Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Feinne posted:

Ironically the hair regrowth is the real side effect, whereas the side effects are the direct effects of lowering your testosterone with a DHT blocker like Propecia.

And also the desired effect for some people.

Isn't male pattern baldness caused by too much DHT in the first place so some dosage of the medicine would be returning you to "normal" so to speak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

ketchup vs catsup posted:

this is the truth. I started balding at 19 and shaving my head at 25.

it is fairly obscene the amount of money I would gladly pay to be able to permanently restore my natural hair growth to what it was at 17-18 with zero side effects, so I can absolutely understand someone willing to endure some sort of adverse effect in order to get part or all of the way there.

A couple of my friends have gotten hair transplant procedures with pretty fantastic results. No terrible sex drive killing drugs required, just one day of an operation, a weeks recovery and then 6 months later the hair comes in. I believe its very common for actors in Hollywood these days?

Its not terribly expensive/obscene as far as I know, about $5k in a cheaper country like Thailand or Turkey or $10-15k in a first world country. Not exactly cheap, but nothing most middle class people people couldn't afford with a tiny bit of saving.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't male pattern baldness caused by too much DHT in the first place so some dosage of the medicine would be returning you to "normal" so to speak?

Yes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blut posted:

A couple of my friends have gotten hair transplant procedures with pretty fantastic results. No terrible sex drive killing drugs required, just one day of an operation, a weeks recovery and then 6 months later the hair comes in. I believe its very common for actors in Hollywood these days?

Its not terribly expensive/obscene as far as I know, about $5k in a cheaper country like Thailand or Turkey or $10-15k in a first world country. Not exactly cheap, but nothing most middle class people people couldn't afford with a tiny bit of saving.

Thanks, I will look into that!

FYI for the goon(s) who wondered about how much people would spend to fix their lack of hair without side effects, $10-15K is an order of magnitude cheaper than my “happy to pay” threshold.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

FYI for the goon(s) who wondered about how much people would spend to fix their lack of hair without side effects, $10-15K is an order of magnitude cheaper than my “happy to pay” threshold.

Unless your hair loss is done progressing it's only a temporary fix, you will probably need to get on finasteride or else you'll have a patch of forever-hair while the rest continues to retreat.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just go bald. You look more distinguished as bald and bearded

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In my part of the world, it really wasn't.

So they ruined it like pepe. What about naturally balding people?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sex Tragedy posted:

pure drivel

In the UK this was definitely true.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead#Racism,_anti-racism,_and_politics

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

poor karl pilkington

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wait, you'd pay up to $125,000 for hair?

poo poo, you can have mine

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Sex Tragedy posted:

So they ruined it like pepe. What about naturally balding people?

They die of melanoma

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so what does this have to do with tech?

also i love how this train of convo naturally evolved.

something about food blogs and SEO and ads/adblock >goonswithspoons wiki >something something british people boil their food/hate flavors and have bad teeth >American obession with dental cosmetics >my comment about american obession with skin cosmetics > drug sideeffects >???

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PhazonLink posted:

so what does this have to do with tech?

also i love how this train of convo naturally evolved.

something about food blogs and SEO and ads/adblock >goonswithspoons wiki >something something british people boil their food/hate flavors and have bad teeth >American obession with dental cosmetics >my comment about american obession with skin cosmetics > drug sideeffects >???

you forgot >bald is beautiful chat.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

you forgot >bald is beautiful chat.

The Bald and the Beautiful

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Bald and the Beautiful

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just got a simple "Wear a mask" ad from Youtube while listening to music on Youtube, which is weird because there's an entire floor in the Youtube metaphorical office building dedicated to masks-dont-work conspiracies... :confused:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1285728140057288705

"We profited off the conspiracy theories as long as we could, but we see which way the wind's starting to blow." -@jack, probably

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1285728140057288705

"We profited off the conspiracy theories as long as we could, but we see which way the wind's starting to blow." -@jack, probably

"We saw how many advertisers are pulling money from Facebook, and we wanted to get ahead of that."

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's not terribly important, but I found this amusing.

Peter Thiel has apparently turned away from directly supporting Trump's campaign, because he has lost confidence in Trump's chances for re-election, and is instead focusing on down-ticket races this election:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/tech-tycoon-peter-thiel-shies-from-trump-reelection-campaign-11593730590

quote:

President Trump’s most prominent Silicon Valley supporter, billionaire Peter Thiel, has told friends and associates that he plans to sit out this year’s presidential campaign because he thinks re-election is increasingly a long shot, people familiar with the matter say.

Mr. Thiel, a venture capitalist and co-founder of PayPal Holdings Inc., spoke at the Republican National Convention in 2016, where he criticized the state of the economy and described Mr. Trump as a man set to rebuild America. One of the few tech leaders to publicly back Mr. Trump that year, he also donated $1.25 million to the Trump campaign and related groups.

In recent weeks, however, in private conversations from his oceanfront estate in Hawaii, Mr. Thiel has said he soured on the president’s prospects, the people said. Mr. Thiel said he believes it is likely that the economy will be mired in deep recession in November, with double-digit unemployment, and that any sitting president would be at a stark disadvantage to a challenger.

Mr. Thiel doesn’t currently plan to speak at this year’s Republican convention, scheduled for Aug. 24-27, one of the people said. Though he may eventually still vote for Mr. Trump, Mr. Thiel hasn’t donated any money to Mr. Trump this year and currently doesn’t plan to, the people said.

One person who speaks to Mr. Thiel about politics says he described Mr. Trump’s campaign as the “S.S. Minnow,” a reference to the ship that ran aground on the television series “Gilligan’s Island.”

Mr. Thiel didn’t respond to requests for comment. A spokesman for Mr. Thiel didn’t comment.

Mr. Thiel has been and remains a supporter of the president, said Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh.

