Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

I probably wouldn’t invest any more points into cultists than the minimum, since they exist to hold objectives and die (for chaos!). You should probably consider the two extremes: a 10-cultist unit for hiding behind terrain and holding objectives and a 30-cultist block to throw at things as a distraction. A large block is going to be vulnerable to Blast weapons but the morale losses are waaaaaaay lighter than 8th so they should still go a decent way. There’s also a better chance a large unit will live long enough for you to use the respawn strat.

I wouldn’t go too heavy into cultists either way, but a couple units have their place.

I appreciate the reply, I know I've been peppering this thread with a ton of questions. I have been into Warhammer on and off for years but I haven't really actually played more than a handful of games with some extremely unoptimal armies, so I'm trying to go hard this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I haven't been able to go through much 9th info yet, and have also been leaning on the thread for analysis and answers. I very much appreciate all the good thinking you're all doing.

Also will I finally get my Chimeras out of the garage?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Chimeras are probably not terrible actually. They barely went up in points, and parking them on objectives with dudes inside might be really important this edition. At least with the current mission design, that’s a way to win. Holding objectives and blocking opponents is ultra important. Unfortunately imperial guard in general doesn’t look too great. They have the great vehicles and they benefit a lot from both move and shoot heavy without penalty, as well as being able to shoot in melee. However since everyone will bring the anti-vehicle stuff and guard doesn’t have any invulns, it’s gonna be rough times. I like the idea of a tanks and chimeras list though. For some reason tank commander doesn’t look to have gone up much, but normal tanks have. To the point where they’re almost equal in points and everyone was using commanders only anyway. It’s so silly, I’m assuming I’m missing something.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 18, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a channel that provides good battle reports cut down to 30-45 minutes? I don't need all the chit-chat, measuring etc.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Chimeras are probably not terrible actually. They barely went up in points, and parking them on objectives with dudes inside might be really important this edition. At least with the current mission design, that’s a way to win. Holding objectives and blocking opponents is ultra important. Unfortunately imperial guard in general doesn’t look too great. They have the great vehicles and they benefit a lot from both move and shoot heavy without penalty, as well as being able to shoot in melee. However since everyone will bring the anti-vehicle stuff and guard doesn’t have any invulns, it’s gonna be rough times. I like the idea of a tanks and chimeras list though. For some reason tank commander doesn’t look to have gone up much, but normal tanks have. To the point where they’re almost equal in points and everyone was using commanders only anyway. It’s so silly, I’m assuming I’m missing something.

The big problem is how easy it is to give away secondaries as Guard.

Thin The Ranks or Attrition? Easy pick really with large numbers of weak infantry units.

Assassination? 3 points for every character and you have 3 tank commanders (which you need to kill) and at least 1 other relatively easy to kill HQ.

Then you have a bunch of vehicles, which I think scores with Bring It Down.

I think it will be tough to play as Guard simply because you'll go into a game knowing there's lots of secondaries that you can easily give away, which means you really need to maximise those primaries (and deny them to your opponent) which is where we may see some Chimera usage I guess.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Is there a channel that provides good battle reports cut down to 30-45 minutes? I don't need all the chit-chat, measuring etc.

Search for "40k in 40 minutes" on Youtube

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Mikey Purp posted:

I was watching a tabletop tactics vid last night where they heavily implied that it was #3. Which I agree seems like a breathtakingly stupid way to approach the new edition but at least there's hope, I guess?

Do we really have to wait for another round of codexes before things get back to normal?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Snail Information posted:

Do we really have to wait for another round of codexes before things get back to normal?

Taking a crack at this meme thing

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Pretend i put "refining" in quotation marks like so.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Far too much credit there.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah probably

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Snail Information posted:

Normal like space marines are by far the strongest army with all the best tools? Or normal like the Iron Hands invincible dreadnought? Or normal like the couple of years where apace marines were sort of worthless and not worth playing?

There's some sort of promised land in which everything is perfectly balanced and all the codices frolic together in harmony but I don't think I've ever seen it. Arguably these points costs may bring us further from that promised land than immediately prior but this thing is sort of granular. Everything is going to be out of whack for a while and the only thing that will be almost certainly true is the Marine players that make up half the player base will be fine.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the last time i made an earnest attempt at playing warhams (maybe like 8 years ago, it was at least before i met my wife and 2 kids ago), the constant chatter in this thread was that games workshop is dying, did they die yet/are they still dying?

i just picked up that humble bundle and the hunger is coming back, thinking about going to my parents house to grab my old models......especially since i have a spacious basement now

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
they just released their best-selling box ever

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

John Romero posted:

the last time i made an earnest attempt at playing warhams (maybe like 8 years ago, it was at least before i met my wife and 2 kids ago), the constant chatter in this thread was that games workshop is dying, did they die yet/are they still dying?

i just picked up that humble bundle and the hunger is coming back, thinking about going to my parents house to grab my old models......especially since i have a spacious basement now

No, they changed some management and it's the opposite now. Train still Choo choo'in

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Romero posted:

Games Workshop's share price has went up about 2000% since December 2011

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

John Romero posted:

did they die yet/are they still dying?

