Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Subvisual Haze posted:

Similarly his conflict with the Wardens could have easily been resolved by just swearing on his power that he hadn't been sleeping with Lara

I don't think we've seen any evidence that swearing on your power to the truth of something is meaningful; every example has been of promising not to do something, with the loss of power if you violate that oath.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Drone Jett posted:

I don't think we've seen any evidence that swearing on your power to the truth of something is meaningful; every example has been of promising not to do something, with the loss of power if you violate that oath.

We haven't. Still, it seems like a reasonable way to deal with deliberate falsehoods. Hell, by your own statement, "I swear on my power not to speak deliberate falsehoods to you for the next 2 minutes" is a possible oath. With "Did you make the two-backed beast with Lara Raith?" "No." being a simple outcome.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Harry breaks his oath sworn on his power to Lea in Grave Peril and basically suffers immediately. But I take anything in the first 3 books with a heaping tablespoon of salt because Butcher was very much still figuring out the universe.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

Harry breaks his oath sworn on his power to Lea in Grave Peril and basically suffers immediately. But I take anything in the first 3 books with a heaping tablespoon of salt because Butcher was very much still figuring out the universe.

Maybe Thomas will open a Way to a strip club to save everyone!

Man the first three books have some oddities that are perpendicular to a lot of what we learn later on.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Thomas opening a way (into a strip club) is still pretty plausible though. He is his mother's son, he does have at least some magic available. Just not enough to override his WCV splat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think there's even a line about how he can only really open Ways in places he knows well/is connected to. He can't just drop one wherever like Harry could

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Thats the big difference between early and later books. Later in the series you can only open ways in certain locations, not wherever you want. But it's still plausible that Thomas knew of this one way in particular.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

rndmnmbr posted:

Thats the big difference between early and later books. Later in the series you can only open ways in certain locations, not wherever you want. But it's still plausible that Thomas knew of this one way in particular.

You can open a way anywhere, but unless you want to die messily, you do it along the marked paths.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

Missing completely that there is a middle path of them both living in safer location such as the Carpenter house (which is probably what will happen eventually).

Man this is totally reasonable and I would be a bit sad because I was kinda hoping that Harry would somehow finally decide to move in with Murphy or something else but I basically wanted Harry to trick out and see what new home protection wards he has thought up since he last had an apartment. I kinda want to see Bonnie act as his home Siri or something

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone read the Kim Harrison 'The Hollows' series? Does the feeling/quality of the books change any after the first? I'm about half-way thru the first book and its pretty heavy on the 'sexy vampire energy' stuff (similar to how the latest Dresden books are) and it's a bit much for me. If the quality of the writing improves as the series progresses then I'll stick with it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Xtanstic posted:

Man this is totally reasonable and I would be a bit sad because I was kinda hoping that Harry would somehow finally decide to move in with Murphy or something else but I basically wanted Harry to trick out and see what new home protection wards he has thought up since he last had an apartment. I kinda want to see Bonnie act as his home Siri or something

I'd really, really like him to get a minute to sit down so he can craft some new focuses, another summoning circle...some kind of magic swag. He keeps saying 90% of wizarding is preparation, so can he please be allowed to power up fully?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Caseman posted:

It was nice to have some new Dresden finally but definitely itching for September. The big thing that's bothering me now is why did Harry choose THAT moment to tell McCoy about Thomas? McCoy spent literally every single interaction he had with Harry the entire novel bitching about vampires, and Harry seemed completely set on not revealing his relationship to Thomas, but he can tell him after McCoy thinks he's killed Harry? What changed that made it okay for him to know now?

I also find it hard to believe that after a year, Harry and Karrin's sex life has not evolved past him being afraid of hurting her and her convincing him that *gasp* a woman wants the sex! I don't know why I would expect any better from Butcher, but there are any number of ways to make that dynamic more interesting.

Otherwise, really liked the svartalves and Harry's really ridiculous new car and wish we'd gotten more of Harry's two daughters, especially the freakin mini-Bob birthed from his skull. That thing was so central to the last book its weird to have it just glossed over.

This is absolutely going to happen. Don't forget that the remaining artifacts are on Demonsreach as well, so they can be captured by the enemy for some more escalation

Regarding Harry and Karrin. It's not that Karrin is a woman. It's that she's a badly injured woman. And Harry still feels guilty for putting her in the position to get badly injured. He doesn't want to hurt her more than he already has..

