Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Randaconda posted:

I hope kingdoms and empires are less stable in general, just to have something to do during the times you're waiting for other poo poo to happen.

I doubt there will be anything like this, except for the fact that there seems to be a bigger focus on more realms utilizing partition-typed succession for a few hundred years, which could lead to more claimant wars.

But personally when I think of poo poo I want to pop up to fill the gaps, I don't really think of rebellions and war because the combat in CK2 was never really that interesting. Especially if you're not a martial-focused character leading armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vichan posted:

Rulers in general really should be executed during coups more often. It's so weird to see a former emperor hanging around with a huge amount of titles.

I feel like the fact that they aren't is probably a deliberate design decision to give players a chance to claw themselves back to power after being deposed. It would suck to lose a civil war and then just immediately game over because the AI decides to strip you of all your titles.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
I'm doing the Monarch's Challenges and have run into a problem preventing me from getting Gold in a challenge. I need complete control of 15 provinces but an order of Knights holds one of my baronies. I can't revoke it; I can't usurp it; I can't inherit it. How can I get this barony back in my control?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everything Counts posted:

I'm doing the Monarch's Challenges and have run into a problem preventing me from getting Gold in a challenge. I need complete control of 15 provinces but an order of Knights holds one of my baronies. I can't revoke it; I can't usurp it; I can't inherit it. How can I get this barony back in my control?

There should be a decision to expel them from your realm for 1000 piety - this will give you control over all their holdings.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Can you give them the county and then vassalize them? It's definitely an option with the Pagan orders, which will also prevent the AI from hogging their troops.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Can you give them the county and then vassalize them? It's definitely an option with the Pagan orders, which will also prevent the AI from hogging their troops.

I can give this a shot but since they're in a Holy Order I'm not sure vassalization will be an option.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There should be a decision to expel them from your realm for 1000 piety - this will give you control over all their holdings.

This might be the thing. I'm not Independent yet but I'm 70% of my liege's forces and I'm allied with the HRE, so breaking free shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I can’t loving wait for CK3. CK2 feels so overwhelming to me with all the expansions but the concept really really interests me. Have they commented on the tutorials in the game? Are they assuming someone is really well versed in CK2?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

The tutorial definitely won't assume familiarity with CK2, and they've indicated that they have at least reflected on the bad parts of the CK2 tutorial.

But to be honest you'll probably want to read some guides or watch videos as a complete beginner regardless.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I imagine they would understand that this will be the first CK experience for a lot of people and build the tutorial accordingly. And if that's inadequate, you can just ask questions in this thread since goons will be digging through every line of code from day 1

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just remember
most, if not all problems, can be solved with :murder:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Cranky vassal refuses to give you levies? :ese:
Some other rear end in a top hat is beating you in the election? :ese:
Your cousin is Duke of Fucksburg and you're 3rd in line to inherit? :ese::ese::ese:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Various Meat Products posted:

Cranky vassal refuses to give you levies? :ese:
Some other rear end in a top hat is beating you in the election? :ese:
Your cousin is Duke of Fucksburg and you're 3rd in line to inherit? :ese::ese::ese:

i laughed out loud the first time i used the form bloodline ambition and the murdered 30 dudes one popped up

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Randaconda posted:

i laughed out loud the first time i used the form bloodline ambition and the murdered 30 dudes one popped up

Let's face it, they rather wasted a lot of development time on making the rest them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
While Silent Killer is probably better overall with its crazy Obfuscate I still can't stop myself from taking Dragon King every time it turns into one of those games. Being able to freely execute any prisoner without penalty and also get a stacking opinion bonus to boot makes just imprison-executing all of your problems away eminently viable.

