Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

H110Hawk posted:

I see a few pages back "igaging" as a brand of calipers talked about. I need basic "non-$100+-mitutoyo" digital calipers to measure things an inch or two in id/od. (I don't need these, I can get close enough with a tape measure but why waste a good flimsy excuse right?) Are these "the ones"?

https://smile.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00K3PZXMW/

Yep, those are the ones.
These are the other ones that are good, but if you're only going to get one, I'd get the ones you linked (6", with fractions)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQEZ2W/

I've had both for about 4 years, in regular use, no battery removal between-usage or anything like that. They're excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Yep, those are the ones.
These are the other ones that are good, but if you're only going to get one, I'd get the ones you linked (6", with fractions)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQEZ2W/

I've had both for about 4 years, in regular use, no battery removal between-usage or anything like that. They're excellent.

I don't understand the difference between the two, one of those remembers 0 between power ons basically? If I am going to use these things once a quarter at best am I even going to care? (Fractions makes the fancier ones $50. I don't know that I care $20 if I have to 0 them every time.)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

H110Hawk posted:

I don't understand the difference between the two, one of those remembers 0 between power ons basically? If I am going to use these things once a quarter at best am I even going to care? (Fractions makes the fancier ones $50. I don't know that I care $20 if I have to 0 them every time.)

They'll both hold a consistent zero, the absolute origin version essentially just lets you zero out the calipers without losing actual-zero. It's not a feature that reeeeally matters a ton for normal use. If you're going to use them more casually, the cheaper ones are probably the way to do.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

They'll both hold a consistent zero, the absolute origin version essentially just lets you zero out the calipers without losing actual-zero. It's not a feature that reeeeally matters a ton for normal use. If you're going to use them more casually, the cheaper ones are probably the way to do.

Done! They arrive tuesday. I can't wait to accuratelyer measure the 1 thing I need to measure to 0.5mm and then toss them in the drawer for a year. Thank you!

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

I have an iGaging digital depth mic and it is great. I have a 6&12" combination square set from iGaging that is trash. Honestly a Mitutoyo digital caliper is the way to go because the battery will last for at least 5 years so when you only use it twice a year you won't have to find a battery for it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I got into the habit of taking the battery out of my no-name digital calipers, and that's basically made me reach for my verniers the last few times I needed calipers because I didn't feel like reinstalling the battery.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Fractions are extremely dumb.

[e] fractions are like a media article telling me how long this thing is in partial lengths of london busses. I don't care how long this thing is in partial lengths of london busses, I want to know how long it actually is. Fractions can gently caress off and manual standard calipers are all about that. I'm team digital caliper because it gives me a decimal place which is a real actual number. Ofc I still need to convert it into fraction at the end of the day because standard is a v.broken system.

tuna fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 20, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My manual dial calipers read out in 1/1000ths of an inch, which I guess is a fraction now that I type it out.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Waterproof heat shrink connectors on sale, I think these are the style folks like?

30% off Heat Shrink Wire Connectors, Waterproof Automotive Marine Crimp Connector Assortment
30% OFF with Coupon Code CRIMP30OFF

200PCs Butt Connectors @13.96
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCPFPD2

250PCs Assortment @ 15.36
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPF1TTX

500PCs Assortment @27.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPD8V5W

https://slickdeals.net/f/14206919-3...c=frontpage&v=1

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I mean those are all from one of the fake brand names made up by a script that push low quality junk so I absolutely hate buying anything from them because it validates their business model and results in Amazon being further clogged with low quality garbage, but they do look alright, and I'm certainly not paying the crazy prices raychem and other quality brands want for the same product. I just bought a 200-pack from "haisstronica", mostly because they at least put effort into coming up with a brand name instead of obviously just letting a cat walk on the keyboard, like, say, "kuject", "ticonn", "qibaok", "airic", "xuuap", "opqh", "glarks", "depepe", "dmuccio", "sibaok", and "sopoby". I'll either be filling the chat thread with anger when they are crap, or not, hopefully tomorrow. I just hope they last because I don't really want to redo this harness.

(Those are all real examples, and I badly want a "keep spammers out of my Amazon results" check box on their search tool.)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was all ears to find out why these are poo poo, and the reason is....a bad Chinese attempt at an English brand name?

The only problem I've had is that the claimed wire crimp ranges are hopeful at best. I've learned through experience what works for a good crimp. So far I've only had one failure, and that was on a fairly high current connection on the 6x4 power wheels I built for my daughter.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 20, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So we got one of those big rear end Ryobi Tool kits that came with 2 batteries so we could help my brother renovate his apartment. Sometime during this the small 2Ah battery stopped working but no one apparently cared to tell me. Then I saw that the top bit that goes into the tools was broken. Probably been dropped and the plastic chipped off. The battery doesn't work in a tool, but the charger is telling me that it's fully charged. The conductive parts that make contact in the machine appear unharmed, and upon disassembling it, everything looks ok. I don't have a multimeter right now though, so can't really check.
Annoying as hell as batteries are damned expensive (no great deals here like in the US).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

angryrobots posted:

I was all ears to find out why these are poo poo, and the reason is....a bad Chinese attempt at an English brand name?

