Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AntherUslessPoster posted:

This is how you get lost civilisations on disabled starships.
Imagine the bridge blows off with all officers on board, warp core gets a breach and is ejected and subspace comsm are down? The ship is drifting through emptiness of space till it crashes somewhere... with or without regressed to cannibalism inhabitants

I mean the Galaxy has like 40 shuttles across three bays. Not to mention hundreds of escape pods all with their own distress beacons. I imagine the J would be way more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Veotax posted:

I remember reading at one point that Enterprise wanted to do a crossover with the Dr Who revival which started around that time, but it ended up falling through.

Though that could be complete bullshit.

The time-pod in Future Tense was an intentional reference, and Russel T. Davies has said he would have been down for a formal crossover, but Enterprise went off the air just as Dr. Who started up again. I imagine getting the BBC and CBS getting to actually agree to anything would have been a nightmare anyway.

(And thank God for that; I can't imagine it being anything other than pure distilled fanwank.)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

MikeJF posted:

Concept idea for the Defiant's mission patch

(and the one they went with:

)

These both own bigtime

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MikeJF posted:

I mean the Galaxy has like 40 shuttles across three bays. Not to mention hundreds of escape pods all with their own distress beacons. I imagine the J would be way more.

There are always some variables, stellar parasite-induced amnesia etc etc etc.
OTOH I imagine there are more failsafes than on 24th century starships, with several levels of conscious Emergency X Holograms across all decks etc.
But again that's trek and we are living in it's darkest age yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If Trek did a crossover with Dr Who i would never watch Trek again

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

Concept idea for the Defiant's mission patch

(and the one they went with:

)

Was this actually seen on screen?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Production team having just stolen these from the dumpster out back during the set teardown of TNG

Those ended up in Ronald D. Moore's possession. A few years ago he finally got them mounted on his living room wall.

https://twitter.com/RonDMoore/status/601911511821324288

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Though I still think it makes sense that so far in the future (assuming they don't go for a societal/technological collapse storyline which I kind of assume they will :( ) that ships would just be giant holodecks without traditional physical structures for most of the ship—outside of warp and replicator tech.

This is basically the GSVs (General Systems Vehicle, in practice an entire city with FTL drives) from the Culture series. They've got a nominal physical hull in case the ship ever needs to shut down for some reason, but in normal operation almost everything is done with elaborate force fields, including entire ship areas constructed entirely out of field effects.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Angry Salami posted:

The time-pod in Future Tense was an intentional reference, and Russel T. Davies has said he would have been down for a formal crossover, but Enterprise went off the air just as Dr. Who started up again. I imagine getting the BBC and CBS getting to actually agree to anything would have been a nightmare anyway.

(And thank God for that; I can't imagine it being anything other than pure distilled fanwank.)

It’s wild that Doctor Who started back up as Enterprise was ending, because the first few seasons of the revival look and feel like it was made in 1997.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Those ended up in Ronald D. Moore's possession. A few years ago he finally got them mounted on his living room wall.

I think that is the concept for the Enterprise C that they never used, right

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

A formal crossover would've been awful but a children in need special would've been great.

Roadie posted:

This is basically the GSVs (General Systems Vehicle, in practice an entire city with FTL drives) from the Culture series. They've got a nominal physical hull in case the ship ever needs to shut down for some reason, but in normal operation almost everything is done with elaborate force fields, including entire ship areas constructed entirely out of field effects.

Eh, the main structure of the ship that people actually walk around is matter, they just use fields a lot to move and temporarily project things and actually hold the matter together under all the stresses. The 'hull' is open with windows and balconies and gaps (and generally a landscape on top); the only actual thing keeping the air in is always just the outer field envelope, which is usually about twice the radius of the actual physical ship. A GSV considers the edge of its field envelope the edge of its body.

(And of course a Systems Class GSV isn't even a discrete unit so much as hundreds of floating islands inside a 200km field bubble, but they're the extreme case).

I've never really seen a satisfying depiction of a GSV, to be honest.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I'm having a brain fart or something, but is that Connie, A/refit, B, C and D?

e: I'm having a real brain fart because my original question was "is the top one the E (as seen on that episode before the E existed)"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm having a brain fart or something, but is that Connie, A/refit, B, C and D?

e: I'm having a real brain fart because my original question was "is the top one the E (as seen on that episode before the E existed)"

Yes, though it was before the Ambassador design was finalized for the Enterprise-C, and before Generations made the -B an Excelsior variant with the big bulging things on the deflector dish.

