Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Groovelord Neato posted:

What's the rationale for not allowing prisoners let alone felons to vote? I know what the real reason is but what's their excuse for doing it?

"They're bad people" they're pretty blatant about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Groovelord Neato posted:

What's the rationale for not allowing prisoners let alone felons to vote? I know what the real reason is but what's their excuse for doing it?

they pretend to believe in a social contract that the prisoners/felons have violated and so can’t get the goodies like voting.

then they ignore or deride the idea of a social contract anytime it’s advantageous to them to do so

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

More of the usual fascist playbook of making sure anyone that might conceivably vote against you out to be literally subhuman.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lousy hat posted:

they pretend to believe in a social contract that the prisoners/felons have violated and so can’t get the goodies like voting.

then they ignore or deride the idea of a social contract anytime it’s advantageous to them to do so

Yeah it's this. "While you're repaying your crime to society you can't get to decide who runs that society."

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

uncurable mlady posted:

if the state can’t prove how much someone owes then how can they stop them from voting? what exactly is the mechanism here, do they not let them register?

in addition to whatever bullshit happens before registration/voting, every florida felon who votes also runs the risk of doing everything they think they need to but missing something because the records are hosed and getting later popped for illegal voting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

constitution lets you unperson anybody you deem a felon for any reason, so any state that wants to more openly control who is permitted to vote will hand out felonies (oftentimes as pleas deals to bullshit charges that probably wouldn't hold up in court, but to get to court means being in jail for like a month) like nothing. Not just voting but pretty much all social support programs from food stamps to housing assistance. Still gotta pay taxes to support those programs tho!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Groovelord Neato posted:

Amendment 5 to the Bill of rights, heavily truncated:

quote:

No person shall...be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law;

Taken as a matter of principle, all people who are subjects of the right forms of paperwork are thus legally 'open season.' And if you want to render people outlaws, then you basically have a rigid binary between people who haven't been processed and people who have, and the people who have can be subject to nearly anything.

Really, some people are just draconian as gently caress and think that any violation of the law should render a person a total outlaw, probably out of some belief that they, personally, are perfectly law-abiding and that the system is just (aka the funniest and most naive belief).

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mr Interweb posted:

this guy's still alive (for now), but it doesn't look like he's having a good time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/comments/htnxle/talk_shit_get_hit_covid/

his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/S3xsmith

he claims he's allegedly feeling better, but it's only been a day and he hasn't had his sense of taste return yet.

edit:
found in the thread..

he's a mlm chud. probably better for the rest of the planet that he doesn't reproduce.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Sauce posted:

found in the thread..

he's a mlm chud. probably better for the rest of the planet that he doesn't reproduce.

A “second generation wealth creator” named sex? Oh, yeah. I can’t wait for the update.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Criminals don't have rights!"

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

A “second generation wealth creator” named sex? Oh, yeah. I can’t wait for the update.

what’s that even supposed to mean

"oh my father built this company which i inherited that makes me a 2nd generation wealth creator"?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Flowers For Algeria posted:

what’s that even supposed to mean

"oh my father built this company which i inherited that makes me a 2nd generation wealth creator"?

Probably, honestly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So, wait.

Does this mean Flynn, Manafort, Cohen, Stone and D'Sousha can't vote?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

So, wait.

Does this mean Flynn, Manafort, Cohen, Stone and D'Sousha can't vote?

it's state by state, with most states allowing for the governor or similar to re-instate voting rights on an individual basis. This exists entirely to let the felon friends of power continue their franchise, so yeah they can probably all vote still

every cycle there's a dozen or so people who get caught voting twice or whatever for the Republican, I don't think a single one has ever seen a day in court. If you're told you can vote by your probation officer, but your PO is wrong, and you vote, you'll go to jail for 5 years tho. Many instances of each of these exist, you can probably guess the commonality each side shares

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BiggerBoat posted:

So, wait.

Does this mean Flynn, Manafort, Cohen, Stone and can't vote?

D'Sousha maybe, not sure how pardons work for voting rights

Flynn maybe, he's still fighting his case

Stone maybe, not sure how commuted sentences work for voting rights

Cohen hard no

Manafort hard no

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

odds are if you're literally still in prison like the last two you aren't voting

one of the good "purity tests" for candidates who claim to be serious about justice reform is to ask them their opinion on the currently incarcerated being allowed to vote. It's an absolute no-brainer if you're serious about the issue and almost no lib does

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Do you want thugs electing people to office in the United States?

Also part of going to prison means giving all human rights during the experience and any other rights once you leave like the right to vote!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
if you give prisoners the right to vote, they'll just vote to have themselves released :smug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
don't forget that prisoners still get counted for congressional district representation

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

etalian posted:

Do you want thugs electing people to office in the United States?

