Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Irish episode is bad for a variety of reasons but Janeway using the holodeck exactly like everyone always uses it and that being treated as some ethical thing was always weird. Even the doctor should recognize that random characters are not the same as he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched ST09 for the first time in ages today and I maintain that it's a flawed but ultimately solid and fun intro for that version of the TOS cast.

It's amazing how well the film works in spite of itself—it's held together almost entirely by charm and a propulsive sense of fun. But watching it again recently, the mess that is Star Trek Into Darkness made a lot more sense. It's got all the same problems, but with a fraction of both the charm and fun.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

feedmyleg posted:

There's a lot to like in that design that streamlines and upgrades a lot of things, but I just can't get behind any ship with that terrible Excelsior-style accordion ribbing on the neck. And that secondary hull is just way too wide, even though that's true of so many ships post-TNG.

I like the ribbing, bit think it should be chrome.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched ST09 for the first time in ages today and I maintain that it's a flawed but ultimately solid and fun intro for that version of the TOS cast. Giacchino's score is still the best part though, and having it take center stage over the last Kelvin scene was such a great choice. Not afraid to admit that that scene chokes me up every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxbJJ995Vjo

I suspect other people might hate it but I think the Mustang/Sabotage scene that follows is great too. That kid took his one line and acted the gently caress out of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's dumb, but it's at least having fun while it's dumb instead of being dumb and also a dark slog.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I suspect other people might hate it but I think the Mustang/Sabotage scene that follows is great too. That kid took his one line and acted the gently caress out of it.

I really appreciated Beyond's callback to it. Of course it's Sabotage, it's both appropriate for the purpose and a nice callback to Kirk rediscovering himself as a captain. Like okay, in action-movie Star Trek verse, you CAN make surfing a starship on a wave of drones in space work.

The whole reboot trilogy really seems to show that you can do cool action movie Star Trek if you actually care and try to give it some attention and purpose? When they care, it works fairly to very well. When they don't care, it's poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The most inoffensive thing about ST09 is also the most offensive thing I can say about it: it was a decent enough way to spend two hours.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Y'all are very charitable and nice about ST09. I still think it's really bad and also I hate it, and did not enjoy it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I appreciate, nothing about ST09. I hate it absolutely completely.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked and still like Star Trek V, even though it's objectively bad.

I can't either about ST09; it's utterly charmless and well-formed garbage IMO.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I liked the score and the robbit bridge officer that seemingly never gets mentioned again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s a bad, goofy movie that operates on osmosis-via-pop-culture understanding of Star Trek. They say JJ Abrams made the movie as his audition for Star Wars and I can believe it because it has 90% of the same problems as Force Awakens. best thing about the movie is Pine doing a brief Shatner impression at the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ST09 is better than all of the TNG films except FC and also TMP, TSS, and TFF

It still has problems but it keeps moving and tells a decent story.

I will never get over the engineering brewery though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The brewery made me keep laughing because all I could think about was the MST3K of Space Mutiny. "Wouldn't the basement make the spaceship bottom heavy?"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this always makes me laugh

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nokia phones are indestructible and it stands to reason that they would exist several hundred years in the future.

Wasn't there Pepsi or Coke or something at the bar where Kirk met Uhura? A brand so potent, it survived the Eugenics Wars and WWIII!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gonz posted:

Nokia phones are indestructible and it stands to reason that they would exist several hundred years in the future.

Wasn't there Pepsi or Coke or something at the bar where Kirk met Uhura? A brand so potent, it survived the Eugenics Wars and WWIII!

Budweiser

I guess if Trek is in a divergent future, one of the changes I can accept is where Nokia didn't put all their eggs in the Windows Phone basket

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Budweiser

I guess if Trek is in a divergent future, one of the changes I can accept is where Nokia didn't put all their eggs in the Windows Phone basket

The Nu-Trek universe Nokia phone batteries last 50 years on a single charge. Up 25 years from the Nokia phones of the 90's!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gonz posted:

The Nu-Trek universe Nokia phone batteries last 50 years on a single charge. Up 25 years from the Nokia phones of the 90's!

