Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SolarFire2 posted:

https://www.latimes.com/california/...online-learning

Online learning is a joke, is there a plan C?

Improve online learning. Implement free municipal internet for students and their families. Distribute student tablets or laptops as needed. These are certainly resolvable issues. It's not a surprise that a new system developed in a couple of weeks struggles to completely replace an old one, particularly when so many things are being changed. They just need time and resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Online instruction is inherently sucky because kids that age really can't handle the College-style lecture powerpoint thing.

It's also lovely for the educator that has to re-learn classroom management skills to deal with poo poo like ZoomBombs, or try and teach to a sea of BLACK SCREEN USER NAME.

The access issues can be worked on in the way that LAUSD just loaned all the laptops and iPads they had on hand and negotiated a no-cost hotspot loan from TMobile or whatever. But that doesn't help much if you're in a Studio/1bd with an elementary school sibling and a drunk dad and poo poo.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Anyone else notice the loving reusable bags law seems to have disappeared into the abyss

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Is Caltrain gonna die up in SF? that sucks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Admiral Ray posted:

Is Caltrain gonna die up in SF? that sucks.

Pretty sure SMART train is gonna get hosed aswell.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Yes but it is ok because we’re replacing them with means-tested refundable tax credits for children, seniors, and people with qualifying disabilities to use uber or lyft in its stead

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Centrist Committee posted:

Yes but it is ok because we’re replacing them with means-tested refundable tax credits for children, seniors, and people with qualifying disabilities to use uber or lyft in its stead

Do I also get a one time drinking Gavin Newsoms wine enterprises sponsored zinfandel as a car passenger ticket

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Pretty sure SMART train is gonna get hosed aswell.

SMART still has funding through 2029, so its gonna stick around at least that long

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Centrist Committee posted:

Yeah, the pandemic is all the excuse our leaders need to permanently dismantle the social safety net and usher in a bright new future: desperate tent cities huddled around their gated mansion communities, with armies of cops and prisoner-firefighters to protect their assets. :nutshot:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fly Molo posted:

Yeah, the pandemic is all the excuse our leaders need to permanently dismantle the social safety net and usher in a bright new future: desperate tent cities huddled around their gated mansion communities, with armies of cops and prisoner-firefighters to protect their assets. :nutshot:

Did I walk into the libertarian thread on stormfront again

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

nah, just talking about how public transportation is getting gutted, since armies of cops are more essential.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Spend a lot of time on Stormfront, huh?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Fly Molo posted:

if u wanna plan for the future, save up to buy a nice all season tent with a generous vestibule for ur remaining personal property.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's a bizzare situation. One of SF's Supervisors (of the district I live in, even) sits on the Board of the org that runs Caltrain, and he seems to be trying to hold out for a change to that board? The other supervisors apparently hadn't heard about the measure before the meeting, which i think is fair.

https://twitter.com/seamlessbayarea/status/1283511209887625217

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Anyone else notice the loving reusable bags law seems to have disappeared into the abyss
Yeah, I figured one-time use or disposable plastics would make a comeback when the Rona started since no one's gonna trust that your Whole Foods canvas bag is clean.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Friend has symptoms, and is high risk. She can't get a test anywhere in orange county. What the gently caress is going on?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Friend has symptoms, and is high risk. She can't get a test anywhere in orange county. What the gently caress is going on?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

orange county.

e. but seriously look for free testing sites within driving distance and tell them to hoof it to a county that actually has its poo poo together to get tested.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
None of the testing sites were open last I checked at the start of the week.

I figured it was federal funds drying up.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Can you even get tested outside of your county?

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Did she already check here?
https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/supersite

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Seems so, found out she's trying to find rapid testing sites.

Right now regular tests are 6 days for appointment and 10 days for results. This blew up fast. A couple of months ago I was able to get in same day and get the results in 2.

Its really important that she finds out sooner than later, her comorbidies will really gently caress her up with this.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
/\/\/\ I have observed the same pattern with testing times.