Despite his lack of enthusiasm, Mr. Thiel also views the presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden as an uninspired choice aligned too closely with traditional liberal beliefs, the people said. Mr. Thiel is unlikely to publicly break with Mr. Trump, as he sees no advantage to doing so, they said.

... (ellipsis)

Some of the investor’s disillusion with Mr. Trump can be traced back to before the coronavirus outbreak was national news. Mr. Thiel was early to note the scientific alarm as the virus leapt across China, Italy and the U.S., and grew frustrated with the pace of Mr. Trump’s response, the people familiar said. Mr. Thiel’s data company, Palantir Technologies Inc., recalled staff from abroad in mid-February, ahead of most other American companies.

While Mr. Thiel is willing to cut Mr. Trump some slack over a once-a-century pandemic, Mr. Thiel is withering in his assessment of the president’s reelection campaign, the people familiar say. Mr. Thiel doesn’t believe the campaign has settled on a winning argument to convince the electorate to stay the course.

Mr. Thiel separately continues to fund his own political-action committee, Free Forever, which states it is committed to limiting immigration, ending wars and adding jobs for working-class Americans. The PAC is supporting Republican Kris Kobach’s campaign to fill the Kansas Senate seat being vacated by Republican Pat Roberts, who is retiring

E: this does mean that the Trump campaign's coffers are going to be lacking a few million from Thiel this time, and this may be a sign that the capitalist class in general has given up on Trump.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 22, 2020

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

adoration for none posted:

this may be a sign that the capitalist class in general has given up on Trump.

Biden isn't exactly a threat to them, so now there's not that much incentive to go against Dems.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
How was Hillary a threat?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

exmachina posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

exmachina posted:

To the banks? Never. Even they thought she was talking bullshit:

- Thomas Frank, "Listen, Liberal or: Whatever Happened to the Party of the People?"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

How long has Angela Merkel been god-emperor of Germany and the EU now? Thatcher was the longest-reigning PM of the UK of the 20th century and is still like Reagan to the Tories. The capitalist class doesn't care about the gender of their facilitators. With voters that's another issue unfortunately...

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 22, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LinkedOut
https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1285994019454164992

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Who will message me with broken English about jobs i do not qualify for in states I do not live in now?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Who will message me with broken English about jobs i do not qualify for in states I do not live in now?

I'll do it, if you'd like.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Edit: no that's stupid

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wait, does that mean the message I get every month thanking me for being a LinkedIn user and begging me to pay for it actually came from a real person and not a bit like I assumed? How on Earth does that site have so many employees?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Senor Tron posted:

Wait, does that mean the message I get every month thanking me for being a LinkedIn user and begging me to pay for it actually came from a real person and not a bit like I assumed? How on Earth does that site have so many employees?

No.

LinkedIn gets most of its money from recruiters, who have to pay them to message you, and extra for access to personal and aggregate data. They also run a sales platform, and sell data to advertisers. The "LinkedIn premium" membership is free money for them, but it's not a huge revenue source.

Their sales people aren't talking to you; they're cutting deals with major companies so that their entire recruiting department gets a discount on posting jobs at LinkedIn, or their sales people all get to use the Sales Navigator feature. But, hiring is down or frozen in a lot of industries, and there are a lot more eyes on sales department budget line items. So, the LinkedIn sales staff is going to see some hard times, even if individual users have more demand for their premium job-search features.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Hope none of you use Instacart! For many reasons obviously, but now this:

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1286093253050277889

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Space Gopher posted:

No.

LinkedIn gets most of its money from recruiters, who have to pay them to message you, and extra for access to personal and aggregate data. They also run a sales platform, and sell data to advertisers. The "LinkedIn premium" membership is free money for them, but it's not a huge revenue source.

Their sales people aren't talking to you; they're cutting deals with major companies so that their entire recruiting department gets a discount on posting jobs at LinkedIn, or their sales people all get to use the Sales Navigator feature. But, hiring is down or frozen in a lot of industries, and there are a lot more eyes on sales department budget line items. So, the LinkedIn sales staff is going to see some hard times, even if individual users have more demand for their premium job-search features.

It’s insanely good and dumb luck that I got laid off in late January (in an industry that’s currently getting hammered) to get hired a few weeks later (in an unexpectedly covid-resistant industry). It happened that quick because, in part, I got an offer for a free month of LinkedIn premium and I guess I made the most of it because I canceled it in less than 4 weeks.

They’ve lost money on me for sure.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Scott Forstall posted:

They’ve lost money on me for sure.

They absolutely haven't, because they've been selling your data to the highest bidder since day 1. I built a sales navigator integration for the last company I worked for, and man, any illusion of data privacy you might have with LinkedIn goes out the window once you see how much about you they're willing to show if someone pays them enough.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Linkedin makes about $6-7 billion in revenue a year. Microsoft bought it for $26 billion in 2016. So a few years yet before they turn a profit on the investment, it'll happen though.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

enki42 posted:

They absolutely haven't, because they've been selling your data to the highest bidder since day 1. I built a sales navigator integration for the last company I worked for, and man, any illusion of data privacy you might have with LinkedIn goes out the window once you see how much about you they're willing to show if someone pays them enough.

Unless you live in the EU that is.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/elanazak/status/1286311716192751616?s=21
Who on gods green earth would pay for Twitter

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving lol so do I pay and get a bigger character limit? Or maybe a red check mark instead of a blue one?

Oo can I change my Twitter gender for $25?

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

If you could turn on an option to only let paid subscribers see your tweets then Twitter would probably eat the OnlyFans market whole

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'd pay to destroy Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

i am harry posted:

I'd pay to destroy Twitter.

Facebook is far worse for humanity. If hell exists, which it does not, it has a special wing for Facebook employees.