Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s a little surprising that Harrison Ford only has 2 characters, but then again what other character are they going to use? A LEGO playset for the film Sabrina?

I’d buy a LEGO Air Force One set in a loving heartbeat. Probably The Fugitive and Blade Runner too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

muscles like this! posted:

Also in The Old Guard Charlize Theron scoffs at the idea of religion when the whole immortality stuff is explicitly magic like how whenever there's a new immortal soldier they have dreams about each other until they meet.

Just because magic is real it doesn’t mean that God is.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think John Rhys-Davies has minifigs for both Indiana Jones and LOTR. LEGO will make minifigs for anything.

It’s a little surprising that Harrison Ford only has 2 characters, but then again what other character are they going to use? A LEGO playset for the film Sabrina?

Him in suspenders and a straw hat dressed as an Amish guy in Witness

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

muscles like this! posted:

Watched the Netflix movie The Old Guard and the whole betrayal subplot doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If Booker betrayed them early on he did a bad job of it since they handily escape. Also he doesn't seem to actually get anything from the betrayal since he also gets captured and is going to be experimented on.

I don't think it was a great film, but I think he explained that Booker was tired of their immortal lifestyle, and felt like he wanted to A) die and B) accomplish something he considered meaningful, which involved essentially donating their bodies to medical science. He wasn't interested in a personal reward for the betrayal beyond the benefits to society and potentially the end of his life. Further, I assume that the initial mission - where they're recorded - was intended to just demonstrate that they actually have the abilities he claims. The actual handover was supposed to be at the church safe house where the first two immortals are taken, but C Theron being out with the new person hosed up the plan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darthemed posted:

drat, now I want a Lego set for The Conversation.

Reminded me of the "My Dinner With Andre" action figure set from one of Chris Guest's movies. Waiting for Guffman I think

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

fartknocker posted:

I’d buy a LEGO Air Force One set in a loving heartbeat. Probably The Fugitive and Blade Runner too.

Blade runner would be cool - you could have a flying car or that airship with minifig Deckard and replicants.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I have just finished the first season of Jessica Jones, and only in the very last episode did someone have the idea to use headphones and loud music to not listen to the guy who's power is telling you what to do.
And the stupid explanation that it was caused by a virus when he later develops the power to do it remotely. This applies to every movie and tv show when they try to explain how a power works but it doesn't make any sense. Just leave it unexplained!

Doug Sisk has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Jul 21, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We really need more superheroes whose power source is 'Your guess is as good as mine.'

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Doug Sisk posted:

I have just finished the first season of Jessica Jones, and only in the very last episode did someone have the idea to use headphones and loud music to not listen to the guy who's power is telling you what to do.
And the stupid explanation that it was caused by a virus when he later develops the power to do it remotely. This applies to every movie and tv show when they try to explain how a power works but it doesn't make any sense. Just leave it unexplained!

The Preacher show kind of went off the rails after the 2nd season, but at least the bad guys knew enough to wear ear protection.

Didn’t always help, but it made things marginally more difficult for the protagonist.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We really need more superheroes whose power source is 'Your guess is as good as mine.'

Hancock.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Preacher show kind of went off the rails after the 2nd season, but at least the bad guys knew enough to wear ear protection.

Didn’t always help, but it made things marginally more difficult for the protagonist.

There was a scene in the comic where Jesse tried to use the Word on some attacking gunmen and it didn't work because none of them spoke English.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The episode where he’s fighting the henchmen listening to Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl on headphones was :discourse:.

I never got around to watching the last season, but they were good for at least one over-the-top fight scene each year.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
In Motherland: Fort Salem non magic people are so comfortable with witches that guns never really took off. Can't really buy that part of the alternate universe.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gaunab posted:

In Motherland: Fort Salem non magic people are so comfortable with witches that guns never really took off. Can't really buy that part of the alternate universe.

I don't remember that. They even talk about using conventional means to take care of something if the witches can't.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

It also showed that you weren't affected if you didn't understand english.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

10 Beers posted:

I don't remember that. They even talk about using conventional means to take care of something if the witches can't.

I put it on as background noise yesterday while I was working so I probably missed that part. I just assumed there weren't any guns because a sloppily trained unit of witches doesn't seem like they would stand much of a chance against people with guns.

The show has some interesting ideas but they weren't executed/communicated too well and part of that could have been because it was on freeform and aimed at teenagers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Generally the Marvel Netflix shows have one or two great things per season but they are all universally and without exception extremely dumb. They also all go on way too long and pad out what should be like a 6 episode season to something like 16.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I don't like it when witchy fiction has cheeky references to the Salem witch trials because it suggests that all those innocent victims were actually witches and deserved to get murdered.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

Generally the Marvel Netflix shows have one or two great things per season but they are all universally and without exception extremely dumb. They also all go on way too long and pad out what should be like a 6 episode season to something like 16.