As far as the "male gaze" moments with Hope and Ivy, I was mostly okay with it. For one thing, Dresden/Butcher didn't keep going on and on like he'd do with Molly and her

HUGE, AWESOME TOTALLY ROCKING BEWBAGE!

Instead Dresden notes it and it's not about "Wow, I'd like to gently caress-" so much as "drat has a lot of time passed."

Plus, Dresden is a father now. Of a young girl. Who is growing up. And guys will be checking her out the way he's checked out other girls.

Daughters are the universe's revenge on horn-dog men.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 17, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

When Eb points out that living "in the open" under the protection of an inscrutable 3rd party is a terrible idea for Maggie's safety, Harry focuses instead on the personal wrongs Ebenezer did to him by having him raised in foster care. Missing completely that there is a middle path of them both living in safer location such as the Carpenter house (which is probably what will happen eventually).

It's not just the safety at the house, though, unless she's planning on never leaving the house. It's the fact that she's a lever on him and that will always put her in danger. She has Mouse and she has the Carpenters, but none of that can stop, say, a gunman from rolling up alongside her elementary school during recess. It's a real risk, if not a risk that would justify effectively abandoning her.

Everyone posted:

As far as the "male gaze" moments with Hope and Ivy, I was mostly okay with it. For one thing, Dresden/Butcher didn't keep going on and on like he'd do with Molly and her

HUGE, AWESOME TOTALLY ROCKING BEWBAGE!

Instead Dresden notes it and it's not about "Wow, I'd like to gently caress-" so much as "drat has a lot of time passed."

Plus, Dresden is a father now. Of a young girl. Who is growing up. And guys will be checking her out the way he's checked out other girls.

Yeah, the feeling I got from that was less Dresden-is-a-horndog and more that new dad Dresden is noticing that the people he thought of as little girls have become young women, and realizing that his own little girl is also going to grow up.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dresden did set a pretty strong precedent on what will happen to anyone trying to harm Maggie. :black101:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone read the Kim Harrison 'The Hollows' series? Does the feeling/quality of the books change any after the first? I'm about half-way thru the first book and its pretty heavy on the 'sexy vampire energy' stuff (similar to how the latest Dresden books are) and it's a bit much for me. If the quality of the writing improves as the series progresses then I'll stick with it.

I read the first, five? maybe. I found them very consistent to downright samey, and weirdly disjointed at times. Iirc sexy vampire energy is central to the way they work so that doesn't change much. If you like the protagonist, great, because she didn't change much throughout.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Sloth Life posted:

I read the first, five? maybe. I found them very consistent to downright samey, and weirdly disjointed at times. Iirc sexy vampire energy is central to the way they work so that doesn't change much. If you like the protagonist, great, because she didn't change much throughout.

Actually, if you keep reading...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Avalerion posted:

Dresden did set a pretty strong precedent on what will happen to anyone trying to harm Maggie. :black101:

I love the phrasing, which I can't look up atm, but it's something like "You killed them. And all their friends. And most people they ever met."

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Wizchine posted:

Actually, if you keep reading...

Let me guess, she gets incredible cosmic power yet remains an impetuous imbecile and bangs that Elf guy in a classic " "no I hate you" means "screw me please" "?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sloth Life posted:

Let me guess, she gets incredible cosmic power yet remains an impetuous imbecile and bangs that Elf guy in a classic " "no I hate you" means "screw me please" "?

Wow, it's like you've read urban fantasy before...

In truth I think I read a few of the books a few years ago but I can't recall all that much about them.

No direct spoilers, but even in Peace Talks, Harry Dresden is still Harry Dresden, a wizard not all that subtle but still a little quick to anger. He's clearly more experienced than he was, but his basic personality (including the flaws) remains intact.

Props to Butcher for letting Dresden's girlfriend be around his own age instead of some immortal teenager or something.

I mean, I won't be utterly shocked if some weird magic thing turns Karrin into some kind of immortal twenty-something, but it's still nice to have an age-appropriate connection for now.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I'd really, really like him to get a minute to sit down so he can craft some new focuses, another summoning circle...some kind of magic swag. He keeps saying 90% of wizarding is preparation, so can he please be allowed to power up fully?

Yeah. It's been how many books since Changes now? I'm annoyed at the self-imposed nerf for the past few books.

