Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone else get weird graphics glitches on some shifts? I’ll start and a bunch of things will be totally blacked out.

The fix for that is to rotate your view, if that doesn't work you'll have to restart. It's still early access...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The thing I don't get about the timer is that it's redundant with tool health. You could effectively limit shifts and prioritize efficiency by just having tools break when they get to 0% health, which would also let the player take their time with planning and allow you to give more time by just giving tool health upgrades ala tethers. As it stands these two mechanics don't make much sense together and I'm not sure what the intent with both of them being in game is. The timer-free mode really makes this shine too imo, since you're still fairly limited by tool health.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm getting really good at blindly sniping the power cell lol

Tool damage seems to not matter at all right now, at 3% my cutter seems to be identical to 100%

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RBA Starblade posted:

A final upgrade to the scanner that provides an Augmented Reality view of the systems and components would be super helpful.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
The only noticeable difference to damaged tools, aside from smoke, is the split saw will push you back a little harder with more damage.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you know that the mouse wheel controls scanner modes? The power cell is super visible in several of them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chev posted:

Do you know that the mouse wheel controls scanner modes? The power cell is super visible in several of them.

Yeah but I always assume "it won't be THIS panel" and then it is :v:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
There is no way you full buffalo a hard ship or higher end gecko in 15 min ( cue video proving me wrong)

There needs to be a compromise between shift cost and what you leave on the table, but it is a step in the right direction. Someone said above it's basically $50k a minute.? Go as long as you want, just get charged in perpetuity. Still not seeing a s
Reason to take any longer to remove anything but reactor and big ticket items , then just spawning a new ship , but liking the updates so far

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Roundboy posted:

There is no way you full buffalo a hard ship or higher end gecko in 15 min ( cue video proving me wrong)

Ask and ye shall receive. Make sure to turn on the captions, that's where the commentary is.

To be fair, however, the work orders are pretty sloppy, and a lot go unfulfilled, but that wasn't the point of this video. The point was "gut and recycle a Gecko for as much money as possible in a single shift," and once you've unlocked everything, work orders don't mean anything.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
If you mostly ignore work orders you can 'whole buffalo' the gecko. Transport and industrial.

If you just want big ticket items as fast as possible you can get the industrial reactor out ($3m) and yourself back in the hab in under a minute. For the transport you can pull the reactor, ECU, engines, nacelles, and power generator out in about 4 minutes for $5m. For grinding work orders the hard mackeral can have all work orders filled in 10 minutes but for only ~$3m.

Almost Whole buffalo,

This bad boy can deep fry a buffalo in 30 seconds,

It is

Effectively failed but still a win

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 12, 2020

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got this game like a week ago, I've done a mackerel or two per day and slowly been getting the hang of it. Did my first gecko - the light transport one - today and jesus gently caress things got big. Took like five shifts to pull the sucker apart while figuring out where everything was but I had fun and made some dosh.

This game does a great job of satisfying that building itch for me, I used to love capturing AI ships in Space Engineers, figure out where all the traps and stuff was and reverse-engineer them. Amusingly enough my wife watched me gut a mackerel and described the whole game as 'Viscera Cleanup Detail with spaceships' and she's not really too far off.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I always lol that the only two airlocks out of the industrial ship are either side of the reactor, in front of the large cache of fuel tanks.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Heffer posted:

I always lol that the only two airlocks out of the industrial ship are either side of the reactor, in front of the large cache of fuel tanks.
You can tell why they've decided to scrap these ships and move on to more modern models.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think one of the audio logs or some Weaver chatter actually covers the real reason: the FTL gates got upgraded, but all these old ships can't handle the stress of the new transit system, so Lynx Corporation bought up a shitload of them on the cheap so they or their indentured servantshired contractors can break them down for parts.

The fact that these ships are poorly constructed death traps is completely unrelated, and if you think the new ships aren't also poorly constructed death traps, I envy your innocence. :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
At least they were thoughtful enough to put a thin aluminum wall and some glass between the passengers and the reactor.on the transport version.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MechaCrash posted:

I think one of the audio logs or some Weaver chatter actually covers the real reason: the FTL gates got upgraded, but all these old ships can't handle the stress of the new transit system, so Lynx Corporation bought up a shitload of them on the cheap so they or their indentured servantshired contractors can break them down for parts.