Daredevil Season 2 was amazing... for the first four episodes. When it went from the punisher stuff to the undead ninjas it lost me. Nobody likes Hand stuff.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Iron Fist season 2 ended with an incredibly promising thing... then got canceled. Like, it could have went on to become one of the best of the Marvel shows from being the worst.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nobody likes Hand stuff.

I feel sorry for your partner.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Luke Cage was the only marvel Netflix series that somehow didn't just sort of poo poo itself mid season.

I gave up on season 2 of Jessica Jones cause it just got so goddamn boring, and the 3rd season of Daredevil was basically just "Matt is a rampaging rear end in a top hat, listen to Fisk wheeze" so I bailed on it too.

Even cage got kinda dumb. Was shot with those exploding bullet things, and they save his life by taking out just one of em and ignoring the other completely. No clue wtf happened there.

The defenders was actually fun. Couldn't get into season 2 of iron fist though, god that lead guy sucked so much.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
It kind of bothered me that they didn't really go anywhere with studying the Immortals in the Old Guard . I'm fine with them keeping the immortality thing ambiguous, but it would've been satisfying to see the pharma tech guy realize the cells the immortals have are just normal human cells and they can't benefit from it.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

Iron Fist season 2 ended with an incredibly promising thing... then got canceled. Like, it could have went on to become one of the best of the Marvel shows from being the worst.

Agreed, the first 1.9 seasons were poo poo, but the last 10 minutes of the last episode set up an interesting 3rd season.
Does netflix always cancel shows after 2 or 3 seasons? It seems like it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doug Sisk posted:

Agreed, the first 1.9 seasons were poo poo, but the last 10 minutes of the last episode set up an interesting 3rd season.
Does netflix always cancel shows after 2 or 3 seasons? It seems like it.

Season 3 is when a lot of contract stuff kicks in, so yep, they usually cancel there.

RIP Santa Clarita Diet. That show was loving hilarious.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also Disney+ was about to launch so they started consolidating all their streaming content by letting existing contracts expire.

I just realized because of COVID-19 the Marvel shows on Disney+ all got pushed back. I was looking forward to Wanda/Vision too.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Season 3 is when a lot of contract stuff kicks in, so yep, they usually cancel there.

Santa Clarita Diet was probably my favourite Netflix original show, and they cancel it after a massive cliffhanger

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Those fuckers cancelled Chilling Adventures of Sabrina too.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

It was so loving good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baron von Eevl posted:

WHAT

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Huh. Missed this news. Weird, I thought it was pretty well received?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doug Sisk posted:

Santa Clarita Diet was probably my favourite Netflix original show, and they cancel it after a massive cliffhanger

I busted up laughing at least once an episode during season 2 and 3. Quite possibly the funniest show I’ve seen in the past ten years.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, but Netflix doesn't care about viewership or ratings, their methods are inscrutable but I think it mostly has to do with "can we keep doing this but much much cheaper now that people liked it?" and the answer is always no so they just cancel.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Krispy Wafer posted:

"Get off of my plane!" - President James Marshall

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In Law Abiding Citizen, if he was so good at killing people why bother with the elaborate putting yourself in to prison act? It's not like they were fooled into thinking it wasn't him (or his accomplices) all along, so why not just do all the murder and deny it? Putting yourself into prison and somehow getting the exact solitary cell you need seems a lot harder than just doing the mass murder/assassinations on easy mode by just getting away with it without all of that.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In Law Abiding Citizen, if he was so good at killing people why bother with the elaborate putting yourself in to prison act? It's not like they were fooled into thinking it wasn't him (or his accomplices) all along, so why not just do all the murder and deny it? Putting yourself into prison and somehow getting the exact solitary cell you need seems a lot harder than just doing the mass murder/assassinations on easy mode by just getting away with it without all of that.

in fairness, I think it showed that he dug holes to all the solitary confinement cells.

but yeah, current events tell us he'd have been just fine putting on a smile and smugly denying everything lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movie also has a bad message of the villain being proven right because he's only stopped when the hero stoops to his level by killing him and it is treated like a good thing.

Also complained about this before but it bears repeating how weird the movie is with only the criminals aging between the opening and the 10 year time skip. Everyone else looks exactly the same.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

I busted up laughing at least once an episode during season 2 and 3. Quite possibly the funniest show I’ve seen in the past ten years.
"Does this hat make me look like the edge?" was the most I'd laughed at anything on netflix until I Think You Should Leave :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Best thing to come out of that movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGrHBpfqCo