Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nunsexmonkrock posted:

If anyone wants me to take crappy pictures of more let me know - don't want to fill the thread with something no one wants. For reference I found everything except for the gyroscope and the control panel.

I’d love at least one more. Anything that’s inescapably of its 90s moment would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

If anyone wants me to take crappy pictures of more let me know - don't want to fill the thread with something no one wants. For reference I found everything except for the gyroscope and the control panel.

Keep posting.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Definitely keep posting them! I had this book as a kid too and it's scratching a huge nostalgia itch!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Adder Moray posted:

I did. Expressly for the purpose of fresh eyes giving it a read and seeing what they got from it.

Anyways, here it is.

This was a fun read. I’ll definitely read more of your friend is inclined to do another page by page write up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't know if it count as a spoiler, but here's some promo art of the villains from X of Swords.

gently caress yeah giant crocodile with a sword!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pogg does indeed look to be Poggers

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

This was a fun read. I’ll definitely read more of your friend is inclined to do another page by page write up.
Happening as we speak. She's planning on doing a handful of pages every other day.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh. In less vital news, it looks like Vita Ayala is taking over for Duggan on Marauders for the X of Swords issue. Do we know if it's just a one-off thing?

Also Jean is wearing her cool better costume on that cover, but still her dumb lame one on Cable, which is an insult directed to me, personally.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, I am legit pissed off. Spent a while trying to find a copy of that FCBD X-Men issue, because it had a cool cover, so it's got to have some good stuff in there even if it's just a tease for that X Swords stuff.

Look at that, Illyana, Rogue, facing some unknown threat. This has got to be good.

But NOOOOO, there's nothing to do with that cover here. It's about four pages of Saturnyne being cryptic and six pages of tarot cards with designs that look like (or are) upcoming covers. And it's the sort of bad cryptic. Nothing interesting is said, shown, or happens.

Then it's 11 pages of some upcoming Avengers event that starts with Ironman losing a leg like it's a DC comic. What the gently caress has that anything to do with the X-Men?? Bloody hell

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 21, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s a free book? They almost always have a B story, and I thought it did a good job of teasing X of Swords with stuff we haven’t been seeing in the main books.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Then it's 11 pages of some upcoming Avengers event that starts with Ironman losing a leg like it's a DC comic. What the gently caress has that anything to do with the X-Men?? Bloody hell

thats not what that backup was teasing at all

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/superheroslandr/status/1284527614225342465?s=21

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ah, so I was right that X of Swords was a tarot reference!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ah, so I was right that X of Swords was a tarot reference!

They've said it was like fifteen XV times.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

In one of the very first issues of House of/Powers of Moira starts rambling about tarot cards to Xavier, even.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Finally it's Tarot's time to shine!

Which led me to looking up Tarot on the Marvel wikia, and of course she's died and come back like four times and each time the wikia's like, "we're not exactly sure how she died or when she got resurrected."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Which led me to looking up Tarot on the Marvel wikia, and of course she's died and come back like four times and each time the wikia's like, "we're not exactly sure how she died or when she got resurrected."

I always like those hodgepodge comic book wikipedia articles where they're like 'Killblood was then utterly destroyed via psychic feedback when his body was disintegrated forever by a vengeful god'

and then the very next line is like 'he was next seen robbing a bank with the Killcrew three weeks later, this appearance has yet to be explained'.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I want to see a character themselves acknowledge that they have no idea why or how they're back.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Angry Salami posted:

I want to see a character themselves acknowledge that they have no idea why or how they're back.

Dazzler does: New Excalibur Vol. 1 goes into it a bit, as well as X-Treme X-Men Vol. 2 and A-Force Vol. 2, the post Secret Wars series, IIRC.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rochallor posted:

For a split second there I thought “...Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose is a MARVEL comic?”

Angry Salami posted:

Doc Samson pretty much says as much in Immortal Hulk until the Hulk tells him about the Green Door stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The weirdest thin is that issue that Taro comes back in without explanation? Was an issue of Spider-Man/Deadpool where they crossed over with Penn & Teller (I think one of them wrote it even). So they presumably specifically requested to use Tarot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh man, I was not expecting anything like what we got from Empyre X-Men. Also one of the funniest title pages ever.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh man, I was not expecting anything like what we got from Empyre X-Men. Also one of the funniest title pages ever.

I enjoyed it, though it does seem OOC for Wanda to do something that incredibly stupid. also wonder if it was coordinated with the Avengers tie-in at all

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Barry Convex posted:

I enjoyed it, though it does seem OOC for Wanda to do something that incredibly stupid. also wonder if it was coordinated with the Avengers tie-in at all

Someone being written wildly stupid to facilitate drama? This would never ever happen in Comic Books(tm).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Considering she also shows up in the Avenger's issue, we can safely assume she looked at what she did, let out an "aw gently caress" and teleported out of there and put it out of her mind

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gologle posted:

Considering she also shows up in the Avenger's issue, we can safely assume she looked at what she did, let out an "aw gently caress" and teleported out of there and put it out of her mind

I like this headcanon but I imagine she'll show up again in the mini

also wonder if Hickman has any particular significance attached to "pretender," Madelyne Pryor was also called that in one of the HoX/PoX text pages iirc

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Someone being written wildly stupid to facilitate drama? This would never ever happen in Comic Books(tm).

