Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There is no social subtext anyone will miss from any persona game. They do don't know how to even spell the word Subtle.

Don't you mean subbuttle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
persona, putting the B in subtle

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
After having played a lot of SMT4 and 4a, I now hate the demon negotiation in Strange Journey Redux. The number of times I've "successfully" negotiated and then had the demon go "thanks for the free money bitch" and peace out seems way higher than any other SMT game I've played, I might just be having an unlucky run though. This is somewhat offset by the dirt cheap healing stations that seem plentiful at least in the first 2 dungeons-- i don't so much mind giving someone all my SP to recruit them when I can just turn around and buy it back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
raidou kuzunoha 2 was my worst time with the demon negotiation system and between that and the hick accents it's one of the very few SMT games i couldn't finish

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tokyo mirage sessions sharp eff ee is a good video game

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Amppelix posted:

Tokyo mirage sessions sharp eff ee is a good video game

like 4 songs from that game will be wedged in my brain until the day i die

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

And then the original SMT is "All my friends are dead".

Also your mom is eaten by a demon within the first hour and no one brings it up again.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

so whats diarama, it is NOT a mara id

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

You say that, but it wasn't long ago that we had to explain the basics of how lovely the Japanese court system is in this very thread.

The literal opening cutscene of the game is you being drugged and abused to force a confession by the police and the reason you're in a new school is cause someone in power set you up and had the courts run you out on a rail. You get it pretty quick that the whole system is rotten.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 15, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

AlphaKeny1 posted:

so whats diarama, it is NOT a mara id

not much what's diarama with u

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zvahl posted:

like 4 songs from that game will be wedged in my brain until the day i die

KO WA SHI TAI

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So here's a question for people who recently played/replayed P4G.

How do you feel about the Investigation Team and more specifically how they treat each other?

I notice the detractors I typically talk to cite the fact they thought the IT were all assholes to each other and this totally spit in the face of the Best Friends Forever narrative the game was pushing. But this never once crossed my mind when I played the game. I just don't see it at all.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
they seem pretty close with the exception of yosuke and kanji, where i feel like even excluding the occasional homophobia, yosuke is almost never anything but a dick to kanji.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There are good reasons to not like Yusuke but taking in Teddie is incredible. No one should have to carry such a burden.

I'm also not sure the narrative is really that best friends forever. Everyone does get together and do stuff which is cool but in the final ending you get the implication that everyone is growing up and becoming different. From what I've seen people who thought the IT were mean to each other were taking Chie's anime violence seriously.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 15, 2020

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

NikkolasKing posted:

So here's a question for people who recently played/replayed P4G.

How do you feel about the Investigation Team and more specifically how they treat each other?

I notice the detractors I typically talk to cite the fact they thought the IT were all assholes to each other and this totally spit in the face of the Best Friends Forever narrative the game was pushing. But this never once crossed my mind when I played the game. I just don't see it at all.

I think Yosuke is a weird jerk to everybody as some kind of weird defense mechanism, but everybody else seems fine? Unless your hypothetical detractor is talking about how the girls were mean to Yosuke every time he sexually harassed them, in which case OP is beyond saving.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah they're decently close-knit and they basically just take turns ragging on each other. You can argue that Naoto isn't as closely folded in, but otherwise everyone pretty much has someone you can see them hanging out with.

I actually can't remember if Naoto is the only one who doesn't share a class with any of the other humans. I think Kanji/Rise do, and Yu/Yosuke/Chie are obvious but my memory is fuzzy and I can't recall if Yukiko is actually in their class.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah they're decently close-knit and they basically just take turns ragging on each other. You can argue that Naoto isn't as closely folded in, but otherwise everyone pretty much has someone you can see them hanging out with.

I actually can't remember if Naoto is the only one who doesn't share a class with any of the other humans. I think Kanji/Rise do, and Yu/Yosuke/Chie are obvious but my memory is fuzzy and I can't recall if Yukiko is actually in their class.

she is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yuu, Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko are all in the same class. Kanji and Rise are in the same class in year 1 (and iirc, Rise is actually older than kanji and demands privileges for that). I think Naoto is the only one in a different class and Teddie is a Junes-fool or something.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
They can be kinda dicks to each other, especially Yosuke, but mostly in a way that felt pretty spot on from how I remember my high school group of friends.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

They can be kinda dicks to each other, especially Yosuke, but mostly in a way that felt pretty spot on from how I remember my high school group of friends.

Yosuke was exactly how a teen circa 2008 would act.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

He was mostly a pretty good bro to the MC but there were definitely a lot of times I wanted Kanji to just punch him.

Also I've only played p5 and p4g as far as SMT games so far (and like maybe 20% of p3 a few years back) and Kanji's definitely my favorite character so far.

From a writing standpoint btw what are the biggest standouts of the series in people's opinion (I am generally willing to push my way through difficult/tedious gameplay if story is good enough)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The P4 and P5 crew are all very close, some of yall need to play vanilla P3 to see what it's like when the cast is definitely not friends

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 15, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zerilan posted:

From a writing standpoint btw what are the biggest standouts of the series in people's opinion (I am generally willing to push my way through difficult/tedious gameplay if story is good enough)

Honestly? Mostly the SLs. P4's Hanged Man/Moon are great. Futaba's story and SL in P5 are pretty good.

