Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's a knicknack shop

No one lives there

please tell me no one lives there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Bloop posted:

That's a knicknack shop

No one lives there

Someone exists there, but can you really call it living?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I always swore that if I ever built my own home, all the doorways would be extra wide. Wide enough to fit a couch or armchair because I am so over removing doors just to try and find that extra tiny bit of width to squeeze furniture through doorways.

This is a bit more conventional, and very common:

(Yeah still needs a wide doorway of course.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is a bit more conventional, and very common:

(Yeah still needs a wide doorway of course.)

power move having a penis window in your door

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

power move having a penis window in your door

Two, even!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

MetaJew posted:

I am really curious about limewashing my ugly exterior brick veneer. But I mean literally using lime, not watered down latex paint. A think another goon in here did it to his house but I don't know where to find the photos now.

But my house only has to small sections with brick siding the rest is a mixture of other lovely wood-based siding products.
I'm talking about things like this

To each their own, but the after reminds me of a block of moldy cheese. I may be in the minority, but I love me some bricks.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Slice me off a chonk of that nice bloomy rind brie. I have apple slices and crackers that need adornment.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

That's a knicknack shop

No one lives there

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Balls and tip

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I always swore that if I ever built my own home, all the doorways would be extra wide. Wide enough to fit a couch or armchair because I am so over removing doors just to try and find that extra tiny bit of width to squeeze furniture through doorways.

Wide enough discretely to unload a post-bariatric op goon from the back of his flatbed truck into more like.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i'm the four trip hazards

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm talking about things like this

To each their own, but the after reminds me of a block of moldy cheese. I may be in the minority, but I love me some bricks.

This is violence. That's a perfectly OK looking house that can never be unfucked.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
i'm the two 1500ml bottles of maker's mark, the most basic of bourbons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why yes I let out ten thousand cubic feet of air conditioning whenever I open the door, why?

What you need is one of those castle doors with an inset regular door

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Love to have rows and rows of books that serve no purpose other than gathering dust

or to be used as a backdrop when you appear as an analyst on MSNBC

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here's my bastardized bricks. In my defense, and in my opinion, the bricks were bastardized before. They had some kind of baked-on smear or glaze that gave them an odd, 80s-flavor pink/lavender/grey look:

We wanted a nice, brighter teal door, and it clashed with the roof and the pink brick, so I said gently caress it and limewashed the non-structural, decorative brick strips:

I did 2 coats of limewash. It was 5 parts hydrated lime, 1 part regular table salt, and water to mix until it was the consistency of pancake batter.

This strip in the last photo was done almost a year ago, with a Utah winter in there, so that's how it's aged so far.
When it gets wet, it takes on a bit of a translucent look, but it dries straight back to solid white.

It has a slight chalky feel to it but doesn't sluff off at all. It feels like stone to the touch. It is very matte.

Edit: vvv I fixed it so nyah!

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 17, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mutata posted:

Here's my bastardized bricks. In my defense, and in my opinion, the bricks were bastardized before. They had some kind of baked-on smear or glaze that gave them an odd, 80s-flavor pink/lavender/grey look:

We wanted a nice, brighter teal door, and it clashed with the roof and the pink brick, so I said gently caress it and limewashed the non-structural, decorative brick strips:

I did 2 coats of limewash. It was 5 parts hydrated lime, 1 part regular table salt, and water to mix until it was the consistency of pancake batter.

This last photo was done almost a year ago, with a Utah winter in there, so that's how it's aged so far.
When it gets wet, it takes on a bit of a translucent look, but it dries straight back to solid white.

It has a slight chalky feel to it but doesn't sluff off at all. It feels like stone to the touch. It is very matte.

You're going to have to rehost from DropBox.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Booley posted:

I'm looking to buy a new couch and am hoping someone can give me a name on what style I should be looking for.
I like this one from Article, but I'm hesitant to buy one online that I haven't been able to sit in, though their return policy is decent. Mostly I like the beefier legs, I don't like the really thin pin legs on many couches but I still want something that has a bit more room above the floor than a lot of the really blocky short legs I see.

I'm OK spending up to 2-3k on something if I need to. Preferably there's a matching ottoman or it has a chaise.

We have a few Article pieces. The quality is hit or miss but customer service is good. We bought a leather couch and throw cushions from them. Couch arrived very scratched up and cushions were cheap and thin. They returned for free and gave a few hundred dollars credit that we used to buy a few lamps that have held up well. We also ordered two armchairs more recently but the upholstery seams were coming apart on one. They offered another credit so we just kept them because it wasn’t in a visible spot and they look really cool. I also have 8 of their outdoor dining chairs which I absolutely love. So yeah, it’s a mixed bag but worth trying.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Outside of finding a European importer where are there any good places to buy a new couch.