Nope. They’ve had back-to-back-to-back record breaking profits with no sign of slowing down. They a lot better on literally everything from community, to models, to rules, to being chill; than they were 5-10 years ago. They only thing that’s worse is prices. I think only a few things can slow them down at this point is 1) pushing the fans away with unmitigated greed (if they keep raising prices despite record profits, eventually it’ll be too expensive for new people to jump on board). 2) alienating the fan base with their insatiable need for frivolous legal action - this second one might not even be realistic, since a lot of people don’t give a poo poo that their toy provider is being predatorily litigatious but they’ve managed to remove a lot of the stain of being complete shitbags by being pretty cool for a little. Though they still go after a normal guy making plastic wound tokens in his basement if it even remotely looks like their icons or whatever. More likely a third 3) option is them making really bad rules again, which might also make some people leave. They’re in all likely good for years and years even if they started pissing everything away right now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Didn't they just rather nicely ask him not to do it and not come waving in with lawyers wielding power suitcases? I recall seeing that being mentioned in this thread or the AoS one at least.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Nope. They’ve had back-to-back-to-back record breaking profits with no sign of slowing down. They a lot better on literally everything from community, to models, to rules, to being chill; than they were 5-10 years ago. They only thing that’s worse is prices. I think only a few things can slow them down at this point is 1) pushing the fans away with unmitigated greed (if they keep raising prices despite record profits, eventually it’ll be too expensive for new people to jump on board). 2) alienating the fan base with their insatiable need for frivolous legal action - this second one might not even be realistic, since a lot of people don’t give a poo poo that their toy provider is being predatorily litigatious but they’ve managed to remove a lot of the stain of being complete shitbags by being pretty cool for a little. Though they still go after a normal guy making plastic wound tokens in his basement if it even remotely looks like their icons or whatever. More likely a third 3) option is them making really bad rules again, which might also make some people leave. They’re in all likely good for years and years even if they started pissing everything away right now.

That's awesome. I was jumping in right when they switched from metal to resin and everyone kept telling me "yeah dude they are crazy assholes". I had noticed a new games workshop opened in my state in the past few years as well.

i remember one site you could order from for cheap made you download a spreadsheet and call them to order

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
assuming know no fear is the box you all are talking about? interesting. never thought they would put a game mat in, that's some heroclix poo poo. i guess they did change

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Games Workshop's share price has went up about 2000% since December 2011

Didn't they turn down government pandemic stimulus money with "no, we're fine, thanks?"

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

John Romero posted:

assuming know no fear is the box you all are talking about? interesting. never thought they would put a game mat in, that's some heroclix poo poo. i guess they did change

Know No Fear was about 3 years ago. The box we're talking about is called Indomitus. It has about twice the models as Know No Fear (Space Marines and Necrons this time vs Space Marines and Death Guard) and the new 9th edition rulebook.

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't they turn down government pandemic stimulus money with "no, we're fine, thanks?"

Yeah I'm pretty sure they received it and then returned it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Dawgstar posted:

They paid it back when they were offered it... mostly because there's a bunch of legal ramifications if they'd kept it, it was less of a altruistic move than a lot of nerds made it out to be.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Man there's so many units I kind of want to buy to bolster my armies a bit in 9th.

My Guard for sure need a Wyvern because 100ish points to get 24 shots re-rolling wounds re-rolling 1s to hit against big units is too good to pass up. I think I also need to finally give in and buy some Bullgryns, I know they were awesome in 8th but I think if I want to stand a chance of winning in 9th I need a unit that can sit on objectives and not die to shooting or close combat, as you can't just launch Guardsmen up the board at the last minute. Luckily I own a bunch of Chimeras and Hellhounds which I think will potentially be very good, and I also own a Hellhammer which I think is possibly the best super heavy if the weapon wording is updated to ignore benefits to cover rather than just improved armour saves.

