Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The Irish episode is bad for a variety of reasons but Janeway using the holodeck exactly like everyone always uses it and that being treated as some ethical thing was always weird. Even the doctor should recognize that random characters are not the same as he is.

Yeah, when she deleted the wife, it's not any worse than a lot of holoprogramming we've seen. For gently caress's sake, Geordi and Pulaski did way worse when they accidentally created a self-aware Moriarty (and probably the first sentient hologram), only to box him up for several seasons. And they call Janeway a monster for killing Tuvix...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I feel like we can be forgiving about the first accidentally-created supervillain hologram. The first time it happens you don't know what the gently caress.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Geordi fell in love....with the drat SHIP!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
You can get 2% milk but not whole milk? That's just mean.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Roadie posted:

And not even chocolate milk: the milk of champions!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

If you can roll that motherfucker up I'd be impressed. The last edition was like half a yellow pages thick.

Yeah I have the old black and white version and the full colour edition from just before DS9 ended :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still have the Companion’s Guides for TNG (including one that only covers up to S5 iirc) and DS9 because they’re still worth flipping through for little BTS and SFX tidbits and factoids that aren’t on Memory Alpha. I also still have the Nitpicker’s Guide to TOS/TNG for Trekkers that my dad gave me, but I’ve never actually read them.

I really miss the days when genre franchises would put out tons of BTS books that weren’t just concept art (although I do love concept art, of course). One of the best clearance things I ever found at Barnes & Noble was a book detailing all the Westmore makeup and prosthetics from TNG to Voyager with a little How To section in the back for replicating specific character looks and props.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

memory alpha is turbo useful my dude

I read it all the time, that doesn't mean stuff like that isn't silly as hell

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still have the Companion’s Guides for TNG (including one that only covers up to S5 iirc) and DS9 because they’re still worth flipping through for little BTS and SFX tidbits and factoids that aren’t on Memory Alpha. I also still have the Nitpicker’s Guide to TOS/TNG for Trekkers that my dad gave me, but I’ve never actually read them.

I really miss the days when genre franchises would put out tons of BTS books that weren’t just concept art (although I do love concept art, of course). One of the best clearance things I ever found at Barnes & Noble was a book detailing all the Westmore makeup and prosthetics from TNG to Voyager with a little How To section in the back for replicating specific character looks and props.

I would love to find more of these, I tracked down a reasonably-priced copy of the DS9 companion for Mrs. Capone's last birthday and we both love that sort of stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I would love to find more of these, I tracked down a reasonably-priced copy of the DS9 companion for Mrs. Capone's last birthday and we both love that sort of stuff.

I kinda wish I’d kept all my old official Star Trek: The Magazine issues from the late 90s/early-00s because they all had stuff like that. Lots of set diagrams and bridge layouts and the like mixed with interviews from production crew and BTS photos.

There’s gotta be some turbonerd out there with a complete pdf set of them.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gonz posted:

Geordi fell in love....with the drat SHIP!

the ship moved on and had a baby. geordi was nothing but an embarrassing hookup from its perspective

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lollin' a bit at how openly miserable everybody in this photo looks

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Christ.

Tom Paris lookin’ like he’s just been handed down a death sentence.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

Christ.

Tom Paris lookin’ like he’s just been handed down a death sentence.

He was just told they've been renewed for season seven.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

In which Robert Duncan McNeill rolls out of bed for a photograph very early in the morning.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I just watched the episode of TNG where Picard goes to his brother's vineyard. I forgot about the TNG movies so when my viewing partner asked if they'd dragged out some other elderly actor to be Picard's brother in CBS' hit new drama PICARD, I had to look it up. I totally forgot he and the nephew died horribly in a throwaway line about Picard being sad he never had children.

E:

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 17, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Not only that, but Picard, once in the Nexus, tells Kirk they have to go back a few hours to stop Dr. Soren.

Instead of going back a week or so and warning Starfleet what Soren had in mind so they can show up and arrest him before the events of the movie happen.

And before Picard’s family is killed.