To be fair to Nokia, the Windows phones were terrible but I have about a half-dozen different Nokia candybars in a box somewhere that still hold charges

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

It’s a bad, goofy movie that operates on osmosis-via-pop-culture understanding of Star Trek. They say JJ Abrams made the movie as his audition for Star Wars and I can believe it because it has 90% of the same problems as Force Awakens. best thing about the movie is Pine doing a brief Shatner impression at the end.

Pine's Shatner impression as seen on SNL owns and I wish he'd done it through all the movies.

There should be a Director's Cut where Pine redubs his dialogue in Shatner-Mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best sequence in nutrek is oddly in the worst movie. The opening of ID when they are running from the alien tribe strikes all the right tone. It sucks that the movie was downhill from there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gonz posted:

Ehh they had consumer brands in the Soviet Union. I imagine it would be less ubiquitious but you could probably ask the replicator for a Coca-Cola and get one. Just be sure to specify: Cold, hot, or bloodworm.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Klingon Coca-Cola retains the original cocaine ingredient.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nessus posted:

Ehh they had consumer brands in the Soviet Union. I imagine it would be less ubiquitious but you could probably ask the replicator for a Coca-Cola and get one. Just be sure to specify: Cold, hot, or bloodworm.

Yeah, the money motivation is gone but if you invent a drink you'd still be motivated to make it popular and get people to enjoy your work, so branding and advertising would still be useful.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nessus posted:

you could probably ask the replicator for a Slug-o-Cola and get one. Just be sure to specify: Cold, hot, or bloodworm.

e: oh my god friggin Memory Alpha lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I actually didn't remember that drink dispenser so this isn't nearly the worst Memory Alpha article.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Worf loitering near the beverage replicator in Ten Forward during his off duty hours, hoarding prune juices.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

For example, the article detailing every time someone on Enterprise got a drink: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Drink_dispenser

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pen Pals was good. Samaritan Snare was great. I can really see TNG rounding into form.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched ST09 for the first time in ages today and I maintain that it's a flawed but ultimately solid and fun intro for that version of the TOS cast. Giacchino's score is still the best part though, and having it take center stage over the last Kelvin scene was such a great choice. Not afraid to admit that that scene chokes me up every time.

Me too. That's the good stuff right there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grand Fromage posted:

For example, the article detailing every time someone on Enterprise got a drink: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Drink_dispenser

I'm worse for reading the whole thing

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ST09 has plenty of flaws, but I prefer to think of it just as a complete reboot than an alternate timeline connected to Prime so changes don't bother me. It's a fun popcorn flick with some great Trek moments like the opening Kelvin attack.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I mean continuity-wise it makes no sense for it to be the past of the Prime timeline outside of Nimoy. It's way easier to justify it as the past of an alternate universe, ala the mirror universe where everything is just vastly different. Spock dimension-hopped.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

memory alpha is turbo useful my dude

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

ST09 has plenty of flaws, but I prefer to think of it just as a complete reboot than an alternate timeline connected to Prime so changes don't bother me. It's a fun popcorn flick with some great Trek moments like the opening Kelvin attack.

I prefer to think of it as poop, that lives in a toilet

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
why the gently caress does anybody care about canon anymore I mean really what the poo poo

*rolls up a copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia and swats the thread on the rear end with it*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

why the gently caress does anybody care about canon anymore I mean really what the poo poo

*rolls up a copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia and swats the thread on the rear end with it*

If you don't know CANON how can you COMPLAIN about it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

Klingon Coca-Cola retains the original cocaine ingredient.

To the Klingons this still qualifies as a soft drink.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

skasion posted:

I think you mean "Urban doing a Kelley impression the entire time" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tighclops posted:

If you can roll that motherfucker up I'd be impressed. The last edition was like half a yellow pages thick.