The fact that these ships are poorly constructed death traps is completely unrelated, and if you think the new ships aren't also poorly constructed death traps, I envy your innocence. :v:

Not FTL- they basically shoot the ships out of a rail gun at insane speeds to go to other planets.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, humanity in this game haven't left the solar system. Getting into orbit at all is still stupidly expensive, and once there the only way to get anywhere outside earth orbit in a reasonable timeframe is to get launched out of the railgun station and into a series of accelerator gates along the trajectory to your destination planet, each one adding a jolt of 50g acceleration (or de-acceleration after the halfway point). It's a railway in space.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Orbits don't work like that though :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
No but its cool

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This guys is way better than I am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFnjVLOx0c

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It looks like some physics bug caused the stern to move off as soon as it became detached. Normally you need a ton of tethers to move all three stern pieces as a whole, so it doesn't seem like a reliable trick to use.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
You can move a large mass just by grappling something unattached, such as a chair or anything, and place it against the object and lightly swinging your grapple in the direction you want the mass to go. It's a physics bug issue.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 18, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I like to smash the 600 kg keel pieces full force into the heavier stuff.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

dev vlog talking about the upcoming patch, most of it is spent not talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T192bslrx1g&feature=emb_title

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 16, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is anyone getting weird problems with the Gecko reactor? When I use the utility key it triggers an immediate meltdown.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Is anyone getting weird problems with the Gecko reactor? When I use the utility key it triggers an immediate meltdown.

It shouldn't be going into meltdown unless you either cut the coolant or pull the reactor from it's casing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Back Hack posted:

dev vlog talking about the upcoming patch, most of it is spent not talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T192bslrx1g&feature=emb_title

Science vessel sounds neat, but I really hope we get militarized ships at some point. Preferably with live ordnance still onboard.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

So Brazil clearcut everything and then dammed up the Amazon river to create a freshwater inland sea for farming.
Florida is underwater, nearly everything on the coast is underwater or desert.

How far into the future is this game? 5 years? 4?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

RBA-Wintrow posted:

So Brazil clearcut everything and then dammed up the Amazon river to create a freshwater inland sea for farming.
Florida is underwater, nearly everything on the coast is underwater or desert.

How far into the future is this game? 5 years? 4?

Its desertification and sea level rise as a result of global warming. You can see the submerged land masses where you'd expect them to be, in a lighter color, more shallow blue.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You can find an audio log about how the coasts of Georgia and Alabama have really choice diving tourism to see Florida if you're willing to brave the super hurricanes.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So how do you handle depressurizing all the rooms on a Gecko? I depressurize the main room, but all the other rooms are still full. I've tried opening all the doors before triggering the atmospheric controller, but they all close and isolate rooms once I switch it on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bloody Pom posted:

Science vessel sounds neat, but I really hope we get militarized ships at some point. Preferably with live ordnance still onboard.

I would buy a Homeworld ship DLC in a heartbeat. Slicing up an assault frigate or a carrier would kick insane amounts of rear end.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Travic posted:

So how do you handle depressurizing all the rooms on a Gecko? I depressurize the main room, but all the other rooms are still full. I've tried opening all the doors before triggering the atmospheric controller, but they all close and isolate rooms once I switch it on.

Opening a door will give you a gust of air but not cause a catastrophic decompression. Basically depressurize the main area, then open each door in turn. Use the x button to hold on to the wall. Don't forget to depressurize the airlocks.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would buy a Homeworld ship DLC in a heartbeat. Slicing up an assault frigate or a carrier would kick insane amounts of rear end.

That's why I hope for steam workshop support. All that beautiful unlicensed content created by fans.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You need to be slightly careful when opening doors in a Gecko as cargo crates can get launched into valuable salvage. Open doors with floating junk first so they hopefully bounce off another door instead of the engine console or bottles of fuel on the wall.

A popular alternative to full venting is to leave the airlocks and cockpit pressurized so you can nick them open and let explosive decompression detach them from the outer hull.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Heffer posted:

That's why I hope for steam workshop support. All that beautiful unlicensed content created by fans.

I legit am excited for workshop support and the chance to maybe make a ship or two for some people to rip apart. I'm sure all the big name sci-fi series ships will quickly be added; things like the Star Trek tech manuals where they detail where all the little systems are in the ship will feed some interesting designs.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Travic posted:

I've found the safest and most useful approach to be to pressurize the main room, then head into the crawlspace and from there vaporize the floor of the other pressurized rooms from below with the stinger head. Once done, head back to the main room and depressurize it again. The added benefit is that with the floor gone you'll have easy access to move the content down to the barge once you've peeled off the outer hull.

Destroying doors directly seem to cause atmospheric controls in adjacent rooms to stop working, and partial cuts in walls will cause that wall to catastrophically fail if the pressure state on one side at any time doesn't match the other.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Heffer posted:

Opening a door will give you a gust of air but not cause a catastrophic decompression. Basically depressurize the main area, then open each door in turn. Use the x button to hold on to the wall. Don't forget to depressurize the airlocks.

OK. I was hoping there was some trick. I opened a room and a box flew by and hit the ECU triggering a meltdown. Just bad luck.

On a lighter note I've gotten into the habit of putting my character's right hand on the left airlock door and vice versa and watching it glitch out when the door opens.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
The safest and quickest way is split-saw the door and move to the side. You don't stand in front of a raging bull after all. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FozfsiTim2o

a few quick examples,

Edit: It's not really safe, you can see the ECU exploded from the airlock debris either directly or through damaged electronics exploding. Possibly fuel cells, I wasn't paying that close attention to what was being destroyed.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 17, 2020