And Kirk could’ve come along, too. Unscathed!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kinda wish I’d kept all my old official Star Trek: The Magazine issues from the late 90s/early-00s because they all had stuff like that. Lots of set diagrams and bridge layouts and the like mixed with interviews from production crew and BTS photos.

There’s gotta be some turbonerd out there with a complete pdf set of them.

His name is Bernd Schneider and you show him some respect

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

Not only that, but Picard, once in the Nexus, tells Kirk they have to go back a few hours to stop Dr. Soren.

Instead of going back a week or so and warning Starfleet what Soren had in mind so they can show up and arrest him before the events of the movie happen.

And before Picard’s family is killed.

And Kirk could’ve come along, too. Unscathed!

It's so weird too, they have Ghost Guinan specifically say you can exit the Nexus anywhere in time and space. Like it's not the usual supernerdu nitpicky poo poo, it's space magic they made up just for this movie. They could've given it any rules and limitations they wanted to and chose "none".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Alexander Siddig released the second episode of that little radio drama thing that he and Andrew Robinson have been doing in-character. This week Cirroc Lofton's joining them in-character as Jake. Giving it a watch now.

The story isn't groundbreaking, it's mostly just bad fanfic, but man if hearing the actors taking up the roles again, even for this weird Zoom podcast thing, is neat as heck. Hoping this thing keeps going, maybe get Nana Visitor on soon or something.

Edit: just finished this episode, looks like the tease for the next one might involve John Fleck, who played like fifty billion Trek characters but specifically played Koval (leader of the Tal'Shiar) in DS9. Neato, looking forward to some scenery-chewing.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 17, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why has Berman Star Trek not gone the way of the older Doctor Who stuff and just done endless radio dramas with the original cast? I'm sure a ton of dorks would tune into a serialized podcast that follows the further adventures of Geordi or Sulu or whatever. I'm sure some of the writers from the Berman era could use the work, and the cast could record it at home. It'd be small time enough that Kurtzman probably wouldn't meddle!

e: And as I keep going with season 1 of my DS9 rewatch, I'm actually liking Bashir. Outside of his cringey horndog moments, he's just a little dweeb and the show embraces it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 17, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

womb with a view posted:

I just watched the episode of TNG where Picard goes to his brother's vineyard. I forgot about the TNG movies so when my viewing partner asked if they'd dragged out some other elderly actor to be Picard's brother in CBS' hit new drama PICARD, I had to look it up. I totally forgot he and the nephew died horribly in a throwaway line about Picard being sad he never had children.

E:
They never mentioned what happened to his sister in law who survived

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

feedmyleg posted:

Why has Berman Star Trek not gone the way of the older Doctor Who stuff and just done endless radio dramas with the original cast?

Especially now where everyone has gently caress-all to due because of the pandemic, yeah. This would own.

Or even something like dredging up some beloved B-tier Trek actors to play a couple sessions of Star Trek Adventures or something on stream. Would probably go over extremely well.

But then again, the brand management department responsible for Star Trek are pretty goddamn awful at their jobs, so :shrug:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The DS9 one was the pinnacle of the guides, and the follow-up Voyager one was the most disappointing given all the interesting behind the scenes information for each episode was dispensed with for irrelevant in-universe facts better suited on somewhere like Memory Alpha.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

feedmyleg posted:

Why has Berman Star Trek not gone the way of the older Doctor Who stuff and just done endless radio dramas with the original cast? I'm sure a ton of dorks would tune into a serialized podcast that follows the further adventures of Geordi or Sulu or whatever. I'm sure some of the writers from the Berman era could use the work, and the cast could record it at home. It'd be small time enough that Kurtzman probably wouldn't meddle!

I remember Big Finish (who do the Doctor Who audio stories) did do an adaptation of some German Trek fanfic or something similar - I don't think anything more came of it though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drone posted:

But then again, the brand management department responsible for Star Trek are pretty goddamn awful at their jobs, so :shrug:

I was about to suggest that Trek be run by a company/subsidiary whose sole function it is to oversee Trek media so that it could be run by people who treated it with care, but then I remembered The Henson Company's past 30 years...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Zaroff posted:

I remember Big Finish (who do the Doctor Who audio stories) did do an adaptation of some German Trek fanfic or something similar - I don't think anything more came of it though.

