, ToT, Crush's Coaster).

Without the 90 minute queue for Crush's Coaster and the food stalls it would have struggled to even be a half day park imo.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I went to Studios in Paris before Tower of Terror was open and that was bleak. Even with the newer attractions like Crush and Rat it’s not an enjoyable park to be in. People make fun of Six Flags for building rollercoasters on car parks but the area by Aerosmith wasn’t far off that.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Yeah, WDS has had a "troubled history" to put it kindly, but it's getting better all the time. The right-hand side of the park with the Cars, Toy Story and Ratatouille mini-lands is good. The atrocious left-hand side is being completely re-imaged right now, and once Avengers Campus opens up most traces of the original "car park" theming will be gone. Once the Frozen area and lake opens in the middle of the park, we'll even have nighttime spectaculars, a-la Tokyo DisneySea!

Also everyone forgets the live entertainment. Mickey and the Magician is a fantastic stage show. The seasonal Marvel stunt show is pretty cool, and the seasonal Frozen encounter is (well, was pre-Covid) an intimate musical encounter with the characters. Mickey's Christmas Big Band is TDS's Big Band Beat and it's amazing. The stage in front of Tower of Terror is used for some very fun shows, and when coupled with the projection mapping on the Tower at night actually gives you a reason to stay for closing.

So yeah, give it a couple of years but don't forget the live entertainment.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I always assumed Europeans were too good for Marvel poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Mickey and The Magician is indeed very good tbf. During my last visit the other stage was just a recording of the Lion King show that was on in the other park. Just showing people what they could be seeing if they had gone to the other park instead.