Also part of going to prison means giving all human rights during the experience and any other rights once you leave like the right to vote!

but that would only make a meaningful difference if the prison population were a hugely significant portion of the total population-- waaaait a minute....

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Groovelord Neato posted:

You broke the law, its there for people to see
Why should you get the same as honest men like me?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Strong Sauce posted:

found in the thread..

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...7d7&oe=5F3A0444

he's laughing, actually you see

he also posted this two hours ago:

quote:

Some stupid dickless spineless oval office posted me On Reddit so I guess I’m even more famous!!! Hahaha stupid loving lonely friendless pathetic virgins. Thanks for all the traffic though! It’s been amazing!!! If only these liberal loving morons knew what they didn’t know. You know you’ve really made it when you’ve got stupid loving friendless internet losers making videos of you and reposting your public posts as if you don’t want people to see them? Hahaha I love triggering these pathetic cunts! But just to clarify - Never in my life have I ever said I would spread any virus. I guess it really pisses them off I’m Totally recovered and negative with covid! Hahaha and to further state: MASKS DONT loving STOP OR SLOW THE SPREAD OF COVID - Any info to help me find out who the user wolfcolacrypto on Reddit is would Be very much appreciated 🙂

edit: he also posted this on reddit:

quote:

This is me and I don’t have covid you stupid mother fucker. Happy to send you my negative test result! Also can’t wait to find out who you are. Once I do I am going to ruin your life. This is gonna be so much fun!

totally normal behavior

Mr Interweb has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Jul 20, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StashAugustine posted:

You broke the law, its there for people to see
Why should you get the same as honest men like me?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Epic High Five posted:

odds are if you're literally still in prison like the last two you aren't voting

one of the good "purity tests" for candidates who claim to be serious about justice reform is to ask them their opinion on the currently incarcerated being allowed to vote. It's an absolute no-brainer if you're serious about the issue and almost no lib does

This won't surprise anyone but here in Australia where we have compulsory voting all the people in prison are also required to vote and the electoral commission has put a lot of work into making that as easy and accessible for them as possible: https://formupload.aec.gov.au/Form?FormId=prisoner

The electoral commission also has special teams whose job is to canvas homeless people and remote indigenous communities to make sure their votes are recorded as well, whenever possible.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr Interweb posted:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...7d7&oe=5F3A0444

he's laughing, actually you see

he also posted this two hours ago:

edit: he also posted this on reddit:

totally normal behavior

UPDATE: i guess captain tough guy isn't as tough as he'd have you believe. he turned his FB page private :lol:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the possibility of constantly wheezing and being out of breath is the cost of FREEEEEDOM.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A wealth creator. 2nd generation. Lmao.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/DecoherenceWave/status/1284959840180174848

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Is there any crime that should result in temporary or permanent loss of voting rights? Or would those crimes be so few that it’s not even worth worrying about?

Also, for currently incarcerated, what locality would they vote in - the address of their prison or the address of where they lived prior to incarceration?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nottherealaborn posted:

Is there any crime that should result in temporary or permanent loss of voting rights? Or would those crimes be so few that it’s not even worth worrying about?

Also, for currently incarcerated, what locality would they vote in - the address of their prison or the address of where they lived prior to incarceration?

Perjury? Part of voting is swearing that you are who you say you are, and if you're convicted of lying under oath it kinda negates the vote.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nottherealaborn posted:

The problem with taking away prisoners' right to vote is that it then becomes an "obvious" step for authoritarian governments to simply ensure that anyone who might vote against them becomes a criminal.

And, as one goon stated years ago in another discussion of this very topic - if there are enough felons to influence an election then you, as a society, are doing something horribly wrong.

There might be an argument to be made for people with severe learning difficulties, or brain damage, or in a coma or something like that, but that should be decided on a case-by-case basis by a panel of medical experts with ample room for appealing their decisions.

Beyond that, democracy is simply too important and fragile to have a section of the population disenfranchised, be it for a years or forever.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Nottherealaborn posted:

Is there any crime that should result in temporary or permanent loss of voting rights?

No.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rick Scott isn't a senator and DeSantis isn't governor if Florida didn't disenfranchise felons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nottherealaborn posted:

In Australia they get incarcerated voters to nominate an outside address and they also ask them about the length of their sentence and stuff like that so they know where to post their voting pack at the next election.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I yearn for republican death

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ElGroucho posted:

:same:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
welcome to the republican party

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

ElGroucho posted:

ftfy

:killing:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Nottherealaborn posted:

Is there any crime that should result in temporary or permanent loss of voting rights?

fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
crimes against fashion