Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I don't care about technical drawbacks with this question, but is it worth picking up DP Origins for the extra cutscenes or should I just play DP on 360 again?

I'll be doing this after DP2 so no need to factor that in either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Origins doesn't have the extra Directors Cut scenes, which is good because they suck, there's no functional difference between that and the 360 version, other than being permanently set on easy.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Sakurazuka posted:

Origins doesn't have the extra Directors Cut scenes, which is good because they suck, there's no functional difference between that and the 360 version, other than being permanently set on easy.
Ah, good to hear. Thanks.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
The fleur de li video is helpful, but a map with the locations marked would be so much easier. Does anyone have one?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
glad to see swery is taking criticisms to heart once again, good on him

Endorph posted:

there's def people going 'swery IS transphobic, these are his TRUE COLORS' and comparing it to like, catherine and poo poo

is there a lot of these people though? most of what i've seen boils down to some form of "this is a disappointing mistake but i don't think swery hates trans people"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sakurazuka posted:

Why did all those bonfire you could light to sleep safely outside exist? What's there ever any reason to do that instead of just smoking or going back to your hotel?

You can sleep for a lot longer than just using a cigarette, and going to the hotel and back would require four loading screens.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RottenK posted:

glad to see swery is taking criticisms to heart once again, good on him

is there a lot of these people though? most of what i've seen boils down to some form of "this is a disappointing mistake but i don't think swery hates trans people"

I've seen plenty of people who just took that one tweet at face value and now think it's a transphobic game, yes

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry I haven't watched anything made after 1992

It's a good show, I'll probably do a (spoilered) write-up of all the comparisons and references later.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've seen plenty of people who just took that one tweet at face value and now think it's a transphobic game, yes

Yeah doing an apology and saying he would change the game just signal boosted a small number of complaints into being the main online narrative about the game.

It's especially unfortunate because there are multiple times when 2019 Zach says point blank that in 2005 he was a less experienced and more ignorant person and that because of this he acted in ways that he's ashed of and actively interfered with the investigation, so either these people didn't actually finish the game or they're just doing the thing of acting like any behavior presented in a piece of media is endorsed by the creator.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
yeah man it sure sucks that swery decided to apologise and fix the bad stuff, now the bad twitter people will be empowered

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's no need to be a bad faith dipshit about it dude, it's a touchy subject and seeing it telephoned is a constant wound for trans people. This isn't about 'bad twitter people,' it's expressing a frustration where people rarely discuss things as they are and often discuss the idea of things they've been given second or third hand by people with no skin in the game. It's a real issue that happens to pretty much all art about trans people, whether its made by cis or trans people.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I beat it. I liked it a whole lot! I felt like it was pretty much exactly what I wanted out of another DP game, and I was thrilled to have another adventure with York.

The technical issues it shipped with are pretty inexcusable, and that’s a shame, because the game itself is something I’d recommend to fans of the original without hesitation.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

It's a good show, I'll probably do a (spoilered) write-up of all the comparisons and references later.

Yeah doing an apology and saying he would change the game just signal boosted a small number of complaints into being the main online narrative about the game.

It's especially unfortunate because there are multiple times when 2019 Zach says point blank that in 2005 he was a less experienced and more ignorant person and that because of this he acted in ways that he's ashed of and actively interfered with the investigation, so either these people didn't actually finish the game or they're just doing the thing of acting like any behavior presented in a piece of media is endorsed by the creator.

It was a stroke of strategic genius to ship the game with a framerate that apparently gives a certain type of online game commenter migraines, nausea, headaches and diarrhea so they had to rely on hearsay instead of being able to point to specific examples of the game's numerous hate crimes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zongerian posted:

It was a stroke of strategic genius to ship the game with a framerate that apparently gives a certain type of online game commenter migraines, nausea, headaches and diarrhea so they had to rely on hearsay instead of being able to point to specific examples of the game's numerous hate crimes

lol

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

There's no need to be a bad faith dipshit about it dude, it's a touchy subject and seeing it telephoned is a constant wound for trans people. This isn't about 'bad twitter people,' it's expressing a frustration where people rarely discuss things as they are and often discuss the idea of things they've been given second or third hand by people with no skin in the game. It's a real issue that happens to pretty much all art about trans people, whether its made by cis or trans people.

maybe i misread what Sleeveless said, but to me it came off as complaining about people who were unhappy with the game. sorry if i misunderstood

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
How the gently caress can it be controversial that SWERY goes my bad no ill intentions we'll fix it? I like SWERY and that made me like him even more, well done owning up to a mistake .