I'm not in the market but this seems to be a place where the American market fails hard.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Prepare for sticker shock.

Stickley
Younger
American Leather has the only sleepers I've found comfortable, but don't buy a sleeper if you don't need it.
Hancock and Moore

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mutata posted:

This strip in the last photo was done almost a year ago, with a Utah winter in there, so that's how it's aged so far.

Edit: vvv I fixed it so nyah!

This looks fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Love that door mutata

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

Outside of finding a European importer where are there any good places to buy a new couch.

I'm not in the market but this seems to be a place where the American market fails hard.

what in the world are you talking about

https://www.bludot.com/modern-living-room-furniture/modern-sofas-sectionals-sleepers.html

or if you're rich go here

https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals?lang=en_US

whoa DWR updated their website design looks good

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

actionjackson posted:

Love to have rows and rows of books that serve no purpose other than gathering dust

or to be used as a backdrop when you appear as an analyst on MSNBC

They’re for propping up the piano with broken legs

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "container". Yes, these are houses made out of used shipping containers.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16280-Stones-Throw-Ln-8-Union-Pier-MI-49129/2079779021_zpid/ exposed container is the new exposed brick

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3563-Shell-St-Greenbank-WA-98253/60900158_zpid/ looking suspiciously like an IKEA display room

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/28154-Lame-Deer-Ridge-Rd-Proctor-OK-74457/2079512530_zpid/ This house was built and decorated to offend me, personally.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/505-College-Ave-Boulder-CO-80302/2078710413_zpid/ Over $3 million of the most twee hipster bullshit imaginable. Also has 2 sets of death stairs.

I'm the mini skateboard that says "gently caress Clown" with a caricature of Donald Trump on it.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/867-Schwanger-Rd-Elizabethtown-PA-17022/245320454_zpid/ $90k and no land...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5124-Malcolm-X-Blvd-Dallas-TX-75215/26726111_zpid/ can they at least try to look a bit less container-y? At least put some decent flooring in.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3747-N-Mountain-Ave-Tucson-AZ-85719/119230505_zpid/ This one has actual siding so the exterior looks less like containers and more like a generic "modern" gray boxhaus. Inside is decent for an open plan though.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/905-S-LOWR-PODUNK-Alton-UT-84710/2080867691_zpid/ somehow the DIY redneck one on "South Lower Podunk" is the best-looking of the bunch.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 17, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Love that door mutata

Hey, thanks! We like it as well. It's really doing a LOT of heavy lifting for the front exterior right now while we roll out plans elsewhere in the house, heh.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

KS posted:

Stickley
Younger
American Leather has the only sleepers I've found comfortable, but don't buy a sleeper if you don't need it.
Hancock and Moore

Stickley Audi has really nice furniture, but the sticker shock is huge.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Bloop posted:

Why yes I let out ten thousand cubic feet of air conditioning whenever I open the door, why?

All worth it for the one time you need to move a couch through it.

Or a small car.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

KS posted:

Stickley
Younger
Hancock and Moore

Was expecting actual sticker shock, was disappointed

Those are dreadfully typical prices if you're looking at actual handmade furniture (and not more expensive than anything from any of the "known" brands like Knoll or HM). $10k for a made-to-order, handmade leather couch isn't unreasonable.

The only ting I found weird was that those companies are mostly owned by a conglomerate that also owns companies like BDI International, who loved to do cheap 'inspired by' pieces, and Tommy Bahama home, which specializes in what I can assume to be basement tiki bars producing margaritas with lime juice from a plastic lime and handles of Jose Cuervo

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 18, 2020

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've been proved correct. No good comes out of this thing:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Make that stop please.

We have a long term goal of owning a house with a tiki bar room that opens to the pool area, but then we make our own orgeat and have an otherwise mid century aesthetic.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've been proved correct. No good comes out of this thing:

So much of this stuff washes up in resale stores, it makes me wonder if anyone actually buys it full price.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

Booley posted:

I'm looking to buy a new couch and am hoping someone can give me a name on what style I should be looking for.
I like this one from Article, but I'm hesitant to buy one online that I haven't been able to sit in, though their return policy is decent. Mostly I like the beefier legs, I don't like the really thin pin legs on many couches but I still want something that has a bit more room above the floor than a lot of the really blocky short legs I see.

I'm OK spending up to 2-3k on something if I need to. Preferably there's a matching ottoman or it has a chaise.

