Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

therattle posted:

There was a thread about WW2 I think here on SA where someone was discussing the terrible industrial planning of the Germans. The example was the Luftwaffe, where there were something like 27 different machine guns used across the fleet, and even guns of the same calibre sometimes required different ammo. This was compared to the US, where across the Army and Air Force (and probably Navy and Marines) there were two calibres with standard ammo: .30 and .50 - allowing for much greater efficiency in production, maintenance, supply etc. The German industrial war machine was splintered and competitive, leading to a lot of inefficiency.

Yep, and that type of standardization often went across the allies as well. If there is one martial art perfected by America above all others it’s logistics. People complaining about America “showing up late” like that one guy earlier miss the point that the US was involved in the war almost from the beginning and without lend/lease the British and the Soviets would have much more difficult time. For a good period after Dunkirk, Britain was an army with almost no heavy weapons and equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

GolfHole posted:

this is a cool story about the nazis getting owned by a retired guy, some kids, and 40-year old torpedos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KgBJC4RXC4

THIS VIDEO IS SPONSORED BY WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ YOU loving LOVE WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ PLAY WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ BUY OUR MICROTRANSACTIONS YOU FUCKERRRRRRRR!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't want to buy world of workshops

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Strumpie posted:

THIS VIDEO IS SPONSORED BY WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ YOU loving LOVE WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ PLAY WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ BUY OUR MICROTRANSACTIONS YOU FUCKERRRRRRRR!

that was the worst part about ww2

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Derpies posted:

The uniform break down was amazing and one of the best things I've read on this forum and just makes you lol at Nazis even more

Those are by Cessna in one of the old A/T milhist threads.

The general gist is that german uniforms were designed to look good, which is bad for a combat uniform. First of all, they were supremely overengineered. A german uniform took more cloth and vastly more time to sew than anyone else's, with a whole bunch of unneccessary bits that would get in your way and delay you. Secondly, they weren't comfortable in combat, being overly tight and designed to make you look tall and slim where you want something baggy. You also get dumb poo poo like certain accessories (canteen, gas mask holder, etc) worn on your body being bare metal rather than covered in cloth, meaning a german squad on the move sounds like they're wearing a tin-can alarm. German helmets were similar. Allied armies used a single piece of steel, pressed it into a uniform size, and stuck an adjustable liner in it so it would fit most any soldier. Germans required multiple artisanal steps per custom-fitted helmet. Because you see, one-size-fits all might make the particularly short or large soldiers look less good.

This runs all throughout the german military. Like, iirc, the turret of the famous Panther: the gunner had no open sights. He only had massive magnification. So instead of acquiring a target and then aiming, the commander has to meticulously guide him onto the target. The driver also has to help, because switching gears is required to rotate the turret, iirc.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I was listening to an interview of Tom Hanks by Dan Carlin from Hardcore History about Greyhound, the WW2 movie he wrote and starred in. Hanks seemed like a good guy who genuinely loves history, but he said a few things that were really iffy that Carlin never challenged.

One thing I remember Hanks saying is that after the fall of France, no one believed that Germany could possibly be stopped until the Battle of Stalingrad. Exactly how many believed that I'm not sure, but by the Battle of Stalingrad the U.S. had officially declared war on the Axis powers and of course the USSR had joined the Allies. Both Churchill and Stalin were assured that Germany would eventually lose.

Also, is Greyhound any good?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
yeah but all the germans did look like tall handsome boys whereas the allies looked like dumpy men in sack cloth, literally.

can't put a price on being fabulous. :sparkles:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always liked how Red Army guys looked like they were wearing pajamas. Looks comfortable as hell.

Ive actually heard Canadian uniforms were the most comfortable. US ones looked pretty functional too.

But yea, German uniforms looking good but actually being terrible is pretty par for the course. As I said earlier, Nazism and fascism in general is all about pagentry.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but they were saving planes for Barbarossa even then. The Germans never committed their full power against Britain, becuase he was more focused on the USSR.

Wells died in 1946.

Well I think the date of Well's death is debatable but historians give numerous dates and I think the 1928 date is the one supported by the most evidence. Regardless the German failure to occupy Britain owed far more to their lack of ships to ferry their planes across the English Channel - which yes was partly due to much of the German navy being diverted to the eastern front.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Those are by Cessna in one of the old A/T milhist threads.

The general gist is that german uniforms were designed to look good, which is bad for a combat uniform. First of all, they were supremely overengineered. A german uniform took more cloth and vastly more time to sew than anyone else's, with a whole bunch of unneccessary bits that would get in your way and delay you. Secondly, they weren't comfortable in combat, being overly tight and designed to make you look tall and slim where you want something baggy. You also get dumb poo poo like certain accessories (canteen, gas mask holder, etc) worn on your body being bare metal rather than covered in cloth, meaning a german squad on the move sounds like they're wearing a tin-can alarm. German helmets were similar. Allied armies used a single piece of steel, pressed it into a uniform size, and stuck an adjustable liner in it so it would fit most any soldier. Germans required multiple artisanal steps per custom-fitted helmet. Because you see, one-size-fits all might make the particularly short or large soldiers look less good.