Everyone posted:

Suddenly I will now expect a horribly contrived "I'm a feminist because I have a daughter" speech in the near future.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Sloth Life posted:

She gets incredible cosmic power - but it's done with a really nice in-universe twist. However, she becomes self-aware that she is an impetuous imbecile and tones it down. No comment on Elf guy. You're 2 out of 3.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah. It's been how many books since Changes now? I'm annoyed at the self-imposed nerf for the past few books.

This is the fourth book since Changes, which was Book #12. He spent Book #13 dead (sort of). In Book #14 he got physical therapy for being dead and then had to do Mab's will. He had a little time after that to fix up Demonreach and craft a few tools (though I don't recall what) as well as get something of a handle on the Winter Mantle. It's been... maybe a year? 18 months? since Book #15. But he also has two jobs that keep him pretty loving busy. He's still a regional commander of the Wardens of the White Council and he's the Winter Knight. He's got a new staff and that kinetic punch thing, I think.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect too much in the way of "wizard swag" until Book #18. Figure the dude's gonna be pretty busy until then.

Xtanstic posted:

Suddenly I will now expect a horribly contrived "I'm a feminist because I have a daughter" speech in the near future.

Possibly. On the other hand, despite the Winter Mantle telling him to eat/gently caress/kill, Dresden is actually a lot more restrained about women than he's been in the past. Having a daughter could easily put him in the mind of "I don't want to look at Hope, etc that way because I don't want any assholes like me looking at Maggie that way."

Do you think Dick Cheney would have had the slightest empathy/sympathy for LGBTQ people if his own daughter hadn't come out to him as gay? He doesn't have a huge amount, but she's why he has what he has. Progress generally starts with personal encounters and experience.

In a better, fairer world it wouldn't be as needed. You wouldn't have to have a daughter to get the epiphany "I shouldn't treat women like object because I don't want my kid treated like an object." But we don't live in that finer world. We're stuck in this one. Progress continues. Slower than it really should be, but still, it continues.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

This scene actually made me angry. Yoshiko goes "You've had sex recently!" and Harry gets irrationally angry at the four giving the guy who just left Lara freaking Raith's house a funny look. When the appropriate response is Harry giving Ramirez a smug look and saying "Yeah, I had some fun with :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: earlier, btw Karrin says hi."

Okay, I read the book on Tuesday, and now I am listening to the audio book. I think I figured something out: A lot of people have noted that Harry and the Wardens fell out here, then were fine the next evening. However Ramirez states that Harry needs to meet them to prep the next day at 6. However, we never see that scene. Instead we skip to the party. I am thinking that Harry does go prep, and some planning/reconciliation/plotting that satisfies his buddies occurs. That would explain why they all day they voted for him. Where would they vote? Edinburgh. So potentially setting something up with Luccio. Or it could be sloppy writing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Everyone posted:

It's been... maybe a year? 18 months? since Book #15.

I think it's mentioned in the book that it's been about 4 or so months since the events of Skin Game.

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

docbeard posted:

I think it's mentioned in the book that it's been about 4 or so months since the events of Skin Game.

official timeline

Skin Game was February and Peace Talks/Battle Ground is July

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
And also the book specifically mentions Notre Dame burning down, so uhh timelines.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

And also the book specifically mentions Notre Dame burning down, so uhh timelines.

That one really made me laugh, I wasn't sure if he was supposed to be referencing the recent fire or ssome old rear end fire.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Picked up Peace Talks yesterday and yowza, I dont remember half the poo poo that's happened since....2014? Jesus.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr. Hasty posted:

official timeline

So best guess is that Peace Talks is set in 2013 according to trying to fudge the timeline. Well it certainly makes Harry's 'Whats this interwebz thing' make more sense

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Zore posted:

So best guess is that Peace Talks is set in 2013 according to trying to fudge the timeline. Well it certainly makes Harry's 'Whats this interwebz thing' make more sense

I don't get what any specific date would have to do with "the guy who destroys all advanced electronics he is near only has a peripheral knowledge of the Internet".

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mr. Hasty posted:

official timeline

So Murphy is around 43 which means that her recovery from her injuries was iffy at best and her little stunt with the casts basically has cost her her mobility in her old age (I know fiction action hero blah blah). She had better hope she dies and comes back as a undead viking thing I can’t be bothered to spell or the next few years are going to be unending suffering.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
in the american health care system lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

navyjack posted:

So Murphy is around 43 which means that her recovery from her injuries was iffy at best and her little stunt with the casts basically has cost her her mobility in her old age (I know fiction action hero blah blah). She had better hope she dies and comes back as a undead viking thing I can’t be bothered to spell or the next few years are going to be unending suffering.

