Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im not reading the Q dude’s manifesto either but based on his rambling tweets he is revising Q lore to make trump one of the bad guys (which is how this poo poo’s gunna go for all these nutters eventually)

Q turning on trump is going to be hilarious because they'll gladly throw out 90% of their proofs.

The coronavirus happened under the joe biden presidency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can’t believe people still use this argument.

the government doesn’t need oprecedent to do poo poo. it just does them.

thinking they do us a childish understanding of politics

yeah.

if we're powerless to stop it from being used against us later, we're also powerless to stop it being used now. don't scold people for something they can't change.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the precedent/slippery slope argument was much more plausible before... *gestures all around*

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Alright then doomer braintrust, why hasn't the failing new york times been dismantled if there truly isn't anything stopping it? or CNN? I'm struggling to see how your snarky one liners square with reality.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magic Underwear posted:

Alright then doomer braintrust, why hasn't the failing new york times been dismantled if there truly isn't anything stopping it? or CNN? I'm struggling to see how your snarky one liners square with reality.

We already told you. They serve capital. There's no reason to dismantle them when they're performing as desired.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

why would they want or need to do that? burn all those relationships between reporters and DoD sources that are so useful in laundering consent for war for....what?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
trump and his base of morons hate cnn and the nyt. that doesn't mean the people who hold actual power and would have the means to dismantle them do.

it's incredibly useful to have media perceived as left-wing cheer on stuff like endless wars and policies disastrous for poor/non-white people.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Cup Runneth Over posted:

We already told you. They serve capital. There's no reason to dismantle them when they're performing as desired.

Epic High Five posted:

why would they want or need to do that? burn all those relationships between reporters and DoD sources that are so useful in laundering consent for war for....what?

Suspicious posted:

trump and his base of morons hate cnn and the nyt. that doesn't mean the people who hold actual power and would have the means to dismantle them do.

it's incredibly useful to have media perceived as left-wing cheer on stuff like endless wars and policies disastrous for poor/non-white people.

Wow, so trump has unlimited power, but also he doesn't wield any power at all. He's famously egotistical and fragile and self-serving and appearance obsessed and stupid but is willing to allow the mainstream media denigrate him nonstop for four years to invisibly further some murky long term goals that by all rights mean nothing to him. In your words he allows the MSM to exist to launder approval for a war...that he hasn't started yet? That he's about to start months before the election? Or maybe for the benefit of the next republican president? The shadowy cabal that controls trump and wants war for some reason decided that trump wasn't controllable enough to start their war? This is really confusing!

Maybe, just maybe, the simpler explanation for why nobody is going after the media is that things are basically what they seem: trump despises non-sycophantic media but going after them would be doomed to fail and make them look bad, because the first amendment is still in tact. There is no need to resort to the 11th dimensional chess argument.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Magic Underwear posted:

Wow, so trump has unlimited power, but also he doesn't wield any power at all. He's famously egotistical and fragile and self-serving and appearance obsessed and stupid but is willing to allow the mainstream media denigrate him nonstop for four years to invisibly further some murky long term goals that by all rights mean nothing to him. In your words he allows the MSM to exist to launder approval for a war...that he hasn't started yet? That he's about to start months before the election? Or maybe for the benefit of the next republican president? The shadowy cabal that controls trump and wants war for some reason decided that trump wasn't controllable enough to start their war? This is really confusing!

Maybe, just maybe, the simpler explanation for why nobody is going after the media is that things are basically what they seem: trump despises non-sycophantic media but going after them would be doomed to fail and make them look bad, because the first amendment is still in tact. There is no need to resort to the 11th dimensional chess argument.

I think the simplest answer is "they just don't want to kill those news sources." Trump has proven he can kind of do whatever he wants and get away with it, I'm sure if he really wanted to get rid of them, he could do it. But I think he doesn't REALLY want to, as having a "villain" to get his fan base angry about is how he gets tons of support. He's also taken a lot of time to craft a distrust in media in general with "fake news" to get people to listen to him and only him, and having CNN etc are a key to that narrative.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

why does everything have to center around Trump lol, Trump is obsessed with the media even if he hates it because he's a narcissist. That's as deep as it goes and as much as he's ever considered it.