This runs all throughout the german military. Like, iirc, the turret of the famous Panther: the gunner had no open sights. He only had massive magnification. So instead of acquiring a target and then aiming, the commander has to meticulously guide him onto the target. The driver also has to help, because switching gears is required to rotate the turret, iirc.

First Gen Tiger Ausf Bs had a fancy turret design that deflected incoming fire downwards into the relatively unarmored deck of the tank :rolleye:

I remember reading a post or article about how Hitler was obsessed with being taken down by a military coup to the point that he intentionally sowed discord in his own army and sabotaged their efficiency in order to prevent it from happening. The example given was that Goring was given 200k ground troops to command - not airborne infantry, not mechanized infantry - just, like, 200k dudes that worked for the air force in an infantry capacity, rather than having them serving in the army where they could fight in a combined arms capacity with the tanks and other support vehicles the army had access to. He did this specifically because he trusted Goring more than any of the generals in the Heer and wanted him to be able to push Hitler's agenda over less the less political guys in the Heer who, while still being Nazis, were still far more likely to say "hey maybe I shouldn't let all my dudes die because it would make for a cool narrative about how noble my dudes were and savage the bad guys are"

Also Douglas MacArthur is probably the single most overrated general in modern military history, even more than Rommel maybe, the dude loving sucked and was bad at everything

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well I think the date of Well's death is debatable but historians give numerous dates and I think the 1928 date is the one supported by the most evidence. Regardless the German failure to occupy Britain owed far more to their lack of ships to ferry their planes across the English Channel - which yes was partly due to much of the German navy being diverted to the eastern front.

i'm just glad he finished Citizen Kane before he died.

also planes fly over the channel.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That brings me to a fun little entertainment tidbit. HG Wells actually did pass away before he finished writing the screenplay for Citizen Kane and many of the films most iconic scenes were latter additions by his nephew Orson.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

One thing I remember Hanks saying is that after the fall of France, no one believed that Germany could possibly be stopped until the Battle of Stalingrad. Exactly how many believed that I'm not sure, but by the Battle of Stalingrad the U.S. had officially declared war on the Axis powers and of course the USSR had joined the Allies. Both Churchill and Stalin were assured that Germany would eventually lose.

Well the US was still an unknown quantity militarily, especially in Europe. The only major US land victory was on Wake Island and there was still the assumption that the Japanese were a second-tier army (because racism). As well the Germans summer offensive was still fairly successful up until Stalingrad.

With the benefit of hindsight we can see that obviously the entrance of the US in the war and the slowly stiffening USSR resistance made a German victory highly unlikely, however at the time there was still a lot of uncertainty and fear among the Allies.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
You don't fully realize how awful the Nazis were until you realize that even in the face of an unstoppable Russian avalanche charging toward them with the fury of a thousand suns, they still carefully packed up and moved concentration camps and their inmates further west.

They did not for instance go "Oh poo poo, everyone grab military stuff and run back to Germany, just leave the prisoners and stuff here because we have no time! Holocaust schmolocaust! Survival first!"
Nope, they deemed it important to pack away the transport their genocide with them even when under existential threat from millions of angry Slavs.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ZlMXkzUqI

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was listening to an interview of Tom Hanks by Dan Carlin from Hardcore History about Greyhound, the WW2 movie he wrote and starred in. Hanks seemed like a good guy who genuinely loves history, but he said a few things that were really iffy that Carlin never challenged.

I listened to Hanks being interviewed by Conan O'Brien (definite recommend both are hilarious) and yeah Hanks knows a lot but a few of his facts weren't quite right. He mentioned that same idea that before Stalingrad (concluded in Feb 1943) the Axis hadn't enduring a major defeat, somehow forgetting Midway was in June 1942.

Some more stuff that's interesting:
-Japan placed a low priority on feeding their troops properly and they were expected to prepare their own rice each day and forage in the field. This led to devastating troop losses from malnutrition especially at Guadalcanal. Contrast to the US supply chain, that even put ice cream making machines on ships.
-Hundreds of elephants perished on the Burma campaign where the were used as porters by the British.
-Germans greatly preferred fighting American/British troops on the Western front as they didn't commonly use night attacks, as had been routine practice on the Eastern Front.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Strumpie posted:

yeah but all the germans did look like tall handsome boys whereas the allies looked like dumpy men in sack cloth, literally.

can't put a price on being fabulous. :sparkles:

They actually started subsidizing school lunch because of how malnourished all the WW2 conscripts were.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's good that the Russians saved Europe and that America cockblocked them from also conquering Europe

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chillgamesh posted:

First Gen Tiger Ausf Bs had a fancy turret design that deflected incoming fire downwards into the relatively unarmored deck of the tank :rolleye:

I remember reading a post or article about how Hitler was obsessed with being taken down by a military coup to the point that he intentionally sowed discord in his own army and sabotaged their efficiency in order to prevent it from happening. The example given was that Goring was given 200k ground troops to command - not airborne infantry, not mechanized infantry - just, like, 200k dudes that worked for the air force in an infantry capacity, rather than having them serving in the army where they could fight in a combined arms capacity with the tanks and other support vehicles the army had access to. He did this specifically because he trusted Goring more than any of the generals in the Heer and wanted him to be able to push Hitler's agenda over less the less political guys in the Heer who, while still being Nazis, were still far more likely to say "hey maybe I shouldn't let all my dudes die because it would make for a cool narrative about how noble my dudes were and savage the bad guys are"

Also Douglas MacArthur is probably the single most overrated general in modern military history, even more than Rommel maybe, the dude loving sucked and was bad at everything

MacArthur:

https://youtu.be/0XZ9-muhi7A

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zzulu posted:

It's good that the Russians saved Europe and that America cockblocked them from also conquering Europe

Based on what happened to the countries that did fall under soviet control post war, I don't think that was a bad thing.

