Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kanfy posted:

At a glance I can't spot any mentions of such a connection but hard to say. For what it's worth the spell and the series are spelled differently in Japanese, arutema vs. urutima.
the different spelling makes me think it's probably a coincidence. It's not implausible that Square would come up with Ultima for the name of the ultimate spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Star Ocean 3 just fuckin loves making you walk across the entire game and back for random bullshit and the combat is just putting side kick on 2 buttons and going ham.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Star Ocean 3 just fuckin loves making you walk across the entire game and back for random bullshit and the combat is just putting side kick on 2 buttons and going ham.

Until you get Maria and then it's Aiming Device

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was personally always pretty fond of Side Kick - AIR! RAID! myself although it goes through HP like nothing else

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Max Wilco posted:

Why do you think Star Ocean 3 is good, and Final Fantasy Tactics is bad? I mean, I don't really agree with that (though I say that having not played either game), but I'm curious as to your reasoning.

the former i just find everything to be off in a way i personally find endearing. the later is slow and i hate numerous of its design decisions and find none of them interesting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I was personally always pretty fond of Side Kick - AIR! RAID! myself although it goes through HP like nothing else

dimension doooooor

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Is 3DS emulation a thing yet? I own Etrian Odyssey V, but I'd much rather play it on the tv where my roommate can watch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

Is 3DS emulation a thing yet? I own Etrian Odyssey V, but I'd much rather play it on the tv where my roommate can watch.

Yep, most games work pretty well but check https://citra-emu.org/wiki/compatibility-list/ to be sure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is a thing but you do need a decent computer for it to run well. if you can run modern games on your pc youll be fine

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the Atelier Ryza 2 announcement and the sale of Ryza 1 on Steam got me thinking I should go try one of those games, so I grabbed Ryza, launched it, and... wow, they sure did sexualize the hell out of this 17-year old main character, didn't they? like, not even from a thighs perspective, but from like a swinging chest physics and camera leering on close ups of her chest in the opening cutscene. think I'm going to slam the refund button on this one before I get any further, because yikes

I think my desire to try playing more JRPGs is rapidly dropping, between this and the bullshit I put up with in Trails. I know last time this came up in this thread there was a whole kerfluffle so, like, I'd like to note I'm not trying to paint the entire nation of Japan with a creepy pedo brush, but I am genuinely uncomfortable with the way minors are sexualized in lots of Japanese video games, and how this seems to be getting more common as a marketing tactic. urgh.

shame to because the game sure does look pretty and seemed appealing otherwise. seems like there might be other Atelier games without these problems but if the future of the franchise is this (and, going off the costume in the Ryza 2 trailer, sure does seem like it), might as well not bother getting onboarded now

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't really think she was that sexualized or anything. And, well, shes like 21 in Atelier Ryza 2 so either way most of that problem is solved.

Iunno, Atelier's a series with a mostly female fanbase. Like to the point the games are sold in 'games for girls' sections of Japanese games stores. I doubt they're crying over some dudes being turnt up for Ryza but at the same time it really doesn't seem like priority number one and I don't think the game ever gets out of hand about it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 21, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If you can get access to basically any 3DS you can also mod it super easily. There are emulators for it for everything up to SNES/Genesis, and it runs DS games too. GBA games don't emulate well but they can be wrapped and injected to the 3DS and use its built in support.

The New 3DS line of systems works best overall. Older models struggle with any SNES game that requires the 3DFX chip or the SA-1 chip, but other than that I've had no issues with my old 3DSXL.

Its nice for certain GBA games like Boktai. I put in the sunlight levels control patch and it works perfectly. Boktai is really weird, I never got to play before because my cartridge had a broken sunlight sensor when I got it used.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit I genuinely don't remember the leering chest shots in Ryza's opening cutscene at all. Maybe I'm just desensitized to it but I remember specifically wondering because they turned up the designs to 11. (See: Lila) but the game itself seems to almost ignore that entirely.

For what it's worth I recall basically no sexualization within the game itself but I also don't recall the scenes you're talking about so v:shrug:v

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit I genuinely don't remember the leering chest shots in Ryza's opening cutscene at all. Maybe I'm just desensitized to it but I remember specifically wondering because they turned up the designs to 11. (See: Lila) but the game itself seems to almost ignore that entirely.