It's the three letters that love it how I described and they have indeed been trying to push him toward more hot wars and regime change. One of the biggest complaints from the Dems in fact is that he hasn't been "tough" enough on Venezuela and Iran and poo poo

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
THE real answer is that trump loves all attention, even (and maybe especially) negative attention, which is why he never bothered moving from Twitter to Parler. He wants the biggest audience as possible, and dismantling news sources would shrink his audience

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Epic High Five posted:

why does everything have to center around Trump lol, Trump is obsessed with the media even if he hates it because he's a narcissist. That's as deep as it goes and as much as he's ever considered it.

It's the three letters that love it how I described and they have indeed been trying to push him toward more hot wars and regime change. One of the biggest complaints from the Dems in fact is that he hasn't been "tough" enough on Venezuela and Iran and poo poo

I think we can definitely agree on that. trump is notably dovish in a party of demented bloodthirsty psychopaths. More dovish than the neolib establishment even. Somehow nobody has been able to draw a simple enough picture book to convince him that war will make people like him. I think it's good evidence that he isn't entirely a puppet.

Same for coronavirus: if an evil genius cabal controlled trump they would have seen that getting it under control right away would have given him an overwhelming win against someone as weak as biden. Instead, like in many past cases, trump acted like trump and now faces a ruined economy and crushing defeat. Only thing that explains such a cabal is one so much like trump that you wouldn't call it "controlling" him at all, just enabling him. If the right wing deep state really controls trump to further conservative political power they're doing a really poo poo job.

Magic Underwear has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jul 18, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magic Underwear posted:

Not everything is about Trump you lib

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Magic Underwear posted:

the bourgeois state is ultimately governed on the basis of class interests, specifically that of the capitalist class, and not the interests of any individual moron who happens to bumble his way into office hth.

and the capitalist class is very happy to have a servile liberal media to defuse anything that could threaten their power, hth again. this is why actual leftist media gets marginalized and leftist journalists get slandered and blackballed constantly while useless libs get to keep spreading their drivel as much as their owners want.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Magic Underwear posted:

He/They ARE "going after the media" though.

You do know he's called for jailing reporters for treason, put bulls eyes on their backs at his rallies, called for rescinding their "pulitzers" and openly hosed with reporters at press conferences in overt sexist and racist tones. He doesn't "allow" CNN and MSNBC to exist because he can't simply pull out his pen and write "No More CNN" and make it so. He doesn't need to "kill" the NYT, WAPO or PBS and he can't. How would that work? He just calls all that reporting fake news and his base eats it up.

^^^No one is arguing what I bolded up there^^^ either.

I'm not sure what you're on about here but I keep reading your posts as if they were delivered by your avatar and you seem to just be ranting while sounding a boat horn that drowns out an argument only you seem to be making. I went back and re-read the last few pages to make sure I'm not crazy so maybe you can quote the posts that seem to be making the argument you're railing agai...

**HONK**

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

BiggerBoat posted:

He/They ARE "going after the media" though.

You do know he's called for jailing reporters for treason, put bulls eyes on their backs at his rallies, called for rescinding their "pulitzers" and openly hosed with reporters at press conferences in overt sexist and racist tones. He doesn't "allow" CNN and MSNBC to exist because he can't simply pull out his pen and write "No More CNN" and make it so. He doesn't need to "kill" the NYT, WAPO or PBS and he can't. How would that work? He just calls all that reporting fake news and his base eats it up.

^^^No one is arguing what I bolded up there^^^ either.

I'm not sure what you're on about here but I keep reading your posts as if they were delivered by your avatar and you seem to just be ranting while sounding a boat horn that drowns out an argument only you seem to be making. I went back and re-read the last few pages to make sure I'm not crazy so maybe you can quote the posts that seem to be making the argument you're railing agai...

