Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I hate that that's unironically the best option just because no dependency management -> no one is going to write stuff that uses a lot of libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Vanadium posted:

does maven tell my garbage debian vps which libssl.so i need

you tell it which version of A Thing you want, and it’s brought to you

is this what you meant?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

afaict nixos works best when the build tool doesn't actually hit the network ever, which means that any build tool that's not meant for nixos and is going to go fetch deps is going to be a pain in the rear end for it. Whenever nixos goes mainstream and everyone shift I'm sure it'll be worth build tools not hitting the network again.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

you tell it which version of A Thing you want, and it’s brought to you

is this what you meant?

Can I just say "hey i want this twitter api client lib" and it will figure out that that means I need some libssl.so because the twitter api client lib wants to make https requests and that involves tls and that's provided by openssl, and then it knows how to get the right openssl on debian or wherever, or do I need some weird incantations to teach it how that works?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Vanadium posted:

I hate that that's unironically the best option just because no dependency management -> no one is going to write stuff that uses a lot of libraries.

it actually means that every large project has its own bespoke way of handling dependencies that boils down to either vendoring poo poo or telling you to go gently caress yourself if you want to build it

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Vanadium posted:

no one is going to write stuff that uses a lot of libraries.

darn

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

it actually means that every large project has its own bespoke way of handling dependencies that boils down to either vendoring poo poo or telling you to go gently caress yourself if you want to build it

I’m unsurprised by that when the large project is funded by a large corporation because in most cases the common build tools are handled by the community and large corporations take whatever they want without ever contributing back to the broader community (the big project is usually part of hiring marketing efforts, devrel, or some attempt to get free labour). They then half rear end publishing poo poo that they use their own internal tooling to make work internally by adding some lovely patchwork for the open aspect of it.

most large open projects not fitting that pattern pre-date standard tooling for their ecosystem and never made the switch as their community is mostly self-selected and isolated from the rest of the devs there.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Vanadium posted:

Can I just say "hey i want this twitter api client lib" and it will figure out that that means I need some libssl.so because the twitter api client lib wants to make https requests and that involves tls and that's provided by openssl, and then it knows how to get the right openssl on debian or wherever, or do I need some weird incantations to teach it how that works?

good news, this exists and is available at https://www.npmjs.com/

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

animist posted:

good news, this exists and is available at https://www.npmjs.com/

if they compile their own openssl with a build system written in javascript im going to scream

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
No, node requires openssl.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

oh i guess that makes sense. still pretty sure ive seen some js stuff compile C code during "installation"

and thats just wrong

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

is the author of corejs still looking for a job? i haven't built any js lately so i'm not sure

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

carry on then posted:

is the author of corejs still looking for a job? i haven't built any js lately so i'm not sure

he's in jail for a year and a half for hitting a pedestrian with a car. i believe his defense was that said pedestrian was laying down in the street drunk

babel team doesn't have resources for a fork supposedly. there's new maintainers but i don't think they're super active

it's all very fine

Vanadium posted:

oh i guess that makes sense. still pretty sure ive seen some js stuff compile C code during "installation"

and thats just wrong

it's fine? using native dependencies in plang packages can go very, very awry in other languages (hi nokogiri) but I've never had an issue with node packages. a lot of node packages just straight up install a binary for a given platform as well

it's bad for disk space but eh

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 20, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

node based builds suck and I hate having to update dependencies in every single sample project because github is screaming bloody murder that one of the 1100 dev dependencies has a vulnerability if used in a running server

animist
Aug 28, 2018

abraham linksys posted:

he's in jail for a year and a half for hitting a pedestrian with a car. i believe his defense was that said pedestrian was laying down in the street drunk

lmao

what is it with open source developers and committing heinous crimes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Vanadium posted:

afaik yes but it seems simple enough to try out

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
just bundle up all the dependencies in a single binary blob ala smalltalk soblem provled

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jerry Bindle posted:

just bundle up all the dependencies in a single binary blob ala smalltalk soblem provled

we call this an oci-compliant container image now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

garph probed me over posting that once lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eler was great. its too bad the "invisible hand" line from it didn't catch on

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

wild to think there was a time when a) ubuntu did not have its monopoly b) people cared enough about xml to refer to it in jokes