For the Grey Knights I actually think I have everything I want, though I am tempted to get a Land Raider Redeemer or Crusader.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK I finally settled on my army... and nowhere online has any Death Guard in stock :negative:

And obviously at this point anything from Dark Imperium is getting hard to find for a fair price too. gently caress.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sab669 posted:

OK I finally settled on my army... and nowhere online has any Death Guard in stock :negative:

And obviously at this point anything from Dark Imperium is getting hard to find for a fair price too. gently caress.

Yeah that's some bad timing right there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You should still be able to find Know No Fear boxes lying around in places and if eBay doesn't have good prices on DG Dark Imperium halves then you can always wait for the inevitable Start Collecting box. DI is the only source of a Noxious Blightcaller model though which is rough (and a good reason to assume a Start Collecting box would just be the DG half of DI).

Kitchner posted:

Normal like space marines are by far the strongest army with all the best tools? Or normal like the Iron Hands invincible dreadnought? Or normal like the couple of years where apace marines were sort of worthless and not worth playing?

There's some sort of promised land in which everything is perfectly balanced and all the codices frolic together in harmony but I don't think I've ever seen it. Arguably these points costs may bring us further from that promised land than immediately prior but this thing is sort of granular. Everything is going to be out of whack for a while and the only thing that will be almost certainly true is the Marine players that make up half the player base will be fine.

According to playtester youtubers 9E was tested with all the Codex rules and points and is quite good but that's an unprovable statement at this point and sounds suspiciously like "it'll get better I promise"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh nice call, I was not aware of that set. Yea I found a few reasonably priced copies of that - sweet.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

According to playtester youtubers 9E was tested with all the Codex rules and points and is quite good but that's an unprovable statement at this point and sounds suspiciously like "it'll get better I promise"

Yeah I said earlier I have my doubts about this because some of the changes I really can't see how they'd make sense without something super radical. The example I used is why does a grenade launcher cost the same as a plasma gun for a guardsman? A grenade launcher just objectively isn't worth, even if it does have the blast for the frag grenade. I'm also not convinced as to how a Gretchin can cost the same as a Guardsman, but maybe Gretchin will get some crazy rule that boosts them.

I hope I'm wrong and there's some master stroke coming where GW has actually been working on loads of codices in secret and they will be released all together in December or something, but I'm a bit sceptical about it all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kitchner posted:

Yeah I said earlier I have my doubts about this because some of the changes I really can't see how they'd make sense without something super radical. The example I used is why does a grenade launcher cost the same as a plasma gun for a guardsman? A grenade launcher just objectively isn't worth, even if it does have the blast for the frag grenade. I'm also not convinced as to how a Gretchin can cost the same as a Guardsman, but maybe Gretchin will get some crazy rule that boosts them.

I hope I'm wrong and there's some master stroke coming where GW has actually been working on loads of codices in secret and they will be released all together in December or something, but I'm a bit sceptical about it all.

*Looks at his favorite Genestealer Cult models*

...yeah. :smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
GSC feel like the new Dark Eldar, when I was last playing they were just abandoned for a long time and not competitive in the slightest. Yet there was still at least one guy in my club who refused to stop playing them mostly to spite GW I reckon.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Do they charge up front for the Indomitous box or is it a bill when they ship like Amazon?

Unrelated: What do you guys consider the must have paints to be?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
It depends entirely on what you're going to be painting but agrax earthshade.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade, and Der Waffle Mous is probably correct that Agrax Earthshade is the more essential of the two, as more things that maybe ought to be washed black look almost as good washed brown than ought to be washed brown but look almost as good washed black.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Red, Yellow, Blue, Black, White, and then nuln oil and agrax earthshade IMO.

You can make whatever your want from there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

^burtle posted:

Do they charge up front for the Indomitous box or is it a bill when they ship like Amazon?

Unrelated: What do you guys consider the must have paints to be?

The preorder is upfront because they're doing it made-to-order

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Sab669 posted:

This and wet palette

Sab669 posted:

This plus wet palette. It’s hard to get a consistent mix going if your paints dry on a standard palette.

I’d add a utility brown and skin tone (one can cover both) and a dark metal like lead belcher.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Did GW move away from resin models? Last time I was dabbling with hobbystuff they had a resin line, I think called Finecast, and I did not care for them that much.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

I have been scouring the net for pre-release rules but cannot find any rule that says you can't deepstrike on the first turn.

I know this was a rule specific to matched play in 8th, and presumably may be again in 9th..but have we seen it written down anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Serdain posted:

I have been scouring the net for pre-release rules but cannot find any rule that says you can't deepstrike on the first turn.

I know this was a rule specific to matched play in 8th, and presumably may be again in 9th..but have we seen it written down anywhere?

Yes. In the matched play rules.