The only problem I've had is that the claimed wire crimp ranges are hopeful at best. I've learned through experience what works for a good crimp. So far I've only had one failure, and that was on a fairly high current connection on the 6x4 power wheels I built for my daughter.

What did you build her, a deuce-and-a-half?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

"glarks", "sopoby"

I've got a few from those two "brands". M3/M4/M5 screw assortments for 'Glarks', various heatshrink crimp connectors from 'Sopoby'. Honestly, perfectly serviceable all around so far. The former seem just fine in the low-load use cases I've had for them, and a whole box of them is paid for with just one or two Ace runs avoided. The latter are far more reliable crimps than the no-name eBay set I wasted money on. So far when they do fail, it's always been the failure where they don't crimp down hard enough and they fail the pull test.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuna posted:

Fractions are extremely dumb.

[e] fractions are like a media article telling me how long this thing is in partial lengths of london busses. I don't care how long this thing is in partial lengths of london busses, I want to know how long it actually is. Fractions can gently caress off and manual standard calipers are all about that. I'm team digital caliper because it gives me a decimal place which is a real actual number. Ofc I still need to convert it into fraction at the end of the day because standard is a v.broken system.

While I get your frustration, fractions are really easy for quick mental math for machining or selling things by weight/volume (if you were taught to use them that way, most people these days were not). They are a leftover from a time when having a calculator was a very big deal. My 70+ year old machine buddy is a wizard with that poo poo, but will also just go to decimal/a calculator as required based on what he's doing/what tools he's using.

angryrobots posted:

To be fair, that seems to be a correlation I've noticed as well. It's not 100% consistent. Sometimes you do get good stuff.

There are good sellers in china. But many try a lot harder.

If you make up random brand names you are running what looks like a hit and run operation: just get people to buy something once and that's your plan. Doesn't matter anymore after that. If you are building a brand it's for referrals or repeat business which means you have to actually sell the right things at the right prices or all that branding work is for nothing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

To be fair, that seems to be a correlation I've noticed as well. It's not 100% consistent. Sometimes you do get good stuff.

There are good sellers in china. But many try a lot harder.

If you make up random brand names you are running what looks like a hit and run operation: just get people to buy something once and that's your plan. Doesn't matter anymore after that. If you are building a brand it's for referrals or repeat business which means you have to actually sell the right things at the right prices or all that branding work is for nothing.

Not that I don't believe this to be true in some cases, as there are some who have built enough reputation to charge a premium (like LE Lighting who I've bought a lot of LED floods from), but I've also noticed that with a lot of items you can find the exact same poo poo for sale among lots of sellers with a variety of pricing. The only difference being marketing.

I bet pretty much any of the waterproof butt splices for sale on Amazon are better than anything you can find in a local AutoZone.

Cat Hatter posted:

What did you build her, a deuce-and-a-half?

Quoting myself from cakesmith's thread (which deserves an update if you read this!):

angryrobots posted:

Just like, as a point of reference - here's the 4x6 power wheels I built for my daughter. It's basically unstoppable in even rough terrain - the rear axle articulates as well.

Truthfully she's gotten a bit big for it at this point. I'd like to find something for them that's electric and sized in between this and like, a golf cart which I don't trust them in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

angryrobots posted:

I'm hopeful but annoyed that they can't just stick to one account instead of a billion selling exactly the same poo poo clogging up my results. I guess we'll see, the ferrules themselves look good but I don't know how well the shrink tube or sealant will seal or last. I've had plenty of bad experiences with stuff like that, like harbor freight electrical tape is godawful for example. Almost Superior German Adhesives awful.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Does anyone have recommendations for quality jackstands are not from harbor freight? Floor jack too I guess.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Someone here mentioned these Esco stands and they've been my plan for replacing the HF ones I've got.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aquila posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for quality jackstands are not from harbor freight? Floor jack too I guess.

Torin’s double locking jack stands have served me well. I have a set of 6 tons for holding up the 4Runner, but they also come in 2 or 3 ton capacity.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Arishtat posted:

Torin’s double locking jack stands have served me well. I have a set of 6 tons for holding up the 4Runner, but they also come in 2 or 3 ton capacity.

:drat: Do you balance the whole truck on one stand?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Krakkles posted:

Someone here mentioned these Esco stands and they've been my plan for replacing the HF ones I've got.

Hmm, wonder if I could get away with these without wood under them. My new asphalt driveway already has divots because I didn't realize how soft it was, my stands and front wheels from the jack sunk right in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Hmm, wonder if I could get away with these without wood under them. My new asphalt driveway already has divots because I didn't realize how soft it was, my stands and front wheels from the jack sunk right in.

New asphalt is going to be pretty gooey, and all asphalt is for it's entire service life. When that's over it starts cracking a lot and it's time for more asphalt.

Cut yourself some plywood pieces for this. You're always going to need them.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

angryrobots posted:

:drat: Do you balance the whole truck on one stand?

It’s for the height, she’s kinda, uh, leggy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Motronic posted:

New asphalt is going to be pretty gooey, and all asphalt is for it's entire service life. When that's over it starts cracking a lot and it's time for more asphalt.

Cut yourself some plywood pieces for this. You're always going to need them.

Yeah thats what I did, its just a pain in the dick scooting plywood under the heavy jack once its positioned and before jacking, the jack stands aren't too much of a bother.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Really doesn't even need to be thick heavy plywood, 3/8 should spread the load out enough for the jackstands bases.

Also most jackstands I've seen are rated as pairs, so the strength is dangerously misleading.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

StormDrain posted:

Also most jackstands I've seen are rated as pairs, so the strength is dangerously misleading.

As Harbor Freight says "Hold my beer."

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Does anyone have a recommendation for some thin metric wrenches? I have a few things they'd be really handy for, but I don't see anything by the usual brands I buy. Likely looking for something better than HF quality since there won't be much meat on them.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

FatCow posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for some thin metric wrenches? I have a few things they'd be really handy for, but I don't see anything by the usual brands I buy. Likely looking for something better than HF quality since there won't be much meat on them.

I’ve got the smaller set of these Stahlwille wrenches, and they’re thinner than most but feel oh so nice: https://www.kctoolco.com/stahlwille-10-5-double-open-ended-spanner-set-metric/

Bigger set: https://www.kctoolco.com/stahlwille-10-8-double-open-ended-wrench-set-metric-8-pcs/

Otherwise, the long pattern HF wrenches I had were decent and thinner than most wrenches. Good enough for weekend warrior duty. I like the Stahlwilles more for sure though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wera Joker, if the cost isn’t prohibitive. Gedore makes a lot of nice thin wrenches, and there’s always Snap-On.

Gedore is probably the cheapest of the three, and that’s highly relative.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

FatCow posted:

If you're looking for really thin, look at bicycle cone wrenches. Park or Pedro's are both good brands in that area.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

donut posted:

If you're looking for really thin, look at bicycle cone wrenches. Park or Pedro's are both good brands in that area.

Just don't expect them to survive being really cranked on. It should be obvious, but worth mentioning. I've certainly damaged tappet wrenches before because I needed to really yank on something and didn't have room for a stronger wrench.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My nice (Armstrong) socket set is 12 point for sizes like 12mm, and after rounding off the banjo bolt on my project bike I realized I need a nice 6 point set, preferably 1/2" drive but I can go down to 3/8" drive if needed. Any recommendations? I was gonna go with Gearwrench but the reviews online were surprisingly poor, which is too bad because I like their wrenches. As of right now I just need a 12mm socket, but I'm assuming it'll be necessary to buy a set, and then I'll have it for the future.

My buddy drives a Snap-On truck and from looking at their web site an individual impact socket is only $18, but I don't want to drop Snap-On levels of cash for a whole set. I have to go to Harbor Freight today to pick up some other items so I was actually considering their high end Icon line, but I don't know if that's actually worth the premium over their regular sockets. I'm not sure HF sockets are great for this purpose (high torque / stuck on fasteners with a fear of rounding the bolt head).

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got Tekton sockets after rounding some stuff with my 12 points. I bought them over 5 years ago with no complaints.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Regular HF sockets are actually one of the better values out there. I asked here a long time ago with the caveat that strength was a bigger criteria to me than cost - I go to the middle of nowhere and need my tools to work - and HF was still the recommendation. Having had them for several years, I’d still agree with this.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got metric and sae 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 gearwrench sockets and ratchets and have no complaints. I've bought a few tekton sets for friends and they're fine. The ratchets aren't fantastic but they're definitely not junk either.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got a couple Tekton socket sets in the blowmold cases for grab and go repairs, and they've been great. Half the time.i end up using them instead of the old 90s Craftsman sockets in the garage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've got a few Tekton items too and no complaints either.

Looks like I just made a deal on a honda gas powered 20CFM compressor for blowing out irrigation in the fall. Just have to rig something up for loading/unloading myself when necessary from the back of the truck! I'm thinking a hand winch and a ramp.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It looked like the only 6 point sockets at HF were the $50 Icon ones, and Home Depot didn't have any Tekton in stock, but I remembered I had found an impact socket set I forget about when I cleaned my garage recently (Stanley). They were deep sockets but I had just enough room to get them on and get both banjo bolts off, even the one I had rounded with the 12 point socket. Maybe a few days of soaking in aero kroil did the trick. That made my need less immediate, so I bought a shallow impact Tekton set off of Amazon for $20, which I'm sure I'll be using in the near future judging by the patina on this bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

FWIW, I’ve owned a plain-Jane HF socket set since 2005 and the only thing I’ve broken was one of the Allen bits, a 1/2” swivel (impact casualty) and one of the 1/4” extensions.