For what it's worth I recall basically no sexualization within the game itself but I also don't recall the scenes you're talking about so v:shrug:v

to be fair, I may have been looking for horniness that wasn't there just because the discourse around the character is so fuckin gross (by which I mean, earlier today I read the Twitter replies on Nintendo's Ryza 2 tweet, whoops!!). "leering" is probably overdramatic, but her whole costume is a bad first impression (all I can think when looking at her shirt is "cloth does not work like that")

if the game genuinely avoids doing anything gross with the characters I'll probably return to it, but it just doesn't sit right with me. like, pointlessly horny characters don't bother at all me when they're clearly, like, adults (e.g. I found attempting to find real pants for Sharla a hilarious minigame in Xenoblade), and I'm glad Ryza is at least canonically older in the next game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean most the discourse around any character is going to be horny, especially on the internet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

to be fair, I may have been looking for horniness that wasn't there just because the discourse around the character is so fuckin gross (by which I mean, earlier today I read the Twitter replies on Nintendo's Ryza 2 tweet, whoops!!). "leering" is probably overdramatic, but her whole costume is a bad first impression (all I can think when looking at her shirt is "cloth does not work like that")

if the game genuinely avoids doing anything gross with the characters I'll probably return to it, but it just doesn't sit right with me. like, pointlessly horny characters don't bother at all me when they're clearly, like, adults (e.g. I found attempting to find real pants for Sharla a hilarious minigame in Xenoblade), and I'm glad Ryza is at least canonically older in the next game
I mean Ryza's outfit doesn't read that intensenly horny to me, obviously shes not a real person but minus the shorts its not far off from clothes a real teenager would wear. Well, including the shorts tbh, but thats a very different circumstance. Regardless you know what I mean.

And yeah what CharlestheHammer said. Ryza's popular but even characters with completely normal designs get sexualized by randos on the internet. Plenty of people out there hornt up for Ayesha from Atelier Ayesha, whose design could pass for a character from a children's fairytale. I'm not gonna deny Ryza is more like, tuned for that kinda discourse some more but I don't think it's excessive and the game portrays it in such a way that I believe the designer when he says it wasn't really the intent.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

abraham linksys posted:

FWIW I was watching a friend stream it because I'm in the same boat as you, and it's not actually gross or horny in the game itself (at least as far as they got, which was the first couple of plot beats). Ryza hangs out with her friends, finds a dude willing to teach her alchemy (and his associate with the incredibly embarrassing outfit), and shirks her work until her parents yell at her.

e: she was a little jiggly in her victory pose, but it was sort of just eye-rolling instead of 'gently caress this game and the people who made it', if that makes sense?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah also the whole arc of ryza is very much about ryza's characterization and the whole 'small town girl wants to escape the drudgery of farm life' and such, very much about the small town experience. its def. not something where the plot is constantly sexualizing her or anything, i dont think theres even a throwaway joke about it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I definitely remember being surprised at the sheer lack of horn in the game yeah considering that they wouldn't shut up about Ryza's thighs in the interviews. I would have expected more of that to bleed into the game itself, but it really didn't, or at least did it so minimally that I was surprised

Honestly the Arland games (and Rorona in particular) are much more uncomfortably horny, with everyone getting handsy with poor 14 year old Rorona. To the point where in my effortpost OP for the Atelier thread I put a content warning next to the Rorona recommendation. I don't really feel the need to do that from Ryza. If other people chime in and agree with abraham maybe I'll reconsider that stance though

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Man I just can't bring myself to finish DQ11 I'm at the point where the world got destroyed and I'm playing as sylv and I just don't feel like I can finish jrpgs anymore. I loved the Saturday morning cartoon feel but the game package is drawn out too long.

I feel like Chrono trigger at 20 hours was the perfect length.

Now DQ is on the shelf with fire emblem three houses and Xenoblade 2. Why do I keep buying jrpgs hoping things will be different?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yep, most games work pretty well but check https://citra-emu.org/wiki/compatibility-list/ to be sure

Didn't know this was a thing. Maybe now I can try playing SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers without dropping $300 on a 3DS.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
3ds, ps3 and (sorta) xbox 360 emulation are all pretty viable these days, most rpgs tend to be well covered by them. in my experience with citra the one big weird thing i've run into is that voice acting in fire emblem games isn't emulated properly. it's all pitched up by like... 20%

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

One day, we'll all be able to emulate Infinite Undiscovery.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

To this day the only thing I know about Infinite Undiscovery is previews for it in EGM made it sound really interesting but apparently the game was actually nothing like it at all.

Oh, and the dinner dance scene.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

All 4 fiends are based on their D&D namesakes. Kraken's probably the most generic of the 4 since it's just... a kraken, but with the more humanoid head.

Mud/Stone/Iron golems were 1st edition D&D enemies, the player classes were all based on 1st ed player choices (red mage looking like an Elf isn't a coincidence)..etc. The OG Final Fantasy is a D&D campaign with the serial numbers covered by scotch tape.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Man I just can't bring myself to finish DQ11 I'm at the point where the world got destroyed and I'm playing as sylv and I just don't feel like I can finish jrpgs anymore. I loved the Saturday morning cartoon feel but the game package is drawn out too long.

Now DQ is on the shelf with fire emblem three houses and Xenoblade 2. Why do I keep buying jrpgs hoping things will be different?

