Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

esselfortium posted:

which episode was it? now i want to rewatch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe but it otherwise isn't to my taste for various reasons. stuff like Citrus or gunjo is fine but it's not really stuff I like, before getting into the fact that like most of anything a lot of it just isn't very good.

e: i am not trying to imply citrus and gunjo are similar manga lol, I mean those are examples at opposite extremes if anything.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the beelzebub guy definitel ywatched this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

maybe but it otherwise isn't to my taste for various reasons. stuff like Citrus or gunjo is fine but it's not really stuff I like, before getting into the fact that like most of anything a lot of it just isn't very good.

e: i am not trying to imply citrus and gunjo are similar manga lol, I mean those are examples at opposite extremes if anything.
congrats on not liking two random yuri manga

hell yea

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Acerbatus posted:

how the hell are you deciding you won't like any dramatic yuri manga based on two extremely specific examples

what's even the point of claiming there's more comedy yuri than drama if you're now saying you don't even like the drama!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

how the hell are you deciding you won't like any dramatic yuri manga based on two extremely specific examples

Where on earth did you get that? I like plenty.

I said there's more hits for comedy than drama, and then that's narrowed down further by personal dislikes and then some being objectively bad. The original point was

Endorph posted:

That said yuri anime is relatively rare but theres a shitton of yuri manga

as we have been talking about dramas so far, I was pointing out that just because there's a shitton of yuri manga doesn't mean much.

Endorph posted:

congrats on not liking two random yuri manga

Thanks!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:magemage:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

glad they're using MPC like a true connoisseur

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

No

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Normally I watch gay and or magical girl animes...

But today I want to watch war dramas.

I've seen half of legend of the galactic heroes. I've seen the 2000's rear end jungle gundam. The gundam historic battles gundam. And the one with amuro in it though I forget how it ends. I saw gundam seed like 15 years ago. I saw that recent one that had a sharp decline in quality over the course of 12 episodes 1-2 years ago.

What should I watch now?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Toalpaz posted:

I've seen half of legend of the galactic heroes. I've seen the 2000's rear end jungle gundam. The gundam historic battles gundam. And the one with amuro in it though I forget how it ends. I saw gundam seed like 15 years ago. I saw that recent one that had a sharp decline in quality over the course of 12 episodes 1-2 years ago.

What should I watch now?

Zipang, Star Blazers, Aldonoah, Yukikaze, the second Patlabor movie probably are the first thing that comes to mind.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

That Works posted:

Zipang, Star Blazers, Aldonoah, Yukikaze, the second Patlabor movie probably are the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm looking at the Star Blazer's dub credits and...?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

That's wild.

This is the one I was thinking of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Blazers:_Space_Battleship_Yamato_2199

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The rest of logh

more seriously - FLAG?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toalpaz posted:

Same name, different person

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Toalpaz posted:

What should I watch now?

Wait which gundam didn't you like? There have only been two novel gundam series over the last half decade. There was Gundam Reconguista in G which had some great character design and character animation but was a complete mess. Then there was Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans which had very weighty robot fight scenes and concluded in the personal destruction of all the main characters over the course of the second cour.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're forgetting the half dozen shows based on gunpla, Thunderbolt and Origins

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yo yeah watch Gundam Thunderbolt if you have not

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Wait which gundam didn't you like? There have only been two novel gundam series over the last half decade. There was Gundam Reconguista in G which had some great character design and character animation but was a complete mess. Then there was Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans which had very weighty robot fight scenes and concluded in the personal destruction of all the main characters over the course of the second cour.

I haven't watched a lot of gundam just offering examples of what I've seen... That last show wasn't a gundam show it just happened to be the most recent so I put it in the end. drat it's forgettable... It has like... people in black jumpsuit faction... and a knightly faction? Anyways...

Yeah maybe I'll watch more gundams.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, Price of Smiles was bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toalpaz posted:

I haven't watched a lot of gundam just offering examples of what I've seen... That last show wasn't a gundam show it just happened to be the most recent so I put it in the end. drat it's forgettable... It has like... people in black jumpsuit faction... and a knightly faction? Anyways...

Yeah maybe I'll watch more gundams.

Code Geass, I'm betting.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah, Price of Smiles was bad

It was this.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Code Geass, I'm betting.

I said a year or two ago... I remember code geass. Pizza hut!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how do you see someone describe a show as forgettable and decide they're talking about code geass

code geass is one of the most unforgettable anime ever made

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

how do you see someone describe a show as forgettable and decide they're talking about code geass

code geass is one of the most unforgettable anime ever made

People like and remember shows differently :shrug:.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I might watch... Gundam Origin... and Gundam 8th MS team. I think that other one I saw was gundam igloo. Because I want to watch them in universe cronological order...