I mean if she dies and comes back in say 2015 the next few years are going to be unending suffering anyway.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if she dies and comes back in say 2015 the next few years are going to be unending suffering anyway.

I already know the hat dresden's gonna be wearing on the cover of the final trilogy

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gnoman posted:

I don't get what any specific date would have to do with "the guy who destroys all advanced electronics he is near only has a peripheral knowledge of the Internet".

Except for Murphy, Bob, Will and Butters all telling Dresden exactly what it is multiple times throughout the series.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

Dresden Files is a prose comic book. When is it set? Nowish. Call it this year right now. Skin Game happened in February of 2020, so Peace Talks is kicking off in July 2020. If Book 18 drops in March of 2022 with a "Severals Months Later" Tag, then 18 will be set in March of 2022 with all that Battle stuff happening in 2021 because that's how comic book time works.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Up Circle posted:

I already know the hat dresden's gonna be wearing on the cover of the final trilogy

:lol:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shinjobi posted:

Picked up Peace Talks yesterday and yowza, I dont remember half the poo poo that's happened since....2014? Jesus.

Anyone who hasn't read Peace Talks yet, the one thing I wish I'd brushed up on before reading was the short stories, which I only kind of remembered. Bleh. Read 3-15 in 22 days. I shouldn't have taken a break.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Up Circle posted:

:sbahj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anita Blake 8 complete, what a book! Here's the review/thought-post I just put together for goodreads:

A book as overwhelmed as Anita is at this stage of her character development. Take all the magical and personal developments from the last book, don't give Anita time to catch her breath, and then throw her into what could be the worst week of her entire life.

I mean, you know it's going to be bad when Anita open the book having to ride to the rescue of her rear end in a top hat ex, who has been openly angry at her. Richard's been sleeping around trying to find a replacement for Anita and now it's landed him in jail for rape. He's innocent, of course.

This is where I'd try to summarize the plot, but it's basically a nightmare collision course of corrupt cops, an absolutely vile villain, a hostile master vampire, a hostile Ulfric werewolf, munin, Anita's issues, her wereleopard pack, her escort vampires, Jason, and Richard. And the specter of Jean-Claude, who doesn't tag along for this adventure but he casts a long, long shadow. (ironic for a vampire)

The primary theme is again the backbone of the series: Anita losing control, whether by having it forced on her or through her own actions. There's a reason the book is named after the Blue Moon - a supernaturally intense moon that makes the shifters risk control every time they get even a little emotional. Anita's not a were-critter but it gets her too, and she's going to botch at least one encounter with the supernatural because she's not at her best.

So let me dig into that. Not at her best? Oh yeah. Even though the love triangle is technically resolved, Anita still has hang-ups over Richard, even when he's being an rear end in a top hat. Then there's the wereleopards, who are a group who are primed to hit all of Anita's prude buttons. They want touch for comfort, they want sex because they've been broken to understand just it, they want her to protect them, and their proximity is going to help through Anita's internal struggles in stark relief.

And that's the other theme of this book: people, people, everywhere. Anita rarely gets time alone, she has to fight for it. And that is the struggle: she isn't alone. She started dating two people at once and now she's got a whole bunch of people in her life who want attention for various things and she's going to have to learn how to manage that.

Learning is the other theme of this book: Anita needs to learn how to control her new powers. Needs to learn how to handle her people. Needs to learn to be okay with herself. And over the course of the book she learns a lot about herself that she's not wholly happy with. Not at all.

I've seen the series described as books 1-9 are Anita's descent. That fits. Here in the penultimate book of that arc, I was wondering how far down we would go. The first three hundred pages were a teaser for the hell ride that is the finale of this book. As I was reading the last hundred pages I kept hearing a clunk sound, the sound of a gear dropping into place, something powerful and profound happening that you can't take back, the sound of Anita's psyche being inevitably forced into being ready for whatever the next book brings. Blow after blow strikes home, and for the first time in the series the epilogue doesn't have a sense of closure, only temporary escape.

In conclusion: one of those rare books that manages to actually match the plot tempo to the state of the main character's psyche. Messy, chaotic, and yet it all pulls it together. One hell of a book.