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

maybe i misread what Sleeveless said, but to me it came off as complaining about people who were unhappy with the game. sorry if i misunderstood
If someone did not think the presentation in the game was bad at all (which is an entirely valid opinion to have) then having SWERY agree to change it because a bunch of people who mostly hadnt even seen the scenes in the game complained (which is objectively what happened, almost all the big tweets were 'i heard from jim sterling' or whatever and there was no actual clip of the relevant scenes circulating around) would be annoying and frustrating.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

If someone did not think the presentation in the game was bad at all (which is an entirely valid opinion to have) then having SWERY agree to change it because a bunch of people who mostly hadnt even seen the scenes in the game complained (which is objectively what happened, almost all the big tweets were 'i heard from jim sterling' or whatever and there was no actual clip of the relevant scenes circulating around) would be annoying and frustrating.

Yeah true.

I don't think that SWERY would go as far as promising to rewrite a part of the game just because of tweets like that though. He worked with trans consultants before, so there are probably people he could get in touch with to learn more about why this was controversial for some people before making the decision.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

On the other hand I really feel like this is the direct to dvd sequel to Deadly Premonition. So much missed potential, and so many things that are set up that go nowhere. It's been a few days since I beat it now so I'll just outline some of my complaints in spoiler tags.

One of the earliest, and most memorable lines in the game is Zach saying that the red tree in Le Carre ruined his life. Said red tree appears in the plot for about 15 seconds and starts to set up something before the game clumsily moves away from it and never moves back.

Aaliyah was a great new character, but she doesn't do a drat thing at the end aside from getting controlled by Forrest Kaysen. His appearance at all felt so pandering to me, he really did not need to come back. At least wearing the exact same clothes as DP1, I could kind of see it if he was a different Kaysen but it's clearly implied to be the same one.

From near the end of chapter 3 to the end of the game it feels like a huge chunk was just removed. They set up Hurricane Katrina for the whole game and it's kind of just glossed over what happened during it. Not to mention the actual end of chapter 3 that goes straight from York talking about a "Deadly Premonition" being nearby to the chapter end cutscene. Not that I really wanted another combat section because they were all somehow worse than the first game and used the exact same template for every single one. The ending feels so rushed.

There's a decent chunk of dialogue with Patricia, but it's so easy to interrupt on accident. The same goes for dialogue while York's talking to himself on the skateboard, except it feels like there are maybe 15 total lines for that in the whole game and they repeat themselves almost constantly.

York doesn't connect with any of the characters in this game aside from Patti. There's nothing in the game like the heart to heart talks with George at the bar or Emily in York's hotel room. I don't think it should have just repeated the last game but something like the town meeting would have been nice. There are just way less potential suspects this time around anyway. You also can't enter anyone's house which was a big part of the last game's side quests.

A few NPCs talk about stuff that seems to be cut from the game, like skateboard racing and customizing your skateboard. Maybe its just Emma.

The game is so drat buggy, but honestly it led to entertainment more often than not. One time I walked out of the door to Casa Pineapple and ended up all the way over at the Clarkson Estate, and another time I spoke to Xavier at his house only to be teleported into a locked off chapter 3 area while Xavier floated in the air.

I could go on but these are some of the biggest issues I had. Overall I'm glad swery got to make it but wish he had spent a lot more time on it. This game is so niche though so I guess I can't blame him for cutting corners with the sequel.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just got a bug that meant I had to reload a save from before I spent like half an hour skipping stones, and I'm not even mad about it

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
ok so I decided to watch the first hour of DP2, I'm completely enthralled and sold on the game story, if they patch it a couple times it's a definite buy.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

Making it safer for game developers to just not include any trans characters at all is praxis

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'd like to speak to Swery's manager about this big five split

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

eating only apples posted:

I just got a bug that meant I had to reload a save from before I spent like half an hour skipping stones, and I'm not even mad about it

Is there a list of rewards you can get from minigames like skipping stones and the skateboarding courses and stuff? I want to know if it's worth it. Skipping stones is surprisingly fun and relaxing though so I'll definitely end up getting all the rewards for that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've had the game crash twice now while trying to save and it's very concerning. I've saved early and often in anticipation of this but it's still disheartening to lose progress like that

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

CharlestonJew posted:

I've had the game crash twice now while trying to save and it's very concerning. I've saved early and often in anticipation of this but it's still disheartening to lose progress like that

could take a break for a bit and see if the game gets patched?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

RottenK posted:

could take a break for a bit and see if the game gets patched?

