Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sundae posted:

Mine was at a private clinic same-day unscheduled, so maybe that was my “gently caress You, Gentrifier“ upcharge. :shrug: But still, $250 to get tested for whether you’re a public health risk or not? Fuckkkk.

Same via One Medical in Emeryville and San Mateo. what the gently caress OC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Wrong thread, poo poo

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
If the ridership of CalTrain has dropped that dramatically now is the perfect opportunity to disband the organization, take over the tracks and extend BART down the peninsula. If things continue the way they are there is time to connect the tracks in San Jose and make one giant bay area loop and send capacity and frequency to the moon.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Boot and Rally posted:

If the ridership of CalTrain has dropped that dramatically now is the perfect opportunity to disband the organization, take over the tracks and extend BART down the peninsula. If things continue the way they are there is time to connect the tracks in San Jose and make one giant bay area loop and send capacity and frequency to the moon.

Bart’s also facing like a billion dollar deficit, I think

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Centrist Committee posted:

Bart’s also facing like a billion dollar deficit, I think

yeah but unlike caltrain BART isn't going anywhere, that poo poo cost the Bay Area waaaay too much money and is too important for commuters to let die.

tbh all the public transit systems across the country are bleeding cash bad right now due to a lack of riders. nobody wants to get into a coronavirus tube.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pigasus posted:

Also if anyone has access to a pulse oximeter, it might be good to have ready to detect any issues with her lungs.

Even the cheaper ones can work, things are at least relatively accurate to themselves so while don't necessarily freak out at the first number you see (unless you're 80s and feeling crummy lmao), trends could be useful going forward.

I briefly considered trying to take one from work if there was an extra in the donated pile, opted to buy one online instead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boot and Rally posted:

If we're doing that, might as well update the rail size and get new cars so they they 're not running on some weird bespoke gauge.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

FilthyImp posted:

If we're doing that, might as well update the rail size and get new cars so they they 're not running on some weird bespoke gauge.

loving 5’6” gauge what were they thinking.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Boot and Rally posted:

Do you expect this pandemic to last a decade? Given how long it's taken to extend BART elsewhere that's the timescale we're looking at.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Do you expect this pandemic to last a decade? Given how long it's taken to extend BART elsewhere that's the timescale we're looking at.
They might be able to fast-track existing work.

I know that the Metro Purple Line extension here in LA is some months ahead of schedule since they basically got 2ish months where they didn't have to worry about destroying local traffic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Boot and Rally posted:

There's a lot of complexity in expanding BART down south, I can't get into details but there was a lot more than politics that was stalling the opening of Berryessa Station. Everybody at both agencies is aware that tying BART into VTA would be a huge boon for ridership but there are loads of obstacles even with a voter mandate and money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Caltrain right of way is also going to be how we eventually get california high speed rail into the bay area. It would make no sense at all to rip out standard gauge heavy rail, which is already scheduled for electrification and is also already used for freight, in order to duplicate the BART rail that is already extended into the south bay. It's a ridiculous proposal. Like just silly to even contemplate.

e. also note that the caltrain line has a bunch of level crossings that absolutely can't be there for bart, so you'd have to build shitloads of elevated rail which is mega-expensive compared to at-grade.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

e.pilot posted:

loving 5’6” gauge what were they thinking.

The evening onshore winds would cause trains of BART’s size and weight coming down the peninsula to have to either slow way down, tip, or cost a fortune to build windbreaking walls along the entire run of track.

Source, which is basically answers every “what were they thinking” question about BART.

Some of their decisions were still wrong, but they weren’t made in a vacuum.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Aeka 2.0 posted:

She's been isolated due to her comorbidities, works for Disney as well, so no work either. She only goes out to get food or other essentials. It's so frustrating when someone tries their hardest and then people are out there loving it up for her.
She has a pulse oximeter.

The appointment for the rapid test is tomorrow. She's got roommates that don't really go out as well but I don't know their situation. She's holed up for now. Symptoms for 3 days so far and getting worse.

So right now she is waiting for a rapid test, and to quote "They have us all crowded together waiting. So if I don't have it I loving do now."

Every turn everything is handled wrong. The appointment was over an hour ago too.

edit: got more info. She's negative.
At the clinic they actually kept them 6 feet apart outside, BUT the girl that was standing next to her for hours tested positive. So now she's freaked out and im trying to calm her down.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 18, 2020

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Things not impacted by corona seem to include San Diego north county real estate because jesus gently caress according to the conversation I've just had with my real estate agent all the SF assholes are now moving down now that they can work remotely forever or whatever the gently caress kgh dflighdsjhfg sidgf sidfg s I'm trying to buy a house, you assholes!

e: no apologies to SF assholes driving up prices in Encinitas

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

At least one of them are my rear end in a top hat ex-neighbors so condolences in advance

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So, uhh, when the school district for 2 of my kids offered 3 options: 1) full in-school, 2) hybrid, 3) full online, they anticipated most people choosing 1 or 2. After this week, it looks like kids won't be able to go back to school to start the year for the first semester or so. The school district just came out and said "oh hey, we anticipated most kids picking 1 or 2, and we can't afford to put every student on the full online learning program, so we reject the motion to start the school year with all students online, sorry."

.... :sigh:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So, uhh, when the school district for 2 of my kids offered 3 options: 1) full in-school, 2) hybrid, 3) full online, they anticipated most people choosing 1 or 2. After this week, it looks like kids won't be able to go back to school to start the year for the first semester or so. The school district just came out and said "oh hey, we anticipated most kids picking 1 or 2, and we can't afford to put every student on the full online learning program, so we reject the motion to start the school year with all students online, sorry."

.... :sigh:

Wait, they are rejecting the new mandate from today?

Do they lose funding then?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Things not impacted by corona seem to include San Diego north county real estate because jesus gently caress according to the conversation I've just had with my real estate agent all the SF assholes are now moving down now that they can work remotely forever or whatever the gently caress kgh dflighdsjhfg sidgf sidfg s I'm trying to buy a house, you assholes!

e: no apologies to SF assholes driving up prices in Encinitas

Mortgage rates are at lows never seen in people's lifetimes and housing prices are soft, it's all over not just your spot in SD

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
SF Bay Area workers are fleeing everywhere to buy houses the last few months. I am sure this is happening from all the expensive areas country-wide as people think they can telecommute from their new 4,200 sq ft Wyoming McMansion on 5 acres forever. They are going to get horribly burned when all their employers demand them on-site again by mid 2021 at the latest. That's if they even still have their job.

Where I am at in Sac/Roseville is getting bombed even more than usual with them, and I'm glad I beat them by a few years!

The Cap Corridor Amtrak is going to be an even bigger nightmare when they all have to start commuting back as it was already full pre-covid. :suicide:

This same stuff happened in past recessions 1993, 2000, 2009 too, but this time it's turbo-nuclear.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 18, 2020

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I think the district probably means they can't afford to put all the kids on whatever online-only program they were going to put all the online-only requesters on. That poo poo's $$$/kid. My district is still doing a hybrid-online only split, where "hybrid" means "teachers will teach classes, but online until we're allowed to do hybrid, then hybrid" and "online only" means "you do the program we bought for you and you can't opt out of it at least until 2nd semester, even if the hybrid stays online only"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Your idiot district should stop thinking they can purchase a Read 180 subscription/Khan Academy pack for each student and instead work on getting the teachers enough resources to figure out how the gently caress they can adapt their lesson plans for this online future.

It would kind of make sense for an enrollment program if your kids were elementary schoolers, but they'd still need to interact with their teacher.

The big question mark surrounding Fall is going to be grading scales. In LA they decided that no student was getting a grade lower than what they had as of March 13th. So if you had straight A's you could gently caress off. If you had a passing C you could half-rear end it. That won't be feasible this time and from what I gather it was hard enough to get middle and high schoolers to do work.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Apparently you can also apply for a waiver re: school closing so maybe the district is going for that. No idea what the waiver process looks like or what criteria they're looking for.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

what if we just held all the kids back a year and gave them a Very Long Summer

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

spunkshui posted:

No they had some online program (champions academy or something) ready to go through a vendor. They can’t afford it for all the students so they’re going back to the half-rear end poo poo the teachers threw together as a last-minute emergency measure like the end of the last school year. It’s some galaxy-brain poo poo.

e: Roseville elementary/middle district.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 18, 2020

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Mortgage rates are at lows never seen in people's lifetimes and housing prices are soft, it's all over not just your spot in SD

Yeah, prices aren't really that soft though, that's the problem.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what if we just held all the kids back a year and gave them a Very Long Summer

No one wants to graduate at 19!!!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I suppose my most burning question (and it's one Newsom got asked point blank today and gave no answer to) is what exactly do people think is going to happen with all the families whose children are too young to watch themselves and whose single parent or two parents have to work to stay alive? I'm not asking this be an rear end in a top hat, I would really love to hear what mental picture they have constructed in that scenario. People who need to work are still going to get their child taken care of some way. Newsom can shutdown the public schools, and potentially the private schools, and even the childcare centers that use state licensing and depend of those state mandates to function, but he cannot shutdown the assorted off-the-books and backyard daycares that have been active this whole summer and will continue to be active as this pandemic continues. Those daycares are of course of very varying quality and it's unfortunate that they'll be one of the only options for parents now. One thing that I already know is happening is that the parents who I am close to at the university are already planning to just pool money and hire private teachers for homeschooling together.

Several of the students I work with are single mothers of color. They're telling me that they are basically passing children in groups between assorted grandparents. Kids are still going to be congregating in these places outside schools. Lots of people are acting like going full online is going to be keeping children in their houses and not interacting with each other, which will be the case for families that can afford to have one parent off work or have access to private nannies or even live-in grandparents. But for a lot of people it's going to be that children just congregate somewhere else besides school, at daycares or in babysitting groups that form up between parents.

Newsom didn't have any good choices when it came to schools, but it must be made abundantly clear that the choice he decided on will directly gently caress over poorer communities and communities of color.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Aardvark posted:

No one wants to graduate at 19!!!

You can graduate early, can't you? :downs:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e:

xarph posted:

The evening onshore winds would cause trains of BART’s size and weight coming down the peninsula to have to either slow way down, tip, or cost a fortune to build windbreaking walls along the entire run of track.

Source, which is basically answers every “what were they thinking” question about BART.

Some of their decisions were still wrong, but they weren’t made in a vacuum.
Only $10 on the kindle? hell yeah

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 18, 2020

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I suppose my most burning question (and it's one Newsom got asked point blank today and gave no answer to) is what exactly do people think is going to happen with all the families whose children are too young to watch themselves and whose single parent or two parents have to work to stay alive? I'm not asking this be an rear end in a top hat, I would really love to hear what mental picture they have constructed in that scenario. People who need to work are still going to get their child taken care of some way. Newsom can shutdown the public schools, and potentially the private schools, and even the childcare centers that use state licensing and depend of those state mandates to function, but he cannot shutdown the assorted off-the-books and backyard daycares that have been active this whole summer and will continue to be active as this pandemic continues. Those daycares are of course of very varying quality and it's unfortunate that they'll be one of the only options for parents now. One thing that I already know is happening is that the parents who I am close to at the university are already planning to just pool money and hire private teachers for homeschooling together.

Several of the students I work with are single mothers of color. They're telling me that they are basically passing children in groups between assorted grandparents. Kids are still going to be congregating in these places outside schools. Lots of people are acting like going full online is going to be keeping children in their houses and not interacting with each other, which will be the case for families that can afford to have one parent off work or have access to private nannies or even live-in grandparents. But for a lot of people it's going to be that children just congregate somewhere else besides school, at daycares or in babysitting groups that form up between parents.