And CVN-65, which is ... certainly an inclusion, considering the Enterprise itself was named after that ship's WW2 predecessor, CV-6.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I wonder when the decision was made that the B would be an Excelsior-class

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, that's the Probert ambassador. 3D model of his sketches:

It incorporates elements of both the Excelsior and Galaxy, the same as the actual Ambassador, but just... differently. A bit closer to the actual Galaxy. They never thought they'd have to actually show it onscreen, and when they did the design was too difficult to actually machine in a reasonable time for a week-to-week episode (the complex curves of the Enterprise-D itself took ILM, a long time and a lot of money to build) so Sternbach made a more geometrical take on it.

Drone posted:

And CVN-65, which is ... certainly an inclusion, considering the Enterprise itself was named after that ship's WW2 predecessor, CV-6.

To be fair, you can kinda justify it with more distance from WWII. CV-6 was important for an old war. CVN-65 was the first ship with a reactor!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 16, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Drone posted:

In TMP, the rec deck on the Enterprise had a picture of the space shuttle Enterprise, which was named for the very same fictional Enterprise on which the characters are standing. :tinfoil:

Cross-Section posted:

I wonder when the decision was made that the B would be an Excelsior-class

If I'm remembering the order of things right, many fans started speculating that 1701-B would be an Excelsior after ST6. In that movie, we found out the fate of the A (decommissioning), and the USS Excelsior (originally something of an antagonist ship) had been thoroughly redeemed under Captain Sulu. Very soon after, it turned up in official (if not quite canonical) materials like the TNG technical reference book. But it wasn't "official" until the B appeared onscreen in Generations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

CVN-65 was the first ship with a reactor!

Also instrumental in saving Earth from the whale probe, when you think about it.

I bet Kirk omitted that part from his report though. Woulda made for an awkward scene explaining it to the C-in-C:

"Jim, you mean to tell me that not only did you steal the starship Enterprise, but you went back in time and stole poo poo from THAT Enterprise too?" :facepalm:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

I've never really seen a satisfying depiction of a GSV, to be honest.

I always figured that from the outside they'd just look like an ovoid because you just see the outermost field, and from inside the field they'd be however the gently caress the individual Mind(s) running the show wanted to indulge their whims. We had the example of how Sleeper Service dressed its exterior in Excession, and it seemed pretty unique in a way that implied that GSVs consider their exteriors to be a work of art.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wasn’t the original plan to have the Excelsior be renamed the Enterprise at the end of ST4?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Powered Descent posted:

In TMP, the rec deck on the Enterprise had a picture of the space shuttle Enterprise, which was named for the very same fictional Enterprise on which the characters are standing. :tinfoil:

:psyduck:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Voyager rewatch log
We're getting into a stretch that has a lot of "put on Voyager in the background and do something else" energy. I'm just going to mention a few.

S5 e22 11:59
Probably the least interesting episode of the entire franchise.

E23 Relativity
Time travel episodes are fun. Seven episodes are good. This is both good and fun. Also Jeri Ryan should have refused to wear the catsuit after this episode.

E25 and S6 e1 Equinox
Voyager meets with a starfleet ship that wasn't crewed by Protagonists. They decided that murder was the solution to being so far from the Alpha Quadrant.

The two parter wasn't bad but it sort of feels like the start of the "making hard decisions" down slide the series has taken.

S6 e4 Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy
A fun episode but again you learn there is basically no privacy on a starfleet ship especially if they can just hook your thoughts up to the holodeck. I feel bad for the Doctor.

S6 Riddles
Tim Russ gives a great performance.

S10 Pathfinder
Fun fact: Barclay is in more episodes of Voyager than TNG.
It was neat to see him and Troi again.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Man this is a lot of Voyager per day for one person. I'm getting concerned. I'm prescribing you one viewing of Take me out to the Holodeck per every 7 eps.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Powered Descent posted:

That's rad. Also they're way bigger than I thought.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn’t the original plan to have the Excelsior be renamed the Enterprise at the end of ST4?