All of DP Origins’ patches never fixed it from crashing, and this sequel definitely has a memory leak issue, so unless they manage to fix that I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

With respect to the trans stuff, Jim Sterling did go as far on his podcast as to say that it was so bad it made him stop playing the game and even accused Swery of feeling emboldened to be intentionally lovely about it because he made the Missing. Which seems to have been a fairly big overreaction and definitely did make me frustrated to hear because Jim has a lot of clout in this matter. I wouldn't be surprised if his opinion could meaningfully impact sales in the west.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Anecdotal, but I definitely recommend closing/fully restarting the game occasionally to avoid the hard crashes since it is definitely leaking memory like a fiend. I only had one hard crash before I started doing that, but zero afterwards

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sales are gonna be poor anyway because it’s an already niche title with severe performance issues that will keep most people away.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Mods No Masters posted:

Anecdotal, but I definitely recommend closing/fully restarting the game occasionally to avoid the hard crashes since it is definitely leaking memory like a fiend. I only had one hard crash before I started doing that, but zero afterwards

Weirdly enough for me the crashes didnt start happening until after I started fully shutting the game down after a play session

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Nephthys posted:

With respect to the trans stuff, Jim Sterling did go as far on his podcast as to say that it was so bad it made him stop playing the game and even accused Swery of feeling emboldened to be intentionally lovely about it because he made the Missing. Which seems to have been a fairly big overreaction and definitely did make me frustrated to hear because Jim has a lot of clout in this matter. I wouldn't be surprised if his opinion could meaningfully impact sales in the west.

I think you're overestimating Jim's influence. as man nurse said - if this game flops it'll be the one two punch of being very niche and also being infamous for performance issues so bad that some people get nausea from the framerate

I'll have to listen to the pod and see what exactly he said, jimbo has bad takes once in a while but this seems a bit too much. though with all the terf poo poo lately maybe he has a short fuse wrt this topic

RottenK fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 14, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jim S has relatively significant cachet in the deadly premonition niche specifically, I would bet a surprising amount of sales of the original can be traced to him or supergreatfriend in some fashion. It sounds like he saved his hotter take for the podcast which probably has less of a reach though, he didn't seem quite as mad about it in his video

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So where are the killer bees at

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
There was like 4 hives in the park and they would respawn when I went from one end of the park to the other, dogs didn't seem to respawn though

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Hardest quest in the game so far: Episode 3, following Willie? Or a dalmatian just like him. After losing him in the sugar canes, I had to take a break.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Hardest quest in the game so far: Episode 3, following Willie? Or a dalmatian just like him. After losing him in the sugar canes, I had to take a break.

Trying that part for the second time after failing was the most intense moment in the entire game. 10 irretrievable minutes of your life at stake

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RottenK posted:

I think you're overestimating Jim's influence. as man nurse said - if this game flops it'll be the one two punch of being very niche and also being infamous for performance issues so bad that some people get nausea from the framerate

I'll have to listen to the pod and see what exactly he said, jimbo has bad takes once in a while but this seems a bit too much. though with all the terf poo poo lately maybe he has a short fuse wrt this topic

That's definitely true, but what worries me is that the kind of fan who would both be aware of the game and interested enough to overlook framerate are the kind who were turned on to it by people like Jim spreading positive awareness of it. The DP team appreciated him enough to send him a special edition of the first game with him on the case art after all.

That's my impression. He's pretty stressed out right now with a bunch of setbacks and lovely reveals happening back to back, so I think the disappointment got to him.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I got magnum rounds for Mr Alligator. They reduce my clip size to six, but they increased my damage from 50 to 150. I need to play with my beads, and see whether that's +100 damage or x3. Either way it's pretty good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Love that a cis dude is the one who gets to decide how trans representation should be taken by the community at large, lol

that to me is way more transphobic than anything in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I listened to the DP2 segment of the podcast. They open up with talking about the terrible performance for a while, then move on to the trans stuff. Jim did say that he stopped playing the game, but I think he just thinks the game's bad, in no small part because of the performance issues and endless jank.

I didn't hear anyone accuse SWERY of being a bigot or intentionally transphobic, though all three are pretty unhappy and disappointed. The JJ bit didn't read as "SWERY thinks its ok to be a bigot now", to me it sounded like she (the argument was by Jim's trans co-host, not him) thought that SWERY wanted to follow up a positive game about a good trans character with a game that has an evil trans character just to do it both ways.

edit: i guess we both were wrong, she thought that swery overestimated how much he knows about the topic after positive reception to JJ. Also she's glad that he apologised and agrees that the problematic bits happened because he didn't know better and not malice, but also thinks he really should've known better.

Endorph posted:

Love that a cis dude is the one who gets to decide how trans representation should be taken by the community at large, lol

that to me is way more transphobic than anything in the game

he didn't really say anything like this, all i heard is him being baffled and unhappy because of the repeated deadnaming issue. i think he mostly defers to the trans woman that is on the pod with him on this topic

RottenK fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 15, 2020