Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait

It’s a card game

That does not have a Trump card?

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Admiralty Flag posted:

The thing I heard about this game is the card you can play to cancel an opponent's move or card is "The Donald" card. Neither he nor the game designers had the wit to call it the Trump card.

Hmm.

That might be so bad it’s good.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Wait

It’s a card game

That does not have a Trump card?

???

That is because for such a vanity project someone would have to A) care enough or B) be witty enough to make one.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Baron von Eevl posted:

Donald Trump is willing to put his name on literally anything if he think it will make him a buck. The only differences between him and Gene Simmons Krusty the Clown are that his hair is slightly more ridiculous and his makeup is slightly less ridiculous.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

:chloe:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also Gene Simmons has helped create at least one thing that made the world a more enjoyable place.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Imagined posted:

Also Gene Simmons has helped create at least one thing that made the world a more enjoyable place.

Runaway, 1984 with Tom Selleck?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What the gently caress is that because it certainly wasn't Kiss

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Replacements cover of "Black Diamond" :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

There was a movie, called Congo from 1995 based off of a Michael Crichton novel. With genetically modified gorillas and a diamond trade conspiracy

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress is that because it certainly wasn't Kiss

He was kinda-sorta involved in Van Halen getting discovered, although his record label chose not to sign them a year-ish before their first album.

The Kiss Kasket is loving hilarious, too.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

canyoneer posted:

There was a movie, called Congo from 1995 based off of a Michael Crichton novel. With genetically modified gorillas and a diamond trade conspiracy

I believe they were pointing out the gorilla has a similar look on its face as the emoji.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Woozie66 posted:

I believe they were pointing out the gorilla has a similar look on its face as the emoji.

listen fella, i don't understand jokes and you can't make me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Prime avatar material

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jimmies: rustled

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

were the gorillas really supposed to be genetically modified? i remember a bit where someone's like "oh, they say the lost civilization here cross-bred gorillas with people," but i also remember that being presented as in-universe bullshit, just creepy legends, and the true horror is just that the gorillas were taught to be cops.

e: i put Congo on the Good side of Crighton's work, but maybe i just loved dumb poo poo as a child

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I actually had that Escape From New York game. It wasn't great (or good) but I remember giving it points for trying.

If I remember right, it was right around when I got into D&D so 1981 checks out

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Prime avatar material

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Doc Hawkins posted:

were the gorillas really supposed to be genetically modified? i remember a bit where someone's like "oh, they say the lost civilization here cross-bred gorillas with people," but i also remember that being presented as in-universe bullshit, just creepy legends, and the true horror is just that the gorillas were taught to be cops.

e: i put Congo on the Good side of Crighton's work, but maybe i just loved dumb poo poo as a child

I don't think that was a thing, there was just the one trained gorilla that knew sign language (which is also a real thing)

Also all of Crichton's stuff is trash, every single one of the movies were better than the books, the only times that has ever happened.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ante posted:

I don't think that was a thing, there was just the one trained gorilla that knew sign language (which is also a real thing)

Also all of Crichton's stuff is trash, every single one of the movies were better than the books, the only times that has ever happened.

The sign language thing is almost certainly not real, sorry.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ante posted:

Sphere and Congo are both better than their film adaptations, but that's hardly praise.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Randaconda posted:

The sign language thing is almost certainly not real, sorry.

look at this guy who has never heard of koko

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/06/gorillas-koko-sign-language-culture-animals/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/six-talking-apes-48085302/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's what they mean, iirc it was revealed Koko was a hoax.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That’s dumb. A hoax doesn’t look like a monkey.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
she still hung out with mr rogers and robin williams.

:colbert:

checkmate

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it was so much a hoax as that Koko's fluency was very much overstated.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ante posted:

Heinlein

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think it was so much a hoax as that Koko's fluency was very much overstated.

Koko learned individual words but there's no evidence beyond her trainer's claims that she had any notion of grammar.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ultrafilter posted:

Koko learned individual words but there's no evidence beyond her trainer's claims that she had any notion of grammar.

much like many posters

much like myself really

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Alex the parrot, now that motherfucker was smart. He could tell you what color a truck was no problem

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Also Ludlum.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hell, I'm willing to throw Phillip K Dick in there

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RandomFerret posted:

Hell, I'm willing to throw Phillip K Dick in there

Dick shouldn't be thrown around whenever you feel like it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

At least Philip K. Dick is fun as hell if only for the pure druggy conspiracy minded insanity (literally) of it all.

Like one of his stories starts with the main character getting accidentally zapped with a brainwashing ray by a secret agency, so now he sometimes thinks he's a literal rat because their identities got merged? He then goes on to uncover a conspiracy about one way teleportation to a different galaxy that supposedly solved earth's overpopulation but isn't all that it seems.

poo poo like Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall etc were cool but seriously sanitised for the general public, and even those were his more sane stories.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Correct, her vocabulary was robust, but she had no concept of syntax. Some chimpanzees do, a bit, but apparently human syntax is just really hosed, even parrots have trouble with it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

yikes

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

my favorite koko thing is this:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/these-photos-of-koko-the-gorilla-mourning-the-loss-of-robin

lol why even tell her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This was the most interesting gorilla experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkWS4t4l0k

ante posted:

I disagree: All of Crichtons stuff after Jurassic Park is garbage. You can tell that it's the exact moment he was like "oh is this the poo poo you animals want? Okay that's all I'll write from now on." The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, The Eaters of the Dead, and a few others were pretty decent.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Jul 18, 2020