It wasn't going to be renamed, but the crew was going to be moved over to the Excelsior (and there are DC-era comics to this effect). Gene Roddenberry pitched the mother of all loving fits and leaked it to the fanzines (as he did with Spock's death and the Enterprise's destruction), so the decision was made to fake out audiences with the Excelsior followed by the surprise shot of NCC-1701-A.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Man this is a lot of Voyager per day for one person. I'm getting concerned. I'm prescribing you one viewing of Take me out to the Holodeck per every 7 eps.

I'm on a 5 day weekend from work and voyager doesn't require me to engage higher brain functions. It's not the only thing that I'm doing but this isn't my daily journal.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
it's ok you're talking to someone who binged like 5 seasons of MTV's Catfish show in a week during quarantine

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

If I'm remembering the order of things right, many fans started speculating that 1701-B would be an Excelsior after ST6. In that movie, we found out the fate of the A (decommissioning), and the USS Excelsior (originally something of an antagonist ship) had been thoroughly redeemed under Captain Sulu. Very soon after, it turned up in official (if not quite canonical) materials like the TNG technical reference book. But it wasn't "official" until the B appeared onscreen in Generations.

ST6 came out during TNG though, so after those ship models had been made.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, the J is rad. I hope we get to see more of it on screen down the line and it's not just ignored completely. I can see the Disco team being able to evolve that design in really interesting ways if they pick up the design cues from it for season 3 ships. Though I still think it makes sense that so far in the future (assuming they don't go for a societal/technological collapse storyline which I kind of assume they will :( ) that ships would just be giant holodecks without traditional physical structures for most of the ship—outside of warp and replicator tech. Might make the series feel too much like fantasy, though, so I'd get why they might not want to go that way.

If Star Trek has taught us anything it's that you should never rely on the Holodeck. poo poo, even if you just want to use it for Sherlock Holmes Adventurers or to drink in a sixties night club it fucks up everything. Now you need it for your basic functions while another ship is bombarding you with Tachyon Torpedoes or whatever?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Speaking of holodeck poo poo

Voyager S6 e11 Fair Haven
Ooch, Tommy boy, we really hafta address Star Trek's problems with depictions of the oirish!

Gee, I'm really glad we get Irish village instead of more captain proton or something fun.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
did it really take 6 season for Janeway to start her dumb irish village romance novel episodes?

Edit: drat it did, but there's only 2? I thought there were more

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 16, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

ST6 came out during TNG though, so after those ship models had been made.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

11:59 and the two Irish holodeck episodes are some of the worst in all of Trek

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's 11:59? *googles* what that episode is great. it's not super Star Trek, but it's great in its own way as a human question about space and possibility.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

What's 11:59? *googles* what that episode is great. it's not super Star Trek, but it's great in its own way as a human question about space and possibility.
It’s probably the dullest Trek episode I can think of

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if You've Got Mail but Janeway's ancestor

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i like grandma janeway's bookstore adventure

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hate the Ent-J because it's so obviously not designed from the mindset of "the Starfleet design lineage taken to the nth degree" but "the NX taken to the nth degree" and the NX is dumb and the Akira is dumb and if I could time travel I'd punch everyone who worked on First Contact in their stupid nerd faces.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, that's the Probert ambassador. 3D model of his sketches:

It incorporates elements of both the Excelsior and Galaxy, the same as the actual Ambassador, but just... differently. A bit closer to the actual Galaxy. They never thought they'd have to actually show it onscreen, and when they did the design was too difficult to actually machine in a reasonable time for a week-to-week episode (the complex curves of the Enterprise-D itself took ILM, a long time and a lot of money to build) so Sternbach made a more geometrical take on it.

Now there's a bloody starship.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a lot to like in that design that streamlines and upgrades a lot of things, but I just can't get behind any ship with that terrible Excelsior-style accordion ribbing on the neck. And that secondary hull is just way too wide, even though that's true of so many ships post-TNG.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 17, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The Galaxy profile on the circular saucer is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I rewatched ST09 for the first time in ages today and I maintain that it's a flawed but ultimately solid and fun intro for that version of the TOS cast. Giacchino's score is still the best part though, and having it take center stage over the last Kelvin scene was such a great choice. Not afraid to admit that that scene chokes me up every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxbJJ995Vjo