The gameplay may be very outdated but good chunks of P3's main story are also solid, and the final battle hasn't really been topped in the series in my opinion.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The P4 and P5 crew are all very close, some of yall need to play vanilla P3 to see what it's like when the cast is definitely not friends

I'd call Junpei and Yukari friends in the kind of comedy duo way. It's similar to Yosuke/Chie and Ryuji/Ann except that Junpei never makes a move on Yukari (to my recollection, it's been years) so it just feels like an actual friendship, and they do riff on each other in equal amounts whereas with Yosuke/Chie Yosuke mostly just plays straight man. The two are also cordial enough with Akihiko and look out for Ken.

Mitsuru's kinda stand-offish though close enough with Akihiko and Shinjiro that they're the only ones in the main game she drops the last name for. Fuuka feels like the most distant out of everyone.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 15, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is why I an't hate him. The poo poo he did to Kanji was awful but I vividly recall me and my male friends saying things very similar back in middle and high school. It doesn't make it right but it does make me understand him and I'm just grateful he doesn't harp on it as much.

Also I was bitching about P4's romances a few weeks ago and I took it to Reddit. Somebody there said:

quote:

They even did it in Naotos path. Just don't pick the dialogue options reminding her of her femininity and she'll simply not be interested. All others you have to shoot down, and except for maybe Chie none take it well.

What's more, they actually removed this romance flag system that was in vanilla P4. In vanilla you'd have to fight alongside Chie or tell Yukiko that the inn people actually have the right idea, or they'd simply not see you that way. There is a remnant of it when you do that one early quest for an old lady at the flood plain. As a reward she gives you advice on how to get girls to like you and she says actions speak louder than words.

But apparently too many missed the flags and couldn't get their waifu to like them back, so Atlus scrapped the flag system for everyone but Naoto and now let the players reject everyone.

If this is true, this is a revelation to me and not brought up in usual discussions of P4 vs. P4G. This would seem to be an area P4 was superior.

Also I'm finally getting really started on my P4G replay. I gotta say, great game, but it absolutely falls into my expectations with the start of a JRPG. Ever since Xenosaga Episode 1 in 2003, I have come to expect a JRPG to have a very long, very boring first few hours. It happens without fail 99% of the time. On a first playthrough, it's fine. But on subsequent runs, all the stuff that happens is so basic that it numbs your brain. Basic characterization, basic gameplay, basic plot development - it's a whole lotta nothing if you have seen it before. Final Fantasy VII alone escapes this curse but P4G and many other JRPGs I truly love don't.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

I still think that Lucifer's writing was at its best in both SMT II and Nocturne.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Honestly thank god they added fast forward to P4G as I think I'd be losing my mind if I heard Nanako or Dojima tell me how nice my vegetables are when gardening yet again

And I totally agree with everyone else, weird flirting/creepyness stuff aside the investigation team makes jokes at each other's expense about as much as I remember my friend group doing back in highschool. It actually feels pretty realistic in that regard, especially considering this would have been written back in like 2007 or 6 I presume.

Down to running bad jokes into the ground pretty constantly

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Modern Persona games just have a long opening. It's unfortunate but they have to ease you into the school setting before wacky supernatural hijinks. P4 is the worst offender since P3 jumps you into the Full Moon event very early and P5 at least kinda makes it a bit shorter, but it takes a long time to get into meaty action for any of the games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zerilan posted:

He was mostly a pretty good bro to the MC but there were definitely a lot of times I wanted Kanji to just punch him.

Also I've only played p5 and p4g as far as SMT games so far (and like maybe 20% of p3 a few years back) and Kanji's definitely my favorite character so far.

If you can push passed awful gameplay, I humbly suggest Persona 2 Innocent Sin. It is truly a very, very well-written video game from many different angles. It has all the "BFFs" energy of Persona 4 but combined with a much more ambitious story with a lot of interesting themes. Not perfect, I have some strong criticism here and there, but the overall package should be seen by anybody who like SMT or Persona.

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 are very notable for their writing since that is most of the game. You walk around and talk to people more than even in Persona. It helps the characters you interact with are pretty good - better in the sequel but the overall plot is probably better in 1. They execute the typical SMT formula and ideas very well.

I love Shin Megami Tenei IV Apocalypse but that would be the most controversial recommendation. Some people positively hate it and see it as the most generic anime trash. I don't agree. I don't see how it is any more "anime" than Devil Survivor 1 which so many stan for. I thought the characters were fantastic, it had a great set of antagonists and overall just put a nice, unique spin on the typical SMT alignment system.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

This is why I an't hate him. The poo poo he did to Kanji was awful but I vividly recall me and my male friends saying things very similar back in middle and high school. It doesn't make it right but it does make me understand him and I'm just grateful he doesn't harp on it as much.

Also I was bitching about P4's romances a few weeks ago and I took it to Reddit. Somebody there said:

If this is true, this is a revelation to me and not brought up in usual discussions of P4 vs. P4G. This would seem to be an area P4 was superior.