Also Germans looking fabulous makes me think of Sam Rockwell at the end of Jojo Rabbit.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No it was a good thing obviously

If America hadn't been there to go "heeey there bud, hold yer horsies there bud" :clint: to the soviet union I'm sure they would have seized the moment and just rolled over Europe

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone let's argue about who was good, the US or the USSR

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone let's argue about who was good, the US or the USSR

Obviously the United States and the Soviet Republic were stronger together than after they split up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like how the Soviets produced more tanks in a month than the Germans produced in the entire war.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm not real sure painting a sign that says 'tank' and making three guys run with it counts

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTBYksnK7N0

i like that hitler is the punchline to every joke in the english language.

what would we do without you hitler.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Still have grandparents probably

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
You know what was great about ww2? A lot of nazis died.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Beef City posted:

I'm not real sure painting a sign that says 'tank' and making three guys run with it counts

Yea the Germans were down to nothing by the end of the war.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
brown shirts?

more like brown pants!

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Kinda crazy that we have all these movies about soldiers shooting each other when so many people died from a going to work and having a bomb fall on their head

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Well I think the date of Well's death is debatable but historians give numerous dates and I think the 1928 date is the one supported by the most evidence.

Here’s HG Wells talking to Orson Welles in 1940.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i83IJuaB9DA

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Kinda crazy that we have all these movies about soldiers shooting each other when so many people died from a going to work and having a bomb fall on their head

Now now strategic bombing was fairly innacurate it was more like a bomb hit you while you were just existing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

i mean its easy with hindsight to say germany was hosed and i am sure some of the upper echelon dudes knew germany was probably hosed even than. but no one was sure.

Grape posted:

You don't fully realize how awful the Nazis were until you realize that even in the face of an unstoppable Russian avalanche charging toward them with the fury of a thousand suns, they still carefully packed up and moved concentration camps and their inmates further west.

They did not for instance go "Oh poo poo, everyone grab military stuff and run back to Germany, just leave the prisoners and stuff here because we have no time! Holocaust schmolocaust! Survival first!"
Nope, they deemed it important to pack away the transport their genocide with them even when under existential threat from millions of angry Slavs.

its because that was part of their whole war aim. https://www.amazon.com/Black-Earth-Holocaust-History-Warning/dp/1101903473
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmgs_CWxMHc

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its easy with hindsight to say germany was hosed and i am sure some of the upper echelon dudes knew germany was probably hosed even than. but no one was sure.

its because that was part of their whole war aim. https://www.amazon.com/Black-Earth-Holocaust-History-Warning/dp/1101903473

I'm aware. But that wasn't the war aim in the late late late hours of the war.
The war aim there was RUN, gently caress ME RUN JESUS RUN, FIVE BILLION ANGRY RUSSIANS, gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo rear end.

Generally at that stage of things you don't focus on stretch goals and long term results so much as loving HAUL rear end JESUS gently caress SLAVS EVERYWHERE SON OF gently caress, at that point a rout is occurring and you drop everything not essential to survival and at best hope to fall back to a line or something.

Generally, but the Nazis did not forget to keep genociding.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I think the worst thing about world war 2 was how long it took to respawn and no cool kill streaks. The graphics were pretty poo poo and the game play was... eh. Cold war dlc was lame but what do you expect i guess. IGN still gives it a 9/10.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Servoret posted:

Here’s HG Wells talking to Orson Welles in 1940.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i83IJuaB9DA

The thing is as amateur historians it's easy to be swayed by whatever the most recent bit of evidence you saw was. So sure, it's interesting but what context does it exist in? As I said there are numerous somewhat plausible dates for Wells' death but I think that the preponderance of evidence shows that Wells most likely died in 1928.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The thing is as amateur historians it's easy to be swayed by whatever the most recent bit of evidence you saw was. So sure, it's interesting but what context does it exist in? As I said there are numerous somewhat plausible dates for Wells' death but I think that the preponderance of evidence shows that Wells most likely died in 1928.

What is this bit from?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that lecture is eye opening. highly recommend a listen at 1.75 speed.

"People can disguise for themselves that it's (a conflict) about survival, when it is in fact a (conflict) about standard of living"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

imagine being a farmer in rural germany 1933 and rolling up to one of hitlers rallies for the first time.

hoo boy whats all this excitement about, cant wait to meet this hitler fella. gee thats a lot of red and black, seems a little aggresive huh guys oh no