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

just don't be one of the unfortunate souls who deny themselves Turn A Gundam just because it's technically the 'last' one, and then burn out on the bad ones before they get there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watching gundam in a specific order is a fool's game, just watch whichever series' seem interesting. also i actually love greco but i don't think i'd rec it for what you're looking for specifically

Neddy Seagoon posted:

People like and remember shows differently :shrug:.

sure people have differing opinions on shows but in terms of memorability how do you forget the anime that has a part where a guy shouts "YOU ONLY ORDERED THEM TO SHOOT ME! YOU SHOULD HAVE ORDERED THEM TO KILL ME!"

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

just don't be one of the unfortunate souls who deny themselves Turn A Gundam just because it's technically the 'last' one, and then burn out on the bad ones before they get there

I am one of those unfortunate souls. I burned out at one point during this watch order a year or so ago. But there's something appealing about this marathon regardless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally no uc show is worth watching tbh

like the closest anything in that timeline gets to watchable is the start of zz when yazan is snidely whiplash

its basically tomino making like 5 failed attempts at making anime about fascism and imperialism being bad and then a bunch of people who watched those as kids going 'so you mean fascism is... good?'. and then tomino realized that you can have political points *and* make shows that arent like watching paint dry so he made turn-a and g-reco

war in the pocket is okay tho

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

literally no uc show is worth watching tbh

like the closest anything in that timeline gets to watchable is the start of zz when yazan is snidely whiplash

its basically tomino making like 5 failed attempts at making anime about fascism and imperialism being bad and then a bunch of people who watched those as kids going 'so you mean fascism is... good?'. and then tomino realized that you can have political points *and* make shows that arent like watching paint dry so he made turn-a and g-reco

war in the pocket is okay tho
I mean this with complete sincerity, but how can you say something so controversial and yet so brave?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i watched every gundam show in like 2008-2009 and hated most of them and now im just watching the stuff that isnt uc and going 'drat. this pwns. why did i waste my time, with the bad shows'. its the endpoint of a long arc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
early gundam has a lot of interesting moments and aspects but. yeah i've always just found tomino to be a more interesting director when his shows get weirder and goofier while still working in interesting themes, i like watching turn-a and greco more moment to moment than 0079 or zeta

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The only Gundam show I ever tried watching was Iron-Blooded Orphans, and that one kinda didn't do it for me. I liked the start with all the tank/mech battles on the planet, but after the initial action, the characters felt terribly bland, and I didn't like the space battles at all. I had heard it goes full-on nasty and tragic later on, but I'm not too keen on enduring 30+ episodes for that...

I really enjoyed Gurren Langan's take on mech fights, even when they took to space; Gunbuster/Diebuster was pretty rad; Giant Robo has genuinely amazing mech scenes. No idea if any Gundam series goes in that direction.

On an entirely unrelated note: I just finished Durarara x2 and genuinely loving hated almost everything related to the school kid characters. Show felt all over the place, too many subplots got dropped, way too many chat scenes, kinda eeeeeh character designs. Show should've just centered on Celty and maaaayyyyybeeeee Shizuo.

So here's a warning, rather than a recommendation, I guess?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

The only Gundam show I ever tried watching was Iron-Blooded Orphans, and that one kinda didn't do it for me. I liked the start with all the tank/mech battles on the planet, but after the initial action, the characters felt terribly bland, and I didn't like the space battles at all. I had heard it goes full-on nasty and tragic later on, but I'm not too keen on enduring 30+ episodes for that...

I really enjoyed Gurren Langan's take on mech fights, even when they took to space; Gunbuster/Diebuster was pretty rad; Giant Robo has genuinely amazing mech scenes. No idea if any Gundam series goes in that direction.

gundam shows are real robot shows, where mechs are military tech and treated mostly realistically. they do things beyond what modern tech can do, but not so far beyond that there's no logical explanation. the shows you listed are super robot shows, that run on logic closer to dragon ball z than anything resembling sci-fi.

g gundam is a gundam series that goes in that direction, however. it's also directed by the same guy as giant robo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
code geass is unforgettable alright, but not for favorable reasons

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The first Patlabor movie is the best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Probably going to read instead of watch, but I need more sports now that Haikyuu is done and I haven't gone through a basketball series yet, so: Slam Dunk vs Kuroko no Basket?