I had that exact couch in my old apartment and hated it enough that I used moving as an excuse to just throw it away. The fabric wasn't comfortable, the cushions fit so awkwardly that it never looked quite put together, and it was narrower than a lot of couches I've owned making it less ideal for cuddling cats or napping. It also squished a lot over time in a way that no fluffing could repair. If you're okay with 2-3k then you might like Scandinavian Designs for a similar style (scandinaviandesigns.com) with better comfort/quality - at least from my sample size of 2 couches.

Man, I go through a lot of couches.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I love the Zillow search of the day stuff but could you toss an extra line break between them I never can tell which link goes with which photos and always click the wrong one. My brain must do the photo/link combo differently than yours or something.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Dwell". These homes have been featured in Dwell magazine.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/503139-Grey-Rd-1-Georgian-Bluffs-ON-N0H-2T0/2081387023_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2020-Great-Hwy-San-Francisco-CA-94116/184719241_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/102-Gold-St-Brooklyn-NY-11201/122027080_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/314-San-Miguel-Ave-San-Luis-Obispo-CA-93405/15426103_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4125-Turkey-Run-Charlottesville-VA-22911/111223343_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13755-Skyline-Blvd-Los-Gatos-CA-95033/19744687_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/185-W-Santa-Catalina-Rd-Palm-Springs-CA-92262/18022650_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9321-Cherokee-Ln-Beverly-Hills-CA-90210/20534217_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/116-Grove-St-Charleston-SC-29403/10910255_zpid/ I don't understand modern architects' obsession with floating death stairs. Would adding a handrail here really ruin the aesthetic?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3057-36th-Ave-SW-Seattle-WA-98126/49049700_zpid/ much better

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
I own this 1960s or so rya (?) rug that I bought last year in essentially brand new condition. After a year and a half on the floor by my sofa, it has some damage, especially on one edge where the backing is coming unraveled and the wool yarns are coming loose one by one. Anyone know how to repair these? I really love this rug, I’m cautious about treading on it too much but I’m starting to doubt whether I should use this on the floor at all.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

uncloudy day posted:

I own this 1960s or so rya (?) rug that I bought last year in essentially brand new condition. After a year and a half on the floor by my sofa, it has some damage, especially on one edge where the backing is coming unraveled and the wool yarns are coming loose one by one. Anyone know how to repair these? I really love this rug, I’m cautious about treading on it too much but I’m starting to doubt whether I should use this on the floor at all.

Ugh, shag rug repairs. Your rug is jute (warp) and blue thread (weft) with pink knots forming the pile. Those knots are mostly held in place by the compression of the warp and the weft, so repairing it means reweaving where it's started to come loose, replacing any knots you've lost.

I think for the corner you just need to weave those loose ends back in as much as you can, and come back with some more thread to just really tighten it up. Ideally, you want your new yard to be the same material as what's already in the rug, or at least avoid pairing a synthetic with a natural fiber.

The side looks like you snapped that last binding thread on the edge, so you're going to have to patch behind it to repair it. Get some kind of mesh, more jute or burlap should work but it needs to be a stiff weave, and make a big patch, at least 2-3in beyond the hole on all sides. Place it over the hole, and then you're going to weave in more blue thread, sewing the mesh into the rug as you go. That will stabilize the weave and give you something to attach new knots to if there's an actual hole. Then you add in more knots of the right color. (it's unlikely they are actually knotted around the thread in the conventional sense; see how the rest of the pink threads are attached and try to replicate it.

If you want to keep using it on the floor reinforcing all four sides with mesh is probably a good idea. Edges usually take more damage and if you can't put a proper binding on a rug, they can get pretty beat up.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 19, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

glue

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Ugh, shag rug repairs.

So you sounds like you know what you're talking about with these rugs. Instead of just suggesting, I'll ask: are carpet pads something that one would use to protect a rug like this? In this particular case I know it's edge damage and likely wouldn't have made a difference. But carpet pads are like, totally a thing for oriental rugs if you want to keep them in good shape. All of mine that see traffic have some manner and level of padding like this:

Also rotating them regularly if they see a lot of traffic.

Basically, this is a thing for this type of rug. If it applies to other types it's probably a good idea for uncloudy day if they want to keep that one in good shape for longer after repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Dwell". These homes have been featured in Dwell magazine.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/116-Grove-St-Charleston-SC-29403/10910255_zpid/ I don't understand modern architects' obsession with floating death stairs. Would adding a handrail here really ruin the aesthetic?

Why it's a 'pretend' rail to go with

Also, is that an idealized Tricky Dick Nixon poster?