CK2 makes bad people.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, iirc, the Dragon bloodline turns that nebbish guy you had to struggle with back in the mid-800s into an actual dragon, 400 years down the road. Can't really argue with that. :black101:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I may have gone a little overboard with breeding bloodlines into my dynasty, as well as raiding other realms (and plotting against the church) to steal their artifacts. These are Emperor Roland V of Britannia's bonuses:

From Bloodlines:

Morale Defense: +5%
Horse Archers Morale +10%
Damage Against Religious Enemies: +30%
Damage: +10%
Levy Reinforcement Rate: +15%
Personal Combat Skill: +69
Montly Prestige: +1.3
Montly Piety: +0.4
Vassal Opinion: +10
Catholic Opinion: +5
Christian Church Opinion: +5
Christian Opinion: +10
Norse Opinion: +5
Viking Opinion: +5
Pirate Opinion: +5
Ravager Opinion: +5
Sea King/Queen Opinion: +5
Welsh Opinion: +5
Armenian Opinion: +5
Georgian Opinion: +5
Bolghar Opinion: +5
Bulgarian Opinion: +5
Turkish Opinion: +5
Persian Opinion: +5
Strategist Opinion: +5
Hellenic Opinion: +5
Reformed Hellenic Opinion: +5
Periodically attracts the servitude of Great Warriors (if Catholic)
Children can prove themselves as Mercenaries
Raiding can give the Viking Traits
Characters tend to have their Councilors be Loyal
Gain more Devotion in Monastic Societies
Gets a larger share of Crusader War Chest (x2)
Zealots periodically join wars against Heathens
Characters tend to become Ambitious
Can use Invasion once per lifetime

From Artifacts:

National Revolt Risk: -3%
National Tax Modifier: +20%
Montlhy Prestige: +7.15
Monthly Piety: +5.23
Martial: +7
Intrigue: +3
Diplomacy: +6
Stewardship: +2
Learning: +11
Fertility: +15%
Health: +0.75
General Opinion: +5
City Vassal Opinion: +2
Vassal Opinion: +20
Liege Opinion: +30
Sex Appeal: +10
Same Religion Opinion: +19
Short Reign Years: -5
Personal Combat Skill: +22
Heavy Foot Troops: +5%
Morale Damage: +10%
Light Infantry: +10%

My dynasty is so beloved by Christendom, I've had five straight dynasts become pope.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I continued playing the Louis the Stammerer monarch journey since I’d never done a dirty karling run before and found successive karling popes happening without any interference. They were even electing 20 y.o. bishops due to their high prestige.

Great Liao golds are done too. Now I’m just two points away from the Joan of arc haircut. Theres probably a non-gold “have kids” cheevo on a previous journey I can do to finish it off.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tippis posted:

Also, iirc, the Dragon bloodline turns that nebbish guy you had to struggle with back in the mid-800s into an actual dragon, 400 years down the road. Can't really argue with that. :black101:

wait what

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah it's a fun little easter egg thing - if the founder of the dragon bloodline has been dead for long enough, eventually history remembers them as "literally a dragon" and their portrait changes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's a fun little easter egg thing - if the founder of the dragon bloodline has been dead for long enough, eventually history remembers them as "literally a dragon" and their portrait changes.

that owns but for some reason i was hoping if you keep the founder of that bloodline alive with immortality that they actually DID change into a dragon

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Tippis posted:

Rynoto posted:

I know this is almost certainly old news but I love the little detail for dragon's blood:

Where after enough time passes the picture becomes an actual dragon and changes their culture to 'dragon' because folklore.

Also being able to burn anyone alive for only piety cost and no opinion malus is great.

Yep. Takes a few generations at least before it flips though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 20, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

baw posted:

the only ones who were allowed to insult nobility and therefore kings often went to them when they needed an honest opinion about something

I think this can be seen to be nonsense if you just ask 'allowed by who'. There wasn't some impersonal force preventing non-jesters from giving honest opinions; there was only fear of powerful people. But powerful people could demand honest opinions from non-jesters if they wanted them, and fear affects jesters as much as everyone else.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And honestly, in most places, there were at least a few vassals powerful enough they could give their honest opinions without much fear.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Randaconda posted:

And honestly, in most places, there were at least a few vassals powerful enough they could give their honest opinions without much fear.