Cosmic Star Heroine is a nice little 12 hour romp and you'd be supporting some real hard working folks. It wont be the greatest RPG you play but it doesn't overstay its welcome and theres no cliffhanger for a sequel so it feels good to finish.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ibram Gaunt posted:

To this day the only thing I know about Infinite Undiscovery is previews for it in EGM made it sound really interesting but apparently the game was actually nothing like it at all.

Oh, and the dinner dance scene.

I'm pretty sure this is the only thing I know about the game. Is it good? Bad? Who cares--it's dinner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY&t=105s

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Max Wilco posted:

Didn't know this was a thing. Maybe now I can try playing SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers without dropping $300 on a 3DS.

3ds hasn't been 300 since like the half year and cost like 60 nowadays

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno if you're in the US or if it's different outside, but you can get functionally new ones from Nintendo for $100-120.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

dimension doooooor

dimension door is the best attack in the game because it makes you invulnerable to field wide attacks iirc

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

dimension door is the best attack in the game because it makes you invulnerable to field wide attacks iirc

It was the only way I could figure out to get past Luther's stupid room wide attack

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I just spammed stun bombs.

Bombs in general are really good for the end and post-game bosses (MP killing Freya in particular is faster than whittling down her hp).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If you were feeling Dragon Quest but just got burned out by the length 4 is pretty solid and approximately 20 hours to get to the end credits. The definite version is on mobile devices tho, so that’s something to bear in mind if you dislike mobile controls.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
id wear riza's outfit dancing however im very incensed that the 2h sword boy dresses like a floozy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Zore posted:

I mean modern XCOM also fucks with the numbers on every difficulty below the top one. Every time the enemy hits they get an invisible malus to hit again for a number of attacks and every time your guys miss you get an invisible aim bonus until you hit. That isn't even mentioning all the AI tricks, line of play etc systems.

https://www.giantbomb.com/xcom-2/3030-49817/forums/xcom-2-is-un-fair-1792143/

In general its way more egregious than the true hit stuff in Fire Emblem too

I think the stacking aim bonus is a good way to handle difficulty settings in games like that and it should be completely visible to the player :angel:

e: i think fire emblem should just directly obfuscate the numbers with "very likely to hit" "very unlikely to hit" if they're gonna do that instead of acting like it's not obfuscating the numbers but in fact falsifying them, but it ultimately doesn't work out against the player i guess probably and i don't play those games so whatever. i feel pretty strongly though that good difficulty settings give players an 'on ramp' to playing the harder difficulties (even at the expense of the easiest difficulty not being accessible to absolutely everyone though that's a different conversation.) fudging the numbers like this just leads to forming bad habits in context of the hardest difficulty where the invisible handicap is suddenly removed, with no feedback to the player on why they're suddenly failing because as far as they know nothing about the shots they're taking has changed.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 21, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

fudging the numbers like this just leads to forming bad habits in context of the hardest difficulty where the invisible handicap is suddenly removed, with no feedback to the player on why they're suddenly failing because as far as they know nothing about the shots they're taking has changed.
i agree with that about xcom but fe uses the same system no matter what difficulty youre on so theres no real trick there

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They've removed true hit now right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

They've removed true hit now right?
No.

Fates and Echoes used a far more insane system.

quote:

Fates differs from previous entries in the series, introducing a new "hybrid" system between the 1 RN and 2 RN hit rate systems. If the displayed hit rate is lower than 50%, the game will only roll one random number to determine if attacks land. If the hit rate is 50% or higher, the game will still roll for two random numbers, but instead of averaging the two, one of them is weighted more than the other, as shown below:[3]

Fates True hit rate: (Hit rate × 100) + ((40 / 3) × Hit rate × sin((0.02(Hit rate) - 1) × 180) If True Hit < Hit rate, attack lands.

The upshot of this is that sub-50 hit rates are single RN, accurate to what's displayed, and hit rates above 50 are less accurate than they are in two RN. In two RN a displayed 60% is actually 68%. In Fates a displayed 60% is actually 64%. It's a weird middle ground that mostly nerfs the player compared to past games, which is part of the reason Conquest especially feels like a bit of a struggle. But it's still not single RN like FE1-5.

And Three Houses just went back to two RN.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No. There have been slight changes/experimentation with the formula during Fates and Shadows of Valentia but Three Houses uses the 2RN True Hit system from FE7-FE13.

e: Bested, yet again, by mortals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

i agree with that about xcom but fe uses the same system no matter what difficulty youre on so theres no real trick there

yeah i really dislike/disagree with the psychological argument for for instance not displaying 99% hit chances (i agree that it makes people mad when they miss on a 1% but i disagree that that's a good reason not to see it) but i've had it explained to me FE uses an average of two random numbers system for hit probability and there's very practical reasons like "not giving nintendo's console audience decimal hit percentages" for fudging the numbers that make sense to me.