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

a mechanical hand-cranked xml parser sounds pretty nifty. though idk what it would give as output, maybe it'd just be a validator

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pokeyman posted:

a mechanical hand-cranked xml parser sounds pretty nifty. though idk what it would give as output, maybe it'd just be a validator

my external entity is expanded, iykwim

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
all this talk about dependency management and here i am just reinventing the wheel instead

ps: the wheel is now square, your welcome

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

at least your square wheel still deploys when npm goes down

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vanadium posted:

Can I just say "hey i want this twitter api client lib" and it will figure out that that means I need some libssl.so [...] and then it knows how to get the right openssl

a good package manager will utterly prevent you from installing OpenSSL, or indeed the components that you could combine to build it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1285686716934881286?s=21

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I never finished tis-100 because that arch is a pain

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

brand engager posted:

I never finished tis-100 because that arch is a pain

I wonder how hard it would be to implement in verilog for whenever the analogue pocket comes out.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

leper khan posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to implement in verilog for whenever the analogue pocket comes out.

i don't have any idea what "the analogue pocket" is and have never played this game

that said, as someone whose job it is to write verilog rtl, after watching a scott manley video about tis-100, i'd say it wouldn't be too hard. it does sound like as the game progresses you start unlocking tiles which aren't cpus, so if those get too wild it might sway my opinion, but the basic NxN matrix of incredibly trivial CPU cores with very simple grid comms (for small values of N) would not be hard

i'm not sure why you would want to, but that's an entirely different question lol

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i assume they mean this

looks pretty spiffy, honestly

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Internet Janitor posted:

i assume they mean this

looks pretty spiffy, honestly

the renders do look super cool but $200 seems like a far-too-good-to-be-true price for a low volume handheld with one cyclone V and one cyclone 10 fpga, that screen, sound, etc

for reference i just looked up qty 1 cyclone V prices on digikey and the cheapest is $80. granted you can get much better prices with volume but the stuff i googled suggests they aren't expecting to sell a hell of a lot of them

also have questions about how much battery life one could expect

but it sounds like this is a company that has made real product(s) before? that were also fpga based retro gaming systems? so maybe not a total scam?

anyways, revised comments on rewriting tis-100 in verilog: if the goal was to get the whole game running on this hardware, and you asked me to do it, i wouldn't write a single line of verilog if i could get away with it. ideally analogue would supply a pre-built fpga image set which implements a cpu + graphics + sound. i would port the game to that software platform rather than rewriting the game in verilog.

if analogue did not provide such a platform, i'd create one and then port the game. it would still be less effort. most of the pieces for it would be IP cores I could stitch together from alteraintel-provided libraries so it wouldn't be much effort to create the game console platform

the thing about doing anything as complex as an entire game in verilog is that writing and debugging synthesizable verilog is a loving NIGHTMARE compared to writing and debugging software. if you don't have a strong performance requirement for some complex thing you want to do, and you can throw in a soft cpu core (or the fpga already has a hardened cpu core), you do it in software.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fpgas are rad as hell and hdls and related tools all suck poo poo

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Bloody posted:

fpgas are rad as hell and hdls and related tools all suck poo poo

do u have an opinion on stuff like chisel

i have only dabbled in hdl so i'm not sure how to evaluate stuff

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
oh hey it’s Clash but with Scala instead of Haskell

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've never seen anyone actually use one of the newer HDL built on a software PL for a real project, but I'm excited for something, anything, better than VHDL and Verilog to get any amount of traction.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Symbolics created an HDL that they used for both the later 3600 series designs and the two major revs of their Ivory CPU, by all accounts it was quite good

they claimed in the late 1980s that the Ivory was fully simulated and its logic debugged before the first silicon was produced

my understanding is also that it didn’t impose much distinction between layers of design, I gather it started life as a logical schematic description tool and expanded both up and down from there

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i can't imagine an HDL based in common lisp is any more pleasant to use than verilog

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jerry Bindle posted:

i can't imagine an HDL based in common lisp is any more pleasant to use than verilog

i am honestly perplexed why you'd be especially doubtful. not that cl is some panacea, but it does not seem that hard to improve on verilog, and starting from a language with excellent macro facilities seems a good plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i learned BlueSpec in school and that was extremely weird

inheriting the strange design choices of both haskell and verilog, lmao