**HONK**

it started with someone asking why NY doesn't somehow destroy fox news. all I've been trying to argue is that 1. you can't destroy fox news because the first amendment and 2. it would be a terrible idea to do so even in the collective cspam power fantasy. then it kind of spun off a bit.

the doomer contingent here is strong and they don’t bother to engage with reality, they just assert the the worst possible thing they can think of as truth and throw in a "lmao". it gets on my nerves. I'm going to post here less because I realize now that this is the echo chamber not the discussion forum.

thank you for the kind words about my avatar.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magic Underwear posted:

it started with someone asking why NY doesn't somehow destroy fox news. all I've been trying to argue is that 1. you can't destroy fox news because the first amendment and 2. it would be a terrible idea to do so even in the collective cspam power fantasy. then it kind of spun off a bit.

the doomer contingent here is strong and they don’t bother to engage with reality, they just assert the the worst possible thing they can think of as truth and throw in a "lmao". it gets on my nerves. I'm going to post here less because I realize now that this is the echo chamber not the discussion forum.

yea it does sound like you would prefer D&D. best of luck

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Magic Underwear posted:

You're welcome.

OK. I actually had to go look. And I'm engaging with the reality of your posts. I read them all with the little question mark thingy and...uh...while that itself is something else, I assume this is what you're referring to:

Philthy posted:

NY where Fox News is headquartered has some very strong anti-racism laws. Why not have them step in and basically force them to clean house.

I don't think that's really saying what you seem to be asserting, which is that the person said "have NY destroy FOX News".

"Clean House" in this context, to me, means fire and get rid of the racists, sexual harassers and sex pests and enforce workplace discrimination laws. Then you went off on some weird thing about Trump's powers and destroying other media outlets, called people out, invented straw men and argued against people saying things they never said and well...something something... and now you seem to wanna take your ball and go home because you don't make any loving sense. So unless I quoted the wrong person the onus is on you to specifically explain what your problem is and clarify your pos...

*HONK*

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not everything is about Trump you lib

This as well, the president doesn't actually wield a monopoly of power.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The government can do what they want and they can change or ignore the rules if they want. It's all power and will.

Also, huge loving lol at "well they can't do x because the constitution says to pretty please not do that". Brilliant legal and historical analysis right there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the SCOTUS literally just rubber stamped a poll tax lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five posted:

One of the biggest complaints from the Dems in fact is that he hasn't been "tough" enough on Venezuela and Iran and poo poo

i haven’t been hearing many dems calling for trump to be tough on iran, ive mostly heard criticism that he withdrew from Obama’s nuclear deal? is this a thing outside maybe a handful of uberzionist joe lieberman style succdems?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

the roberts court has abrogated multiple amendments too lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Biden has been harping on Venezuela a lot.

There was some criticism of Iran at the time but it’s definetly in the background now

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five posted:

technically only a poll tax for felons, which is bullshit, but if they’re letting states flat out ban felons from voting for life then they surely won’t gaf about this

the most hosed up part of the whole case tho, is:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/supreme-court-florida-felons-poll-tax.amp posted:

Just as critically, over an eight-day trial, Hinkle exposed a secret that Republicans tried desperately to hide: The state has no idea how much ex-felons actually owe. It has kept few records of court debt, and those records that do exist are often inscrutable. As the judge explained:

A group of well-trained, highly educated individuals—a professor specializing in this field with a team of doctoral candidates from a major research university—made diligent efforts over a long period to obtain [court debt] information on 153 randomly selected felons. They found that information was often unavailable over the internet or by telephone and that, remarkably, there were inconsistencies in the available information for all but 3 of the 153 individuals.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i haven’t been hearing many dems calling for trump to be tough on iran, ive mostly heard criticism that he withdrew from Obama’s nuclear deal? is this a thing outside maybe a handful of uberzionist joe lieberman style succdems?

Cuba is the better example, but Iran is only just something they aren't talking about. The AIPAC faction won the primaries and escalation with Iran is going to be their price for not explicitly campaigning for Trump in the GE (they will still explicitly campaign for Trump)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

technically only a poll tax for felons, which is bullshit, but if they’re letting states flat out ban felons from voting for life then they surely won’t gaf about this

the most hosed up part of the whole case tho, is:

if the state can’t prove how much someone owes then how can they stop them from voting? what exactly is the mechanism here, do they not let them register?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Magic Underwear posted:

you know that when you say poo poo like this all you're doing is basically admitting that you're wrong and you know it, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

if the state can’t prove how much someone owes then how can they stop them from voting? what exactly is the mechanism here, do they not let them register?