Newsom didn't have any good choices when it came to schools, but it must be made abundantly clear that the choice he decided on will directly gently caress over poorer communities and communities of color.

This is playing out in silence in millions of households. It's a loving disaster even for the people who have the means to somehow survive it. We're in the same boat and our entire social network of parents is collapsing into self imposed isolated bubbles either of necessity or convenience (moving away to parents house, out of state, boonies wherever). Whole communities are dissolving and reforming. Truly a collapsed and failed state.

Whoo!!!!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

This is why the lack of federal response to any of this is such a disaster. States don’t really have the means or budgets to do anything other than mandating things shut down. It’s a real catch 22, if they don’t shut things down you turn into a covid disaster zone like Florida, if they do shut things down they run into the problems you’ve described. Meanwhile the federal government will blame the states for any and all the problems that are happening.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

e.pilot posted:

This is why the lack of federal response to any of this is such a disaster.
Exactly. Those stupid astroturfed openings pushed Newsom to reopen well in advance of when it was safe to do so. We were already depleting the Rainy Day Fund that Brown had built up, and without federal aid or assurances that hole was only going to get blown wider.

It doesn't help things that the loving toddlers at the helm of the government are acting like this is a runny nose and the Dems are using it for political purposes.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

No federal response and the destroyed social safety nets. Who knew you couldn't run a country on libertarian every-man-for-himself fantasies

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The "dems are just using this for poltiical purposes!" poo poo is infuriating. I would loving hope that they were! If one political party fumbled the response to a loving pandemic and killed over a hundred thousand people, I'd certainly hope that their oppostion would make them pay a political price for it. Leaders that do bad poo poo getting booted out is sort of the entire idea behind this "democracy" thing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

https://twitter.com/cathleendecker/status/1284564107228852224?s=20

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

e.pilot posted:

e:

Only $10 on the kindle? hell yeah

I felt like digging out the exact quote for goons who don't want to search through a 350 page book.

quote:

“In the end, PBTB decided on steel wheels on steel track, with the gauge set at a recommended 5 feet, 6 inches instead of the worldwide standard gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches. The nonstandard gauge—chosen because the lighter cars that ran on the narrower track would be more stable in Bay Area winds—received harsh criticism, primarily because BART trains could not share traditional railroad tracks.”

— BART: The Dramatic History of the Bay Area Rapid Transit System by Michael C. Healy
https://a.co/456PsFM

Another BART book is Divided Loyalties, which summarizes the events that invented whistleblower protection laws.

E: another fun anecdote. The bill in question was about forcing BART to complete extensions within the first three counties (including much of the East Bay) before extending outward.

quote:

“Soon after signing the Boatwright bill into law, then-governor Jerry Brown took his first ride on BART from Daly City to the Embarcadero Station, accompanied by the general manager at that time, Frank C. Herringer, and me, as director of media and public affairs. While getting a briefing inside the operator’s cab of the train, Brown asked when BART would be going to the San Francisco airport, exclaiming that the extension should be a priority. He was then reminded that he’d just signed a bill that would prevent that from happening anytime soon. “Was that a bad bill?” the governor asked. “Well, it prevents us from going to the airport,” Herringer responded. The governor looked at Herringer and then at me. “Hmm,” was all he said at that point.”

— BART: The Dramatic History of the Bay Area Rapid Transit System by Michael C. Healy
https://a.co/ewbJcI9

xarph fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 18, 2020

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This pedophile-on-the-move story taking place in the OC/IE is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

xarph posted:

I felt like digging out the exact quote for goons who don't want to search through a 350 page book.

quote:

“In the end, PBTB decided on steel wheels on steel track, with the gauge set at a recommended 5 feet, 6 inches instead of the worldwide standard gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches. The nonstandard gauge—chosen because the lighter cars that ran on the narrower track would be more stable in Bay Area winds—received harsh criticism, primarily because BART trains could not share traditional railroad tracks.”

I’m having trouble parsing this. They selected a wider gauge because the standard narrow gauge was MORE stable in Bay Area winds?