It was an audio book series of translations of German Trek fanfic, and even being kind to it obviously being a "Testing the waters" kind of thing, it was terrible. It was read by one of the Augments from the "Enterprise" story arc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Isn't that the Prometheus series? I know that it's kinda unique in being the (only?) non-American series of official licensed fiction, and I wanna say it didn't even get English translations for a little bit, if ever?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Isn't that the Prometheus series? I know that it's kinda unique in being the (only?) non-American series of official licensed fiction, and I wanna say it didn't even get English translations for a little bit, if ever?
It did eventually

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Roadie posted:

You have to press and hold for the variety drop-down menu.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Nice to see Sid. Been watching his zoom. I did like the revelation Dukat and Garak got drunk and shagged.

Episode 2 is up, too.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 17, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Humerus posted:

His name is Bernd Schneider and you show him some respect

I've been following Bernd's website for like 20+ years now, mostly because it's a bookmark in my "click these when REALLY bored" folder, and the dude is such a Turbo Trek nerd that honestly it is completely respectable. EDIT - Looks like a recent article he made is about the little side cooridor used sometimes on the transporter room. Heh. (EDIT EDIT w/r/t that article gently caress I love looking at the floor plans for the Trek sets at the Paramount lots.)

Of course the dude is probably going to die of brain cancer from all of the new terrible Trek that CBS is making GBS threads out.

At least the Greatest Gen guys have drunk the CBS coolaid to deal with it or something-- probably because it pays their bills now. They gave that loving abomination of a Tribble short trek like a 10/10 or something insane.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 17, 2020

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

It's amazing how well the film works in spite of itself—it's held together almost entirely by charm and a propulsive sense of fun. But watching it again recently, the mess that is Star Trek Into Darkness made a lot more sense. It's got all the same problems, but with a fraction of both the charm and fun.

When I first saw ST09 I enjoyed it for the same reasons: lots of energy, lots of fun, full of charm but I didn't rewatch until 10 years later in 2019 and... good god, what was I thinking?

Nothing makes sense, at all. The story is propelled by pure contrivance and dumbassery that's inexcusable. No need to put together the laundry list of things wrong with the story as I'm sure it's been done to death. Looking back, every single one of the ST movies birthed from JJ Abrams mistake are worse than the worst moments of Star Trek V by a wiiiide margin.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trickjaw posted:

Poor old Sid. Been watching his zoom YouTube stuff. The only people who talk to him, apart from Garak, are fat dumpy haus fraus creaming their rascal seats.

That's a really loving lovely way to talk about female Star Trek fans.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hah, looks like he's blocking SA as a referrer again. If you get a 403, just copy/paste the address into a new browser tab and it'll work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Poor Siddig, he has to talk to ugly women."

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pick posted:

"Poor Siddig, he has to talk to ugly women."

It was an observation. A cruel one, but if it offends, I'm happy to delete.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trickjaw posted:

It was an observation. A cruel one, but if it offends, I'm happy to delete.

It certainly is offensive and I think you should reflect on why you thought that kind of cruelty is welcome, here or anywhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not going to offend me personally because I'm cool and look great, which doesn't narrow it down at all :smug:, but it does provide a window into those guys who call in and don't participate who are apparently there to scoff at a dude asking about a woman's toxicology research when she didn't even get her boobs out !!!!!

Hmm wonder why when Fromage (?) asked about it earlier I didn't post the link.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
as long as we're in this gutter I just wanna say that more ladies on tv should be thicc like ensign Tilly. I'm also pretty sure that Discovery was trying to edit around showing any head-to-toe shots of her because of this but I'm never going to re-watch it to confirm.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

you're posting in a star trek thread on the something awful forums, you do not get to dunk on anybody my dude