Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cold on a Cob posted:

we gonna have another march-style crash or is all the mass death and negative earnings priced in now?

this loving market, idk man

it'll be a rumbling first just like 2007 followed by a sudden seizure like in 2008. the rumblings were already beginning last year with the fed bailing out the overnight repo market but eventually you'll hear of banks having solvency issues due to the rotting mortgage and corporate debt markets. you may have a bank failure or two that's handled quickly but eventually the big one will hit and the system will seize

or maybe number will go up who knows don't listen to me i'm a dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

grocery prices have absolutely gone up in my experience.

Is beef roast not suppose to cost $9/pound?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I wonder if the meat prices is just for stuff that has to butchered by a person at some point. bone-in chicken is still about the same price

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it's basically a price fixing thing

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My guess is that beef is so expensive because a lot of it is being exported to countries that don't have the enormous swaths of pastureland that America has, whereas they might have the space for sufficient chicken and pig farms.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/1283503620709851137?s=21

holy poo poo lmaololol

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

man how loving stupid are these scammers. open a massive short position on tsla, then send a tweet from his account saying “our engineers have determined that level 5 self driving is impossible, we will be cancelling all ai research immediately. i’m so sorry.” bing bong bong you’re a millionaire rather than having a meagre pile of bitcoin thieved from the dumbest people alive

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

punished milkman posted:

man how loving stupid are these scammers. open a massive short position on tsla, then send a tweet from his account saying “our engineers have determined that level 5 self driving is impossible, we will be cancelling all ai research immediately. i’m so sorry.” bing bong bong you’re a millionaire rather than having a meagre pile of bitcoin thieved from the dumbest people alive

the best part will be when the hackers try to anonymize their bitcoins via a coin tumbler and they get exit-scammed

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

punished milkman posted:

lol nah just scrape Elon's DMs and demand $50M.

also reset his ignore list.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

punished milkman posted:

that scheme gets you nuked by the sec for crimes against rich people (the worst kind of crimes)

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Imagine hacking Bill Gates' Twitter account and not posting "IT'S TRUE - I CAN READ YOUR MINDS AND WISH DEATH ON AMERICA - GET VACCINATED"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

punished milkman posted:

theres a good 50/50 chance that this gets parsed as cutting costs and sends the stock up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why do these hackers never grab and post the DMs? Lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

just say something racist about apartheid and then watch nobody believe elon saying that he was hacked

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god they got roger stone jr.

https://twitter.com/GetRogerStoneJR/status/1283512205351088128

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lol

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington posted:

Why do these hackers never grab and post the DMs? Lmao
Shouting blackmail material from the rooftops kind of defeats the purpose of acquiring said blackmail material.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

punished milkman posted:

Make fake tweet that Musk is resigning and Grimes will be taking over as CEO.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

punished milkman posted:

yeah lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Time to buy the dip on TWTR

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

there was never any crash in march. Number has never descended in its existence. you are spreading heresy and deceit

number sits on the golden throne and daily thousands are sacrificed to ever keep it from descending.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yeah there's no way this was just a bitcoin scam, that's way too much power to waste on a dumb thing like that

i bet that money's just gonna sit in that account

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Dustcat posted:

yeah there's no way this was just a bitcoin scam, that's way too much power to waste on a dumb thing like that

just because you're talented enough to infiltrate twitter doesn't mean you're smart in other categories

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

punished milkman posted:

a "massive short position" opened shortly prior to this going out would be spotted by the SEC. bitcoin is less traceable (still traceable ofc) than that.

even if you did it smartly like opening a bunch of spreads or something like that it'd still get checked into.

of course the SEC has been basically vacated these days so who knows

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1283521076404736001

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

a "massive short position" opened shortly prior to this going out would be spotted by the SEC. bitcoin is less traceable (still traceable ofc) than that.

even if you did it smartly like opening a bunch of spreads or something like that it'd still get checked into.

i mean in any other circumstance i'd agree with you but tsla in particular probably buys you a good enough excuse for the courts

not to mention they'd have to single you out from everyone else who's been shorting

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah a position on tesla would be pretty justified now. "hey, i just got lucky!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's currently got shorts equaling what, a third of its total market value or something?

ofc you could also just 'buy the dip'

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dustcat posted:

some of the largest botnet attacks ever performed were for the sole purpose of taking down minecraft servers.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1283522577340731403

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i am really curious how they managed to break into so many big name accounts. makes me think it’s some weird twitter posting exploit and didn’t actually involve compromised credentials. i’m impressed either way

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Dustcat posted:

There is a reason that people don't hack things like these people in that they draw way too much attention when posting under elon musks tweets as elon musk are nearly as effective. Though maybe this is a signal posting under the tweets aren't good making enough money anymore.

Either way, the people who hack this poo poo is people who don't give a gently caress so they obviously aren't going to mastermind some ridiculous superman 1 mega brain hack, they just trying to grind gold for their bosses. I.e these are organized crime units grinding out a living, not some big plot.

As for blackmail that part has already been worked if these accounts are burned like this.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

punished milkman posted:

i am really curious how they managed to break into so many big name accounts. makes me think it’s some weird twitter posting exploit and didn’t actually involve compromised credentials. i’m impressed either way

probably employee panel thing and changing recovery email and then resetting the password.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
probably just hit every account with the password weedfart69.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

punished milkman posted:

because the stock could very easily go up (and they're really good at identifying these tricks when retail traders do it)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

punished milkman posted:

they got into a backend system that has access to all accounts

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Someone manipulating the market without having the proper connections and without giving oligarchs a taste is definitely something the SEC would pursue to the ends of the Earth. It’s our sandbox, only we can ratfuck it

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they got into a backend system that has access to all accounts

oh so they probably only got third party posting access like on tweetdeck or whatever

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Someone manipulating the market without having the proper connections and without giving oligarchs a taste is definitely something the SEC would pursue to the ends of the Earth. It’s our sandbox, only we can ratfuck it

yeah a couple years back the SEC went after an Amazon employee who bought pre earning options and pocketed under $100k and I don't believe Amazon was the one who discovered it, but rather some algorithm. The only way to do this is through shady chinese companies or if you're connected to bigwigs at GS

There was a bunch of absolutely insane TSLA calls several years back in the leadup of Tencent disclosing that they had bought a large quantity of shares. Was done through a shady CCP connected broker lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Dustcat posted:

trump has almost unchecked power in his hands and the best he can do is scam the secret service for hotel fees