It seems like the state is making new guidelines that will limit testing again to specific groups of high-risk people:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-changes-its-covid-19-testing-strategy-cases-surge-n1233963

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2020-07-15/california-revamps-testing-guidelines-as-virus-surges

Testing backlogs have gotten huge as the state is testing 100,000 people a day and waiting times for results are running at 2 weeks in some cases. The labs handling these backlogs (and backlogs of other states) are swamped and the state is trying to expand the number of labs processing tests.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 16, 2020

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Just saw that she has to test in her own county. Rapid tests aren't covered by insurance and are "too much" as she put it. So loving now what?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Just saw that she has to test in her own county. Rapid tests aren't covered by insurance and are "too much" as she put it. So loving now what?

Where is this place offering "rapid testing" and how much does it cost? Sorry, I wasn't aware of this before. Maybe the goon fund could help out.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Not sure if it's any help but I did see this today too:
https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/services/covid-19-testing

Orange County locations providing testing starting Thursday are:

1035 N. Magnolia Ave., Anaheim;
1700 W. Whittier Blvd,, La Habra;
2300 Harbor Blvd. Suite G, Costa Mesa; and
30551 Gateway Place, Rancho Mission Viejo.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Good to know about the above.

Okay she finally told me how much it is. 125. Which is way way cheaper than I thought. A friend and I are splitting the bill for her. So I think we got it covered. Thanks everyone.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Good to know about the above.

Okay she finally told me how much it is. 125. Which is way way cheaper than I thought. A friend and I are splitting the bill for her. So I think we got it covered. Thanks everyone.

They're charging like $250+ in florida right now

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Assume she has it, quarantine until symptoms gone for 2 weeks, go to ER if having difficulty getting enough oxygen.
If she has a job that forces her to work unless she has a positive test, :confused:

Testing for non-severe cases is for getting people to actually quarantine and epidemiology, it doesn't change how they are treated.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Also if anyone has access to a pulse oximeter, it might be good to have ready to detect any issues with her lungs.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

:911:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

I grew up in Kern County and left convinced it was the worst part of the state and I have not changed my mind but god drat if Orange keeps trying.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 17, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

:wtc: Mine was $15 in San Mateo County CA. loving Florida.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sundae posted:

:wtc: Mine was $15 in San Mateo County CA. loving Florida.

:wtc: :wtc: Mine was FREE in Santa Clara, I just walked into a nearby library, gave them my info, got tested, walked out. There was some fine print that they might charge the cost to my insurance if I have any, but that my insurance wouldn't be allowed to pass that cost down to me.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sydin posted:

:wtc: :wtc: Mine was FREE in Santa Clara, I just walked into a nearby library, gave them my info, got tested, walked out. There was some fine print that they might charge the cost to my insurance if I have any, but that my insurance wouldn't be allowed to pass that cost down to me.

Mine was at a private clinic same-day unscheduled, so maybe that was my “gently caress You, Gentrifier“ upcharge. :shrug: But still, $250 to get tested for whether you’re a public health risk or not? Fuckkkk.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I should point out that $250 is to skip the line for the free ones, which are incredibly backed up because they never increased capacity.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It was done via executive order back at the end of april along with a grab bag of other things like suspending expiration of IDs/Driver Licenses.
https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/N-54-20-COVID-19-text-4.22.20.pdf
60 day suspension. There's probably been a new executive order since then extending all or most of this.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Foxfire_ posted:

Assume she has it, quarantine until symptoms gone for 2 weeks, go to ER if having difficulty getting enough oxygen.
If she has a job that forces her to work unless she has a positive test, :confused:

Testing for non-severe cases is for getting people to actually quarantine and epidemiology, it doesn't change how they are treated.

She's been isolated due to her comorbidities, works for Disney as well, so no work either. She only goes out to get food or other essentials. It's so frustrating when someone tries their hardest and then people are out there loving it up for her.
She has a pulse oximeter.

The appointment for the rapid test is tomorrow. She's got roommates that don't really go out as well but I don't know their situation. She's holed up for now. Symptoms for 3 days so far and getting worse.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It's the SF pols who make the biggest loving show of being woke and leftier-than-thou that are killing Caltrain too. What a loving joke.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We're talking about the San Francisco Board of Supervisors: you'll have to be more specific.

More seriously, I assume from the actual events you mean Peskin and Walton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Them among others. Some of the 48 hills crowd are defending it as well. What a loving disgrace to have self proclaimed progressives/leftists in favor of cutting transit. This tweet sums up the whole debacle better than I could, honestly:

https://twitter.com/daguilarcanabal/status/1283806973394219008