Upon actually viewing the comic I would like to revise my statement to "lol gently caress off Hickman"

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Just keep giving me Magik being fabulous and terrifying across the Marvel universe, please. I enjoyed her saving the New Mutant's butts and her being "security" for Angel and Penance in the Empyre tie-in this week. Strange Academy #2 was a fun scene for her, but her outfit was a bit plain for me - perhaps she was trying too hard to be professional, or Ramos is just not great at outfits.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Upon actually viewing the comic I would like to revise my statement to "lol gently caress off Hickman"

I really wouldn't worry about it. Hickman usually leaves characters better off when he's done. This is just the start for Wanda. By the end of his run, I'm pretty sure she'll have saved everyone's rear end.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The issue is incredibly fun but like, am I to understand that the premise is that Wanda accidentally turned a million dead Genoshans into zombies an entire month ago and then just like...hosed back off wherever without telling a single person about it?

Hickman usually leaves characters better off when he's done.
eh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I never read any Avengers poo poo until Bendis' New Avengers and I don't think Wanda hardly shows up at all in X-Men poo poo between Claremont and No More Mutants, (I have some big gaps in the 90s about my X-Men Lore), so I don't actually care that much about other writers making her an idiot.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Would be fun if someone she resurrected as a zombie has already been resurrected by the five, considering how sentient the zombies appear to be.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wanda you unoriginal clod, selene already did this like 10 years ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

That was post M Day too, right?

Laughing Zealot posted:

Would be fun if someone she resurrected as a zombie has already been resurrected by the five, considering how sentient the zombies appear to be.

I think most of Genosha is sorta at the back of the line.

Are there any good Wanda stories I should read that would help convince me there's any reason to actually redeem her? I don't really have a problem with her continuing to be the worst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That was post M Day too, right?

like 4 years after M-Day

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I really wouldn't worry about it. Hickman usually leaves characters better off when he's done. This is just the start for Wanda. By the end of his run, I'm pretty sure she'll have saved everyone's rear end.

I mean I sure hope so because it seems like a pretty big regression from her solo series where she's moving past a lot of this poo poo? So to see her get dragged back down into those weeds sucks. Having Hickman constantly referring to her as a pretender and delegitimatize her sucks. Having Dr. Strange just straight talk down to her sucks. And then having her screw up again and then just like ditch the situation??? Also sucks.

Like maybe it's just me but constantly going back to this well to go "lol this woman had an emotional breakdown 20 years ago and now she can't do anything right" feels skeevy as gently caress. Them conveniently ignoring her working to restore poo poo in AvX is also like. Why?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A lot of the retro Wanda/Vision stuff in old Avengers is very sweet and is one of the most interesting things happening in those comics. That's where my love for the character comes from.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just realized.

It's not X of Swords.

It's not 10 of Swords.

It's Cross of Swords. Like how Krakoa and Arakko have intertwined again.

We're through the looking hole here, people.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean

I kinda have a big problem with Marvel writers taking a character whose entire narrative has been framed largely around her identity as various oppressed demographics, both fictional and realistic -- whether it's her status as a mutant, Romani, Jewish, neurodivergent, or even as a woman -- and then just making GBS threads on it all over and over again like the character is the problem instead of the people who keep writing her doing lovely things.

Mark Millar established the weird creepy incestuous dynamic between her in Pietro in the Ultimate Universe.

Brian Bendis turned her into a crazy villainess doing crazy things because her powers made her crazy and also babies.

Joss Whedon introduced her into the MCU as a Hydra sympathizer from a made up country, which leads to:

Rick Remender retconning her heritage so that she was actually just appropriating the identity of two oppressed groups all along.

And now Hickman doing whatever it is he's doing here with her being the great sin-filled pretender and also a moron, apparently.

The character isn't doing this. Writers did this. Writers are the ones writing these bad stories. And then when other writers like Heinberg or Robinson try to somehow reclaim her status as one of the iconic Avengers, capable of being a hero, it just gets brushed off or reverted because a hosed up nonredeemable character who just makes things more difficult for everyone is just more interesting to them I guess. It's Hank Pym all over again.

Skwirl posted:

Are there any good Wanda stories I should read that would help convince me there's any reason to actually redeem her? I don't really have a problem with her continuing to be the worst.
Her recent solo series would be a fair place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Alaois posted:

Haha I completely forgot about this! And so did the X-Men's editors apparently!