everyone who might owe money cannot vote. that's the whole point.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

uncurable mlady posted:

You have to prove you don't owe money in order to vote.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
literally a poll tax and a literacy test rolled into one jfc

so in other words the fix is in, trump wins florida

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cerebral Bore posted:

so in other words the fix is in, trump wins florida

it's lovely and a brazen disregard for voters who wanted to allow felons to vote, but it's basically keeping the status quo of florida elections, it hardly guarantees a trump win, especially since their chud governor is eagerly sacrificing all his republican-voting olds to appease the mouse theme park bottom line

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

it's lovely and a brazen disregard for voters who wanted to allow felons to vote, but it's basically keeping the status quo of florida elections, it hardly guarantees a trump win, especially since their chud governor is eagerly sacrificing all his republican-voting olds to appease the mouse theme park bottom line

unless, of course, the election officials suddenly start demanding that poor people and minorities prove they don't owe the state money for their vote to count and make the process to do so so onerous that most people won't bother.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cerebral Bore posted:

unless, of course, the election officials suddenly start demanding that poor people and minorities prove they don't owe the state money for their vote to count and make the process to do so so onerous that most people won't bother.

no, the bullshit rule only applies to felons, who just flat-out weren't allowed to vote previously. it came to be when florida voters approved a ballot question giving felons the right to vote "after completing their sentence" and the GOP-controlled florida legislature decided to "interpret" this to mean they had to pay all back court fees and fines. i don't give the GOP any benefit of the doubt on voter suppression but this particular thing doesn't give them any new tools for it compared to prior elections when felons simply couldn't vote no matter what.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Just lol at calling Trump dovish when the only reason you haven't started 8 more forever wars is because a) Trump has made it pretty clear that he wants other countries to pay for American aid in their wars. b) He's fundamentally a coward and is deathly afraid of 'losing' a war and being seen as week, easier to just spin the wheels. Remember how easily Erdogan and his buddies got Trump to abandon the Kurds?

Oh and just because cool avatar/bad post dude hates it: lmao lmao lmao

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

this guy's still alive (for now), but it doesn't look like he's having a good time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/comments/htnxle/talk_shit_get_hit_covid/

his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/S3xsmith

he claims he's allegedly feeling better, but it's only been a day and he hasn't had his sense of taste return yet.

edit:

quote:

Just an update:

The last 5 days I have been sick AF. Fever 4 nights in a row that went up to 103 and wouldn’t drop below 100 until yesterday finally. Waking up 20 times per night drenched in sweat like I had just gotten out of a swimming pool. Terrible body aches and the nastiest chills ever. Chills that legitimately cut right through you. Lost my sense of taste. It’s still not back. Gingerale tastes like a lacroix and anything I eat tastes just like warm salt. Dry cough, shortness of breath, standing up out of bed felt like I was doing hill sprints, nausea, diarrhea and dizziness.

Today I woke up finally feeling like I’m
Coming out of it. No more fever. 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

no, the bullshit rule only applies to felons, who just flat-out weren't allowed to vote previously. it came to be when florida voters approved a ballot question giving felons the right to vote "after completing their sentence" and the GOP-controlled florida legislature decided to "interpret" this to mean they had to pay all back court fees and fines. i don't give the GOP any benefit of the doubt on voter suppression but this particular thing doesn't give them any new tools for it compared to prior elections when felons simply couldn't vote no matter what.

all right in that case the effects will be more limited, but how this will go is that any chud felons will get their repayments fast-tracked and/or forgiven while any and all records of how much black felons owe will mysteriously disappear

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mr Interweb posted:

this guy's still alive (for now), but it doesn't look like he's having a good time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/comments/htnxle/talk_shit_get_hit_covid/

his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/S3xsmith

he claims he's allegedly feeling better, but it's only been a day and he hasn't had his sense of taste return yet.

edit:

No joke most people say it eases off for a day or two and right when you're thinking you're past it that's when it really sticks it to ya.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

No joke most people say it eases off for a day or two and right when you're thinking you're past it that's when it really sticks it to ya.

oh yeah, it doesn't look like the dude's out of the woods by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What's the rationale for not allowing prisoners let alone felons to vote? I know what the real reason is but what's their excuse for doing it?