Also known as those assholes with the red thumbs down symbol on your council :argh:

Or the player, as a vassal, joining factions every five minutes just to thumb their nose at the alleged "king"

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Anyone else pumped AF to wear the poo poo out of that princess hat?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The North Tower posted:

Anyone else pumped AF to wear the poo poo out of that princess hat?

I didn't spend far too much time inviting random lustful women to my court and seducing them for bastards to legitimize for nothing!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellioning posted:

I didn't spend far too much time inviting random lustful women to my court and seducing them for bastards to legitimize for nothing!

that's the only viable strategy for the Provence 867 start

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-34-its-all-about-appearances.1406933/

New dev diary about the portrait system.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 21, 2020

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I thought starved or wounded characters looked bad, then I saw the last picture :stonk:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dwesa posted:

I thought starved or wounded characters looked bad, then I saw the last picture :stonk:

Yeah, diseases look horrifying. But this system is such an obvious, major improvement over how CK2 handled things, holy poo poo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I hope all those genes interacting won't slow down late game.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
jesus can you imagine the mods that are gonna come out of that system

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow that's an incredible improvement. Especially the diseases. :barf:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Yeah, that's very impressive what they've done there.

I remember when CK2 transitioned from the medieval-inspired profiles to the current portraits, early images of the system convinced me it would be a bad change, but in the end it came out much better than I could have hoped for. I'm glad to have been similarly wrong about CK3, those early poser models looked terrible and I just couldn't imagine it ever looking anything other than terrible and awkward, but drat, these are gorgeous. Consider my ability to feel human de-ripped.

I think the most important question though is if we inbreed do we end up with Habsburg jaws and stuff?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's also gonna be fun trying to figure out exactly who your wife slept with based on the appearance of your child

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Started a game as the Lithuanian guy for the CK3 challenges. Had a pretty good run but kept getting frustrated by the HRE Mega-Blob preventing me from doing anything for like 100 years. Somehow got a claim on it through inheritance and pressed it, pulling off a crazy win. Planned on dismantling it from the inside and granting independence to everyone I could in revenge (and to actually shake things up in Europe)

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976

Also - those portraits look great! I was really skeptical of the system at first but I really like what they've shown

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

those portraits are incredible, they've inspired me to actually try the monarch challenges. can i go back and do all the ones i've missed? which ones are particularly worth it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

those portraits are incredible, they've inspired me to actually try the monarch challenges. can i go back and do all the ones i've missed? which ones are particularly worth it?

Is there some way to import a save to avoid actually having to do it? I just want pretty clothes.... :ohdear:

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Yes--you can go back and do them still. Going to spoiler for some easy to grab points below, although I can say that I really enjoyed the first 4 scenarios (had more time to complete them, I think), especially the 3rd one: Saad Mordechai, High Chief of Baghdad (ended up making an iron man game and playing through end of game starting with him after finishing the Monarch Journey). Remember that you don't need to accomplish all of the goals in a single game, so you can cheese some of the easy ones such as have x number of kids, x number of [building], etc. Some easy to grab points here:

Harald IV Hårdråde, King of Norway is basically a standard 'win the English invasion' scenario, so you may already be familiar with the starting points.

Konstantinos II, Doux of Samos has a have x number of children goal, so take up seduction and get down to it.

Arwa Sulayhid, Sultana of Yemen was pretty easy to get 2 of the 3 goals (the survive 100 years one has been hard for me).

Shajar al-Durr, Queen of Egypt you can kill some people pretty quickly for a few free points.

Basarab I, King of Wallachia (the last one before the current Monarch's Journey) gives you level 2 of one of the challenges for starting the game, so grab some free points there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Eimi posted:

Is there some way to import a save to avoid actually having to do it? I just want pretty clothes.... :ohdear:

Yeah this would be ideal since i've gotten into a rut of just playing vikings recently and trying to invade weird places. For some reason I don't wanna play the game if I can't do that