Also I'm finally getting really started on my P4G replay. I gotta say, great game, but it absolutely falls into my expectations with the start of a JRPG. Ever since Xenosaga Episode 1 in 2003, I have come to expect a JRPG to have a very long, very boring first few hours. It happens without fail 99% of the time. On a first playthrough, it's fine. But on subsequent runs, all the stuff that happens is so basic that it numbs your brain. Basic characterization, basic gameplay, basic plot development - it's a whole lotta nothing if you have seen it before. Final Fantasy VII alone escapes this curse but P4G and many other JRPGs I truly love don't.

Most of that Reddit post is inaccurate to my knowledge

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The romance parts of the social links are probably the main think I disliked about p4g. Especially the classmates ones that end on confessions so the platonic route is basically just you walking away. (Went with Rise as my romance option in my playthrough).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm not sure what i think of the session mechanic from TMS. It's a neat twist on the usual hit weaknesses to gain extra turns deal the series has. But, it kinda goes absolutely nowhere in terms of depth. After only two or so dungeons, you have so many session skills on every character that you can pretty much hit any weakness with anyone and the game will find a way to give you a 6 (or more) hit session combo. So the mechanic pretty much ceases to exist around that point as anything you actually need to pay attention to and just becomes "you do a lot of extra damage when hitting weaknesses." In fact you can't really control what kind of session follow-ups you get even if you wanted to.

I feel like there would be several ways you could design the concept so it actually leads to combat depth but the game went for none of them. Oh well, at least it serves the purpose of making me feel really powerful and cool, which is not nothing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wark Say posted:

I still think that Lucifer's writing was at its best in both SMT II and Nocturne.

SJ has the best imo.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
mastema was also some A+ Law fuckery in SJ iirc, but I haven't played that game since 2012

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So I just beat Royal and while I like the new stuff overall I have a few questions.

Was the player supposed to understand what Jose was talking about after his boss fight or is it a teaser for future stuff? I wasn't sure if the "him" Jose was returning to was meant to be Philemon or Igor or something.

Shouldn't Mishima have gotten a session with Maruki, too? I'd forgotten how much the game shits on him.

Is Rumi stuck living a false life? Cause that's kinda hosed up no matter how "happy" she is.

I know it's nitpicky, but I just wonder what her and Maruki's mutual friends thought about everything that went down. She "breaks up with him" and then remains real committed to pretending he doesn't exist? It sounds like poo poo would be real awkward for everybody like how it was implied that things were awkward for the people who knew Sumire before Maruki "helped" her. Similarly, if she thanked the doctors for her surgery that didn't happen. I thought for sure that we'd get some scene of her remembering his name or her name appearing on his caller id, but after the final boss the game just kinda ends the same as vanilla P5 except for white day/Maruki is now a taxi driver.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Gundam thread is talking about Linkin Park and I just realized for the first time that LP and Persona would go together great. Just listen to te\he lyrics for Numb and tell me that doesn't sound like Persona to a T.

Anyway, I forgot P4 had your party members gain special abilities as their S Links increased just like P5.

P3 didn't have that, did it? I don't think it did. That's a pretty big improvement and probably one of the many reasons the post-P3 games are generally easier. That and Rise and Futaba being broken as hell compared to poor Fuuka which is more of the same thing. I don't even particularly like Rise or Futaba but I absolutely maxed their S Links for those sweet rewards. Perhaps one reason everybody gives zero shits about Fuuka is that, in addition to just being bland as all hell, you don't even get anything from doing her S Link.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The Gundam thread is talking about Linkin Park and I just realized for the first time that LP and Persona would go together great. Just listen to te\he lyrics for Numb and tell me that doesn't sound like Persona to a T.

Anyway, I forgot P4 had your party members gain special abilities as their S Links increased just like P5.

P3 didn't have that, did it? I don't think it did. That's a pretty big improvement and probably one of the many reasons the post-P3 games are generally easier. That and Rise and Futaba being broken as hell compared to poor Fuuka which is more of the same thing. I don't even particularly like Rise or Futaba but I absolutely maxed their S Links for those sweet rewards. Perhaps one reason everybody gives zero shits about Fuuka is that, in addition to just being bland as all hell, you don't even get anything from doing her S Link.

A good chunk of the cast were not Social Links in P3 classic. They only are in P3P.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

A good chunk of the cast were not Social Links in P3 classic. They only are in P3P.

To clarify, none of the dudes were SLs, all the girls were because something something harem ending.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

To clarify, none of the dudes were SLs, all the girls were because something something harem ending.

Honestly the most bs part about social links in P3 is that you can't even rank 10 any of the lady social links without it being a romance. You literally have no choice in the matter as far as I remember.

I think that's something they fixed in P3P, but only for the lady main character?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was very much the case with P3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Honestly the most bs part about social links in P3 is that you can't even rank 10 any of the lady social links without it being a romance. You literally have no choice in the matter as far as I remember.

I think that's something they fixed in P3P, but only for the lady main character?

Pretty much yeah (thank goodness too because imagine being forced to romance Ken). It's incredibly dumb that you don't even have the option to save Shinjiro in P3P as a dude.